Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion: Skirmish Event Blight - ME#1 - 2022-06-02

Comments

• Options
    Iknamur_Iknamur_ ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Comment moderated. ~Shan

I gave my solution if I were the person in charge. I don't see why that has to be moderated. I didn't tell you what to do, but what I would do to show that I respect the players.

• Options
    SonjaSonja ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Peets wrote: »
    If you raise everyones vp point level by the same amount, then no ones rank would change. Only their point totalz.

Best decision would be for them to say “we botched the event, everyone gets their earned ranked rewards, plus in addition they get the rank 1 rewards. People in ranks 1-10 get legendary cites. Sorry. Please keep playing”

That way, the owners get a little sting for screwing up, an the players grt a nice package. Thats how you do it.

Do you think 1250 chrons, 10 battle tickets and 100 dilithium hurts the owners wallets? Its all pixels. And they own the printing press.

That's not fair. Because during the outage some people would be able to gain more VP points then others and go up several ranks.
    In 4-5 hours you can gain much more then what they are giving as compensation atm.
    Kanon wrote: »
    For starters, this event was corrupted by the time extension, and the only way to solve this is to take the snapshot suggestion, and give rewards based on the original end time (and then additional rewards, whatever, but the original rules must be respected)

Generally Skirmish and Galaxy events are not based on timings (you can finish the events in a couple of hours at any time during the event if you want), so a couple of hours of shortage shouldn't be a huge issue to solve, some chronitons should be mostly ok.

Factions events are different in that timing is crucial, so downtime even for a short time could be crucial, harming some players while not affecting others (downtime being when someone needs to resend shuttles). But changing the event for everyone is not a solution.

Same as above, not fair at all. People that wanted to burn intel in those 4 and 5 hours could have gone up a lot of ranks and gained a lot of chrons, credits, honor, etc.

I think they can extract an estimative report with online people & intel stock & chrons stock when technical issue appeared (those 4 hours). We could connect to game, but we could not play. We can calculate an estimative intention of playing in those 4 hours.
    P.S. When technical issue appeared I had 1200 intel & ~ 8k chrons and over 15 hours to burn all my chrons.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    I'm confused.
    Nobody has time to play but everyone will drop a lot of ranks.
    Or is it coincidence that just all the players on the forum can't play?

You should change your name to provocateur. I have yet to see you do anyyhing other than try and stir up the pot.

Yeah, I try and stir up the pot.
    Trying to make people widen their view then themselves.
    Trying to bring more logic and sense.
    (FYI, the amount of people has gone up since I'm keeping record. Yeah I'm surprised too)

If I see people making bad or false statements or arguments , I can't stop my urges to step in.
    I'm confused.
    Nobody has time to play but everyone will drop a lot of ranks.
    Or is it coincidence that just all the players on the forum can't play?

You should change your name to provocateur. I have yet to see you do anyyhing other than try and stir up the pot.
    He just keeps going with that kind of thing, it's been a while now. Just ignore it like everyone else.

You can ignore it but it doesn't make it go away.
    800 players in total will get an extra Spock. 500 come from the 1501-2000 bracket and 250 from the 751-1000 bracket.
    This means that 50 players in top 750 will get an extra Spock (6.6% of the top 750 players), while all 750 players will have to spend huge amounts of chronitons and time because of the 24h event extension.

It's the player base that is pushing each other in spending huge amounts.
    You can see this every week at the top 100 at the amount of hours that is needed to get there.
    Kim-Novak wrote: »
    Sonja wrote: »
    I calculated my "loss". If skirmish would finished when it supposed to finish, I would had rank 43 (under 50). Now I have rank 45. With this extra day I will probably finish between 50-75 -> rewards will be the same with the latest updates.

It is not the end of the world :)🖖
    You are only dropping 30 spots in 24 hs with 15k intel? Nice.

The difference between rank 45 and rank 70 is 700k points ~ 10.5k chrons. The difference between rank 40 and rank 45 is 217k points ~ 3255 chrons// rank 45 and rank 50 the difference is 190k points ~ 2850 chrons

That is right now. I've already dropped more than 20 places so I am out of the top 100. Why should I have to spend extra chrons?
    I don't care for the galaxy event but to many others, 10.5K chrons will go a looong way

Others would have dropped if it was not extended or not made their goals. How would you have fixed that? Give everyone rank 1 rewards?

