Home The Bridge

The Roga Danar Problem

Comments

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit irritated with the decision to change Roga's status mid event too. I left 20k intel and 2k chrons on the table and got 2 copies of Roga because I figured he'd never be useful again.

This confuses me just a bit. Why would you leave 20k Intel on the table? They announced prior to the event that unused intel would be deleted and not carry over to the next time there is a skirmish event.

20k Intel would have paid significant rewards so not understanding the logic of not spending it?

Because life. I also left 20k intel unused and could have had more if I had limited my missions to ship combat. There was only so many hours I could play the event. I played enough to get the rank I wanted. If I could have kept playing that 20k Intel would have generated more chrons which would have meant even more intel. I'm going to guess with reinvesting it would have taken me 2 hours to clear the Intel. I didn't have another 2 hours on top of the hours I already put into the game.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit irritated with the decision to change Roga's status mid event too. I left 20k intel and 2k chrons on the table and got 2 copies of Roga because I figured he'd never be useful again.

This confuses me just a bit. Why would you leave 20k Intel on the table? They announced prior to the event that unused intel would be deleted and not carry over to the next time there is a skirmish event.

20k Intel would have paid significant rewards so not understanding the logic of not spending it?

Because the event at that point was a stupidly painful bore. I got what I wanted, decided a 1/5 and an otherwise worthless 4* card weren't worth the pain of playing any more. But it was specifically because Roga wouldn't be useful any more that I quit. I let my position slip into the 1700s, and didn't play as much earlier because I thought that might be what would happen.

That's what I do when there are no rewards and a game feels like work.
  • Clone 7 wrote: »
    I agree. I still think the best solution is to give us what they originally assured us would be the case: Roga Danar not being bonus crew for the rest of the month. It's what everyone who played the event believed would happen when they decided whether or not to play for him.

What if you believed they would update it the way they actually chose to do? You can't possibly know why different people chose to acquire or not acquire him.

Sorry that your gamble didn't pay off like you thought it would. Glad mine did.

I was in that camp too: "No bonus listed yet, but Roga's supposed to be a main character in the Mega Event story arc, so maybe he'll turn out to be useful anyway..."

But I'd have kept going regardless. Skirmish rewards got me thousands of honor, and enough chrons to immortalize several more cards. I'd have been pretty content, even without placing high enough for a FF Roga and Red Shirt Khan.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Because life. I also left 20k intel unused and could have had more if I had limited my missions to ship combat. There was only so many hours I could play the event. I played enough to get the rank I wanted. If I could have kept playing that 20k Intel would have generated more chrons which would have meant even more intel. I'm going to guess with reinvesting it would have taken me 2 hours to clear the Intel. I didn't have another 2 hours on top of the hours I already put into the game.

But it didn’t need to be reinvested. You/they could’ve used that 20K and just kept all of the chronitons. There’s nothing that said you had to then go spend them before the event ended or spend them on ship missions. So spending that 20K without reinvesting would not have increased Intel. Well, it would’ve increased it slightly because of Intel drops but nowhere near enough to even do one more run.

Now time, I can understand being a very valid reason, but it’s nothing that had to be increased by spending.

• Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side, if anyone really does want Roga Danar and they missed out on him, the event pack is still available and since he’s not gold, the odds of him dropping are good.
  • Unless you’ve smashed out a load of gold cards, Jury Rigger means he’s not otherwise worthless.

I always play events to FF the 4s anyway, but even if I didn’t JR alone was enough motivation to go hard.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Interesting because I went for the bonus rewards in event. And the fact I could farm space battles (pretty much for free if I was willing to Skirmish) I did this in two accounts and ended with a rank above 1000. That got me FF Roga Danar and a Sisko.

I was not driven to rank anywhere. I was driven by the honor and chron ( for farming) rewards and the space battle farming.

Edit: there was one more thing I was driven by. I was trying to prove a fourth tier of bonus reward which I never did. I did get one pull out of my 320+ skirmishes
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clone 7 wrote: »
    This was an easy event type -- you just hit the same buttons, in the same order, repeatedly. No battles were ever difficult or risky. Getting Roga Danar was merely a function of chronitons and time.

