Home The Bridge
Options

Can we please have more crew slots!

Comments

• Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the 100th Event is coming up in May. Perhaps they will celebrate by gifting us.... 💯 SLOTS!

Really, every Event should come with a free slot, anyway.

100 might be a little high but I am sure everyone would love 5 slots with your 100th event idea. 😀

100 might seem high but even if they added 100 to everyone and if you had purchased every single crew slot available, it still wouldn't be enough slots for every existing crew.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay - realistic way to make some $ for them & keep us happy:

1 Crew slot for 100 Dils. (Max 20?) I would definitely buy max at that price.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    I'm definitely looking forward to this mega event run being over so I can tuck many Vulcans back to a chilly bed chamber.
  • Options
    I'm definitely looking forward to this mega event run being over so I can tuck many Vulcans back to a chilly bed chamber.

I am dealing with a nasty sinus infection where it’s given me double vision and at first I thought tuck was a different word.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Happyface wrote: »
    Crew slots would be nice. Or a way to freeze crew who are fully equipped and level 100.or something...

This type of change will never happen, as it practically would be the same as having unlimited crew slots.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    We could have crew slot rewards from cyro collection reward

Or even an additional crew slot or two as part of an expanded community award structure during galaxy/hybrid events, given that we clear the community rewards in about 12 hours now.
  • Options
    [STJ] Wendell[STJ] Wendell ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I had hoped to see an answer to the question of the crew slot problem. A lot of people asked it. I guess no answer is our answer.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    They completely ignored questions about crew slot expansion in the April Q&A...

giphy.gif
    (I will never stop using this Gif...)
    I will never stop loving that Gif...
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just saw that someone posted a whiny post whining about how some people were whining about wanting more crew slots.

And it reminded me to whine for more slots today.

More slots, please?!

coin-slot-on-blue-background-allan-swart.jpg

I had said as an off-hand comment a week or two ago that we should get one slot with each event. But the more I think about it, that makes sense, particularly if the event features 2 new crew. It provides some relief for at least one of the event crew, but still allows for monetization of slots for the additional two.

Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Okay - realistic way to make some $ for them & keep us happy:

1 Crew slot for 100 Dils. (Max 20?) I would definitely buy max at that price.

Nice idea, it's a win win for everyone. DB still makes some money and we can get some discounted crew slots.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Just saw that someone posted a whiny post whining about how some people were whining about wanting more crew slots.

And it reminded me to whine for more slots today.

More slots, please?!

coin-slot-on-blue-background-allan-swart.jpg

I had said as an off-hand comment a week or two ago that we should get one slot with each event. But the more I think about it, that makes sense, particularly if the event features 2 new crew. It provides some relief for at least one of the event crew, but still allows for monetization of slots for the additional two.

This is a great Idea! Even if it didn’t apply to reruns (where only 1 new crew is added).
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or five crew slots a month. Or five crew slots only in mega event months. Or give us a chance to get crew slots in events, or packs. How great would it be if you could trade in items or ship schematics or honor to buy crew slots. DB needs to have other ways for us to get crew slots.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    @Shan I think it is pretty clear this is an issue that players feel needs to be addressed. We were hoping for an answer in the Q&A, but that didn’t happen. We want a better system. Not just a “here have a few” with no way of knowing when more will come (though that has been appreciated). Which this time has taken far too long. This post has reached almost 200 comments and 8000 views now. It’s safe to say the player base within the forums is invested in this topic. I know that you are our moderator and often times our advocate. I hope you will consider presenting our frustrations to the team and ask them to respond. There have been lots of truly excellent suggestions throughout this post. I think any number of them would be a step in the right direction.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even something as simple as allowing us to unvault crew without a cost of merits or dil would be hugely helpful.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... not a fan of country music?
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @Shy Khan
    Wow!
    You've got a good voice for it too.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    @Shy Khan
    Wow!
    You've got a good voice for it too.
    Thanks!
    (I actually want to record your Enterprise Theme/Faith of the Heart version, next, if that's cool with you....:) )
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So... not a fan of country music?
    Personally, no. But crew slot parodies are always good regardless of genre.
  • Options
    Dark MatterDark Matter ✭✭✭
    There are both strategic and technical reasons for the current system, but the gist of it is while we'd like to have a more flexible system, it's not something that's feasible.

I believe you there are strategic (i.e. fiendish by your own word) reasons to keep this situation unresolved but I can hardly believe in these technical reasons of yours. What technical reasons do you mean? Be specific. You have already implemented vault system which literally another crew slot system and you update it on a regular basis...
  • Options
    It's not feasible... but presumably if EVERY player decided to purchase EVERY slot available on their account then that would still work ok?
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • Options
    Dark MatterDark Matter ✭✭✭
    Although we may not be able to deliver the answers you would like on this topic, this does not mean we are unaware of your concerns, or that we aren't trying to find at least incremental ways to improve things.

I can give you a partial but still substantial solution to this problem for free. Simply stop charging for unvaulting characters. What do you think? Is this solution any good? It can be applied instantly, no technical issues that could prevent it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @BlackPebble First and foremost, thank you so much for a quick response! I really appreciate that. You were right about that not being quite the answer I was hoping for. However, I knew if I asked I would have to take the good with the bad. I have no real idea what goes into making a game so I will take you at your word that there are architecture issues.