Of course not

First of all, there should have been no extension. I don't know if they can, but take the ranks from the normal finishing time
    Instead of just lifting it up one tier, lift it up 2 - to a certain level
    Give away a free spock to people up to people who scored a certain amount of points. For example, cleared all thresholds
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why be cheap? It’s only pixels.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaiMon Bok wrote: »
    **chews popcorn in amusement at all the outrage over a free game**

HU-MAANS! I suspect everyone will get a SNW Spock (or possibly Pike) to smooth things over. I also predict a premature portal update.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I calculated my "loss". If skirmish would finished when it supposed to finish, I would had rank 43 (under 50). Now I have rank 45. With this extra day I will probably finish between 50-75 -> rewards will be the same with the latest updates.

It is not the end of the world :)🖖

This is my perspective as well, although I respect that it isn't shared by everyone. Now the top 2000 get a copy of Spock instead of the top 1500, and you get two copies in the top 1000 instead of 750. Overall it seems like a fairly plush cushion.

Personally, when I saw the delay I skipped my usual Sunday evening push for tonight, which was nice because I had a super busy weekend.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Of course not

First of all, there should have been no extension. I don't know if they can, but take the ranks from the normal finishing time
    Give away a free spock to people up to people who scored a certain amount of points. For example, cleared all thresholds

Some people will gain much more with the extension and prefer that.

Lifting two would still not be enough to compensate for what you could gain.

You can clear all thresholds in 2 hours (more or less), so this is not an option.

We can keep going but I just want to make a point that none of the solutions will be good enough for everyone and that it would be very difficult to find one. Everyone has different aims and goals.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iknamur_ wrote: »
    Giving one copy of Spock would not be enough for some players to compensate.
    How can someone judge for someone else what would be enough to compensate?

Errors happen and we must accept that there is nothing we can do about it, but I would expect to see that the developers care about fixing them and owning their mistakes. When the game goes down for hours during a competitive event, I'd expect the solution to be something that makes the people happy, not that punishes them further.

Offering a free Spock to everybody who participated in the event is the least WRG could do in the given circumstances. It won't be fair, it's far from perfect, but it would be a good starting points and proving that "all right, this one is on us". Plus the promise that no other event will be extended in the future, no matter what.

Throw in a carryover of unused intel and that works for me.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    Of course not

Some people will gain much more with the extension and prefer that.

Lifting two would still not be enough to compensate for what you could gain.

You can clear all thresholds in 2 hours (more or less), so this is not an option.

We can keep going but I just want to make a point that none of the solutions will be good enough for everyone and that it would be very difficult to find one. Everyone has different aims and goals.

My bad, I gpforgot how easy it was to hit all the thresholds, unlike dpfaction & galaxy, that's why I also suggested hitting a certain oiunt level - to show that people have been active & putting in the effort

This will hit people IMO who are around the 100 mark. It can easily see them go from 3 Spocks to 2 even with the extension

Gain more? Please elaborate. 50 more dilith & a few more extras?
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »

Errors happen and we must accept that there is nothing we can do about it, but I would expect to see that the developers care about fixing them and owning their mistakes. When the game goes down for hours during a competitive event, I'd expect the solution to be something that makes the people happy, not that punishes them further.

Offering a free Spock to everybody who participated in the event is the least WRG could do in the given circumstances. It won't be fair, it's far from perfect, but it would be a good starting points and proving that "all right, this one is on us". Plus the promise that no other event will be extended in the future, no matter what.

It is still makes no sense to me why we can't carry intel over after an event has ended. All other resources can be kept indefinitely.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

It is still makes no sense to me why we can't carry intel over after an event has ended. All other resources can be kept indefinitely.

No leftover rewards from galaxy are carried over. You just have to make sure you time it right so that you don't overspend. For me, it takes roughly an hour, give or take, to go through 50K of intel
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    So the problem has already been "solved"
    No further action is gonna happen
    That really is a slap in the face

