Home The Bridge

Gauntlet and blood pressure

Comments

• Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at this nonsense.... 3ci03oynixgr.png
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • I say this with the best intentions, honestly:

That is not a lot of trainers.

Stop using trainers as replicator fuel. Seriously. You will reget it later.

Even if you used every single trainer you have, it would not be enough to get a single crew from level 1 to 100.

That’s really not a lot. It takes 293,310 XP to get a crew to level 100. Your trainers sound like they add up to about 285,000.

When I was relatively new, I stockpiled them. I had probably more than 10,000 each of the lower leveled ones, and close to 1000 gold, probably a few thousand purples. Thought I was doing pretty well.

One day, I was bored and decided to immortalize seven of my crew. I ran out of every single one. I used hundreds to more than a thousand of grays and greens just to get crew up a single level, because I didn’t have anything higher than that.

Nowadays, I run out of them as I get them (except the grays and greens, I save them for rainy days... like when there’s an event with all new crew and I’m out of crew space, so someone’s got to be immortalized and sent to the freezer).

Seriously. It takes 18 gold to go from 70 to 80, 29 to go from 80 to 90, and 42 to go from 90 to 100. So that's what, about 90 just to get from 70 to 100. For ONE crew. When starting out, it's going to be quite some time before one can afford to throw them into the wind.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't spend on this game a dime and I don't intend to. I run only two shuttles for the moment and as I said before I have more than enough training programs of each rarity (over 1000 1* programs, over 1000 2* programs, over 400 3* programs, 70 4* programs and 70 gold programs at the moment). I'm about 20k rank in current event so my crew is pretty good considering most of them is less than seven days old. Still I almost all Gauntlet fights due to faulty Gauntlet design so no fruits from the Gauntlet at all. On the other hand I am able to win almost every ship battle on the Arena.

This is what I use to get one character fully leveled.

Level 1-8: 10 1*
    Level 8-20: 41 1*
    Level 20-30: 72 2*
    Level 30-40: 55 3*
    Level 40-50: 104 3*
    Level 50-60: 37 4*
    Level 60-70: 11 5*
    Level 70-80: 19 5*
    Level 80-90: 28 5*
    Level 90-100: 45 5*

You have a good supply of 1* and 2* trainers but need to save up more of the others or leveling crew is going to be hard.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I can answer this question myself! Gauntlet is designed from scratch to be best for the ones that have less or that have invested less or almost nothing! That is why, having a 1/5 is the same that haveing the same crew FF, what really matters is to have that crew at elast once.
    For those people, that have less, they do need Training programs!

that's a really thoughtful and insightful answer, never really thought about it that way.

It is not thoughtful, it's completely incorrect.

care to elaborate or just be snarky?
  • I can answer this question myself! Gauntlet is designed from scratch to be best for the ones that have less or that have invested less or almost nothing! That is why, having a 1/5 is the same that haveing the same crew FF, what really matters is to have that crew at elast once.

that's a really thoughtful and insightful answer, never really thought about it that way.

It's pretty simple. I said it before. Fresh player has weak crew and loses almost all Gauntlet duels. That's why Gauntlet is completely useless for such players. It is much easier to collect chronitons, training programs and merits through shuttle missions and voyages.
  • I can answer this question myself! Gauntlet is designed from scratch to be best for the ones that have less or that have invested less or almost nothing! That is why, having a 1/5 is the same that haveing the same crew FF, what really matters is to have that crew at elast once.

It's pretty simple. I said it before. Fresh player has weak crew and loses almost all Gauntlet duels. That's why Gauntlet is completely useless for such players. It is much easier to collect chronitons, training programs and merits through shuttle missions and voyages.

Yeah but you might as well still do the gauntlet at the same time because it doesn't tie up you crew and remember you get achievements for the number of rounds you complete win or loose and if you do win you get a little money or some merits, so its still worth doing.

Yeah but you might as well still do the gauntlet at the same time because it doesn't tie up you crew and remember you get achievements for the number of rounds you complete win or loose and if you do win you get a little money or some merits, so its still worth doing.

Yes, you can and you should play Gauntlet but these acheviements are less than nothing comparing to shuttle missions and voyages rewards. As if that wasn't enough Voyages achievements are far better. Gauntlet design is really bad. Nothing of help for new players. And it really doesn't matter my crew is not frozen in Gauntlet Arena if at the same time it doesn't benefit me .
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can answer this question myself! Gauntlet is designed from scratch to be best for the ones that have less or that have invested less or almost nothing! That is why, having a 1/5 is the same that haveing the same crew FF, what really matters is to have that crew at elast once.

