Home The Bridge
Options

The Celestial Market - questions and feedback

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll admit I didn't even look at constellation sales. I can see why someone may gamble on constellations, in the hopes for a valuable polestar but if you don't have a lot of ISM (casual or not) it's going to be clear this is a high risk venture. If someone has limited ISM, why wouldn't they just stick to polestar sales?

I've bought some cheap constellations and have bids pending on others. I wasn't willing to spend crazy amounts, but for 300-500 ISM if I have a chance at a polestar going for multiple thousands I'm willing to consider it.
  • Options
    I'll admit I didn't even look at constellation sales. I can see why someone may gamble on constellations, in the hopes for a valuable polestar but if you don't have a lot of ISM (casual or not) it's going to be clear this is a high risk venture. If someone has limited ISM, why wouldn't they just stick to polestar sales?
    Because its advertised as “get the player you want”. A causal player may not understand that they are NOT actually spending all their ISM on this thing that gets you the “Borg Queen”. They will be disappointed and just leave. It’s probably too compex to unravel at this point but some in game warning or tooltips could help. More than help, I don’t know how a feature gets out of beta without someone who works on the game realizing it.

Unless the gambling is intentional by the developers. This was supposed to be the part of the game that was in contrast to the gambling of the portals.

• Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone just bought my Investigator polestar for 40k, so I decided to put some orders in for a few specific constellations that interest me and see how I do. No clue if anyone will take me up on my offers, but we'll see.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    Arnie wrote: »
    The market is set up to screw over the casual player. People are selling constellations for 10-50K. There is no guarantee anything in there will be useull once unlocked. Doesn’t impact the people here who has been playing for years but the casual player is going to get taken advantage of.

It’s like no one at WRG has ever taken an economics class or perhaps this is intentional. Constellations shouldn’t be in the market at all or they should have a cap on the price.

Or people could not pay the overly expensive price for those?

This is the feedback thread. My feedback is for the developers. I didn’t come here for your judgment. There are lots of safeguards in the game that came about from player feedback. If your position is to tell me to “be quiet and, just don’t do that”…well then you’re not here to give constructive feedback on the game, but to troll me. Stop.

No- my position is you stated that it's screwing over casual players/ WRG don't understand economics, when really it's quite simply buyer beware, and WRG simply create the market place. What would you do to change this? Set fixed prices? Block some from being offered?
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    What sets the value of polestars? I've bought and sold several so far, but all the prices are already set. I don't see where I could name my own price. Am I missing something?
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick wrote: »
    What sets the value of polestars? I've bought and sold several so far, but all the prices are already set. I don't see where I could name my own price. Am I missing something?

Yes, you can put in a buy or sell order for whatever price you want. It won't happen automatically, but it will sit there waiting for another player to accept your offer. Watch their tutorial video.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting to see this in a few days, when everyone will have years worth of polestars due to the bottleneck that is Quantum, and almost no one will have urgency to buy whatever they are looking for.

I'm sure that's the intention. If people are sitting on a years worth of polestars, they'll be more likely to buy quantum and/or credits to do more retrievals.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selene 7 wrote: »
    Feedback: After dematerializing polestars, please reselect the same one afterwards, and not the first polestar, so you can more easily dematerialize several of the same kind in a row (and avoid accidentally dematerializing the wrong one).

Second this. I think I dematerialized one (Andorian?) while trying to burn my Federations.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Mirror McCoyMirror McCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Another QoL suggestion.

Every time I go in to buy something, I search and then realize it's defaulted to my inventory for selling.

I would wager that most people go in to buy, not to sell. Could we get the default to change to "All Items Alphabetically"? Or to save your last selection, or maybe make different tabs for buying and selling?
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Kanon wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting to see this in a few days, when everyone will have years worth of polestars due to the bottleneck that is Quantum, and almost no one will have urgency to buy whatever they are looking for.

I'm sure that's the intention. If people are sitting on a years worth of polestars, they'll be more likely to buy quantum and/or credits to do more retrievals.
    Fair enough, but still it takes tons of dillithium to get up to date. We are talking about polestars that are years worst of retrievals (10 or 20 key purchases can account for a similar number of retrievals). About at least 5k if I'm not mistaken per month.
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    Because its advertised as “get the player you want”. A causal player may not understand that they are NOT actually spending all their ISM on this thing that gets you the “Borg Queen”. They will be disappointed and just leave. It’s probably too compex to unravel at this point but some in game warning or tooltips could help. More than help, I don’t know how a feature gets out of beta without someone who works on the game realizing it.

Unless the gambling is intentional by the developers. This was supposed to be the part of the game that was in contrast to the gambling of the portals.

Most things in this game are locked by level - I would assume that the vast majority of players will have gone through the ingame Crew Retrieval demo before gaining access to the Celestial Market (although confirmation of this would be nice). This should give them some foundation as to how Constellations and Polestars work. Perhaps some mistakes will still be made, but IMO a cap on the price or Constellations kind of goes against the purpose of the CM.

The market is locked by level 16. You can reached 16 in a day or two.
    Scroll down two post from yours and the poster named “Slick” can’t figure out how to set his own price. I’m sure he reviewed the instructions and he’s higher than level 16”

There are currently hundreds of transactions for 1 ISM. People are selling Polestars for 1 ISM rather than liquidate them for 800 ISM. Did those people watch the demo? They watched the demo and decided to screw themselves out of 799 ISM? Clearly there is a problem the time isn’t going to solve. (I’ll create a separate post for the developers to see about this)
  • Options
    The market is set up to screw over the casual player. People are selling constellations for 10-50K. There is no guarantee anything in there will be useull once unlocked. Doesn’t impact the people here who has been playing for years but the casual player is going to get taken advantage of.

