Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion: Skirmish Event Blight - ME#1 - 2022-06-02

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    imdwalrus wrote: »
    I want to ask something sincerely and with no judgment. Because i do want to understand and gain insight into peoples' thought processes. There were several pages of "That is not enough compensation" as soon as the Rewards Table adjustment was announced. Would some people be interested in actually sharing what they feel would be "enough"?

A lot of the proposed solutions here aren't workable, or would have major consequences in other parts of the game. Give everyone Spock? You just permanently altered the Admiral division of Arena because of how good his ship ability is.

And really, some of the entitlement here is just gross. There's a good reason the developers aren't more active here, and users tagging them so they can yell at them more directly is a perfect example why...

I've tried to not use the "E" word. But the way some people have acted over this reminds of the time a Bad Egg went down a Bad Egg Disposal Chute while Gene Wilder had a spooky smirk on his face.....

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    I dont think that it is entitlement to expect that an announced event length of 96 hours actually stays 96 hours.

Events, for as long as i can remember, are thursday am through monday am. To change that, changes the essence of what people have used to plan and strategize.

The entitlement is completely on the end of the game owners, who are so disconnected from how their own game is played that they came up with this horrible solution in the first place.

Then, they LIED. They said the reward brackets would be expanded. And they most definitely were not. They have the dredded god complex that programmers are prone to.

And after my own time to reflect on this, im going to give the game owners 24 hours to come ip with a better solution, or at leadt a real apology, or i will quit and i will stop encouraging my in game friends to keep playing.
  • Options
    DAEDAE ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Shan wrote: »
    Magpie wrote: »
    Shan, you've got to get a players advisory board or something to help in these moments. You've absolutely killed morale with this decision. You've crippled a number of your top players who plan carefully for events and have to work on Mondays. Please at least rethink the reward structure and listen to those who play a lot.

Due to time and technology constraints, such a board would not necessarily be that helpful.
    However, I would like to gather feedback from willing players, about each event type and gather your thoughts about the impact of potential outages.

There will always be imperfections but we can definitely try to get a better picture for better measures, when they are needed.

I have been already doing what you are suggesting. I have been for months on end sending error msg videos of action malfunctions/glitches. I have tons. And have sent in not only tickets during events with explanation to accompany video or screenshots, but also just simply FYI tickets please forward to tech dept.

Im absolutely on board if someone is going to pay attention. Its been well over 6 months jf extra work on my part for the glitches and malfunctions to get worse.
    I want to ask something sincerely and with no judgment. Because i do want to understand and gain insight into peoples' thought processes. There were several pages of "That is not enough compensation" as soon as the Rewards Table adjustment was announced. Would some people be interested in actually sharing what they feel would be "enough"?

I mean, before the Rewards Table adjustment was ever announced, people were saying the only "fair" compensation would be for everyone to receive the First Place Rewards, regardless of how they did in the Event. {Or if they even participated?} I thought those were tongue in cheek joking posts. Now, I am not so sure. Please, if you feel like doing so, describe honestly what you feel would be "fair" compensation?

Some of the players have obviously never played a post-Apocalyptic game where the survivors of Humanity are living on ginormous floating Aircraft Carrier bases that the Devs tried to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the game by giving out a gift that was glitched. And the response to the glitch was to lock every player out of the game for THREE days, then "roll back" the game to a server save point that pre-dated the glitch and that also took items away from many PAYING customers who lost stuff they had legitimately earned and paid for.

And it absotively shows.....

The next time there is a glitch, don't be surprised if they do all they are "obligated" to do, which is nothing.....

There is no “fair” solution to solve everyones problems. I agree it is very complicated.

First I will share again that the event glitch and ability to enter the game was not isolated to a total outage on sunday.
    “Fair” compensation first would be to acknowledge and admit that some players were affected intermittently with inability to log in, and/or inability to skirmish since P2 started. And continuing into sunday after the global issue resolution, carried forward into the remainder if extended event.
    Second the unfortunate timing of the global outage is when many have set aside their main skirmishing hours/vs life to play.
    Extending the event was surely a poor discussion.
    Especially in a skirmish a short period of time (4hour) outage can bring a player from 6000rank to 500rank. I do it all the time. Unfortunately my main focus game-time to skirmish was during the outage, and my skirmish was already malfunctioning saturday for my brief spurts to use passive intel.

Fair vs not fair
    These 2 facts have thus-far been ignored. These additional complications should not be ignored and de-valued into a global outage that affected everyone.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is always people trying to defend the actions of the game producers, even if it means defending a game rule change hours before the game ends. It's fascinating
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »

Then, they LIED. They said the reward brackets would be expanded. And they most definitely were not. They have the dredded god complex that programmers are prone to.

they seem expanded to me. Spock is being given down to 2000 vs 1500. thats expanded.
    I think the problem is the top 100-1000 range, where the change is not so notorious (mostly same amount of spocks, a little dilithium added as rewards are moved one tier down)
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »

they seem expanded to me. Spock is being given down to 2000 vs 1500. thats expanded.
    I think the problem is the top 100-1000 range, where the change is not so notorious (mostly same amount of spocks, a little dilithium added as rewards are moved one tier down)

