Home The Bridge

Gauntlet and blood pressure

Comments

• Pallidyne wrote: »
    And while getting worthwhile rewards in gauntlet is more difficult than it is in shuttles or voyages, when you DO get worthwhile rewards in gauntlet, you have the potential to get things better than anything it’s possible to get through shuttles or voyages.

Gauntlet can drop 5* crew, it can drop equippable items that might otherwise take a few hundred chrons, etc.

Simply not true.
    Gauntlet offers random items which most of the time you don't need. Voyages give instead chronitons which you can use to craft items you actually need.
    Gauntlet offer one gold character which is mostly really useful only in Gauntlet. Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it.

So pray tell, what Super Rare or Rare have you gotten at 1/3 or 1/4 off of a Voyage that has better stats than 1/5 Guinan for Voyages?

Me? None. It should be pretty obvious. I play less than 2 weeks. And I have never said 1/3 or 1/4 character has better stats than 1/5 Guinan. I meant Voyages can greatly help to fully fuse your characters making them better than 1/5 Guinan. And your chances to ff characters via Voyages is far better than ff Guinan or any other Gauntlet character.
    And while getting worthwhile rewards in gauntlet is more difficult than it is in shuttles or voyages, when you DO get worthwhile rewards in gauntlet, you have the potential to get things better than anything it’s possible to get through shuttles or voyages.

Gauntlet can drop 5* crew, it can drop equippable items that might otherwise take a few hundred chrons, etc.

Simply not true.
    Gauntlet offers random items which most of the time you don't need. Voyages give instead chronitons which you can use to craft items you actually need.
    Gauntlet offer one gold character which is mostly really useful only in Gauntlet. Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it.

I mean I get some of your points, but if you said, less effective, I might believe it. Useless means you never get anything you do or might need. That's simply impossible. Even working towards achievements give you something

For that matter, why does it have to be either/or Gauntlet/Voyage/Arena? I find that playing some Gauntlet rounds while Voyages and shuttles run followed by Arena rounds gives the best possible total benefit.

Anyone else feel kinda trolled on this one?

Sure, sure I admit Gauntlet gave me something - extremely little merits and even less EC, almost nothing comparing to other sources.

When did I say it have to be Gauntlet or Voyages? I even said I still play Gauntlet from time to time.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Simply not true.

So pray tell, what Super Rare or Rare have you gotten at 1/3 or 1/4 off of a Voyage that has better stats than 1/5 Guinan for Voyages?

Me? None. It should be pretty obvious. I play less than 2 weeks. And I have never said 1/3 or 1/4 character has better stats than 1/5 Guinan. I meant Voyages can greatly help to fully fuse your characters making them better than 1/5 Guinan. And your chances to ff characters via Voyages is far better than ff Guinan or any other Gauntlet character.

Lol then what 3/3 characters are better than a 1/5 Guinan, rofl.

Simply not true.

You already stated you don't need Level 100 crew in a different post--- which I feel is setting yourself up for some bitter failure when you start hitting crew slot limits. Concentrating on one to two crew at a time getting them to 100 should be a priority for any form of longevity in the game. Lolly gagging in the meantime is just setting yourself up for pain.

Not exactly. I said I don't need lvl 100 characters for the moment[/]. I am fully aware though I will quite soon need few such characters and I'm slowly but steadily going into this direction. For example I have 3/4 Shras, 1/5 Suus Mahna Sarek, 1/5 Prisoner Cornwell, 1/4 Robin Hood Picard and 1/4 Shran. All these characters are about lvl 40-60. I also have very good green team for cadet challenges: 2/2 Data, 2/2 Hoshi Sato, 2/2 Worf, 2/2 Sisko, 2/2 Kes, 2/2 Bev Crusher, 2/2 Seven, 2/2 Janeway, 1/2 Kira, 1/2 Melora, 1/2 Sito, 1/2 Leeta. Most of them lvl 40-60 for the moment. I also have pretty good squad of blue characters (Maquis Torres, T'Pol, Brunt, Saavik, Donik, Pulaski and few others) but most of them still need leveling.

Good on Cadet Challenges... interesting. at 40-60, that might get you to Elite on a level or two.
    To maximize even your cadet performance having a ton at 40-60 is going to limit you. Spreading it rather than focusing may look good to you now, but will hurt you in the long term. I speak from experience in my own first few weeks and then months of play. A couple folks here steered me right back then and my performance went up dramatically. I was able to get more chrons on cadet day which led to more items which led to more trainers which led to higher level characters and an upward spiral.

