Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Vulcan Response - 02/15 - Edit Mystery Crew Revealed!

Comments

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    UnkieB wrote: »
    @Shan
    The OP in this thread says Event factions are Section 31, Hirogen, Cardassians which I assume is correct, but the actual announcement says Terran Empire, Augments, Maquis (which is what they were last week)...

Checking it out!
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    UnkieB wrote: »
    @Shan
    The OP in this thread says Event factions are Section 31, Hirogen, Cardassians which I assume is correct, but the actual announcement says Terran Empire, Augments, Maquis (which is what they were last week)...

My bad, and it is fixed now.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other stats

Suus Mahna Sarek
    FE 1/5 level 100
    DIP 469 (155-306)
    SEC 702 (246-525)
    SCI 164 (55-145)

Prospect Michael Burnham
    FE 1/4 level 100
    DIP 214 (86-174)
    ENG 433 (50-143)
    SCi 595 (137-282)

Ambassador Shras
    FE 1/4 level 100
    CMD 421 (76-189)
    DIP 711 (55-112)
    SEC 252 (52-110)

Desert Michael Burnham
    FE 1/2 level 100
    DIP 217 (24-77)
    SCI 309 (78-204)
  • I believe this makes Burnham the first person to have 2 2* crew?
    Not that either of them is useful, beyond immortalization achievement.

I use Prisoner Michael Burnham all week long. Haven't used Festive Jadzia Dax in weeks. I keep her active, though, in case I decide to run a mission I rarely do where her SCI/DIP combo would still be helpful.
  • I am thrilled to have Ambassador Shras! He looks fantastic. Thanks to DB for including a classic Trek character.

I'm a Discovery fan but I am a bit taken aback by the flood of Burnhams - couldn't we get a little more variety? Also, for an event called "The Vulcan Response" I'm surprised that the Vulcan trait is not giving a bonus. Maybe next week?

Can't complain about the free Kung-Fu Sarek though -with the pack I pulled, I now have him 2-starred. So he won't join the numerous 1-star legendaries in my over-flowing crew quarters. Those five free slots sure filled up fast!
  • Speculation for how this event plot is going to go:
    At the end of this event, we're going to find that this crisis has been run by the Dominion, and that Tarah is either a changeling, or unknowing pawn.

We now know that the Andorians are also being attacked, apparently by the Vulcans. Also, the next/final event is titled "Founders at War." Put those two together, and I think it's going to be the Founders behind all this trouble, engineering a crisis to destabilize the Federation and move in.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Here's a question... who will the 3* ranked reward be for this event?

There are currently no 3* versions of Sarek, Burnham, Shras, or Cornwell. There are also no 3* Andorians or crew from ST:Discovery, aside from Expedition Shran from the previous event.

Perhaps an unannounced 501st crew? Random Janeway? Jazz Musician Riker?

Any ideas??

Imma guess Sub-Commander T'Pol

Scott

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Imma guess Sub-Commander T'Pol
    5mzx6n6ptpax.gif
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great artwork on the 2 new Burnhams. Especially the desert version looks amazing. Give that specific artist more orders :p
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least we got Shras in Threshold instead of Burnham so maybe DB is listening to our complaints.
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Burnham should've been 3*. There is always Spock for 2* and he wasn't THAT recently in event.

I use Prisoner Michael Burnham all week long. Haven't used Festive Jadzia Dax in weeks. I keep her active, though, in case I decide to run a mission I rarely do where her SCI/DIP combo would still be helpful.

2* Burnham didn't make it into my rotation mostly because Festive Jadzia exists. With Sci nodes covered and Sec covered by Worf Burnham got fridged.

Desert Burnham will also be frozen, can't replace the top Fed/Alien/Woman with just anyone, you'd have to be REALLY good to get me to consider freezing Dax.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    http://tenforwardloungers.freecluster.eu
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicole K wrote: »
    Burnham is the lead on the show, so of course we're getting more of her. I don't understand all the hate she's getting. Sonequa Martin-Green is an excellent actress, and I think she's done a great job as Burnham. I very much enjoyed Discovery and I'm looking forward to the next season. It's nice to see Star Trek do things a bit differently. I'm glad the show has been successful and will be continuing. Aside from those who are fixated on continuity and wanted another Rick Berman style trek show (which would have been a borefest as we've basically seen that go as far as it can over 5 series and those mostly horrible tng movies), the show's been getting pretty positive reactions.