You mentioned that a team is working on addressing pain points. The most painful points for me are dismissing 4* crew that I like because even if I am trying to buy slots they are so expensive I can’t afford them quickly enough. The other is having very useful 4* crew that I worked very hard to obtain that I cannot use because I have so many lvl 100 1/5* crew with no means to fuse them. I know that you said the things you are working on are not ready to be mentioned, but I hope as soon as there is a plan you could in some way inform us. At least for me it would go a long ways towards feeling like the devlopers want to help us out. For *example* if say they thought it was now a good idea to remove the cost for unvaulting crew. Maybe it will take a while to implement, but if there is a firm decision to make that happen over a period of time. I would love to know about it! Because as it stands I find the system unsatisfactory. I believe that what you have said was sincere, but without knowing what the plans are or if at this point it is just plans to have plans in the future then I have little or nothing to hope for.

And finally in regards to your snarky comment about crew slots falling from the sky. (; I say, “Let it Rain!” 🌧

Which reminds of a song...

IF ALL THE RAIN DROPS WERE LEMON DROPS AND CREW SLOTS!

OH WHAT A RAIN THAT WOULD BE!

STANDING OUTSIDE WITH MY MOUTH OPEN WIDE

AH AH AHAH AH AHAH AH AHAH!

Again thank you for addressing this for me!
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    That would be a no Wendell.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    [NDQ] Joker41NAM[NDQ] Joker41NAM ✭✭✭✭
    We are aware of that players as a whole would like more crew slots, both free and paid. However, there aren't any immediate plans to dramatically change the crew slot system, or the rate at which new tiers are introduced. This has less to do with fiendish plans and more to do with the current architecture.

Can we get any clarification on what type of architecture issues prevent changes? I can think of several possible answers, some of which are more believable than others.

1) The same database access concerns that existed at the beginning of the game still apply (this is the least believable, given how the player base and total number of maximum crew slots has ballooned since then)

2) The original database concerns have resulted in a large pile of spaghetti code to work around it, which would now be their own problem to change

3) The issues are fixable without too huge a re-code, but not a priority now due to <other technical issues devs are focused on>

4) The issues are fixable without too huge a re-code, but not a priority now due to priority on adding new features

5) The issues are fixable without too huge a re-code, but not going to happen because <business/financial decision> (this is what the community here appears to believe, and categorizes under "fiendish")

I'm sure there are more possible answers I haven't thought of, but this is what pops into my head.

P.S. A response on this technical question would probably be received better if it didn't come from the head of marketing, which is a position many cynics distrust by default. No offense intended to Pebble, but having the person whose sole job is to get us to spend more money being the one to say "sorry, your only solution to the biggest artificial restriction in the game is to spend more money" doesn't sit well.
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've said what the technical issue was in the past.

It has to do with crew and equipment. Every single time you are in your crew quarters, it checks every single crew, and every single item that isn't built on those crew and compares it to everything in your inventory to show crew where you have an item you can build. If every player had 500 crew slots full of crew it would slow the game down significantly making those checks.

Nod had told us that crew slots were put in place to prevent players from having too many crew so the game wouldn't be slowed down. He said they learned from their mistake on Game of Thrones: Ascent where they didn't limit the number of "crew" and it became a performance nightmare.

However, this is where it puzzles me. If they knew that the design used in GOTA caused performance issues, why did they use the same design for STT? Why didn't they use a different design on this game that would solve the performance problem? There are many ways they could have did the back end architecture that didn't limit slots and didn't slow the game down. Instead they used the design that they already knew was a problem and put a big band aid on it called crew slot limits.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Let it never be said we are not willing to SING for our supper! (And by "supper," I mean, "crew slots...") So, in the grand tradition of @Magisse :

OUT OF SLOTS AGAIN

Wa’, Cha’... Wa’, Cha’, Wej, LoS...

I’m out of slots again.
    I can’t believe I’m out of slots again
    A card collecting game should have have more space, my friend
    Yet somehow I’ve run out of slots again

I’m out of slots again
    Oh, Jor Lon True, can’t keep my Romulan!
    I threw too many crew out the airlock, my friend

I’m out of slots again
    Like a game of Pokémon with just one red ball
    I know Good Things Must End
    But they will too soon if you keep thinking so small

Walk down the hall (and tell them)

We need more slots again
    I’m getting tired of saying, “He’s dead Jim!”
    It’s simple logic you green blooded hobgoblin

(music break)
    Mr. Spock, we are out of slots again!
    That, sir, is illogical.
    That’s what I told them
    Most unpleasant situation, Captain
    Ugh, it just *Amazing Poutine*.
    Being a red blooded human obviously has its disadvantages
    Yes it does, Mr. Spock, yes it does.
    Affirmative

I’m out of slots again!
    Like a replicator not programmed with Earl Grey
    Shall always be your friend
    But without slots you are going out the hard way

Shut up Wesley

I’m out of slots again
    Bajorans, Vulcans and Andorians
    I guess Today is a Good Day to Die, my friends
    I’d say, "Live long," but we’re out of slots again
    My crew, so long, cause we’re out of slots again.

Lol I just listened to this! You did a great job on it. It was fantastic and I don’t even like country music!
    STAR TREK JUNKIES