But hey, if that's how you want to play. That's funny as it also limits your trainers available on trainer day.

Simply not true.

I HAVE NAVER MENTIONED BLUE CHARACTERS IN THIS CONTEXT. IT IS YOU WHO ARE TALKING ABOUT THEM.

Simply not true.

You already stated you don't need Level 100 crew in a different post--- which I feel is setting yourself up for some bitter failure when you start hitting crew slot limits. Concentrating on one to two crew at a time getting them to 100 should be a priority for any form of longevity in the game. Lolly gagging in the meantime is just setting yourself up for pain.

Not exactly. I said I don't need lvl 100 characters for the moment[/]. I am fully aware though I will quite soon need few such characters and I'm slowly but steadily going into this direction. For example I have 3/4 Shras, 1/5 Suus Mahna Sarek, 1/5 Prisoner Cornwell, 1/4 Robin Hood Picard and 1/4 Shran. All these characters are about lvl 40-60. I also have very good green team for cadet challenges: 2/2 Data, 2/2 Hoshi Sato, 2/2 Worf, 2/2 Sisko, 2/2 Kes, 2/2 Bev Crusher, 2/2 Seven, 2/2 Janeway, 1/2 Kira, 1/2 Melora, 1/2 Sito, 1/2 Leeta. Most of them lvl 40-60 for the moment. I also have pretty good squad of blue characters (Maquis Torres, T'Pol, Brunt, Saavik, Donik, Pulaski and few others) but most of them still need leveling.

Good on Cadet Challenges... interesting. at 40-60, that might get you to Elite on a level or two.
    To maximize even your cadet performance having a ton at 40-60 is going to limit you. Spreading it rather than focusing may look good to you now, but will hurt you in the long term. I speak from experience in my own first few weeks and then months of play. A couple folks here steered me right back then and my performance went up dramatically. I was able to get more chrons on cadet day which led to more items which led to more trainers which led to higher level characters and an upward spiral.

But hey, if that's how you want to play. That's funny as it also limits your trainers available on trainer day.

Yes, this is a very good and effective team and it will be better with every week. Remember, I play less than two weeks for now. I'm not in a hurry. No one is chasing me. I dont need that many chronitons from cadet challenges. I have my Voyages. I need cadet challenges mostly for some items like common science experiments.

Simply not true.

You're welcome to play your game how you will (obviously) but most players experienced a great trainer shortage early in their play history. If that has been fixed (or at least alleviated) with voyages, then that's awesome to hear. However, until you start pushing through the last two tiers of leveling with more characters, you haven't seen the hardest of the trainer crunch.

Yes, I'm well aware I will need many more training programs but give it time. I need to grow my snowball first.

Simply not true.

I HAVE NAVER MENTIONED BLUE CHARACTERS IN THIS CONTEXT. IT IS YOU WHO ARE TALKING ABOUT THEM.

You stated specifically rare and super-rare characters gained from Voyages were much more valuable than a 1/5 you might get from the Gauntlet. So frankly, you brought it in. Rare=3*, I stated then 1/3 and 1/4 and you then stated fused characters, so.. why did you say the Rares in the list of items Voyages gave being more valuable than a 1/5 Guinan?

Simply not true.

Yes, this is a very good and effective team and it will be better with every week. Remember, I play less than two weeks for now. I'm not in a hurry. No one is chasing me. I dont need that many chronitons from cadet challenges. I have my Voyages. I need cadet challenges mostly for some items like common science experiments.

I guess then you don't need shuttle boosts either.

Simply not true.

I guess then you don't need shuttle boosts either.

If you look closer at my green crew you will see many female characters there. For the moment I'm capable of getting basic boost packs but give me another week or two and I will get access to standard boost packs. They are more than enough. I'm also capable of accumulating decent amount of EC from day to day so I can buy at least one such pack every day. Boosts are not that much of a problem.

Simply not true.

You stated specifically rare and super-rare characters gained from Voyages were much more valuable than a 1/5 you might get from the Gauntlet. So frankly, you brought it in. Rare=3*, I stated then 1/3 and 1/4 and you then stated fused characters, so.. why did you say the Rares in the list of items Voyages gave being more valuable than a 1/5 Guinan?