I don't recall many people saying that she is a bad actress. I just don't want a new card for her every single week (or two in this case).
  • Grant77 wrote: »
    Burnham is the lead on the show, so of course we're getting more of her. I don't understand all the hate she's getting. Sonequa Martin-Green is an excellent actress, and I think she's done a great job as Burnham. I very much enjoyed Discovery and I'm looking forward to the next season. It's nice to see Star Trek do things a bit differently. I'm glad the show has been successful and will be continuing. Aside from those who are fixated on continuity and wanted another Rick Berman style trek show (which would have been a borefest as we've basically seen that go as far as it can over 5 series and those mostly horrible tng movies), the show's been getting pretty positive reactions.

I don't recall many people saying that she is a bad actress. I just don't want a new card for her every single week (or two in this case).

I am a huge fan of Discovery. That doesn't mean I want 11 Burnham variants. Or even 6. I want another Tilly, Another Dr. Cluber, a 4* Georgiou, Mirror variants, and Bryce, Detmer, Owosekun, Rhys, and Airiam. It's the same reason we complain about there being 11 Janeway variants and 11 Riker variants. It's too much. There are other characters to use.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    http://tenforwardloungers.freecluster.eu
  • Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Grant77 wrote: »

I am a huge fan of Discovery. That doesn't mean I want 11 Burnham variants. Or even 6. I want another Tilly, Another Dr. Cluber, a 4* Georgiou, Mirror variants, and Bryce, Detmer, Owosekun, Rhys, and Airiam. It's the same reason we complain about there being 11 Janeway variants and 11 Riker variants. It's too much. There are other characters to use.

I don't have any issue with what you're saying. However, I do think it's reasonable that the lead characters in a series show up a lot more than supporting cast. I have seen quite a bit of hate directed towards Discovery and Burnham in general. Lots of people seem to be upset about Discovery. That was what prompted my comment. When I see people saying we should get more cards from unpopular shows like Enterprise, which had low ratings for a reason and basically almost killed Star Trek, instead of cards from Discovery I just don't get it.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have any issue with what you're saying. However, I do think it's reasonable that the lead characters in a series show up a lot more than supporting cast. I have seen quite a bit of hate directed towards Discovery and Burnham in general. Lots of people seem to be upset about Discovery. That was what prompted my comment. When I see people saying we should get more cards from unpopular shows like Enterprise, which had low ratings for a reason and basically almost killed Star Trek, instead of cards from Discovery I just don't get it.

Low ratings or not, Enterprise season 3 might very well be the best that Star Trek has to offer. Not to hate on Discovery because I like it so far, but it doesn't even come close to that level of quality yet.
  • Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Low ratings or not, Enterprise season 3 might very well be the best that Star Trek has to offer. Not to hate on Discovery because I like it so far, but it doesn't even come close to that level of quality yet.

To each his own I guess. For me, Scott Bakula made Enterprise unwatchable. He's about the worst actor I've ever seen, and I'd put his ability on par with David Hasselhoff. Again, there's a reason nobody watched this show when it was on, and bad writing, bad acting, and low budgets have been consistently recognized reasons the show was a failure and did not even make it to 100 episodes.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

To each his own I guess. For me, Scott Bakula made Enterprise unwatchable. He's about the worst actor I've ever seen, and I'd put his ability on par with David Hasselhoff. Again, there's a reason nobody watched this show when it was on, and bad writing, bad acting, and low budgets have been consistently recognized reasons the show was a failure and did not even make it to 100 episodes.

I don't think Bakula is a terrible actor - he was quite good in Quantum Leap. But holy crap was he miscast as Archer. Just completely the wrong acting style for a Starfleet Captain - he's all charm, no gravitas IMO.
  • Nicole K wrote: »

Bakula was miscast in my opinion. I did not like his approach to playing Archer.

Low budgets on the other hand, well I've never heard that before.
  • Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    robownage wrote: »

I don't think Bakula is a terrible actor - he was quite good in Quantum Leap. But holy crap was he miscast as Archer. Just completely the wrong acting style for a Starfleet Captain - he's all charm, no gravitas IMO.

I liked Quantum Leap when I watched it as a kid on USA Network, who seemed to show it all the time along with their weird science show and dougie houser. I recently worked on captioning an episode or two for my transcription/captioning freelance job, and it didn't hold up for me. Maybe the bad taste from Enterprise soured me on Bakula, or maybe it was something else. It's funny how tastes change as time passes.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭

Final season of Enterprise had a TV rating of 3 million.
    How many people are watching Discovery? We don't know because CBS is hiding their data but judging by social networks probably under a million.

Shazad Latif and Mary Wiseman have around 8000 followers on Instagram. They are THE MAIN CAST of the currently most promoted Star Trek property.
    Jolene Blalock who is now in her forties and doesn't even act has more followers than them.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

You're looking a different audience than the general public in this game. The first season and timing of the show are what really killed Enterprise. If you swapped it with DS9 in terms of release date, they would also swap ratings. People were just burnt out on Star Trek, but people that have taken the time to watch Enterprise know that it is very high quality writing and storytelling after season one.