wp28a2g1rqgj.jpg
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

No leftover rewards from galaxy are carried over. You just have to make sure you time it right so that you don't overspend. For me, it takes roughly an hour, give or take, to go through 50K of intel
    Hm, I think the galaxy super-rare items do carry over if you don't turn in all of them or have a weird number left over. It's been a while, but I remember seeing one in my inventory once & wondering what the frak it was (thank you, STT Wiki!). 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rares only carryover to that specific event if a rerun and you have to hold them in your inventory for possibly months to years. I've forgotten to turn in before lol.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    My completely uninformed guess - it's a bug-prevention mechanism. As (almost) everyone knows, when a skirmish event starts, Intel begins drip-accumulating whether a player starts the event or not. I have a suspicion that Intel would keep accumulating between events if it wasn't zeroed for everyone. Naturally, it shouldn't work that way, but I'm willing to believe it's possible (or at a minimum, that WRG worries that it could happen somehow).
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    After I literally took the entire month of May away from the game because I was getting fed up with the BS decisions being made around here, I come back and this is only the second event I've participated in since the Picking Up the Pieces event on April 28. Well, it seems WRG is still too busy breaking more things, including player morale, to bother picking up any pieces. Maybe I should have stayed gone for another month or twelve. Good job making Diablo: Immortal look like a better put together game by comparison.
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    Magpie wrote: »
    Shan, you've got to get a players advisory board or something to help in these moments. You've absolutely killed morale with this decision. You've crippled a number of your top players who plan carefully for events and have to work on Mondays. Please at least rethink the reward structure and listen to those who play a lot.

Due to time and technology constraints, such a board would not necessarily be that helpful.
    However, I would like to gather feedback from willing players, about each event type and gather your thoughts about the impact of potential outages.

There will always be imperfections but we can definitely try to get a better picture for better measures, when they are needed.

I have been already doing what you are suggesting. I have been for months on end sending error msg videos of action malfunctions/glitches. I have tons. And have sent in not only tickets during events with explanation to accompany video or screenshots, but also just simply FYI tickets please forward to tech dept.

Im absolutely on board if someone is going to pay attention. Its been well over 6 months jf extra work on my part for the glitches and malfunctions to get worse.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to ask something sincerely and with no judgment. Because i do want to understand and gain insight into peoples' thought processes. There were several pages of "That is not enough compensation" as soon as the Rewards Table adjustment was announced. Would some people be interested in actually sharing what they feel would be "enough"?

I mean, before the Rewards Table adjustment was ever announced, people were saying the only "fair" compensation would be for everyone to receive the First Place Rewards, regardless of how they did in the Event. {Or if they even participated?} I thought those were tongue in cheek joking posts. Now, I am not so sure. Please, if you feel like doing so, describe honestly what you feel would be "fair" compensation?

Some of the players have obviously never played a post-Apocalyptic game where the survivors of Humanity are living on ginormous floating Aircraft Carrier bases that the Devs tried to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the game by giving out a gift that was glitched. And the response to the glitch was to lock every player out of the game for THREE days, then "roll back" the game to a server save point that pre-dated the glitch and that also took items away from many PAYING customers who lost stuff they had legitimately earned and paid for.

And it absotively shows.....

The next time there is a glitch, don't be surprised if they do all they are "obligated" to do, which is nothing.....
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    I want to ask something sincerely and with no judgment. Because i do want to understand and gain insight into peoples' thought processes. There were several pages of "That is not enough compensation" as soon as the Rewards Table adjustment was announced. Would some people be interested in actually sharing what they feel would be "enough"?

I mean, before the Rewards Table adjustment was ever announced, people were saying the only "fair" compensation would be for everyone to receive the First Place Rewards, regardless of how they did in the Event. {Or if they even participated?} I thought those were tongue in cheek joking posts. Now, I am not so sure. Please, if you feel like doing so, describe honestly what you feel would be "fair" compensation?

Some of the players have obviously never played a post-Apocalyptic game where the survivors of Humanity are living on ginormous floating Aircraft Carrier bases that the Devs tried to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the game by giving out a gift that was glitched. And the response to the glitch was to lock every player out of the game for THREE days, then "roll back" the game to a server save point that pre-dated the glitch and that also took items away from many PAYING customers who lost stuff they had legitimately earned and paid for.

The next time there is a glitch, don't be surprised if they do all they are "obligated" to do, which is nothing.....

If it had only been the 4 hour outage, the ingame mail would have sufficed.

With their decision to extend the event 24 hours, i think at minimum everyone and i mean everyone shiuld have got a copy of spock.

Because with their response and with rhat email above that says those are the only compensations, here is the message: we messed up, then we messed up again and added an extra 24 hours of grinding for no reason other than to drain your resources further, and you are just gonna deal with it.

The “thats that” of it reminds me of the banning decision. The person in charge of these decisions obviously does not appreciate the community of players in this game, and while someone else got moderated for saying they should be fired, im actually in agreement that they should probably move on to slmething that makes them happier instead of finding ways to make all of us miserable.

This is a game. It should be fun, and in reality, having extra time to do an event should be a bonus, not a chore. But thats whats wrong with this game. They added 24 hours and no one was excited about tap tap tap tapping their way to hold the same rank they already earned.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

If it had only been the 4 hour outage, the ingame mail would have sufficed.