I honestly don't remember mentioning blue characters in the context of Guinan. Can you give me a quote? I only said "Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it." There is no even a word about them being better than Guinan. You have made some strange assumption.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply not true.

You're welcome to play your game how you will (obviously) but most players experienced a great trainer shortage early in their play history. If that has been fixed (or at least alleviated) with voyages, then that's awesome to hear. However, until you start pushing through the last two tiers of leveling with more characters, you haven't seen the hardest of the trainer crunch.

Yes, I'm well aware I will need many more training programs but give it time. I need to grow my snowball first.

If you're using trainers as replicator fuel, it doesn't seem you are aware of the need, though.

Simply not true.

If you're using trainers as replicator fuel, it doesn't seem you are aware of the need, though.

Yes, I am aware of it. I simply use them to replicate some hard to obtain items. I do it very rarely but if I do it saves me much time and/or chronitons.
    edited February 2018

Simply not true.

I honestly don't remember mentioning blue characters in the context of Guinan. Can you give me a quote? I only said "Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it." There is no even a word about them being better than Guinan. You have made some strange assumption.

Actually

Simply not true.
    Gauntlet offer one gold character which is mostly really useful only in Gauntlet. Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very
    useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it.

"really useful only in Gauntlet---" which you then state that the other characters are better that you've gotten on Voyages for Voyages. Which of these characters that you have gotten on a voyage are better than an 1/5 FF Guinan for Voyages?

I know of several folks using 1/5 Guinan pretty usefully in Voyages due to her being a three skilled character, one of them being Med AND at 1/5 the variance that makes her so good in gauntlet boosts coupled with her base makes her DIP and MED higher than every 3/3 and doesn't do too shabby against most 4/4s. Voyages works on Base + average proficiency roll, not like shuttles which is simply base.

Please tell me again, which characters you're getting from Voyages are that much better than a 1/5 Guinan for Voyages?
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyages are a great place to use legendary crew that aren’t fully fused. My 1/5* Guinan doesn’t go on every single one (same as Abe Lincoln, Captain Pike, Orion Vina, Locutus, Wrathful Khan, Captain La Forge, and more) but I’ve never once sent a 3/3* crew on any voyage. Come to think of it, I don’t think I have sent any 4* crew that weren’t fully fused either. And it is tough to fully fuse any 4* character even if you extend voyages past 6, 8, or 10 hours because the voyage loot table has so many 4* crew to choose from.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyages are a great place to use legendary crew that aren’t fully fused. My 1/5* Guinan doesn’t go on every single one (same as Abe Lincoln, Captain Pike, Orion Vina, Locutus, Wrathful Khan, Captain La Forge, and more) but I’ve never once sent a 3/3* crew on any voyage. Come to think of it, I don’t think I have sent any 4* crew that weren’t fully fused either. And it is tough to fully fuse any 4* character even if you extend voyages past 6, 8, or 10 hours because the voyage loot table has so many 4* crew to choose from.

I have FFed no less than a dozen 4*s via voyages. Perhaps I keep around a larger "unfused" roster than others, but I haven't had any problems in sniping missing stars.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I have FFed no less than a dozen 4*s via voyages. Perhaps I keep around a larger "unfused" roster than others, but I haven't had any problems in sniping missing stars.

I’ve certainly finished fusing crew off of voyage rewards (Edith Keeler, Platonian Kirk, Commader Uhura, and Tash are just a few) but I did not get all of the stars for those characters from voyages. The assertion above seems to be that voyage rewards are all that a fresh player needs to be successful, certainly over anything that may drop as a result of playing in the gauntlet, when that is demonstrably false.

Simply not true.

Actually

Simply not true.
    Gauntlet offer one gold character which is mostly really useful only in Gauntlet. Voyages on the other hand give you opportunity to get many uncommon, rare and super rare characters which can be very
    useful in Gauntlet, Battle Arena, shuttles, voyages, story missions, you name it.

"really useful only in Gauntlet---" which you then state that the other characters are better that you've gotten on Voyages for Voyages. Which of these characters that you have gotten on a voyage are better than an 1/5 FF Guinan for Voyages?

