Home The Bridge
Options

Midweek Event Unleashed - feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaBlack wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    you gave it a try, it is not an activity that you like, why participate? There is no sarcasm or anything in my question, I really want to know.

I can tell my reasons to try - 2000 honor and 4* Cite. Honor is always a good thing, a 4* cite is sometines very usefull.

In my line of work I deal with a lot of objectives and targets, and they always have to be SMART. I am sorry to say but these objectives are not SMART. The A part is the problem. If there is RNG involved then they are not Achievable with any kind of resources but money to spend for another try.

Objectives can be very very hard to achieve using skill and in game resources and that is perfectly fine. But if there is RNG factor no mather how good you are, there is great chance you will have to spend dilithium (and buy it) to achive a goal.

And that makes it very bad gaming experience form many of us.

This entire game is nothing but a giant RNG. When you boil it down the game is a giant slot machine awarding cards for people who pull the lever more often. I agree it's a poor gaming experience, but after six years that's the game they have and I've seen nothing to indicate anything new.

That being said, a number of us have overcome the RNG fit the objective event. We've offered multiple suggestions on how to do it. And we even have mid level players say they're doing it.

If you really can't stand RNG, then as Shan said, don't play the event. But if you recognize the game is rigged and want to rig the odds back in your favor there are ways to do it if you're willing to listen.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be honest. Is it frustrating at times? Yes. Could I have done it, if I'd managed my Gauntlet cycles a bit better? Also yes.
    Figure on a total of 12 or so cycles per 48 hours. You'd need less than 4 wins per round, which is doable. Reduce the number of rounds to 8 for sleep, and that is still just six. Some rounds get less, but some might have more. I'll try again and adjust for it a bit. I'm willing to try again.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I messed up a bit and I joined Sunday's gauntlet by mistake (so the gauntlet achievement will be harder to achieve).
    Taking it as a challenge - see if I can get the 45 wins, accounting for real life getting in the way!
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the last MEU, I joined a gauntlet on Monday ~1.5 hours after it reset. I cleared 45 wins by Wednesday with time to spare, but I did use a lot of merits for refreshes.

For the next MEU, I will join a gauntlet on Monday before it resets, as suggested by @Navarch & others. It will be interesting to see how many merits I use this time. 🐉
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rewards are desirable, the objectives are achievable and don't require fiddling with crew space (I think the fusion as goal in objectives is the absolute worst unless it is with the month long for the crew member you are getting stars on). Managing crew space is already too tedious part of this game as it is.

agree with this - but does anyone else have lots of their new slots full of unfused 3/4s in anticipation of future fuse objectives?

...any idea when we'll get those back?
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rewards are desirable, the objectives are achievable and don't require fiddling with crew space (I think the fusion as goal in objectives is the absolute worst unless it is with the month long for the crew member you are getting stars on). Managing crew space is already too tedious part of this game as it is.

agree with this - but does anyone else have lots of their new slots full of unfused 3/4s in anticipation of future fuse objectives?

No unfused 3/4s, but I do have a couple of FF/FE'd purple crew sat at level 99 waiting to be immortalised. I'd anticipated them being finished off by now.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    I keep one at 99.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two 3/4 at 100 that I now have another copy to immortalize. I have started keeping all crew at a max of 99 if not fully fused to make sure I can immortalize a crew on short notice. But I have crew slots to spare since that is all I use dilithium for now and my crew is very good. I mostly leave crew frozen for events. For this event, I have at least a dozen crew I could unfreeze, but those already unfrozen are more than sufficient to keep me above the top 750 mark. I strongly advocate for crew slots over pack roulette.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Shan, here is some additional feedback.

Requiring 45 Gauntlet wins when this...

j367kgbfrt71.jpg

...keeps getting 65% every day and very few people have had a chance to win a copy yet is draconian.

