Home The Bridge

Ahdar Ru'afo not giving bonus is event broken

Comments

• Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets weigh our options here... DB can completely rework the crew selection interface to make skirmishes playable "as they're intended to work", or... they can just give all event crew maximum bonus as they have had in ALL PREVIOUS SKIRMISH EVENTS. Which option sounds easiest to you guys? This is a no brainer.

DB want to sell crew, and give us an incentive to level them up, rather than just use the reoccurring crew throughout the skirmish.

I think there is another option. When Skirmishes first came out, I thought it strange that only one crew gave a boost, rather than all crew like in shuttle events. DB could alter so that all event crew give bonuses that are cumulative, with the actual bonus reduced.

e.g. main event crew give a 20% VP boost, and another 20% with a matching trait.
    small bonus crew give a 10% boost, and another 10% with a matching trait.
    other crew give a 5% boost with a matching trait.

Two main event crew would grant a 40% VP boost, and if one had a matching trait it would be 60%

event crew also get a boost to their ship skills and ship bonuses.

All event crew would be useful, their may be an advantage is swapping between battles, but it would not be huge. DB would sell more packs, and encourage us to level event crew.

Also in a mega, put the skirmish first, making us have to decide in what order to level event crew, rather than just throw the reoccurring at the event.
  • Lets weigh our options here... DB can completely rework the crew selection interface to make skirmishes playable "as they're intended to work", or... they can just give all event crew maximum bonus as they have had in ALL PREVIOUS SKIRMISH EVENTS. Which option sounds easiest to you guys? This is a no brainer.

I completely agree with you; event crew should just continue to give a complete bonus during Skirmishes instead of going to all that trouble, just to twist the knife in the hearts of players.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • guest_7456 wrote: »
    hmm looks like the blog post has been updated from it's original. At least they fixed the bit about hull bonuses.
    here's the original from google's webcache:
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Oll6xbQdpZ4J:https://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2018/05/22/stt-skirmishes-a-new-event-type-coming-to-star-trek-timelines+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1

Wow...That's some serious shadiness right there. "Go look at our old blog post, that was recently updated to reflect the new reality so we can show you how wrong you really are"

Like the warm final days of Pompeii, this brings back fond memories of a famous scene elicited by this quote: "Four legs good, two legs better..."

Why, hello Napoleon, hello Squealer! What do you have there? Is that white paint on your hands?

Someone please pass me the popcorn...

In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • So, I might be a very small minority, but I actually like that ruafo doesn’t always give event bonuses in this skirmish.

Why? Because it increases the chance that people have to change crew between battles, which lowers scores. Skirmishes are grindy enough as it is....
    Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    So, I might be a very small minority, but I actually like that ruafo doesn’t always give event bonuses in this skirmish.

Why? Because it increases the chance that people have to change crew between battles, which lowers scores. Skirmishes are grindy enough as it is....

But I do not know why anyone uses Ru'afo. Use the one of the other three and you always get max VP and max rewards. Though RNG determines if you get the best rewards.
  • For the second phase of the event, Rua’fo is only giving a bonus for one, ONE, out of five fights. I really think this whole deal with DB trying to change how Skirmishes are played is the biggest mistake and potential debacle since the Picard Incident. I honestly haven’t seen this much anger, on the forums, Facebook pages, and the in the game itself, in quite a long time, if ever.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Event crew should always give a bonus. Period. If they want to do something with matching the traits to increase bonus percentage or rewards, like with galaxies, that's fine. Otherwise, what's the point of event crew?
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Event crew should always give a bonus. Period. If they want to do something with matching the traits to increase bonus percentage or rewards, like with galaxies, that's fine. Otherwise, what's the point of event crew?

100% agreed
    That's how I thought it was supposed to function

No bonus - 500 pts random bonus
    No bonus + trait match. 500pts Better bonus box

Small bonus variant 750pts (same otherwise)
    Small bonus + trait median higher chance for better box

Named specific event crew 1000pts
    Standard box
    Name specific event crew 1000 plus trait
    Best chance at good bonus box

Rainbows and sunshine cotton candy !
  • So, I might be a very small minority, but I actually like that ruafo doesn’t always give event bonuses in this skirmish.

If people had no choice but to change crew between battles (well, doesn't apply for most people in the current event, really, but perhaps the next one), then it would not become less or more grindy, it would be merely the nature of the grind that would change. (To add: the latter would change for the worse, imo. At least I can watch TV while spamming battles. Not so if I have to scroll through MySpace circa 2003 to select crew...)

As always, how grindy it gets depends entirely on how hard everyone else is competing. This change would not affect that part.
  • I appreciate that several people in this thread have put time into considering and suggesting crew sorting solutions that would mitigate the monotony of scrolling through all our tiny crew portraits between each battle, but many of you seem to be overlooking one crucial fact:

Only one crew slot needs a bonus crew to maximise VP. The other 2 or 3 slots are filled by the crew with the best ship abilities, regardless of bonus/traits.