With their decision to extend the event 24 hours, i think at minimum everyone and i mean everyone shiuld have got a copy of spock.

Because with their response and with rhat email above that says those are the only compensations, here is the message: we messed up, then we messed up again and added an extra 24 hours of grinding for no reason other than to drain your resources further, and you are just gonna deal with it.

The “thats that” of it reminds me of the banning decision. The person in charge of these decisions obviously does not appreciate the community of players in this game, and while someone else got moderated for saying they should be fired, im actually in agreement that they should probably move on to slmething that makes them happier instead of finding ways to make all of us miserable.

This is a game. It should be fun, and in reality, having extra time to do an event should be a bonus, not a chore. But thats whats wrong with this game. They added 24 hours and no one was excited about tap tap tap tapping their way to hold the same rank they already earned.

I was thinking everyone 1501 and lower gets a Spock.
    Everyone who Ranks gets an extra Spock.
    The ones at the very top who get Spock FF get a Legendary Citation.

And, of course, this would have been yesterday when the Event ended. Because the extension is what made it hard for players who are not able for whatever reason to do that extra time. Or to use it to hold their position.

Send everyone a mail with some other stuff to say "Sorry". 1000 or more Sorrytons. Which would help everyone next weekend. Decent amount of Honour. The Accolades as they sent.

As I said, though. Some games would have done nothing. Not even taken into account that the down time would affect people negatively based on personal schedules and timezones. There were people who literally said they only had some time Sunday night to do the Skirmish for Sunday.

{The example I gave above of a game punishing players worse than PortalGate was real life, BTW.}

It's been said before, I believe, that someone who can actually fix problems quickly needs to have access to do so when a problem happens in an Event. Since the Events go across weekends, that means someone with either direct or remote access needs to be on the switch over the weekend.

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    pirunapiruna ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    It sure would be nice to hear directly from @Admiral Prince , @WRG Ben or someone else from the @WRG Team for a change. I know it's Shan's job to run interference for the devs, but I feel bad for her always having to provide cover for her teammates in these massive snafus.

This is the truth. They are always hiding behind the black curtain, not willing to step out and get some egg on their faces.
  • Options
    NoffeNoffe ✭✭
    I'm sure WRG knew they had done changes to live server, which hadn't been tested on a grand scale. A Backup plan in case of larger bugs/critters should have been made. Must be made.

I had only smaller issues on Saturday which I suppose was the bugs introducing themselves. The extension made it so I didn't reach my goal of rank. The prizes was less important for me. Monday was Witt Monday and bank holliday, so this was the event I had the chance to do it.

WRG probably though the extention was a really good way to solve the 4h downtime, and I think the "typo" of Chrons wasn't really a typo. It simply wasn't though through, and still 1250 isn't really a a huge compensation for those it affected most.

The modifcation of the brackets seems a bit harsh for the top contenders. I'm being polite. The notification of changes of brackets also came in very late. Why ? Because there was not plan in place.

My solution to fix this is sprinkle a bit more rewards (gold/purple cite ?/ extra behold ? ) and extend the crew rewards further down the rank. Also I liked the suggestion of carrying over the tickets, that really would have gone a long way of repairing. Or adding at the start of next skrimish.

If possible to identify the players normally playing those hours, some extra chrons - carry over tickets, their way. Then you wouldn't even need to compensate the rest of us.

I spent more than 100 dill on an event that got ruined, a bit stingy imo.

It's really sad I find the fix more disapointing than the actual bug.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    after having a day to sit back and enjoy a glass of prune juice I was able to reflect on the events. What has this really cost me?

Time? no.... I play anyway so I've not really spent any more or less time in the game
    Money? No.... I don't spend on this type of event.
    Frustration? Yeah.... See comments about, its been covered.
    Chronos? Oh yeah. but really I'm only down about 2k (factoring in what we get later). This event is "close" to Chrono neutral.
    Spock? TBD yet. Trying to get back above 2k. Really tough with work. thats my biggest issue/concern but I think I may be ok in the end.
    Cites? Strangely yeah..... with this running longer I've ending up leveling a bunch of crew and citing them for the freezer (burned most of my 4* cite supply)

Now as to fair compensation.....

I think if this happens in the future (too late to do this now fairly) they should pay out twice. at normal end and new end. Now I'm not saying to pay each person's rewards twice, but to pay your best position. yeah more work, but probably the most fair. for everyone.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!