Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Temporal Trespassers - 01/24

123457»

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adam =BSR= wrote: »
    Is it just me or have certain items - isolinear rod (A Cleansing Fire) , hyperspanners (Stolen Honour) identification codes (Deadly Disruptions) been much, much more infrequent during the event than they would otherwise be? I've wasted hundreds of chrons just on hyperspanners this weekend

Fun with statistics (having data mined the last 10 galaxy-inclusive events):

ID codes (1) have appeared in every event, and a typical event requires about 96 of them to get to 500K VP for a cost of 1565 chrons for the ID codes alone. Ouch. They appear in the most expensive 2 missions 45% of the time so can often, but not always, be safely avoided. For comparison, sensor (0) and database (1)s also appeared in every event but only cost 1100 chrons each to get the amount typically needed. ID (1)’s are usually a clue to a recipe I’d prefer to avoid, especially since so many crew need them as well.

Hyper Spanners were needed in 8 of 10 events, but only 75 on average, at a total cost of 848 Chrons. They appear in the most expensive missions 29% of the time. Even outside of galaxies I hate the little red tipped thingies like the plague. They look like they should be cheap and easy but they are a pain to farm and can’t be avoided in galaxies. And crew eat them like candy so it is hard to maintain a stock. These and the little panel thingies that have to get mixed with hologram 0’s drive me crazy.

Isolinear rods showed up in 9 of 10 events, needing 33 on average, for a cost of 349 Chronis per event. They showed up in the most expensive mission/recipes 75% of the time. So if you avoid the most expensive mission, you’ll usually be skirting both them and some more painful items like ID codes at the same time. The worst missions are usually loaded up with these niche/pain items...

Interesting analysis, but how do you determine the amount you need? Isn't that a factor of which recipes you select/skip and RNG determining which recipes show up more often?
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Is it just me or have certain items - isolinear rod (A Cleansing Fire) , hyperspanners (Stolen Honour) identification codes (Deadly Disruptions) been much, much more infrequent during the event than they would otherwise be? I've wasted hundreds of chrons just on hyperspanners this weekend

ID codes (1) have appeared in every event, and a typical event requires about 96 of them to get to 500K VP for a cost of 1565 chrons for the ID codes alone. Ouch. They appear in the most expensive 2 missions 45% of the time so can often, but not always, be safely avoided. For comparison, sensor (0) and database (1)s also appeared in every event but only cost 1100 chrons each to get the amount typically needed. ID (1)’s are usually a clue to a recipe I’d prefer to avoid, especially since so many crew need them as well.

Hyper Spanners were needed in 8 of 10 events, but only 75 on average, at a total cost of 848 Chrons. They appear in the most expensive missions 29% of the time. Even outside of galaxies I hate the little red tipped thingies like the plague. They look like they should be cheap and easy but they are a pain to farm and can’t be avoided in galaxies. And crew eat them like candy so it is hard to maintain a stock. These and the little panel thingies that have to get mixed with hologram 0’s drive me crazy.

Isolinear rods showed up in 9 of 10 events, needing 33 on average, for a cost of 349 Chronis per event. They showed up in the most expensive mission/recipes 75% of the time. So if you avoid the most expensive mission, you’ll usually be skirting both them and some more painful items like ID codes at the same time. The worst missions are usually loaded up with these niche/pain items...

Interesting analysis, but how do you determine the amount you need? Isn't that a factor of which recipes you select/skip and RNG determining which recipes show up more often?