To me, that's just one more argument in favour of the current "set and forget" strategy most of us are using
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I appreciate that several people in this thread have put time into considering and suggesting crew sorting solutions that would mitigate the monotony of scrolling through all our tiny crew portraits between each battle, but many of you seem to be overlooking one crucial fact:

Only one crew slot needs a bonus crew to maximise VP. The other 2 or 3 slots are filled by the crew with the best ship abilities, regardless of bonus/traits.

To me, that's just one more argument in favour of the current "set and forget" strategy most of us are using

And for some reason the skill of your crew did not matter to get passive bonus.

So it really would come down to being able to find an alternative to just your bonus crew. Again that is the idea I mentioned earlier. Give us the ability to limit to bonus crew. And then also limit it to low bonus or high bonus crew.

You are right about set it and forget it. But one crew change with ny suggestions would not take a huge effort to switch.

As others mentioned remembering your previous skirmish crew for the specific battles would help too. (But this would help with running a macro)
    But then I guess a macro, if they wanted could include switching of crew (Maybe not, that crew selection screen may change for every use)

Edit: Macros do not need to worry about lower rewards though.
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    So, I might be a very small minority, but I actually like that ruafo doesn’t always give event bonuses in this skirmish.

Thats..... Just...... lowering scores by requiring more work for the same amount of rewards does not make something less grindy.

If I do 30 tickets an hour before, and 20 an hour after, but I still have to play the same number of hours to rank where I want, just at a lower total score, and less small rewards, there is literally zero reduction in grinding, only a nerf in payout and resources required, which makes you actually grind for longer!!!
  • The recurring legendary character of the mega event should ALWAYS give a bonus. It's a horrible design choice not doing it.

To be fair, the recurring character does not ALWAYS give a bonus for any event type. Not in faction events (if skills do not match the shuttle slot), nor in galaxy (where they are only bonus for building certain components where their traits match).
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Comment removed apologies posted on Wrong thread
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • WaldoMag wrote: »
    I appreciate that several people in this thread have put time into considering and suggesting crew sorting solutions that would mitigate the monotony of scrolling through all our tiny crew portraits between each battle, but many of you seem to be overlooking one crucial fact:

And for some reason the skill of your crew did not matter to get passive bonus.

So it really would come down to being able to find an alternative to just your bonus crew. Again that is the idea I mentioned earlier. Give us the ability to limit to bonus crew. And then also limit it to low bonus or high bonus crew.

You are right about set it and forget it. But one crew change with ny suggestions would not take a huge effort to switch.

As others mentioned remembering your previous skirmish crew for the specific battles would help too. (But this would help with running a macro)
    But then I guess a macro, if they wanted could include switching of crew (Maybe not, that crew selection screen may change for every use)

Edit: Macros do not need to worry about lower rewards though.

I wouldn't worry about any lower rewards either. It would probably take more time for someone to switch out one or more crew than it would take me to complete another battle. So all in all, I would not even bother with the bonuses.
  • The recurring legendary character of the mega event should ALWAYS give a bonus. It's a horrible design choice not doing it.

To be fair, the recurring character does not ALWAYS give a bonus for any event type. Not in faction events (if skills do not match the shuttle slot), nor in galaxy (where they are only bonus for building certain components where their traits match).

I know and this should be addressed. As I said, is a terrible design choice since the legendary character is probably the main goal for many of the players that are participating in the event, is a legendary character so is usually a big deal of commitment to lvl up that crew especially during events to take advantage of the bonus. So, the events should always be designed in a way to make that crew be useful in some way.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    The recurring legendary character of the mega event should ALWAYS give a bonus. It's a horrible design choice not doing it.

Actually that is incorrect.

They get a bonus when their skills match in galaxy, but they get an ADDITIONAL bonus when traits match. Bonus lights up, and it does better than a non-event crew with the same skills and traits.

The faction example is also an apple/orange. If the skill doesn't match in Faction, you don't get Any points, so technically it could be a bonus 30% percentage, but 30% of 0 is still 0. I would speculate that Bonus would actually light up if you put a mismatched skill in during a faction event, but I'd need to try that out this next event to be sure.

• WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    The recurring legendary character of the mega event should ALWAYS give a bonus. It's a horrible design choice not doing it.

They get a bonus when their skills match in galaxy, but they get an ADDITIONAL bonus when traits match. Bonus lights up, and it does better than a non-event crew with the same skills and traits.

The faction example is also an apple/orange. If the skill doesn't match in Faction, you don't get Any points, so technically it could be a bonus 30% percentage, but 30% of 0 is still 0. I would speculate that Bonus would actually light up if you put a mismatched skill in during a faction event, but I'd need to try that out this next event to be sure.

The High bonus crew in a faction event. Will get triple stat boost bonus for skill they do not have.

• Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but, the point remains, you would NOT get an advantage from your Event crew if you just stuck them in any slot without regard for what stat. You actually have to pay attention to the specific mission.

There are ways around it. You could waste some merits by opening extra missions and running the same 4 all the time to keep the highest odds, for example. There are way around it for skirmishes too. You could forego the extra few thousand points because you might spend more time changing your crew around that you are running fewer missions, so it's actually more efficient to find the single crew that gives the 2x bonus most frequently.

The fact that it's a trade off means there's strategic choices to be made rather than dumb "same 6 buttons" every single mission. They are making the "same character all the time" strategy less efficient, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, but, the point remains, you would NOT get an advantage from your Event crew if you just stuck them in any slot without regard for what stat. You actually have to pay attention to the specific mission.

There are ways around it. You could waste some merits by opening extra missions and running the same 4 all the time to keep the highest odds, for example. There are way around it for skirmishes too. You could forego the extra few thousand points because you might spend more time changing your crew around that you are running fewer missions, so it's actually more efficient to find the single crew that gives the 2x bonus most frequently.

The fact that it's a trade off means there's strategic choices to be made rather than dumb "same 6 buttons" every single mission. They are making the "same character all the time" strategy less efficient, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

That's quite a gymnastic justification there. Unless the recurring crew meets no skills on any slots on all shuttles, you can get bonus with them on every set you send for the full event.

Devaluing the recurring event crew is a bad thing
    With the current UI it is a very bad thing.

By your logic, we should make missions better by taking Warp away.

That's quite a gymnastic justification there. Unless the recurring crew meets no skills on any slots on all shuttles, you can get bonus with them on every set you send for the full event.

Boy, talk about logical gymnastics. Who said anything about warp?

Choices are good. The way traits are currently implemented, there are no choices to make, you just play an event character (any of them) and get 100% rewards. By making traits matter, you now have to strategize around it. Yes, it makes scoring higher harder, but those who are able to best adapt and take advantage of it (or pay for the event characters) will benefit. Thus, strategic depth where there was none before.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭

Choices are good. The way traits are currently implemented, there are no choices to make, you just play an event character (any of them) and get 100% rewards. By making traits matter, you now have to strategize around it. Yes, it makes scoring higher harder, but those who are able to best adapt and take advantage of it (or pay for the event characters) will benefit. Thus, strategic depth where there was none before.

I'm OK with this as long as they:
    1) clearly explain things
    2) make the crew selection interface MUCH better

I'm OK with this as long as they:
    1) clearly explain things
    2) make the crew selection interface MUCH better

100% agree. The whole "it was supposed to be like this..." Line is silly. Just say "we made a mistake and would like to make a change that makes the mission traits more of a decision."

And, yea, if they don't improve the crew selection process, it will likely not be worth crew swapping once the highest bonus character is identified from the given traits.

That's not more choice. That's removing a choice forcing one action or another.

Making things more of a grind and more tedius is the exact analogy that makes the warp argument pertain. But you see this as some form of grand thinking strategy rather than repeated tedium. You see choice, where I see choices removed.

That's not more choice. That's removing a choice forcing one action or another.

Making things more of a grind and more tedius is the exact analogy that makes the warp argument pertain. But you see this as some form of grand thinking strategy rather than repeated tedium. You see choice, where I see choices removed.

Options with original skirmishes:
    1. "set it and forget it" crew selection

Options with new skirmishes where trait matches actually matter:
    1. "set it and forget it" crew selection (but it's less efficient than previously)
    2. Change crew (sometimes) to get per-run efficiency closer to what it was before

2 > 1

Yes, it will force you to run more skirmishes to hit thresholds (you would, necessarily, score lower), but everyone is impacted just the same. Those who figure out the "best" way to do this the fastest will be rewarded with better placement opposed who don't.
    There is also the "pay to win" issue that only those who bought or lucked into the 5 star can get the best results, if they do as I expect and set up certain nodes where only the 5* qualifies, but hey that is what the game is unfortunately
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    more skirmishes = more chance of getting honor/chrons meh

one thing I don't understand though is the incentive to buy the legendary ahead of the event if it may not have the necessary traits to get the VIP - surely this devalues event crew (potentially) and would surely discourage spending on packs beforehand if it's not necessary/effective enough.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO

one thing I don't understand though is the incentive to buy the legendary ahead of the event if it may not have the necessary traits to get the VIP - surely this devalues event crew (potentially) and would surely discourage spending on packs beforehand if it's not necessary/effective enough.

oh, I am pretty sure they will be diligent in ensuring that the event 5* is the only crew that qualifies for nodes, especially the final 2000 VP node. This was how last event was, where only phlox triggered it.

oh, I am pretty sure they will be diligent in ensuring that the event 5* is the only crew that qualifies for nodes, especially the final 2000 VP node. This was how last event was, where only phlox triggered it.

I ran Goran'Agar and got full bonus the whole time...