Home The Bridge

Ahdar Ru'afo not giving bonus is event broken

Comments

• From what I understand, the other event crews have the dominion trait and that's why they will receive full bonus'.
    Ru'afo doesn't have that dominion trait so it can only rely on the other ones ie. Brutal, Villian, etc. and if that slot has neither then no bonus...
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    guest_7456 wrote: »
    hmm looks like the blog post has been updated from it's original. At least they fixed the bit about hull bonuses.
    here's the original from google's webcache:
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Oll6xbQdpZ4J:https://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2018/05/22/stt-skirmishes-a-new-event-type-coming-to-star-trek-timelines+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1

Original blog post...

In addition, various crew members can give bonuses to hull and round-to-round healing based on their traits.

Current edited blog post...

In addition, various crew members can give bonuses VP from won battles, round-to-round hull healing, and bonus loot if they have one of the bonus crew traits. Please note that featured event crew will not provide a bonus if they do not have one of the bonus traits for a particular battle.

The only other difference is that the original mentioned a video and had it embedded on the page.
  • [ISA] Raven[ISA] Raven ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    From the initial announcement about Skirmishes...

bq2efh7ugulc.png

Edit : oh apparently this is an "updated" posting.....
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing devil's advocate here, do we know WHEN it was updated? Because I DO actually remember the "if they have matching traits" really early on, so although it may not have been in the initial post, could it have been updated, say, a week later?

I have always been under the impression that event crew only provided bonuses if the traits matched. I just figured the traits always matched event crew (I clearly wasn't THAT observant).

However, DB are still too vague about some of their explanations until it's too late...
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • This is just incredible. I'm pressing refresh every couple of minutes waiting for the latest instalment! 😂
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • I understand this is frustrating, but let's not throw insults around, please.

We have some new information that reveals a complicated situation involving a new bug.

Skirmish events are supposed to operate the way I explained above: only crew with applicable traits for each Skirmish battle should receive bonuses. When crew members receive bonuses for having an applicable trait, event crew will receive the highest possible bonus, followed by low-bonus crew, followed by non-event crew.

The reason I said should is because that is how these events are coded and how they were designed to work. However, looking into this event has revealed a new bug which may have led to many of you thinking that featured event crew will always receive a bonus during Skirmishes even if they do not have an applicable trait. During past Skirmish events and this current Skirmish event, there was an erroneous bit of code that was giving bonuses to crew that shouldn't have been receiving them (two examples of this issue are Weyoun Clone 4 due to his Dominion trait and any Phlox crew used in the current event, "Advance Directive"). For this event, you can use any Dominion crew and all Phloxes to always receive a crew bonus even though they may not have an applicable trait for certain Skirmish battles.

To bring this all back around to the reason this thread was started: Ru’afo is receiving the correct bonus for this event. I apologize that a hidden bug has led some of you to think that Skirmish events always provide bonuses to event crew regardless of whether or not they possess an applicable trait for a particular Skirmish battle. That is not the case, and we are working on a fix for this bug for future events.

For a better explanation of how Skirmish events will work in the future, you can read our blog post about this event type: http://bit.ly/sttskirmishevent

Let me know if you have any more questions about Skirmishes, and I will do my best to get them answered.

What exactly are the bonuses for the middle tiers? Based on epic, the base VP is 500 and the max bonus gives 1000 vp so does that mean that this is the full table:

Event crew w/matching trait: 1000 VP
    Phlox or Dominion w/matching trait: 833 1/3 VP
    Non-event crew w/matching trait: 666 2/3 VP
    No matching traits: 500 VP

?

the non-integer amounts of vp seems odd to me.
  • Aldude wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate here, do we know WHEN it was updated? Because I DO actually remember the "if they have matching traits" really early on, so although it may not have been in the initial post, could it have been updated, say, a week later?

I have always been under the impression that event crew only provided bonuses if the traits matched. I just figured the traits always matched event crew (I clearly wasn't THAT observant).

However, DB are still too vague about some of their explanations until it's too late...

The fact that they have only updated the original skirmish notes etc within the past hour and a half shows this must of been an extremely recent change, coincidentally around about the same time people noticed the bug that "not a bug"
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that they have only updated the original skirmish notes etc within the past hour and a half shows this must of been an extremely recent change, coincidentally around about the same time people noticed the bug that "not a bug"

See I don't think that's true. I remember seeing that "if they have matching traits" ages ago. I think maybe the reiteration of "please note..." is recent.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno what to tell you, I can only state what I remember. I offer no evidence to back up my claim - I am not as passionately annoyed as some people!

All I can say is that the way the skirmishes have recently been explained is how I have always perceived it to be.

I am, however, unclear what bonuses non-event crew provide.
  • One of my fleetmates found the rules to Skirmishes. Here's the link:
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Fizzbin
  • This was the worst "investigation" ever. Fix your event instead of falsely telling us that it works as intended.
  • SunshineRikerSunshineRiker ✭✭✭✭✭
    The blog post with the Skirmish explanation was updated today in order to

1) clarify that crew must have matching traits during each Skirmish battle to earn their high/low/non-event-crew bonus
    2) to make a correction: crew receiving bonuses when matching bonus crew traits do not give more hull, they can give more round-to-round hull healing
    3) to make an addition: crew receiving bonuses when matching bonus crew traits do give a VP bonus from won battles.
  • sorinevsorinev ✭✭✭
    Im sorry but this makes very little sense to me? Are you saying that, EVENT crew do not give bonuses, that only the traits give bonus? Or are you saying that event crew need to have the corresponding trait in order to give the bonus? so are we expected to have to constantly switch around characters during every single battle? cause that is simply ridiculous for this kind of event

Yeah, it sounds like you always need a trait to get a bonus, so IF your event crew have a matching trait per the pair listed for a battle, THEN they will get the highest bonus amount. So yeah, constant switching per battle, possibly.

So the bug is any Dominion and any Phlox give bonus, and Ru'afo happens to be neither, so by happenstance, he skirts the bug and correctly has no bonus on battle 4 and 5 because of no matching traits.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldude wrote: »
    I dunno what to tell you, I can only state what I remember. I offer no evidence to back up my claim - I am not as passionately annoyed as some people!

All I can say is that the way the skirmishes have recently been explained is how I have always perceived it to be.

I am, however, unclear what bonuses non-event crew provide.

Memory is notoriously unreliable and pliable. People are wondering why they "lied" on questionnaires about what they were doing on 9/11/01 when asked 5 and 10 years later then shown their original answers.
    You may, however, be correct. I remember it not being specific with those, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

I understood that was how things were supposed to work, but there have been several community discussions on the forums in the past 2 skirmishes which clarify that how we expect it to work (event crew get max bonus, regardless, only one event crew needed) is how it was intended. DB;s had 3+ months to fix this from the initial skirmish if what dealwithit is telling us has any truth (which I'm dubious about).
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. I am now clear on what the bonuses are.
  • If someone isn’t digging through the old Skirmish threads finding Shan confirming things “working as intended” the old way, I don’t know this forum like I think I do.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're making the change so that the 5* event crew matches the most traits and people have to spend $$ to be on even footing. I guess that's how they always intended it, I just can't fathom how they didn't notice their entire pool of event crew weren't working correctly for three skirmishes.