Home The Bridge

Do you like the new Daily Mission challenge for Voyages?

Comments

• Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this has too negative an impact.
    They just need to change it to 20 honor for each daily cleared rather than be required to clear all of them. Yes, that would make it 220 if someone cleared them all, but that's completely fair if they expect us to do more work for it. Then if they add new dailies (maybe a gauntlet related daily) it just adds another 20 honor but doesn't require anyone to complete it, causing them to lose out on all honor.
  • Yes, its a nice addition.
    Eh, I run voyages every day so it's just more free stuff. The only complaint I have is the rewards are kinda lame and I feel they could have done better.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Opinion/Don't care either way.
    I have no dog in this fight, as with my VIP 62436 account and my VIP 0 account, my day and play style is set around quick 5 minute check-ins every hour or two. That allows me to finish all dailies on both accounts well before dinner time.

Now that's just me, and I know many folks who have posted and shared their side are impacted in some fashion. Not everyone plays the game on a phone they carry with them in their pockets all day. Not everyone has access to internet 24/7. Not everyone has the same playstyle, goals or objectives. But at the end of the day, we all play. Yay. I'm just going for more rhymes, so what the hay, hear what I say, bae? K? It's late and to my bed I must go lay before through my window come the morning ray.

Anyway

Unrelated but related, we were having a discussion on Discord the other night about crew slots, and I noticed that the Wiki page for crew slots was out of date - didn't properly display the current MIN/MAX available to a player. I pulled out a spare phone and started up a new account and new game to confirm the floor of slots is at 65. That was Thursday. It's Sunday. I'm still playing that account - but not because I'm oddly addicted to this game - no, it' s because I'm interested how this new daily may curb a brand new player and it's swinging my vote from "I don't care" to "We need to make it 10/11 for the 200 honor".

A brand new player can, at best, do an hour Voyage without it dying. They just don't have the crew to do any better, which means they can't hit dilemmas, which means they can't clear dailies. Now, I don't know about you, but if I go download a new game from the interwebs, install it on my phone and start to play - and one of the first things I notice is that it is absolutely totally impossible for me to clear the daily goals UNLESS I SPEND MONEY, I'll uninstall that game immediately. What has happened, inadvertently, is that you've told a brand new player that they can't play or advance in this game without spending. And this is me playing a new account, so I am probably a few days ahead progress wise where a complete n00b would be on the same account.

TL;DR
    We need to change the requirement to be 10/11 dailies for new players, if not for existing players. This isn't a feasible goal for too many.

Do you plan on leveling up the "new" account to the point where you CAN regularly complete 2hr voyage? I'd be curious to see how long that actually takes to get a crew to that point.

Based on spreadsheets, FFed 2* crew with maxed Constellations could easily hit it. That said, I don't know how long it takes to get to that point these days (or if I mix of 1*/partially leveled 2*s can get there)
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just need to change it to 20 honor for each daily cleared rather than be required to clear all of them. Yes, that would make it 220 if someone cleared them all, but that's completely fair if they expect us to do more work for it. Then if they add new dailies (maybe a gauntlet related daily) it just adds another 20 honor but doesn't require anyone to complete it, causing them to lose out on all honor.
    Such an elegant, simple solution that pleases probably everyone.

I imagine I'll hit the achievement most days without trying, and some days I'll miss it if I'm too busy to be bothered with managing Voyages.

But the bigger problem is what people have mentioned. These progressive games are already daunting for new players to join, having to face off against all of us with our immortal legendaries. Why make it harder for them to achieve in the non-competitive realm too?
    #newbiesmatter
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question, what level do players have to achieve to unlock Voyages?
    I believe its 10 for the Arena and Cadet challenges. (As a new player I didn't have those unlocked my first day, I think I was on day 2? Might have been 3... mostly due to waiting for chrons and trying to figure out how to play.
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you plan on leveling up the "new" account to the point where you CAN regularly complete 2hr voyage? I'd be curious to see how long that actually takes to get a crew to that point.

Based on spreadsheets, FFed 2* crew with maxed Constellations could easily hit it. That said, I don't know how long it takes to get to that point these days (or if I mix of 1*/partially leveled 2*s can get there)

Working on that very thing now. It's not an apples-apples comparison as I know infinitely more than the average new player, but I can tell you right now it's a strugle. I am sending voyages that last barely an hour and take 24 minutes to recall like clockwork. It nets about 15 chrons, 30 Blue trainers and some MISC stuff. I'll take it.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭

A has a 1 in 5.5 chance to get 450 5* ship schematics every day from the dabo wheel just from the 5000 credit spin. That's over a 50% chance every 3 days. A player would need two drops of the same ship to build it, and then have enough to raise it to level 2, giving the player a 2100 AM ship.

Most players should get lucky and get a 5* ship within a few weeks of playing.

• Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three big issues that negatively impact on the game.

1) It increases the amount of times you have to log in to the game.
    2) It forces crew, often the best, to be tied up.
    3) It makes it a lot harder for new players to do the dailies.