I think the current differences in some of those top tiers is pointless already. I'd switch to 5 tiers. based on copies of the 5* received. make it simpler.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the current differences in some of those top tiers is pointless already. I'd switch to 5 tiers. based on copies of the 5* received. make it simpler.
    It is off putting to move tiers just to get the same amount of copies of the legendary, maybe the rest of the rewards should be spiced up (maybe current event packs, with different amounts per tier, like constellations)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I was harsh here. Deleted
  • Options
    I'll give kudos, this is really what anyone wanted and is great to see.n4loj3oh4dau.jpg

Agreed, thank you for listening wrg
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    There is always people trying to defend the actions of the game producers, even if it means defending a game rule change hours before the game ends. It's fascinating

Game rules are made by game producers who should be allowed to change their own game rules.
    Would be strange if politicians are not allowed to change government rules that they made which is basically what you are saying. So yes, people should defend this actions.
    I don't want to live in a world where laws made in 1800ish would be legal forever. The world would be a sad place for some people.

Edit: WRG has listened to the tirades and gave us even more compensation. This is very generous WRG, thank you for the extra citation.
  • Options
    Peets wrote: »

Game rules are made by game producers who should be allowed to change their own game rules.
    Would be strange if politicians are not allowed to change government rules that they made which is basically what you are saying. So yes, people should defend this actions.

Is there a way to block or mute peoples posts? I am tired of this garbage. There is no way that saying a politician should be allowed to change the rules is gonna fly. Thats not a democracy and you are about to really trigger a lot of people, especially with whats happening in the supreme court of the usa right now. So back it off peets.

And please, someone tell me how to block this person. They are triggering a lot of emotions.

• Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to block or mute peoples posts? I am tired of this garbage. There is no way that saying a politician should be allowed to change the rules is gonna fly. Thats not a democracy and you are about to really trigger a lot of people, especially with whats happening in the supreme court of the usa right now. So back it off peets.

And please, someone tell me how to block this person. They are triggering a lot of emotions.

I have no idea what is happening in the supreme court of the usa, which doesn't interest me.

And yes, Politicians are allowed to change rules at a short time during crisis. For example the Corona crisis. So why shouldn't game developers being allowed to change game rules during a "crisis"?
    They'll both learn afterwards from it.
  • Options
    pirunapiruna ✭✭✭
    Well done, thank you for the citation.
  • Options
    Seven ConstanzaSeven Constanza ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the citation and the other goodies.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forum.wickedrealmgames.com/stt/user/ignore/toggle/12684/peets
  • Options

I have no idea what is happening in the supreme court of the usa, which doesn't interest me.

And yes, Politicians are allowed to change rules at a short time during crisis. For example the Corona crisis. So why shouldn't game developers being allowed to change game rules during a "crisis"?

Yes, just like boris johnson invoked emergency rules for covid, then got busted breaking those rules multiple times? Like that? The way he changed the rules for wveryone and then decided to again change the rules for themselves? Is that what you want to defend?

SERIOUSLY. How fo i block this person?????
  • Options
    Navarch wrote: »

https://forum.wickedrealmgames.com/stt/user/ignore/toggle/12684/peets

How to ignore people should definitely be stickied somewhere in the forums.

Thank you SO much
  • Options
    I'll give kudos, this is really what anyone wanted and is great to see.n4loj3oh4dau.jpg

Absolutely - very well done WRG. Eventually. :p
  • Options
    weakinteractionweakinteraction ✭✭✭✭
    I do give WRG kudos for fixing it on Sunday. When it happened, my heart sank and I thought we wouldn't see it solved until just before the event ended. But I do wonder if this had happened while they were in the office whether the response might not have been better. The 24 hours thing probably seemed like a good idea to them at the time (and I'll be honest, it worked out fine for me as I wasn't aiming to rank and it let me pick when to play rather than having to cram my last bits in during the work day on Monday).

The Kobayashi Maru they faced (having been dragged out of some bar in San Francisco and dumped straight into the simulator, to extend the analogy a bit too much) is that it's impossible to be "fair" in a situation like this with a global player base who sleep/work/etc. at different times. A different solution would have had a different set of players reaching for the pitchforks. Given the impossibility of fairness, I think it becomes more important (and likelier to smooth things over with the player base) to be generous.

I think we should have had:
    *no extension; its effect on the people competing at the top has been terrible
    *expansion of the tiers as we got, but much more generous (maybe everyone down to 25th getting 5 copies? Top 100 get 4, top 750 get 3 then 1500th for 2 and all the way down to 3000th for 1) - this should allow people who missed their main chance to bank VP to still get what they were aiming for
    *a 350k VP bump for everyone - this solves the problem of more casual players who might have scheduled an hour or so of going Thresholds And Out during the time of the outage missing out, without affecting anyone's ranks
    *honor, chrons and credits to the value of what we might theoretically have got if we'd tapped continuously all the way through the outage (my back of the envelope calculation puts this at ~6k each of honor and chrons and a quarter of a million credits, but now that the event's over I can't check the drop rates information button)

To answer Shan's question (can't remember if it was in this thread or another), I would apply the same idea to a galaxy if the same thing happened, minus the final point which doesn't apply there.