I had the same thought. Anyone at 65% is awful. Honestly a Locutus or Bailok 65% would be even worse because you'd see nothing but walls. At least with the new crew we're not getting walls because most people don't have them yet.
  • Options
    Overall I like the different "difficulty" of the objective events. I do think the objective events are a good idea for the game to give you a handful of little goals between regular events. I am annoyed at having to play in what I consider a suboptimal way in order to achieve some of the goals (shuttle tanking, arena tanking, immortalizing, etc). If these Midweek Event Unleashed ones were coordinated to gauntlets that only have 25% crew (max) then I think that would be better for players. IMHO it is perfectly reasonable to not play in some of them if you don't have the time or resources or desire - we go through that same evaluation every single weekend event in order to decide what rank to go for, don't we? Just my $0.02 (and not that different from what a lot of others are saying on here...)
  • Options
    Doing better this time around. 9/45 on Gauntlet after two rounds. A third is soon coming. Last shuttles back in an hour. Half plus of Arena done. Chrons done. Safe to say I'm about 50% finished fourteen hours in.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    20/45 after two rounds. But even when you're ranked at 100, and refreshing over and over... And just seeing locutus and balok walls.

But I'm nearly half way there. Might be able to squeeze in one more round to ight
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed the gauntlet portion without spending any dilithium to revive in less than 24 hours after the event started and didn’t delay starting my gauntlet from Sunday so I would have two opportunities to rack up easy wins with the reset tonight. I did chew though a good amount of merits to refresh but don’t use them for anything else. I don’t have Tribbled Koloth and Korax but I did see plenty of them as well as many walls of gauntlet only crew.

With all that being said, I am not sure what the complaining is about to get 45 gauntlet wins in 48 hours. The 18 arena wins is not that difficult either with so many people generously switching to a low level ship when not competing. The 20 arena wins was ridiculous and they have since lowered it as I suspected at the time. As others have pointed out, it takes some effort but the super rare citation is worth it along with the other rewards.
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am 4 away from completing the gauntlet rounds. Although still doable from a timepoint-wise, joining a single gauntlet (Tues/we'd) for the event is considerably harder than joining two (Mon/Tues and wed/Thurs).
    I have found I have used a lot of merits (I used 1000 this morning) and I just kept getting walls. Everso occasionally I would find a weakpoint, but it is merit-expensive. Thankfully, it's only merits which I can recoup fairly easily.

I think the general strategy has to be: never join a Sunday gauntlet if there is an Unleashed event upcoming.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldude wrote: »
    I am 4 away from completing the gauntlet rounds. Although still doable from a timepoint-wise, joining a single gauntlet (Tues/we'd) for the event is considerably harder than joining two (Mon/Tues and wed/Thurs).
    I have found I have used a lot of merits (I used 1000 this morning) and I just kept getting walls. Everso occasionally I would find a weakpoint, but it is merit-expensive. Thankfully, it's only merits which I can recoup fairly easily.

I think the general strategy has to be: never join a Sunday gauntlet if there is an Unleashed event upcoming.

But there is the end of the event. I joined a gauntlet Tuesday morning when I started the event. That gauntlet will end tonight at 8pm Eastern Time. If I needed the extra rounds I can join a second gauntlet any time between 8pm and 1am. If I join between 8 and 9pm I even get two rounds of that second gauntlet.

If you're in Europe you may be sleeping during all of that time and then you're right you should avoid starting on Monday after reset or Tuesday morning. But for US players there is no problem.

For players further west who are awake when it starts they can even time their start around the event start to get a couple rounds just at the start of the event.
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am UK, so the gauntlet end is at midnight which is WELL past my bedtime
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I think I’m a mid-range player - been #1 in Admiral a few times, won half a dozen gauntlets, finished in the top 500 of events etc.

Whether through bad luck, time difference or bad management (perhaps a combination in varying degrees), I just cannot complete the arena or gauntlet tasks. I always fall a few short, and I refuse to spend Dil to make up the difference.

It’s frustrating, but as long as we get a premium pack just for spending a few chrons I don’t mind much. If that gets locked behind other tasks (I think there was some suggestion that removing prerequisites was only temporary), I’ll be rather grumpier.
  • Options
    Well, I'm down 15 Gauntlet wins. I'm doomed.
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with AviTrek - tank and stay tanked for arena and by playing the gauntlet, you will spend a lot of merits, but you also can gain merits back and the net cost for gauntlet isn't that much. I think maybe I was down 1k merits after two days, but I spent about 7k and recouped 6k.
  • Options
    I fell 3 wins short and was spending merits like crazy.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    The 45 gauntlet wins was a bit much.

