Home The Bridge

Support for IamPicard App

Comments

• Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan You had said the iampicard was currently under review. When can we expect an announcement on the results of that review so that we have an official stance on it?
  • @Shan You had said the iampicard was currently under review. When can we expect an announcement on the results of that review so that we have an official stance on it?
    Likely never, it’s been three months already, and there’s no point now.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeanWins wrote: »
    Thanks Chaotic, so does that mean it is not required for you to integrate it, if you only use the offline features?

I guess my concern is, if I try and I don't like it? or If I start to use it and then DB bans it, can I stop using it or get rid of it, without consequence?

Yes you can. It just uses public APIs to query the DB servers, and pulls the data into a local cache. If you're all squirrelly about it sending commands just don't launch voyages, select dilemmas, fix broken recalls, or initiate gauntlet rounds with it. Then it'll just be running in read only mode, and doing maths so you don't have to. If you stop using it, nothing will happen.

Nothing is automated, and it can't be construed as a "derivative work". Plus [redacted] one fleet sells an app to farm items for you that interacts far more with DB servers. TMR was only asking for donations because the server he was hosting the app on as a free service had begun to get so much traffic that he was having to pay more for the bandwidth and cycles.

Here's to the memory of good guy:
    8tkuesw6vvqp.png
  • FetaroFetaro ✭✭✭
    As of today, the windows application doesn't work anymore. Stays on "Loading Player Data" indefinitely.
  • @Shan You had said the iampicard was currently under review. When can we expect an announcement on the results of that review so that we have an official stance on it?

I agree. It would be a waste of time for them to make any kind of decision because it is no longer available and not an issue. Also if they were to post a decision, it would likely lock them into something that may be problematic if someone else made something similar. If I were them, I would leave it open for future issues.
    Would I like to see an official answer to the question of where a line would be drawn? Sure I would. I think it would be a good faith gesture on the part of DB, but I don't think it will happen
    Fetaro wrote: »
    As of today, the windows application doesn't work anymore. Stays on "Loading Player Data" indefinitely.

Psst, see above your post, just takes 3 small changes for the client identifier, and she still works. The missing images are because they haven't been uploaded to the wiki yet and it hasn't tried to pull the new images. I'm torn between supporting @Peachtree Rex and @Althea Biermont by posting the fix or not.
  • Fetaro wrote: »

Psst, see above your post, just takes 3 small changes for the client identifier, and she still works. The missing images are because they haven't been uploaded to the wiki yet and it hasn't tried to pull the new images. I'm torn between supporting @Peachtree Rex and @Althea Biermont by posting the fix or not.

That is information I would to know. Maybe i’ll Finally put some energy into making an app for my phone
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    so some contradictory comments..

Can we use it or can't we? currently
    Is it working or isn't ;)
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan You had said the iampicard was currently under review. When can we expect an announcement on the results of that review so that we have an official stance on it?

There's definitely a point. @TekmanRO may bring it back if they rule in favor of it

That is information I would to know. Maybe i’ll Finally put some energy into making an app for my phone

Chicken, I tried to PM you, but the comma is making the forum think you're two different names.
  • FetaroFetaro ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

My compilation test from yesterday works, just tried. I didn't even alter the source code. This is weird. I have a CSS problem, though.

7izgegvjsjp1.jpg

EDIT : Crew recommandation for voyages is completely broken for me. I'm a sad tribble.
  • tytlaltytlal ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thurthorad wrote: »

There's also the point that an enormous part of what the player base has been campaigning for for literally years is better communication from DB. This is an opportunity for them to say we tried and failed, or to clear up some things. They are not even trying to defend themselves, they are just ignoring us and hoping it blows over. I find that behaviour truly reprehensible.

hear, hear.
    +1
  • Fetaro wrote: »
    My compilation test from yesterday works, just tried. I didn't even alter the source code. This is weird. I have a CSS problem, though.
    I am pretty sure the last github source code release already had the fix in for the new Client ID, it just had not been released so needed a "Compile"
  • what to say, i mainly started using the tool about a month ago because:
    -the facebook app for some reason really slows down an otherwise fast pc.
    -the site didn't consume as much battery as the official client.