I don't grasp why people insist you're spending chrons in a Skirmish event. You're not. Your prioritizing ship missions over away missions but there are numerous ship missions that are the sole or best sources of equipment and components anyways. I left almost 40K intel on the table but I have a truckload of 3/4* components that will be used up eventually. I'm also decently stocked on Holoemitters (a whole 2.5 days worth).

I get the time component. It was a lot more time consuming than getting 2x 4/4s from a Galaxy event and I'm hoping that intel gets an adjustment next Skirmish event.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • How do people save up tens of thousands of chrons? And why? All those non-FE crew would drive me up a wall.
    How do people save up tens of thousands of chrons? And why? All those non-FE crew would drive me up a wall.

Eventually you hit a point where you have nothing to level. I prefer to pre-farm items although its probably more efficient to save up several thousand chrons, use a supply kit and then go to town.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    How do people save up tens of thousands of chrons? And why? All those non-FE crew would drive me up a wall.

They could have leveled all their crew like me.
    But they chose to not bother farming during week (Saving for Galaxy and maybe now for Skirmish) I want to take advantage of the recharge of Chron. when below the limit. So I use it up pretty much on all 4 Chron. cost missions.

The reason they do it, is because a supply kit will give them more Chron than they lost from recharging when below limit. Also time constraints, maybe easier to play all out one day a week. But they still run voyages, that still requires their time.

Edit: @Ivanstone we are not alone in that.
  • Ivanstone wrote: »

Eventually you hit a point where you have nothing to level. I prefer to pre-farm items although its probably more efficient to save up several thousand chrons, use a supply kit and then go to town.

^This. I’m down to my non-FF 4s (half of which aren’t in portals yet to FF) and 5s with 1 or 2 stars, which I just stick 10 levels on for dailies unless they suddenly become event relevant (like Bond Bashir I just picked up).
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Baragash
    It does not hurt to level them at least the legendaries. You can be surprised how some can be a help if you try to trait match for a voyage.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be different from the above answers. I have plenty of crew to level. It is a time issue for me. I do daily tasks and as many adwarps as I can during the week. I don't wish to use my time constantly keeping my chroniton level at the point where it will auto-refill. I then use a supply kit one a week or every other week and level a bunch of crew. It works for me. It also means I have stockpiles when Galaxy events come. I can save about 4 thousand a week. I do a lot of voyages.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Everyone is talking as if Roga Danar would otherwise be thrash. He's Jury Rigger for the collection and he has pretty good Voyage totals and an at least uncommon set of skills. I reckon he was well worth getting regardless of his bonuses. And as many have said, you probably could have done so whilst picking up lots of other resources too. It sounds like bad decisions were made regardless of DBs mid-event shift (which honestly makes only a tiny difference anyway).

It depends on your crew. I have a fairly decent stack of Immortal Purples and I am at the point where I need to freeze some. So why waste a great deal of time on a card that would serve no use and end up in the freezer.

Yes he is a Jury Rigger but I believe that I need a further 15 cards to complete that set many of which are golds. He might get me a step closer but I still have a very long way to go.

Grinding for hours to get a card which would essentially fill a slot until he was levelled seems a massive waste of time.
  • SuperAmdynSuperAmdyn ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I think that this is a storm in a teacup.
    Everyone had the same information.

If some people had more information than others I’d say you have a point but the playing field is level - just shifting rather than uneven.
  • How do people save up tens of thousands of chrons? And why? All those non-FE crew would drive me up a wall.

I may be different from the above answers. I have plenty of crew to level. It is a time issue for me. I do daily tasks and as many adwarps as I can during the week. I don't wish to use my time constantly keeping my chroniton level at the point where it will auto-refill. I then use a supply kit one a week or every other week and level a bunch of crew. It works for me. It also means I have stockpiles when Galaxy events come. I can save about 4 thousand a week. I do a lot of voyages.