I know of several folks using 1/5 Guinan pretty usefully in Voyages due to her being a three skilled character, one of them being Med AND at 1/5 the variance that makes her so good in gauntlet boosts coupled with her base makes her DIP and MED higher than every 3/3 and doesn't do too shabby against most 4/4s. Voyages works on Base + average proficiency roll, not like shuttles which is simply base.

Please tell me again, which characters you're getting from Voyages are that much better than a 1/5 Guinan for Voyages?

Prisoner O'Brien, Mirror Dax, Capt. T'Pol, Ambassador Sarek, EMH President of Earth should be for example no less competitive than 1/5 Guinan in Voyages. Many other purples will be much more competitive in shuttle missions and/or story missions. I'm trying to draw a bigger picture here. High usefulness in as many game areas as possible. That's why I said 1/5 Guinan is not that universal as you would like to think. Of course it is far better to have her than not to. I would very much like to own her but remember how hard is to get her in comparison to purple characters.
    edited February 2018

Simply not true.

Actually

Simply not true.

Prisoner O'Brien, Mirror Dax, Capt. T'Pol, Ambassador Sarek, EMH President of Earth should be for example no less competitive than 1/5 Guinan in Voyages. Many other purples will be much more competitive in shuttle missions and/or story missions. I'm trying to draw a bigger picture here. High usefulness in as many game areas as possible. That's why I said 1/5 Guinan is not that universal as you would like to think. Of course it is far better to have her than not to. I would very much like to own her but remember how hard is to get her in comparison to purple characters.

Wait, Mirror Dax is in the Voyage Drop tables? The last portal and voyage update communicated by DB was on October 12th and Mirror Dax was released December 6th.

Though released as event crew in August of 2017, President of Earth was not in the list of crew added in the October portal update. Same with Prisoner O'Brien, released as event crew in September, but also not in the portal update:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/414/hybrid-faction-galaxy-event-notes-first-impressions-10-12-time-portal-additions

Now Captain T'Pol was -- and her 4/4 stats are about equal to Guinan's though Ms G has that elusive MED. So you'd need to pretty much get real lucky with all 4 pieces to compensate.

Simply not true.

Actually

Simply not true.

Wait, Mirror Dax is in the Voyage Drop tables? The last portal and voyage update communicated by DB was on October 12th and Mirror Dax was released December 6th.

Though released as event crew in August of 2017, President of Earth was not in the list of crew added in the October portal update. Same with Prisoner O'Brien, released as event crew in September, but also not in the portal update:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/414/hybrid-faction-galaxy-event-notes-first-impressions-10-12-time-portal-additions

Now Captain T'Pol was -- and her 4/4 stats are about equal to Guinan's though Ms G has that elusive MED. So you'd need to pretty much get real lucky with all 4 pieces to compensate.

DB says many things. You probably have heard about Voyages only crew, right?
    If you don't like EMH President hologram than maybe Hippocrates Noah will be more tasty for you?
  • Instead of Prisoner O'Brien you could use Human Q for example.
  • This game heavily relies on rng. Casinos and money never get along. That's why I will never spend real money on this game, as simple as that.
    Sorry, but I'm just not buying this argument. This is not a casino, and the comparison is disingenuous. And you wonder why I said you were bitter about the Gauntlet?

You don't have to buy anything and I'm not a salesman. This game though is very much casino like. You pay money and have not a clue what you get. This is a very definition of casino. Yes, there are some rare exceptions like packs with guaranteed crew or chronitons but it changes nothing. So yes, this game is casino like, not even the slightest doubt about it.

Casinos are independently tested and regulated. So not so much like a casino.
  • Every reward chest is a disappointment. I only bother with the gauntlet to try and get Guinan. As long as she continues to elude me I'll continue to be disappointed in whatever I get instead of her.

Simply not true.

Actually

Simply not true.

DB says many things. You probably have heard about Voyages only crew, right?
    If you don't like EMH President hologram than maybe Hippocrates Noah will be more tasty for you?

Ah so this is some form of hypothetical based on reading the wiki or some such. Interesting.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    Is the gauntlet perfect? No, could it use tweaking or improving, Probably. Is it useless for fresh or new players? I still disagree with that assessment.

Well, you are wrong but it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Just cause you say so, doesn't make it true, and based on all the other feedback, your one of the only one who thinks so :)

Just finished another Voyage. Among others I got 4 purple trainers, 36 blue trainers, almost 60 chronitons, green Picard and decent amount of EC. I also played two rounds of Gauntlet for the moment which gave me some very little amount of merits (thirty something I guess) after a single victory. On the other hand I got way, way more merits from dailies.