Factions are trickier as they rely on timing your shuttles etc. - in some ways that would make it less of a big deal but the unfairness is perhaps even more pronounced - someone could sleep through an outage with their 9 hour shuttles trucking on at the exact time someone else planned to burn through all their gold time boosts in half hour chunks. Maybe apply the same half-hour reduction as happens with the faction winner bonus to all event shuttles for the remaining duration, to help people catch up? (And those gold boosts become instant completion.) But to be honest I'd worry about that introducing more bugs...
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that this, overall, fixes the problem. I also would say that the problem was the extension, a problem completely fabricated, god knows why.
    I'M CONFUSED. IS THIS A HAPPY ENDING OR A SAD ENDING?
    IT'S AN ENDING. THAT'S ENOUGH.
    kjjc54w583kx.png

• Options

Click on his name
    Go to his Profile
    Click on the little person silhouette
    Click "Ignore"

pw7w9fddekb9.jpg
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭

Yes, just like boris johnson invoked emergency rules for covid, then got busted breaking those rules multiple times? Like that? The way he changed the rules for wveryone and then decided to again change the rules for themselves? Is that what you want to defend?

SERIOUSLY. How fo i block this person?????

And still he managed to keep his function after a vote.
    Anyway, the UK is not a democracy but more a concealed Prime Minister dictatorship.
    In a real democracy nobody has that kind of power but a group of people that are elected by the people and they vote what laws should go or not.
  • Options
    imdwalrus wrote: »

A lot of the proposed solutions here aren't workable, or would have major consequences in other parts of the game. Give everyone Spock? You just permanently altered the Admiral division of Arena because of how good his ship ability is.

And really, some of the entitlement here is just gross. There's a good reason the developers aren't more active here, and users tagging them so they can yell at them more directly is a perfect example why...

I'll be honest. I never even looked at his Ship Ability. {I usually do.} But, he would not be the first easily obtained Sledgehammer in the Game. Garth was a Recurring in a Mega. Survivalist Kirk building his hand-cannon was given in a mail. Talk to the Hand Sarek was an Event Reward, but didn't we also get a copy of him for a mess up?

I already have three 6 second Sledgehammers slotted and now Captain DeSoto handing them a bigger Hammer in the first Slot. Unless I need to slot him for a specific Skills match on a Ship, I won't be using Spock in Arena probably. Garth, Killy, and Commandant are all swinging their new enlarged Sledgehammers quite well. Especially now that my Sledgehammers are only getting used twenty battles a week.

But, I am sure he will be helpful for someone who does not already have three or four six second Sledgehammers.

Note: If you are using someone like DeSoto or Locutus to boost your 'Hammers, make sure they are in the first Slot if the Skill matches. {Not so important with Locutus, since he triggers at one second. But, if all have the same six second trigger, they fire left to right.}

• Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Event/Phase Ended" window popping up in the middle of the event is nowhere near new. This is just the worst it's been. I get it maybe three or so times a month. Usually closing the event and going back in or relaunching the game fixes it, but this shouldn't have been even the most remote of surprises.
    The compensation will NEVER make EVERYONE happy. There is always someone that is over entitled and will have a hissy no matter what. I'll take what I got and move on.
    What I and a lot of other people want is to put something in place to limit these sorts of problems or head them off. We are a smart, competent, and willing group here. USE US!
    Here's some suggestions:
    *Let's come up with an agreed upon expanded rewards table now. Let's have a discussion. Reach an agreement. Have a vote. Settle it. If there is something agreed on that can be pulled out if needed, that was generally agreed upon before hand, very few people can complain. This is the first time it was needed since the change in the table, so it is a new animal here.
    *Engineering Room needs a little adjustment. Can we get event threads there? Or maybe we need to start one ourselves. All problems for an event needs to be in one place. That's the logical thing. It will limit multiple threads for the same things, because the others were lost down in the feed or we couldn't tell it was event related. It would give a more centralized place to check and we might be able to spot a pattern, if all the event related issues were in one place. I suspect some of the small glitches are getting a pass because people don't want to be bothered with starting a thread or sending a ticket, but they may add a "me too" on an existing thread, especially if it was a one off thing. I'll admit to this myself. If it does it every week though... It's a symptom. One we clearly overlooked too long. We need to change that.
    *Can we get a "Delay thread"? You know a general "this is a few hours behind, but it's coming" thread updated as needed. We notice delays. We wonder. We complain. A little transparency would go a long way. If we are told ahead, even a little bit, it helps. Someone thought of us and we can empathize if we get met part way. Seriously, my mom noticed the time and asked who was in the pack. I had to tell her it wasn't up. "It's after noon?" "No idea why, Ma. They ain't said nothin."

Anyone want to add something constructive?
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    The delay for today's packs is part of the communique that was sent out earlier :)

Thank you, Shan. And please thank the Team for including the Citation! I think that was satisfactory {from the comments} for at least some of the people initially upset.