Enterprise was indeed a very good show (minus the Temporal Cold War and alien Nazi plot...). I actually liked Scott Bakula as Archer, since he did sort of challenge the expectations on who Archer was. It would have been easy to make him Picard or Kirk-like, but instead they gave him his own, bizarre personality. Why couldn't Archer have been eccentric? The whole crew was so rag-tag, with no idea what they were doing, it was great.

I don't like Discovery though. Not just because it's new, and not because it's different. Not even because it doesn't "feel" like Star Trek (which it doesn't). I just don't find myself drawn to any of the (very underdeveloped) characters, and the plotline is rather "meh". The acting is inconsistent and it's getting to the point that I think they're just killing characters and doing stuff for shock value ("this isn't your father's Star Trek!") and not for any other real purpose of storytelling or message. It could improve though, since most Star Trek series have rocky starts, so I'll be sticking it out, I'm just not currently impressed.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    In the age of streaming and PVRs, it’s hard to completely judge viewership. But this article is informative...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2018/01/30/hulu-is-gaining-on-netflix-but-star-trek-discovery-is-an-unstoppable-monster/amp/
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

You're looking a different audience than the general public in this game. The first season and timing of the show are what really killed Enterprise. If you swapped it with DS9 in terms of release date, they would certainly also swap ratings. People were just burnt out on Star Trek, as evidenced by Voyager's final seasons. Those who have taken the time to watch Enterprise know that it is very high quality writing and storytelling after season one.

I think that's an assumption most Enterprise apologists make.

But then in some respects, Enterprise might have done well If it had come out before DS9 as we hadn't seen what a good story arc looked line in Trek form before DS9. The advent of good non-Trek Sci Fi like Farscape, Firefly (not my cup of tea but popular), and others also gave Enterprise something to compete against. DS9 just had to compete with B5 and in many cases just shared the same audience (and guest actors) since most markets had them run at different times (in some cases the same night back to back). Trek was no longer the ultimate go-to SciFi with Enterprise 'cause if you didn't like Bakula in the captains chair, you could go watch Browder or Fillion, or Sorbo (with Robert Herbert Wolfe of DS9 running the first seasons of Andromeda) etc etc.

Voyager suffered from some really bad storytelling mid-run, thanks to the departure of Piller and later Taylor. (Braga never met a character he couldn't disregard their development to do something wonky with).
  • Frankly, I don't like Discovery. I think the casting has been superb - I'm a fan of virtually every significant actor on the show - but the writing consistently fails to develop characters, who are tossed through betrayals and salvation and romance arcs seemingly solely for the convenience of its incoherent plot. The various alien races are generic; based on the pilot I thought we'd see Discovery do tremendous things in terms of exploring the Klingons but instead they've been generic space monsters.

Worst of all, Discovery has lost the basic moral compass that separates Trek from every other science fiction show out there. TNG and DS9 lived off the moral compass: TNG in idealizing it, DS9 in struggling to meet it under impossible circumstances, and whatever the flaws of VOY and ENT in execution, in aspiration they reflected those two shows in spirit. DIS is more Game of Thrones or Battlestar Galactica in tone and morality than Trek and to me that's a very basic betrayal of the franchise.

We were due for a new Trek, a revitalized Trek, but Discovery has yet to prove it can be that. I thought the S1 finale's heavy-handed speechifying was a clumsy step in the right direction, so I'll see what S2 brings before I write the show off entirely. If we look solely at S1 from other modern Trek series, they're all pretty weak, though for different reasons, so Disco deserves a bit of patience as it looks around to see if it actually has a soul.

* Exception to all of the above: Saru and the Kelpiens generally.
    * Naturally this reflects my personal opinion and I don't begrudge people who actually like Discovery - in fact, I wish I shared their view because I *really* wanted to like this series. I've tried not to be overly negative about it on these boards out of respect to those people, but when I see 'why do people like garbage fires like Enterprise but hate an actual good show?' I get my nose out of joint.

I like that people are more real in Discovery. Starfleet isn't full of perfect people focused on doing the right thing for the right reasons all the time. I can relate to the themes of redemption, second chances, and growing over time into a better person that ran throughout this show. I find that much more real than Star Trek has ever been. People struggle with what it means to live up to the principles of the Federation, they just don't blindly believe them because it's accepted by everyone. In the end they still choose the hard right over the easy wrong, but it's nice to see some people struggle and fight to get to that point.