Very much agreed. Even if you lose almost all rounds, it’s still worth a thousand credits every now and then and eventually much better rewards from achievements. If you don’t spend merits or dilithium, there’s exactly nothing to lose.

Very much agreed. Even if you lose almost all rounds, it’s still worth a thousand credits every now and then and eventually much better rewards from achievements. If you don’t spend merits or dilithium, there’s exactly nothing to lose.

You are missing the point. For new players Gauntlet rewards are merely crumbs in comparison to voyages or shuttle missions benefits. That makes Gauntlet a very poor design from a point of view of a fresh player. There is no doubt Gauntlet needs a complet rework. And you can get more EC from Battle Arena because you can actually win fights there on a regular basis.

You are missing the point. For new players Gauntlet rewards are merely crumbs in comparison to voyages or shuttle missions benefits. That makes Gauntlet a very poor design from a point of view of a fresh player. There is no doubt Gauntlet needs a complet rework. And you can get more EC from Battle Arena because you can actually win fights there on a regular basis.

Perhaps it might help if you considered that many of us on the forums have been playing for years. A newer player does not necessarily mean someone who has been around for a week, and hasn’t broken the top 50% of the commander division in the arena yet.

It often means someone who doesn’t have the resources to have many fully fused legendaries and super rares, but wants to be competitive in some aspect of the game. It’s difficult to be competitive in the arena and events when you don’t have the right crew with the right skills. And if they’re not FF, then they’re much less valuable for arena AND events.

Arena gets a lot more competitive towards the top. It becomes as much about your crew as selecting the right opponent. Unless you are like some of my fleetmates, who not only regularly attempt to get #1 in all divisions at once, but actually succeed at it.

You need FE crew to be successful in the gauntlet. You just don’t need FFFE crew. Which makes it better for those of us who don’t quite have the crew necessary to clear the ranks of a faction event.

Perhaps it might help if you considered that many of us on the forums have been playing for years. A newer player does not necessarily mean someone who has been around for a week, and hasn’t broken the top 50% of the commander division in the arena yet.

It often means someone who doesn’t have the resources to have many fully fused legendaries and super rares, but wants to be competitive in some aspect of the game. It’s difficult to be competitive in the arena and events when you don’t have the right crew with the right skills. And if they’re not FF, then they’re much less valuable for arena AND events.

Arena gets a lot more competitive towards the top. It becomes as much about your crew as selecting the right opponent. Unless you are like some of my fleetmates, who not only regularly attempt to get #1 in all divisions at once, but actually succeed at it.

You need FE crew to be successful in the gauntlet. You just don’t need FFFE crew. Which makes it better for those of us who don’t quite have the crew necessary to clear the ranks of a faction event.

Again, you are missing the point. If you have decent number FE rare and super rare cards you can get a lot more stuff, including training programs, from voyages and shuttle missions. And these shuttle missions does not have to be a part of event. Training programs as Gauntlet rewards are complete nonsense. If you do your shuttles and voyages right there is no way to be in need of trainers. They are literally raining from the sky in shuttles and voyages.

Again, you are missing the point. If you have decent number FE rare and super rare cards you can get a lot more stuff, including training programs, from voyages and shuttle missions. And these shuttle missions does not have to be a part of event. Training programs as Gauntlet rewards are complete nonsense. If you do your shuttles and voyages right there is no way to be in need of trainers. They are literally raining from the sky in shuttles and voyages.

... Really? You think there’s no way to be in need of trainers?

I have four shuttles that run continuously (outside of events, I don’t bother setting timers to check in exactly when they get back, but they rarely sit there unused for more than an hour at a time unless I’m asleep). I run two 4-5 hour voyages a day.

Without including trainers I get from warping missions, that’s maybe 80-100 blues, 100-120 purples, and 40ish golds a day on average depending on whether it’s five or six sets of shuttles, which factions I run, and RNG.

So, using the high range values, that’s 170,000 crew XP.

Easily used up in ten minutes.

So, how am I supposed to have an abundance of trainers?
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I have four shuttles that run continuously (outside of events, I don’t bother setting timers to check in exactly when they get back, but they rarely sit there unused for more than an hour at a time unless I’m asleep). I run two 4-5 hour voyages a day.

Without including trainers I get from warping missions, that’s maybe 80-100 blues, 100-120 purples, and 40ish golds a day on average depending on whether it’s five or six sets of shuttles, which factions I run, and RNG.