1)
    To do the dailies before this, I would have to log in a minimum of twice a day.
    Once in the morning to send out shuttles, perform two scans (one using ads), send out four shuttles.
    A second time in the evening, a third scan, more shuttles, and time to sit down and do the cadet challenges, crew levelling etc.

Now I have to log in a minimum of four times. once to send out the voyage, and three times to do dilemmas. I would have to log in a fifth time to recall when AM is running low, or if I expect to reach the fourth dilemma.

A new player who can only manage to get to the first dilemma would have to log in at least six times to do this daily, and those times are out of sync with his four log ins for shuttles.

A player who can manage to get to the second, but not the third would need to run two voyages a day. Both of these need a minimum of three log ins, so again 6 log ins.

These log ins have to be spaced at certain times throughout the day, and my boss would be very annoyed if he knew I was stopping work every hour to play a phone game. It is bad enough playing faction events at work.

2)
    I use my best crew for voyages. I have them running most of the time apart from at the start of events, and event change over.

Especially for faction events, I need all my crew available at the start. This daily interferes with an import part of the game. I could well imagine thing would be a lot worse for expedition events.

A new player will not have the crew I have, and tying them all day for one daily seems too much.
    Two shuttles need 6-8 crew. A voyage needs another 12, all of which are unavailable for missions.
  • No, this has too negative an impact.
    wasted a booster to get a shuttle back in time to get my 7, then realized there was no way I was finishing my dilemma's. I couldn't get the one back in time, resend, wait 2hrs, and it didn't have enough steam left to get to the next one on its own.

Thanks again for wasting my time, items and energy on this game, by adding such an amazing 25 merit daily, that is so hard for us small people to obtain.

Start selling 200 honor for 25 merit every day and I won't complain any more.
    More Merits please!
  • No Opinion/Don't care either way.
    If anyone is interested, I’ve created a petition asking DB to take another look at the daily rewards. The addition to Voyages to the Daily Rewards is an issue for a number of players.

You can find it in the “Make it So” section.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, its a nice addition.
    I originally voted "yes" for myself, since I usually complete 6-7 dilemmas a day, so I was happy to get an extra 25K credits and the piggy bank-breaking 25 merits. But after feedback from some fleet members, and reading forum comments, I've come around to the "no" camp. The other 10 dailies can be completed in a single time block of an hour or so. For active players whose lives get in the way of logging in more often than morning-coffee and bedtime-pillow-fluffing times, the voyage daily is unattainable. I understand that DB's goal is to get our eyeballs on the game as often as they can (which is fine), but this specific mechanism punishes a subset of players with no in-game way to overcome the issue (unlike the problem of new players having trouble with the target, for whom the in-game solution is simply to build up their crew over time).
    I originally voted "yes" for myself, since I usually complete 6-7 dilemmas a day, so I was happy to get an extra 25K credits and the piggy bank-breaking 25 merits. But after feedback from some fleet members, and reading forum comments, I've come around to the "no" camp. The other 10 dailies can be completed in a single time block of an hour or so. For active players whose lives get in the way of logging in more often than morning-coffee and bedtime-pillow-fluffing times, the voyage daily is unattainable. I understand that DB's goal is to get our eyeballs on the game as often as they can (which is fine), but this specific mechanism punishes a subset of players with no in-game way to overcome the issue (unlike the problem of new players having trouble with the target, for whom the in-game solution is simply to build up their crew over time).

Actually scans cannot be completed in a single block of one hour, as I believe there is a 3 hour cool down, even if you ad-warp one, you still need the third. Shuttles also, unless you are a brand spanking new player or have not played up all your factions (or have deliberately sabotaged them down to a lower level) require at least 2 3 hour visits, more if you have fewer shuttles.

• DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    For active players whose lives get in the way of logging in more often than morning-coffee and bedtime-pillow-fluffing times

Is such a player truly active?
    It alienates new players. As such player I can honestly say it was a bad idea.
  • MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    Drek_P wrote: »

And, oh boy guess what, we played this game for a LONG TIME, with just having the daily bonus of whatever the daily bonus of competing that task was, we didn't have a 10/10 to complete for 200 honor.

Could someone clarify this for a newer player? Did there used to be one daily task instead of 10 or 11?
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

And, oh boy guess what, we played this game for a LONG TIME, with just having the daily bonus of whatever the daily bonus of competing that task was, we didn't have a 10/10 to complete for 200 honor.

Could someone clarify this for a newer player? Did there used to be one daily task instead of 10 or 11?

No, what @Drek_P means is that Honor is a relatively new currency. We used to get different things for airlocking crew. Trainers, etc.

Without honor, there was no “Complete all daily tasks” for honor.

There were fewer daily tasks, too. Also, there was a point at which there were no daily tasks.

This game was completely different two years ago. (:

Basically the daily tasks were their own reward. If you did 20 ship battles, you got the rewards that went with those, nothing cumulative based on how many other daily tasks you did. So you could pick and choose what you did, and the only thing you lost out on was whatever daily reward that was.