In other words you are wrong not because I say so but because reality says so. :wink:

So? how does this prove anything other than the fact you probably dont know how to play gauntlet. I still don't understand why you keep comparing gauntlet to voyages, especially since your initial statements have nothing to do with voyages. You said gauntlet is useless to new or fresh players, or however you put it, which no matter how you try to twist the discussion is not the case. You claim to have only played for two weeks, well you sure are quite arrogant for being such a "new" player, perhaps you should listen to the dozen or so people who have played much longer, maybe you'll learn something?
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, anyone else thinking about how a “fresh” f2p player won’t actually get any purples from voyages except voyage-exclusives who only drop once, and thus being a 1/4* which won’t be as good as a 1/5* Guinan?

Purples only start dropping after the 6 hour dilemma, right? (With the exception of the voyage exclusives that come from a two-part dilemma, which can drop at 4 hours.) Which means that you need at least a few skills on your voyage at about 6k in order to reach that point. Which probably isn’t happening at all if your best crew is a 3/4*. Especially given that you keep mentioning the blue trainers and a handful of purples, which implies your voyage is barely making it past 4 hours.

On the other hand... you can get a 1/5* Guinan from a 3-streak, which is actually possible for “fresh” f2p players.

I was thinking the same thing, its very rare to get a purples from voyages that are less then 6 hours, so your right, not sure how if he is a f2p whos only been playing 2 weeks, is able to have any purples at all from voyages.

So perhaps the troll suggestion was accurate;)
    Is the gauntlet perfect? No, could it use tweaking or improving, Probably. Is it useless for fresh or new players? I still disagree with that assessment.

Well, you are wrong but it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Just cause you say so, doesn't make it true, and based on all the other feedback, your one of the only one who thinks so :)

Just finished another Voyage. Among others I got 4 purple trainers, 36 blue trainers, almost 60 chronitons, green Picard and decent amount of EC. I also played two rounds of Gauntlet for the moment which gave me some very little amount of merits (thirty something I guess) after a single victory. On the other hand I got way, way more merits from dailies.

In other words you are wrong not because I say so but because reality says so. :wink:

So? how does this prove anything other than the fact you probably dont know how to play gauntlet. I still don't understand why you keep comparing gauntlet to voyages, especially since your initial statements have nothing to do with voyages. You said gauntlet is useless to new or fresh players, or however you put it, which no matter how you try to twist the discussion is not the case. You claim to have only played for two weeks, well you sure are quite arrogant for being such a "new" player, perhaps you should listen to the dozen or so people who have played much longer, maybe you'll learn something?

Actually I was thinking something similar, as well as tying into his/her assertion that they don't 'need' level 100 characters.

If they concentrated on 1-2 characters, took them to 100, they'd definitely win some rounds in Gauntlet. Funny as I just got 3 premium pulls on a 3 streak (defeating pretty new opponents that didn't have anyone nearly FE) that I bet this one could take if he concentrated on one-two crew at a time all the way up. Got a nice behold off of that pull too :)

The side dodge of what characters they received, followed by characters that they could not have followed by the theoretical ones they might is a bit convoluted and again makes me question whether this is a vet posing as a new player.

• This game heavily relies on rng. Casinos and money never get along. That's why I will never spend real money on this game, as simple as that.
    Sorry, but I'm just not buying this argument. This is not a casino, and the comparison is disingenuous. And you wonder why I said you were bitter about the Gauntlet?

You don't have to buy anything and I'm not a salesman. This game though is very much casino like. You pay money and have not a clue what you get. This is a very definition of casino. Yes, there are some rare exceptions like packs with guaranteed crew or chronitons but it changes nothing. So yes, this game is casino like, not even the slightest doubt about it.

This is a very good point and it leads straight to the conclusion that this game may be in many ways even worse than a casino. But this is a story for another thread...
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game heavily relies on rng. Casinos and money never get along. That's why I will never spend real money on this game, as simple as that.

This is a very good point and it leads straight to the conclusion that this game may be in many ways even worse than a casino. But this is a story for another thread...

Well, there’s the bit where in a casino, you can walk away with nothing, whereas at least here typically we walk away with some honor and/or replicator fuel.