He may be much more judicious about who he choses to level. One of the reason new players feel so behind the 8 ball on trainers is because it takes the same amout of XP to level a 1* as it does a 5*, despite taking far less chronotons.

As a result, someone trying to level every character that comes by will easily feel the trainer crunch.

If, instead, you focus efforts on the occasional 4/5* s more, then it is a lot easier to find a balance.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

He may be much more judicious about who he choses to level. One of the reason new players feel so behind the 8 ball on trainers is because it takes the same amout of XP to level a 1* as it does a 5*, despite taking far kess chronotons.

As a result, someone trying to level every character that comes by will easily feel the trainer crunch.

If, instead, you focus efforts on the occasional 4/5* s more, then it is a lot easier to find a balance.

I agree with a lot of what both of you have said. First I have tons of training programs, like 10K+ of each, thou I don't really keep track of what I get and where, as much as you guys do, I just do it all;) That being said, I'm not sure if we are playing the same gauntlet? cause I play pretty much daily, and I can say its not hard to win gauntlet rounds, esp in the early rounds even for new players, if you focus on developing a even halfway decent gauntlet team, if you keep your points low, instead of going for big wins, you can easily win rounds, and there by gain win streaks which in reality is often better then an overall win anyways. so can a new player get rank 1-10 on the gauntlet? probably not, but they can earn rewards.

I'm sure your going to tell me i'm missing the point again, since it seems to be your favorite phrase;) thou you can probably make your point better if you were less condescending;) that being said, sure the gaunt let could use fixing, but even as "broken" as it is, it still has its uses, for old and new players, if its played right.
  • Shy Khan wrote: »
    Look at this nonsense.... 3ci03oynixgr.png

I'll see your nonsense and raise you a stack of bull$hit

Phlox 25/Picard 4532fpe3b8aumr.png

He may be much more judicious about who he choses to level. One of the reason new players feel so behind the 8 ball on trainers is because it takes the same amout of XP to level a 1* as it does a 5*, despite taking far less chronotons.

Of course I'm picky about keeping and leveling my crew. I've done my research and concentrating mostly on few green and blue crewmen particularly useful in cadet challenges. I also have 6 purple and 2 gold characters leveled enough to be very helpful in story missions, shuttles and voyages which gives me way more than enough training programs. This is a snowball effect. Better crew means more effective shuttles and voyages which means more and more training programs. It's a very simple mechanism. I just recalled a voyage which gave me 8 purple and 36 blue training programs, 64 chronitons, 33 honor points, 2 green replicator rations and second copy of uncommon Hoshi Sato. It was a very fruitful voyage. In the meantime I played a round of Gauntlet which gave me LITERALLY nothing. Conlusion is obvious. Gauntlet is of no help for fresh players.

He may be much more judicious about who he choses to level. One of the reason new players feel so behind the 8 ball on trainers is because it takes the same amout of XP to level a 1* as it does a 5*, despite taking far kess chronotons.

I agree with a lot of what both of you have said. First I have tons of training programs, like 10K+ of each, thou I don't really keep track of what I get and where, as much as you guys do, I just do it all;) That being said, I'm not sure if we are playing the same gauntlet? cause I play pretty much daily, and I can say its not hard to win gauntlet rounds, esp in the early rounds even for new players, if you focus on developing a even halfway decent gauntlet team, if you keep your points low, instead of going for big wins, you can easily win rounds, and there by gain win streaks which in reality is often better then an overall win anyways. so can a new player get rank 1-10 on the gauntlet? probably not, but they can earn rewards.

I'm sure your going to tell me i'm missing the point again, since it seems to be your favorite phrase;) thou you can probably make your point better if you were less condescending;) that being said, sure the gaunt let could use fixing, but even as "broken" as it is, it still has its uses, for old and new players, if its played right.

Of course you are missing the point or the scale for that matter. Fresh player (I just started my second week) can't be even remotely enough competitive in Gauntlet to get any decent reward. Yes, I play Gauntlet regularly. And yes, I sometime win but comparing to shuttles and voyages Gauntlet rewards are less than nothing.