So if I couldn't complete the scans and shuttle missions, it wasn't a big deal, I just didn't get some merit or credits, but I could do all the others and get those bonus'

With the addition of the 'big bonus' for completing all daily tasks came the 200 honor. It was nice to have while it lasted.

I really feel bad for those coming in now, it is hard enough to try and 'catch up' in a game, but loosing out on those 200 honor now, that's pretty big, I remember when that kind of honor was the difference between me getting trainers or not getting trainers.

Oh well, its a shame DB doesn't think about all their players when they make changes, I'd much rather support a company that cares.
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Actually scans cannot be completed in a single block of one hour, as I believe there is a 3 hour cool down, even if you ad-warp one, you still need the third. Shuttles also, unless you are a brand spanking new player or have not played up all your factions (or have deliberately sabotaged them down to a lower level) require at least 2 3 hour visits, more if you have fewer shuttles.

Quite correct, my bad. I log in often enough that I just never have to worry about shuttle counts and scans so I glossed over the timing. But if you have 4 shuttles, you could still complete the scans and shuttle achievements with 2 log-ins. Regardless, voyage achievements require more regular activity. All I'm saying is I understand why an established but not-as-active player (I got 'ya Dralix) would be frustrated by this new mechanism.
    Hmm... it seems I don't quite know how to use this quote tool. :o Note to self: use the preview button.
    Quite correct, my bad. I log in often enough that I just never have to worry about shuttle counts and scans so I glossed over the timing. But if you have 4 shuttles, you could still complete the scans and shuttle achievements with 2 log-ins. Regardless, voyage achievements require more regular activity. All I'm saying is I understand why an established but not-as-active player (I got 'ya Dralix) would be frustrated by this new mechanism.

If you have four shuttles you've either been around long enough to get that much achievement dilithium or you've spent.

New players or ones who have not spent the DIL are coming in 4 times for the same value.

I can see this being some level of frustration for someone that less active, but frankly, a person that less active I would not see having that much of an honor debt as they're not spending hours online during events, etc, gaining new 5s and such.

• DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I can see this being some level of frustration for someone that less active, but frankly, a person that less active I would not see having that much of an honor debt as they're not spending hours online during events, etc, gaining new 5s and such.

And this goes to the point I've tried to make here and in other threads. There have been some reasonable complaints about the change. But the notion of someone who doesn't have much time to play being harmed by this? I say they're more harmed by not having much time to play.
  • edited March 2018
    I can see this motivating people against making very long voyages, due to recall time. Also, there should have been an increase in honor reward to go with it: do more, get more.

And regarding revamping some of the rewards: things like "10 merits"... they don't even buy you a single refresh in the gauntlet. They have become devalued, so they should be increased.
    I can see this motivating people against making very long voyages, due to recall time. Also, there should have been an increase in honor reward to go with it: do more, get more.

And regarding revamping some of the rewards: things like "10 merits"... they don't even buy you a single refresh in the gauntlet. They have become devalued, so they should be increased.

Actually on the long haul voyages, I do agree with you. It actually could decrease Dilithium purchases to go chase Thot Gor, etc.

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, I think the poll numbers speak for themselves. 46%, a clear plurality oppose the change. 31%, not even 1/3 are in favor. Between 46% opposed and 22% who don't care, that's 68% of the players who would be fine with removing the change. Those are pretty bad numbers for a new feature. Unless DB's point was to make the honor harder, they should seriously reconsider removing or redoing the daily mission.
  • Wesley M ClarkeWesley M Clarke ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I thought that dailies were supposed to be something that everyone can do, a list of things that simply require participation, then offer a sense of accomplishment.

But how? I have just started a F2P account this week, I have 1 3*crew member, so I can't do the dailies at the weekend? I will still do the other rewards I can do, get some credits, get some merits, all help leveling crew.

At the moment, with my current crew, I may, and I stress may make an hour on voyages, when my little crew can make 2hrs I will consider that reward enough

seem to have lost my quote marks
    Not that bad idea, poor implementation. New free to play players will find it very hard or even impossible to achieve for a very long time. Thumb down.
  • Wesley M ClarkeWesley M Clarke ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not that bad idea, poor implementation. New free to play players will find it very hard or even impossible to achieve for a very long time. Thumb down.

but wont it give them something to play for?

Or just make them go away. Why the risk? I don't understand reasoning standing behind this particular implementation.

Or just make them go away. Why the risk? I don't understand reasoning standing behind this particular implementation.

Are new players really bothered by 200 honor?

I have just started a new F2P account this week, I can't make the dailies every day, especially this weekend, only have 1 3* character etc, however I still benefit from the extra credits, merits, or crons I get from doing some of them each day.

My main account started well before all of these additional extras as was for some time also F2P, so things were hard, but kept me motivated to level crew, do what I could in events, even to get a few small rewards, which helped in the long run.

My main issue is, that why should new players get all the benefits, without having to do much?

My second issue is that people who are extending voyages to 10+ hours using dil, (so real money( are moaning too, do shorter runs, or buy a packs and airlock them, you easily make up the whole 200 honor that way!