This is pretty much the same for me.

Going into the Skirmish event I have over 10,000 chrons plus about another 10,000 in Sorryton messages.

I have plenty of FF 4* I could be working on, and more than a couple of Legendaries I could level, but I dont have time or the energy.

Occasionally I will activate a supply kit and go on an immortalising frenzy. I've actually done that just yesterday.
  • JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry much about it, either. One character more or less with a "small bonus" is not going to make that much of a difference. Certainly not worth grinding more at this grindy event if you didn't want the character for any other reasons.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I played hard in this event mainly for the honor, chrons, free components and holoemmiters (but especially for the honor) and on the side I got a 4/4 Danar better than missing rank and being stuck with another 3/4 purple for ages.

My thoughts make an extra threshold reward with a copy of him in the next event it's free extra honor for those that have him FF, yet also have a short term advantage over others in the event to begin with. It would also be a nice boon for those that have to taste the bitter disappointment missed out on a final copy.

The competition was stiff at the end I can assure you I finished 1419 and was glad I started a skirmish at the end (got halfway through it before event end), because that could have been the difference between success or failure.

On a side note I did find it peculiar that he was ranked reward and not threshold reward. I think this whole crisis would have been averted if this were the other way round.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt one extra bonus crew will make that much difference.. I suppose it depends on the depth of your crew...
    DB: Do Better
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    I doubt one extra bonus crew will make that much difference.. I suppose it depends on the depth of your crew...

It might not make a difference but I know that I will have to use non event crew on the faction mission. So I would have expected him to have a place on most rounds.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I think it does make some significant difference an immortal Danar's SEC would beat even Falcon O'brien (who tops security shuttles). The fact he is now bonus crew means you save possibly better "normal" crew that can be used on voyages instead of the event. Thus helping continue your rounds of levelling up crew etc.

On researching this I better get my you know what in gear and start levelling him.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, clearly everyone should just get one rank up in Ranked awards... I'm completely not saying that because I missed enemy lines Sisko by 7 places... absolutely not......
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Well, clearly everyone should just get one rank up in Ranked awards... I'm completely not saying that because I missed enemy lines Sisko by 7 places... absolutely not......

With your logo, I'd offer to meet you at the Point and hand you a few VPs, lol.
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Everyone is talking as if Roga Danar would otherwise be thrash. He's Jury Rigger for the collection and he has pretty good Voyage totals and an at least uncommon set of skills. I reckon he was well worth getting regardless of his bonuses. And as many have said, you probably could have done so whilst picking up lots of other resources too. It sounds like bad decisions were made regardless of DBs mid-event shift (which honestly makes only a tiny difference anyway).

Grinding for hours to get a card which would essentially fill a slot until he was levelled seems a massive waste of time.

If I worried about the time amount of time I waste on this game, I probably wouldn't play it at all.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the discussion from everyone in this thread. Obviously, there are some passionate people on both sides of the issue.

What I want most is for Disruptor Beam to stop announcing things incorrectly, and to stop changing the announcement right after it's too late for players to make a different choice. Both of these are ongoing problems, and have been since day 1.

Players can only make an informed choice when the information is correct and doesn't change.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    That's asking them not to consider player feedback. This isn't a case of information being incorrect. He was intentionally not given the augment trait. Players balked because he wouldn't be useful in the mega. They listened to the feedback and made a change.

Making the change in the middle of the mega-event, but right after it's too late to earn Roga Danar, still prevented us from making the right informed choice. I'm fully in favor of the trait change, but after reading this entire thread, I remain unconvinced that they made the right choice by interfering in the event.

And I can also see I'm not the only player who feels like our event performance will suffer.

I still haven't heard exactly how people would have been punished if Disruptor Beam has waited until after the mega to start changing Roga Danar. People who played hard for Roga Danar with the foreknowledge that he wouldn't be useful would not have been surprised or even inconvenienced if Disruptor Beam had stuck with their original bad decision instead of compounding it with another bad decision.