Of course you are missing the point or the scale for that matter. Fresh player (I just started my second week) can't be even remotely enough competitive in Gauntlet to get any decent reward. Yes, I play Gauntlet regularly. And yes, I sometime win but comparing to shuttles and voyages Gauntlet rewards are less than nothing.

rckhre288voe.jpeg

Good to know that that’s less than nothing. (:

Yes, I really think there is no way to be in need of trainers. You just have to think out your way of playing. I know for a fact that if you play right you will be swimming in training programs of each rarity. I have a friend which have tens of thousands of training programs of each rarity and over 150 immortallized characters at the same time, mostly purple. He is not completely free to play, he uses Monthly Cards but still... it is possible to get free dilithium and in time buy another shuttles for free. And yes, you are right, story missions can get you much more training programs than Gauntlet. You just proved me right even more. Gauntlet is completely of no help for fresh players.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Completely of no help” is still the wrong phrase to use. Merits from achievements and individual victories, credits from victories, and items, crew, or portal pulls from ranked rewards does not match the definition you have given. If you were to say that the gauntlet isn’t worth the time invested until new players have a stable of FL/FE rare or super-rare crew in order to be able to put together win streaks, then you would have a point.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

rckhre288voe.jpeg

Good to know that that’s less than nothing. (:

For someone going 5-and-out, it will take a very long time to reach even 10k rounds for the 10 pull.

I've been playing and winning gauntlets and I am "only" at 13.6k. Yes, I think "nothing" is a fair assessment of what this player recieved.

You are completely wrong. I play this game for a week now and I have more than enough training programs of each rarity. In fact I often use them as a replicator fuel. Best source of training programs are shuttle missions and voyages. From what I have read and seen for myself Gauntlet is in fact a very poorly designed system with quetionable rng, hilarious loot tables, wall of clone characters, you name it. My own experience tells me Gauntlet is completely useless for a fresh player.

You must not be a Free to Play player.
    I'm just over 4 months and no longer very new, but when I was new, trainers were essential. They are less essential now that I reciwntly went to a monthly card and have 4 shuttles.
    Gauntlet has always been good for me, even as a fresh player. You don't get much, but you get a few things for free and you have the motivation to improve players. It also gives you an idea about which cards are useful; that was important for me until I found the forums.

I haven't spend on this game a dime and I don't intend to. I run only two shuttles for the moment and as I said before I have more than enough training programs of each rarity (over 1000 1* programs, over 1000 2* programs, over 400 3* programs, 70 4* programs and 70 gold programs at the moment). I'm about 20k rank in current event so my crew is pretty good considering most of them is less than seven days old. Still I almost all Gauntlet fights due to faulty Gauntlet design so no fruits from the Gauntlet at all. On the other hand I am able to win almost every ship battle on the Arena.

I say this with the best intentions, honestly:

That is not a lot of trainers.

Stop using trainers as replicator fuel. Seriously. You will reget it later.

Even if you used every single trainer you have, it would not be enough to get a single crew from level 1 to 100.

That’s really not a lot. It takes 293,310 XP to get a crew to level 100. Your trainers sound like they add up to about 285,000.

When I was relatively new, I stockpiled them. I had probably more than 10,000 each of the lower leveled ones, and close to 1000 gold, probably a few thousand purples. Thought I was doing pretty well.

One day, I was bored and decided to immortalize seven of my crew. I ran out of every single one. I used hundreds to more than a thousand of grays and greens just to get crew up a single level, because I didn’t have anything higher than that.

Nowadays, I run out of them as I get them (except the grays and greens, I save them for rainy days... like when there’s an event with all new crew and I’m out of crew space, so someone’s got to be immortalized and sent to the freezer).

You are wrong. I'm fully aware it's very little for seasoned players but you need to see the scale here. I am a new player. I don't need 100 level characters for the moment. Hundred gold trainers are way more than enough for me in this particular moment. And you are wrong saying I should stop using training program as replicator fuel. If you do it right you will get your characters more useful with way less effort. You just need to do it wise and with long-term plan in mind. Very, very simple idea.
  • Yeah I agree, some of the rewards are rubbish and some of the match up's **tsk tsk** but you do get some stuff for free, either some merits, crons, credits or some replicator fuel, which is always needed.

Credits I don't need, have like 21m but always need some merits and trainers are always useful.

i know that you get better stuff from shuttles and voyages but why not a few extra bits on top for no money (should you wait the 4hrs for a new match etc)

Have to use merits to buy shuttle missions have to use dil to extend voyages!

If you want to hit 1# then you are paying for it in events, gauntlet, arena or even voyages
    Here’s how I use trainers.

I pick 2-3 characters to level at a time. Usually, one of them is set to go into the freezer, one of them is useful but not very difficult (usually a 3*), chrons-wise, and the other is a 5* or a 4/4*. (Right now, I’ve got Desert MB for the freezer, Expedition Vash because of a single node she can crit, and 4/4* Shras.)

I can usually immortalize or FE a couple of crew in a week.

