Home The Bridge

Support for IamPicard App

Comments

• PhantumPhantum ✭✭✭
    Phantum wrote: »
    piruna wrote: »
    S31 wrote: »
    If they ban this App I will use MACRO on purpose in skirmishes and I won't even care about being banned.

So, if they ban the IAmPicard app, you'll punish other players for it? :confused:

Other players caused the ban of IAmPicard. Yes, it's a good move.

So you think that all players, the majority of who didn't abuse or cause anything to happen to IAmPicard, should be punished for the some who did?

It's like saying some humans broke the speed limit. Therefore, all humans should get speeding tickets.

No, it's like the bus driver who sped got a ticket, so now your bus has to go the speed limit.

The driver never got a ticket, he had instead enjoyed a front page spot in the council newspaper promoting his good community service. When this was up for annual renewal a few members of the public who had missed the bus started burning and looting so the bus driver retired, leaving a sincere apology to the community he served.

I'm going to assume you just dont know what was going on, and aren't spinning things as others are.

Dude, for the bus speeding analogy.... I'm out of steam, but I love bad analogies so I'll keep going.

If the driver was 100% innocent, then it was hotwired and stolen because that **tsk tsk** was doing 90 in a school zone, and when someone asked if it was him driving he burned the bus to the ground.

Doh I finally figured out what you mean I think. Like the original subject of this analogy was not IAMPICARD but some .... wanting to use a macro? Sorry I completely misunderstood and thanks for the benefit of the doubt! I was too focused on trying to be clever with the analogy.
  • SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    pbert wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    To DB, for kowtowing to a few players' pressure and basically forcing this tool to be taken down, I say.

I will be critical of DB when they deserve it, but according to the app creator it was personal attacks & app exploits by players & not DB that caused it to be removed. I think there's enough misinformation in this thread, so let's try to keep things factual.

This. A lot of people are going after DB because the creator of the tool was attacked by third parties and harrassed until the App was pulled. That is kind of like getting mad at the guy who built your house, because some neighbors harrassed your plumber until he quit plumbing.

Not true. If you leave your front door open and you get burgled you are at fault. So is the thief but you won't be able to claim the insurance. DB buried their head in the sand and they are doing it now and they are jointly and severely liable.
  • ZenBotZenBot ✭✭✭
    "In the past few days (January 2019) I’ve been insulted, accused of hacking, doxed and personally threatened." -IamPicard
    REALLY people? Your immoral, unethical and illegal behavior shows you really don't understand what values Star Trek was promoting.

I didn't know much about this tool, no experience with it. My question is, has any of this been proven? I've seen his quote, but is there proof this is what happened?

• I loved that it helped me stay under 1000 items in inventory!!! I used the export to Excel and then figured out which ones to find and delete!
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In the past few days (January 2019) I’ve been insulted, accused of hacking, doxed and personally threatened." -IamPicard
    REALLY people? Your immoral, unethical and illegal behavior shows you really don't understand what values Star Trek was promoting.

I didn't know much about this tool, no experience with it. My question is, has any of this been proven? I've seen his quote, but is there proof this is what happened?

Wouldn't be IF it happened on the Forums. Personal attacks would have been "blue inked" when seen by a Mod. If it did happen, shame on the people doing it. If it was a false flag, shame on him/her for claiming it happened.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • RogueAngylRogueAngyl ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Oh. My. Goodness.
    I want to say I can't believe the drama, but after a year on here and lurking on the other forums for hints before that it's easily to say that this community is a fragile balance between family-like support and badger-versus-snake level enmity.

I will miss IAmPicard. The only use I had out of it was to streamline my Gauntlet play, which was always a secondary aspect of the game to me, and to keep track of how many replicators I had left.

I agree that it was out of ToS. I also saw nothing wrong with it. ToS can be amended.
    I don't see it giving that much of an advantage. If DB wanted to block it, I would be in full support given their macro ban (which I often felt was hypocritical, and I know few share my opinion so let's agree to disagree). If anything, it would have made most sense for DB to take some of that sweet, sweet Tilting Point money and contract TekmanRO as a consultant.

Finally, whoever would threaten/harass/dox someone over this, I hope you take a good hard look at your behavior and put it in context. Hopefully when all your secondary sex characteristics finish forming, you'll look back and feel the least bit of shame for such jackassery.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • RogueAngyl wrote: »
    Oh. My. Goodness.

Finally, whoever would threaten/harass/dox someone over this, I hope you take a good hard look at your behavior and put it in context. Hopefully when all your secondary sex characteristics finish forming, you'll look back and feel the least bit of shame for such jackassery.

The problem is people on the internet know no shame due to complete anonymity. And in the current socially charged climate, any horrendous act can be justified under the failed logic of "the guy i'm doing it to is evil, so any evil I do is for the greater good". I've come out against IaP here today, but let me be clear. I never had a real problem with people using it. What I have a problem with is all the whining and complaining about losing something that no one actually needs to play the game. All the people claiming they are going to rage quit over this are being ridiculous. Way too much hyperbole, way too much overreaction. DB didn't bait and switch us. DB didn't steal any money from us. In short, I'll pull an A-Aron on everyone again and say R-E-L-A-X.
    I have decided that it’s not worth the hassle for me to continue working on this tool. In the past few days (January 2019) I’ve been insulted, accused of hacking, doxed and personally threatened.

I'm disgusted by the actions of this community. If you were involved in this (and I suspect a few of you directly because you've proven yourselves to be disgusting wastes of human existence already) then I feel nothing but pity for your miserable, hollow existence.

Still waiting for confirmation ANY of it happened HERE
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • ZenBotZenBot ✭✭✭

I have decided that it’s not worth the hassle for me to continue working on this tool. In the past few days (January 2019) I’ve been insulted, accused of hacking, doxed and personally threatened.