It’s like no one at WRG has ever taken an economics class or perhaps this is intentional. Constellations shouldn’t be in the market at all or they should have a cap on the price.

This is the feedback thread. My feedback is for the developers. I didn’t come here for your judgment. There are lots of safeguards in the game that came about from player feedback. If your position is to tell me to “be quiet and, just don’t do that”…well then you’re not here to give constructive feedback on the game, but to troll me. Stop.

No- my position is you stated that it's screwing over casual players/ WRG don't understand economics, when really it's quite simply buyer beware, and WRG simply create the market place. What would you do to change this? Set fixed prices? Block some from being offered?

You think it should be buyer beware. Great. That is what is is now. I posted something for the developers to read that is something other than “buyer beware”. I am not interested in debating it with you since it is pointless. They will either consier it or not. No forum debate will change that. I am not interested in the fact that you don’t like my idea. You are not my audience.
  • Options
    ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭

You think it should be buyer beware. Great. That is what is is now. I posted something for the developers to read that is something other than “buyer beware”. I am not interested in debating it with you since it is pointless. They will either consier it or not. No forum debate will change that. I am not interested in the fact that you don’t like my idea. You are not my audience.

Without wanting to get into an argument about it- you're allowed your opinion, and to raise it with the devs. On the other side, if I see a point I disagree with, I will comment on it, so that the other viewpoint is heard.

I agree that a lot of the constellations are overpriced atm (or some polestars are underpriced). You think that WRG should interfere, whereas I think they shouldn't (at least at present). I'm definitely not saying you're not allowed that opinion- just that others are allowed to disagree, and say as much.

I hope you manage to get the polestars you want at a reasonable price!
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now need a ton of credits

Next update they'll be trading in Olay
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now need a ton of credits

Next update they'll be trading in Olay

By “they”, you mean Android users only, correct? :#
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feedback for WRG
    The inventory screen where you can view/liquidate polestars isn’t very intuitive.
    On the right you have 3 options
    “View in Retrieval”
    “Sell Now”
    [Circle with slash]

The circle wih slash is the option that gives you 800 ISM. Can you make that more clear. Some polestars have hundreds of sales for amounts below 100 ISM. Hundres of sales for 1 single ISM. The instructions say if you dismiss from your inventory you get 800 ISM. I hit sell from the inventory screen thinking that was the correct option, only to complete an instant sale for less than 800 ISM. Luckily it was for 715 ISM. I saw in another thread someone elese made that mistake before figuring put to use the circle/slash.

I like this idea. The space is really cramped, so I don't know how to make it happen. Hopefully it's doable.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to see how a lot of the market is settling down now. Still some interesting ones- a John Harriman constellation is for sale at a price of double the only useful polestar he holds (other 3 are the classic H/S/F). Someone sold a Assimilated Troi for around 4k, which seems pretty good value (hence it went before I could grab it).

I see some people offering constellations cheaply which then jump in prince- unsure if they're accidental, or being offered then quickly removed to make someone purchase the next most expensive one by mistake?
  • Options
     Bri Bri ✭✭✭✭
    I bought two Breen polestars yesterday for 10k and 12k ISM… today they’re going at 49k ISM making my purchases look thrifty.

Also sold 4x 5* rarity polestars for 140k ISM (35k each). All in all I’ve added 25 polestars at a net loss of 100k ISM, still got over 100k left, but don’t need to purchase for quite some time.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold an Author Doctor Constellation for 60k, not sure what was going on there (by mistake? because the chances of getting something bad out of it are huge, and the good polestar that you are looking for I imagine you can buy them for less than that)
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »

For me it's a risk/reward thing. I bought two Rarity constellations (one at 5k, one at 6k). One gave me a Common polestar, and the other gave me a Legendary. One of those holds no value for me, but the other I can either use for myself or turn around and sell it for significantly more than what I paid for it. Some Constellations have next to no value (Admiral Janeway, I'm looking at you), but others have a decent chance of paying off.

The funny thing is the rarity constellations are actually selling for reasonable prices even though the only way to acquire them currently is to fiinish top 1000 in an event. Was there was a free giveaway? Because I have a legendary polestar and I haven’t finished top 1000.

• Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I see some people offering constellations cheaply which then jump in prince- unsure if they're accidental, or being offered then quickly removed to make someone purchase the next most expensive one by mistake?

What’s going on is another player beat you to the cheap constellation and the game is automatically populating the next available one on the market. I got burned on that one yesterday. The price does pop up in the “are you sure” prompt, but if you’re trying to quickly snag something it’s easy to miss the dialogue. I hope they tweak that.

• Options
    ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    Trollita wrote: »

What’s going on is another player beat you to the cheap constellation and the game is automatically populating the next available one on the market. I got burned on that one yesterday. The price does pop up in the “are you sure” prompt, but if you’re trying to quickly snag something it’s easy to miss the dialogue. I hope they tweak that.

Appreciate that, but the cheap constellation is "too cheap". You'd have to manually put a price of 500 for example, and why would you do that when the next one is selling for 10k?