I actually completed this on day one. I had 28hrs left when I hit my 45th win. I started out with a 17 win streak out of the gate. The key for me seem to be leaving two seats empty, and spending merits looking for good matchups.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    This time I took longer than expected. Started out with 19 wins after two gauntlets. And then promptly face-planted on my next two. Finished over lunch yesterday.

Since this was a fresh gauntlet I started out at 7:30 PM Monday but left it alone till after Midnight. I then started Gauntlets at 12:00 AM, 7:30, 11:30, 3:30 PM, 7:30, 11:30, 7:30 AM, 11:30.

Since there's a new crew to be had getting as many wins as possible on a daily basis is my default play style for the next several months.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep reading about leaving spots empty or using worse crew. How can that possibly help?
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Calhoun wrote: »
    I think I’m a mid-range player - been #1 in Admiral a few times, won half a dozen gauntlets, finished in the top 500 of events etc.

Whether through bad luck, time difference or bad management (perhaps a combination in varying degrees), I just cannot complete the arena or gauntlet tasks. I always fall a few short, and I refuse to spend Dil to make up the difference.

It’s frustrating, but as long as we get a premium pack just for spending a few chrons I don’t mind much. If that gets locked behind other tasks (I think there was some suggestion that removing prerequisites was only temporary), I’ll be rather grumpier.

Some pointers to help you out:
    1) Start tanking arena. Once you get below 20k there are plenty of bad ships/crew that you should be able to beat.
    2) Keep refreshing arena until you find a battle you can win. It costs nothing. You can find weak opponents and people tanking.
    3) Don't be afraid to spend merits in gauntlet. I spent between 1-2k merits to find weak opponents I could beat.
    4) Be sure to play gauntlet every four hours while you're awake. Losing a round to timing makes the objective much harder.

Beyond that, if you can share your gauntlet and arena crew, people can offer suggestions on what to tweak.

Thank you. I did points 1 (albeit I only got down to about 15k) & 4. I confess that I was unaware that arena refreshes were unlimited and free, and tend to be stingy on merit use.

I have most of the usual gauntlet regulars, but I certainly welcome tips on arena - I've never paid attention to the meta. I use the Bounty with Garth, Tribble Kirk, Survivalist Kirk and Reverend Phlox.

Profile is https://datacore.app/profile/?dbid=991731453775872
  • Options
    weakinteractionweakinteraction ✭✭✭✭
    Calhoun wrote: »
    I confess that I was unaware that arena refreshes were unlimited and free

I only picked that up from reading this thread after having spent dil on arena in the first MEU where the requirement was 20/20. @Shan - I do think there is an issue here with the "surfacing" (I think that's what I've seen/heard WRG call it) of this fact in the UI.

If I don't fancy taking on any of these, it's obvious I can press the button at top right:
    6khf3xsq69pw.png

But once I've done so, it fades out, so it's easily interpreted as having been my one chance:
    hcvmaqnoyljm.png

Taking those screenshots has reminded me to go back to tanking! (Since MEUs are continuing indefinitely, I do wonder what will happen next month when the schematics are for the Raven which some people might still want; I think we might see less tanking then.)

And you can see my arena setup there; it's nothing special but I guess if you don't know about Ardra that might be a useful pointer? She's "only" a 4* but provides a huge accuracy and crit boost at 6s right when people like Garth kick in. (Killy does the same thing as Garth but I think with slightly better passive stats; other options for a 6s activation 400% boom with no trigger include Rura Penthe Commandant, Fury Kes and a few others I can't remember.) I use the Krayton mostly because I find arena fairly tedious and the timer speedup gets me through it slightly quicker; the people who seriously play for rank I think now mostly use the Captain Proton ship because it can survive the big attack from this sort of Krayton setup and then just destroy it at leisure.