I'm disgusted by the actions of this community. If you were involved in this (and I suspect a few of you directly because you've proven yourselves to be disgusting wastes of human existence already) then I feel nothing but pity for your miserable, hollow existence.

Dangerous to blindly accept accusations as truth without proof.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    Oh. My. Goodness.

The problem is people on the internet know no shame due to complete anonymity. And in the current socially charged climate, any horrendous act can be justified under the failed logic of "the guy i'm doing it to is evil, so any evil I do is for the greater good". I've come out against IaP here today, but let me be clear. I never had a real problem with people using it. What I have a problem with is all the whining and complaining about losing something that no one actually needs to play the game. All the people claiming they are going to rage quit over this are being ridiculous. Way too much hyperbole, way too much overreaction. DB didn't bait and switch us. DB didn't steal any money from us. In short, I'll pull an A-Aron on everyone again and say R-E-L-A-X.

Ya see to me it seems that there are a bunch of people whining about whining.

I don't understand the position that making things easier is bad. And I also don't understand why people get offended by people wanting them to be easier. That's the general progress of history and as such is the greater revealed preference of humanity. If you want your life to be difficult, chop off your own leg or something, but you shouldn't get a say in the difficulty level of others peoples endeavours.

Just so I am on the same page with you, your assertion is that if someone calls someone else on their $h!t, they are "whining". Is this what you are saying?

I think it might be, because I think I am calling you on your $h!t, and you probably think I'm whining so it's probably a matter of perspective.

Either way I don't see the harm that people are causing expressing their discontent in a reasonable and civil manner as most are. Whilst I do see the harm in people outright dismissing their concerns and labelling them as whinners.

Dangerous to blindly accept accusations as truth without proof.

I totally agree. Was that unclear? Did not mean it to be.
  • ZenBotZenBot ✭✭✭
    No, it was clear. I was agreeing with you. I apparently missed out on using a useful but controversial tool. I expect a lot of support from IAP fans because of the benefit provided.
    No, it was clear. I was agreeing with you. I apparently missed out on using a useful but controversial tool. I expect a lot of support from IAP fans because of the benefit provided.

Was not sure if you were seconding me, or thought I meant different.

Have a donut on the hoose!!!
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    Oh. My. Goodness.

Ya see to me it seems that there are a bunch of people whining about whining.

I don't understand the position that making things easier is bad. And I also don't understand why people get offended by people wanting them to be easier. That's the general progress of history and as such is the greater revealed preference of humanity. If you want your life to be difficult, chop off your own leg or something, but you shouldn't get a say in the difficulty level of others peoples endeavours.

Just so I am on the same page with you, your assertion is that if someone calls someone else on their $h!t, they are "whining". Is this what you are saying?

EDIT - By this logic anyone can say whatever they like without being challenged or called on it. I also am not willing to accept the link between the "added difficulty" of not having IaP to the "progress of humanity". This type of talk is the exact silliness I am calling people on this topic. Without IaP you can still play this game with 10-20 minutes of play each day. I complete all daily missions, play gauntlet, arena, voyages, etc in that amount of time. Who needs more than 3 minutes to select their gauntlet crew and their voyage crew? "OMG no more IaP! It will take me 5 hours to pick my crew for gauntlet and voyages! Life has ended!!!" This is how people sound on here. Complete silliness.

My broader point was that it's not unusual or undesirable for people to want things to be easier. If it's so trivial why do you even care?
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont even know how to spell ISAMPICARD
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp, after reading the quarreling on this page, here's another thread that will likely be closed come tomorrow.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Controversial rhetorical question alert...

Why was it called IamPicard and not IamKirk?
  • FlayFlay ✭✭✭

I might as well comment on this now before Shan shuts this thread down for all the mudslinging going on. Across the five or six topics created on this subject, I don’t think I have seen one person say that any abuse TekmanRO received happened on this forum. Shan and JazzRiker have been pretty on top of moderating posts that don’t even approach the level of RL threats or doxxing. Email is the most likely medium but it could have also happened on Reddit or GitHub...with the doxxing, maybe it happened over the phone.

There are two points to make:

1) Claims of doxxing and threats are serious and must be treated seriously. There is no cause to not believe them unless there is evidence to the contrary.

2) I think it is entirely reasonable to say that it is more likely that threats came from a forum member than a non-forum STT player, DB employee, or random member of the public. Among forum members, there are several people here that seem incredibly virulent in their hatred of IAP, its users, and its creator. It therefore stands to reason that one or more of this group of people are among those responsible.

As Spock’s ancestor once said, “when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” To mix quotes from the same film: “in either case, what we are looking for *is* here.”

We do not need any of this level-headed nonsense around here. Fight fight fight!
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    can someone explain something about the tool, to someone like me who has never used it?

Does the tool integrate into the game itself?

In other words, can you use the tool independently like a calculator? or does it need to work with the game while its running? cause that would be a concern for me at least.

I have to admit, the tool sounds nice, and helpful, thou I have been able to do pretty well without it, so have to debate whether its worth it to me or not.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Chaotic, so does that mean it is not required for you to integrate it, if you only use the offline features?

I guess my concern is, if I try and I don't like it? or If I start to use it and then DB bans it, can I stop using it or get rid of it, without consequence?
  • DeanWins wrote: »
    Thanks Chaotic, so does that mean it is not required for you to integrate it, if you only use the offline features?

I guess my concern is, if I try and I don't like it? or If I start to use it and then DB bans it, can I stop using it or get rid of it, without consequence?

Serve all people said they tried it once didn’t care for it and went back to playing they did before with no issues. As it is now, no one can use it.