It’s much more useful to me than just keeping everyone at level 40 or something.

I have fleetmates who have over 30,000 of each kind of trainer. These same fleetmates have somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-400+ immortals with very few duplicates.

I definitely think it’s possible to have more than enough trainers.

Just not at the point I’m at in the game, which I readily accept. I used to have thousands of each, and then I realized that I was just stockpiling them, when I had crew who could use them, so I started to actually immortalize my crew. It’s the best thing I’ve done yet.

I didn’t used to play gauntlet. Seemed kind of depressing. But then I realized that losing is a key feature of the gauntlet. I just view it as spending some of my bad RNG, and I have gotten useful equippable items. I play for streaks, not rank, but still get top 100 consistently despite only having a few FE golds, so I get some ranked rewards as well.

Here’s the thing, though, about gauntlet vs voyages and shuttle missions.

Gauntlet doesn’t tie up your crew. You can still use them for everything else.

And while getting worthwhile rewards in gauntlet is more difficult than it is in shuttles or voyages, when you DO get worthwhile rewards in gauntlet, you have the potential to get things better than anything it’s possible to get through shuttles or voyages.

Gauntlet can drop 5* crew, it can drop equippable items that might otherwise take a few hundred chrons, etc.

Just because it’s harder to get those rewards doesn’t mean it’s useless. It’s a free resource. And if you’re in the game for the long haul, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be worth it.

It’s possible to do well as a f2p player there. That’s something that’s missing from other aspects of the game. The best rewards in voyages tend to come when you extend them with dilithium. Events, likewise, are more doable when you can buy event packs and immortalize everyone before the event starts. Shuttles have very limited rewards.
  • makes some good points there Clifford
  • I didn’t used to play gauntlet. Seemed kind of depressing. But then I realized that losing is a key feature of the gauntlet.
    If losing is the key feature of a game than this game's design is really bad.
  • Here’s the thing, though, about gauntlet vs voyages and shuttle missions.

Gauntlet doesn’t tie up your crew. You can still use them for everything else.

It's not important if you can't win a duel.

• And while getting worthwhile rewards in gauntlet is more difficult than it is in shuttles or voyages, when you DO get worthwhile rewards in gauntlet, you have the potential to get things better than anything it’s possible to get through shuttles or voyages.

Gauntlet can drop 5* crew, it can drop equippable items that might otherwise take a few hundred chrons, etc.

Simply not true.
    Gauntlet offers random items which most of the time you don't need. Voyages give instead chronitons which you can use to craft items you actually need.
    Gauntlet offer one gold character which is mostly really useful only in Gauntlet. Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it.
    edited February 2018
    And while getting worthwhile rewards in gauntlet is more difficult than it is in shuttles or voyages, when you DO get worthwhile rewards in gauntlet, you have the potential to get things better than anything it’s possible to get through shuttles or voyages.

Simply not true.
    Gauntlet offers random items which most of the time you don't need. Voyages give instead chronitons which you can use to craft items you actually need.
    Gauntlet offer one gold character which is mostly really useful only in Gauntlet. Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it.

Um, what? Bartender Guinan and Locutus are two of the top 10 crew with the highest voyage scores. Both only obtainable for f2p through gauntlet.

You can use both in arena if you have a level 5 ship, though I don’t know if I’d necessarily recommend them. Obviously useful for away missions with high max stats. Better base skills than most other crew, which makes them useful on shuttles.

How are they really only useful in gauntlet?

Edit: It’s also worth noting that gauntlet can drop chrons.
  • And while getting worthwhile rewards in gauntlet is more difficult than it is in shuttles or voyages, when you DO get worthwhile rewards in gauntlet, you have the potential to get things better than anything it’s possible to get through shuttles or voyages.

Simply not true.

Um, what? Bartender Guinan and Locutus are two of the top 10 crew with the highest voyage scores. Both only obtainable for f2p through gauntlet.

You can use both in arena if you have a level 5 ship, though I don’t know if I’d necessarily recommend them. Obviously useful for away missions with high max stats. Better base skills than most other crew, which makes them useful on shuttles.

How are they really only useful in gauntlet?

Edit: It’s also worth noting that gauntlet can drop chrons.

Guinan and Locutus can compete with other characters outside the Gauntlet only if they are fully or almost fully fused. Do you understand how small is the chance to achieve this? And for a fresh player this chance is almost nonexistent. That's why.

Yes, Gauntlet CAN (key word) drop chronitons but Voyages guarantee chronitons and offer additional (and far way higher than Gauntlet) chance to get even more of them than in these guaranteed packs.