Home The Bridge

Support for IamPicard App

Comments

• AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    They are not even trying to defend themselves, they are just ignoring us and hoping it blows over. I find that behaviour truly reprehensible.

The problem will not go away because the game is basically incomplete without Iampicard or a similar app.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMDG wrote: »
    They are not even trying to defend themselves, they are just ignoring us and hoping it blows over. I find that behaviour truly reprehensible.

The problem will not go away because the game is basically incomplete without Iampicard or a similar app.

Except the developer pulled it not DB. So blame the developer in this case.
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I was a frequent user of the tool and loved having it, but let’s not overstate the matter. It was a tool of convenience, not necessity. Is it as easy to manage? No. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. I played the game just fine for most of its existence without it, and I have mostly adjusted right back to doing what I did before. Life will go on.
  • AMDG wrote: »

I was a frequent user of the tool and loved having it, but let’s not overstate the matter. It was a tool of convenience, not necessity. Is it as easy to manage? No. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. I played the game just fine for most of its existence without it, and I have mostly adjusted right back to doing what I did before. Life will go on.

LIfe will go on but in the end the minority crybabies won.
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

And ironically, by driving some people back out of the Gauntlet, probably now have a slightly better advantage there. "Fair" is in the eye of the beholder and what things they choose to do or not do.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

And ironically, by driving some people back out of the Gauntlet, probably now have a slightly better advantage there. "Fair" is in the eye of the beholder and what things they choose to do or not do.

Good point, the only Gauntlet I've ever finished 1st in was before the tool was around
  • Yateball wrote: »

Good point, the only Gauntlet I've ever finished 1st in was before the tool was around

And I won my first Gauntlet I started since the tool is gone, only the second I’ve ever won. I think a lot of players forgot how to Gauntlet on their own.
  • tytlaltytlal ✭✭✭
    @Shan You had said the iampicard was currently under review. When can we expect an announcement on the results of that review so that we have an official stance on it?

+1
  • tytlaltytlal ✭✭✭

Likewise. I’m going 1 step further and not opening my wallet until DB implement some of the things Iampicard had that made the game worth spending on.

+1
  • I've never used this tool. In my opinion it gives significant advantage to each person who uses it. If it was up to me I would forbid using this tool with no hesitation.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone produce a post here from someone that was specifically "against IaP and was whining and complaining about it"? All the posts i've read (or made) are one of two things:

1 - people crying about losing IaP. Threatening to leave, accusing people of attacking the app creator without evidence, name calling (i'll get called a pejorative name in the response to this post), etc..
    2 - everyone else who is indifferent to IaP asking what the big deal is, saying to chill out, and being forced to defend themselves.

Why is it so impossible to have a civil discourse on anything? This is what I've seen...change my mind.

Well I started trying to gather quotes, across the various threads, but I’m struggling to be able to quote or link other comments back to here. Any help appreciated!

Also, I don’t really get what that would prove? The main issue here is DB’s attitude. People can debate whether the feel tools are right or wrong, but what’s slightly frustrating is having to repeat some of the facts and background again and again as more new readers join these conversations.

I wonder if DB would let us sticky some of the key points B):DB):D;)
  • dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and/or add I Am Picard to your username.

It's going to become a scene out of Spartacus around here :D

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    dext74 wrote: »
    and/or add I Am Picard to your username.

It's going to become a scene out of Spartacus around here :D

https://youtu.be/-FYGmMzwJRA
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Thank you everyone for keeping the comments generally civil so far. I always find it encouraging when we are able to have a positive discussion on a matter that we have some disagreement.
    Can anyone produce a post here from someone that was specifically "against IaP and was whining and complaining about it"? All the posts i've read (or made) are one of two things:

1 - people crying about losing IaP. Threatening to leave, accusing people of attacking the app creator without evidence, name calling (i'll get called a pejorative name in the response to this post), etc..
    2 - everyone else who is indifferent to IaP asking what the big deal is, saying to chill out, and being forced to defend themselves.

Why is it so impossible to have a civil discourse on anything? This is what I've seen...change my mind.

I hope you read the OP. The intent of this thread was to bring stories to DB's attention so that when they made a decision they could be well informed of people's general positive attitude towards the IaP app. I think that point was made, though with a lot of unnecessary arguments along the way. At the end of the day, it is not for us to decide what is against the ToS and what is not. DB is free to interpret them as they please and even to change them if they wish. People may feel like saying something like, "It's a Macro... please kill it..." or "It's not a Macro... please preserve it..." but at the end of the day, that doesn't matter. Only the way it will effect the player base.

Ironically, the tool has been taken down but not by DB, for other reasons and I can tell you that it has effected the players in my fleet. There is a sense of discouragement, frustration, and a diminishing hope that DB will be able to maintain a positive relationship with it's players. Even though the fate of IaP was decided outside of DB, their implicit attitude in the situation has done nothing to build relations with some of the most dedicated players in the game. In fact, there has been a great deal of lost trust whether it is DB's fault or not. We can only hope that DB can learn from what happened here and find a way to make their customers feel valued. Again, any comments like "DB doesn't value the players..." are useless... talk is cheap... you can talk all you want... it is not in your court to decide the future of DB's relationship with the players... it is in their court.
  • Shan wrote: »
    We cannot support player-made tools. There are many reasons for this, but the main one is that it would be impossible for us to monitor said tools on a regular basis. This does not mean that such tools are automatically in breach of or in compliance with our Terms of Service, but it does mean that players use third-party tools at their own risk.

I'm not a programmer, but would an approved public API be something that is useful? Something that controls what is and is not allowed, and what sort of data is being passed?

I genuinely don't know how that sort of thing works, so feel free to correct me.
  • AMDG wrote: »
    Having a public API means allowing 3rd party tools.

I think that if they can control the API so a 3rd party tool does not allow one to say launch a voyage, or do any actions other than retrieve data, it would be ok to allow it. I don't know how APIs work. I don't know if this is possible. But that's sort of the root of my suggestion.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    PsionStorm wrote: »

I think that if they can control the API so a 3rd party tool does not allow one to say launch a voyage, or do any actions other than retrieve data, it would be ok to allow it. I don't know how APIs work. I don't know if this is possible. But that's sort of the root of my suggestion.

Yes. That would be ideal. A public API let's DB say, any use of that API is allowed. Any use of something outside the API is not.

DB could do that if it wanted to. Where that fits in their other priorities for the game is something only they can answer.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

It's ironic to say "the tool evolved". One man was capable of improving the game via API, without even being paid. Db was not interested in a better game. So sad.

So, you DON'T believe "the tool evolved"? Because the other option is that people who were using it to CHEAT were doing so with an UNALTERED program. {Before 47 people have an angry meltdown, the developer him/herself was quoted BY A PRO-APP PLAYER as saying people had started cheating with the App.}
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."