I've always been frustrated by the gauntlet, but when using the IAP it was suddenly a lot more enjoyable. I wouldn't say i got better results because of it, but the the win/lose wasn't that obvious and i could block that part out. Just playing till no pvp optoins where left.

Voyages did give me an advatage. I got a lot more frequent 8 hour voyages and the fact that it constantly monitored the successrate really was a bonus.

I'll remember the tool mostly because it gave me some peace of mind.
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreamsnake wrote: »
    my final thoughts on this:
    - now try to find him in patreon , as such guys are rare

He closed his Patreon with a note to donors this morning. Which should help put to rest the speculation on this forum that he had a hidden profit making agenda. The note boiled down to, recent events have taken the joy out if it, so it’s not clear that any official stance from DB would change that.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • I've enjoyed using the tool daily, if for no other reason than managing things that the app itself doesn't do like crew management (I've asked a number of times about things like a way to tell who's frozen from your crew on deck view, which this tool does so well).

Honestly? Without this tool I don't see myself spending another cent on the game, it's just not worth it without those kinds of quality of life functions which clearly DB isn't intending to add.
  • I just checked the iampicard.com site (2019/01/15 16:55 EST) - looks like the author has decided to close up shop, remove the GitHub repository, and told everyone to live long and prosper without it. Guess we won't be having that discussion after all. Sorry, folks.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked the iampicard.com site (2019/01/15 16:55 EST) - looks like the author has decided to close up shop, remove the GitHub repository, and told everyone to live long and prosper without it. Guess we won't be having that discussion after all. Sorry, folks.

While that’s all true, the discussion here continues and has been doing so for a day and half now.

I’d encourage you to read through the closed threads as well.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked the iampicard.com site (2019/01/15 16:55 EST) - looks like the author has decided to close up shop, remove the GitHub repository, and told everyone to live long and prosper without it. Guess we won't be having that discussion after all. Sorry, folks.

Thing is, though, the source files were up on GitHub for quite some time, and I'm sure other coders among the player base have already downloaded all that... so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else compiles a new version of the tool. Which is why it'd be nice to get some sort of (new) official statement regarding their stance on it, should that eventuality come to pass.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Psst, see above your post, just takes 3 small changes for the client identifier, and she still works. The missing images are because they haven't been uploaded to the wiki yet and it hasn't tried to pull the new images. I'm torn between supporting @Peachtree Rex and @Althea Biermont by posting the fix or not.

Thanks!
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    I just have two questions:

Do you log into the game through this app/tool? If so, would it be possible for it to store your login information?
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ikrit wrote: »

Do you log into the game through this app/tool? If so, would it be possible for it to store your login information?

Apparently you have to log into it. Which is why some of us could not use it.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

You provide your username and password which are stored in an ephemeral variable just to pass to the DB servers to get an authorization token. Only the authorization token is stored.

But if somebody else distributes this, you have to trust they're doing the same, or scan the source code yourself to make sure that's still the case.
    You can limit potential damage by using a unique l/p pair, and since there's no real world economy value and no transferable items, the worst anybody could do is spend your dil and airlock your crew. The database logs would still contain your previous state, and CS could probably make you whole again.
    With nothing to gain, the motivation to do this is minimal, and there's long history of no events and third party contributions to argue that it's completely safe and acting as presented.

You still log into the game separately, and can always change your login. Can even run both side by side.

Your call to make. The author earned my trust. I know I'd enjoy the game much less, if even still play, and given DB much less money without this work.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently you have to log into it. Which is why some of us could not use it.

Utter nonsense. I saw 1 or 2 players got confused about their accounts or had issues that needed some help from DB to rectify. I also saw someone trying to pressure the Iampicard developer for support on github for that and he did try to be helpful even though it wasn’t his problem.

It would have been possible for iampicard to have permanently stored login information. The developer claimed it didn’t and the code behind the program and website was available for scrunity if anyone wanted to verify that. At the end of the day, that’s a risk that players had the option to accept or not.

Have a nice day.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    ELiL wrote: »
    Well, what are my options now, when a voyage gets stuck?

Play the awful game known as Customer Support Roulette...the odds of winning are about the same as real roulette, and it’s not nearly as fun.

Better odds at roulette than dabo.....
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.