I think for the math above my assumptions were:

- assume a 500k VP target which used to be safe-ish to shoot for in pure galaxies
    - Assume a number for VP value per mission (once you get a full head of steam), it will be 1025 + ( 4850 /15) * expected number of Crits per mission; crits per mission will depend on # of recipes (2-3) and your bonus crew but is usually 1.5-2.2 or so (add up the percentages shown for your bonus crew in each recipe *before* crafting any items) Assuming a value of 2 is reasonable (67% chance average over 3 recipes) and would give 1670 VP/mission.
    - From this you can estimate number of missions needed to reach target, (target VP) / (VP per mission). Using the numbers above it’s about 300 missions.
    - From the data mining I came up with average number of each item needed in any mission. If you don’t want to data mine, the bottom line is this really only varies from 45-120, so a simple working assumption is that you’ll want about 60 of each of the most commmon recipe items to be rudimentarily ready for a galaxy, or 100 or so to be comfortable.
    - I assumed that I would always skip the most expensive two of seven missions, so total needed is approximately (# of missions to reach goal) / 5 * (average number if each item needed in any mission), or about (60 * average number needed in any mission). I only use this assumption to determine the (/5) scaling factor of how often any posssible mission appears. If someone chooses to include an expensive mission with ID codes or whatnot in their top 5, the numbers above are consistent with that and just say that that item requirement will only occur 20% of the time.

Buried in that is an assumption that the 5 good missions appear with equal frequency, once you leave the worst two “stuck”. I never validated that but qualitatively it seems true, so over 4 days, RNG shouldn’t matter.

All of that is for extreme precision, but if you just assume you’ll want 60-100 of each item in stock over the long term for galaxies, then the only real driver is the per-item chron cost, and avoiding missions which have high per item chron costs embedded, if you can, and then the question is how do you want to use your expensive items. Just estimating a need of 60-90 * item chron cost, and avoiding high item chron costs would be a simple way to get through galaxies more cheaply without having to do all the recipe by recipe math each event. For most items, if you overstock and don’t use in a specific Event you will likely consume your stock of farmed items (rather than those which surplus “naturally”) equipping crew. For high chron cost items, I try to only ever use them to equip crew and not squander in galaxies (ID codes 1, auth codes 2, neutron microscopes, etc), unless I absolutely have to.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

I think for the math above my assumptions were:

- assume a 500k VP target which used to be safe-ish to shoot for in pure galaxies
    - Assume a number for VP value per mission (once you get a full head of steam), it will be 1025 + ( 4850 /15) * expected number of Crits per mission; crits per mission will depend on # of recipes (2-3) and your bonus crew but is usually 1.5-2.2 or so (add up the percentages shown for your bonus crew in each recipe *before* crafting any items) Assuming a value of 2 is reasonable (67% chance average over 3 recipes) and would give 1670 VP/mission.
    - From this you can estimate number of missions needed to reach target, (target VP) / (VP per mission). Using the numbers above it’s about 300 missions.
    - From the data mining I came up with average number of each item needed in any mission. If you don’t want to data mine, the bottom line is this really only varies from 45-120, so a simple working assumption is that you’ll want about 60 of each of the most commmon recipe items to be rudimentarily ready for a galaxy, or 100 or so to be comfortable.
    - I assumed that I would always skip the most expensive two of seven missions, so total needed is approximately (# of missions to reach goal) / 5 * (average number if each item needed in any mission), or about (60 * average number needed in any mission). I only use this assumption to determine the (/5) scaling factor of how often any posssible mission appears. If someone chooses to include an expensive mission with ID codes or whatnot in their top 5, the numbers above are consistent with that and just say that that item requirement will only occur 20% of the time.

Buried in that is an assumption that the 5 good missions appear with equal frequency, once you leave the worst two “stuck”. I never validated that but qualitatively it seems true, so over 4 days, RNG shouldn’t matter.

All of that is for extreme precision, but if you just assume you’ll want 60-100 of each item in stock over the long term for galaxies, then the only real driver is the per-item chron cost, and avoiding missions which have high per item chron costs embedded, if you can, and then the question is how do you want to use your expensive items. Just estimating a need of 60-90 * item chron cost, and avoiding high item chron costs would be a simple way to get through galaxies more cheaply without having to do all the recipe by recipe math each event. For most items, if you overstock and don’t use in a specific Event you will likely consume your stock of farmed items (rather than those which surplus “naturally”) equipping crew. For high chron cost items, I try to only ever use them to equip crew and not squander in galaxies (ID codes 1, auth codes 2, neutron microscopes, etc), unless I absolutely have to.

Well said. I’ll toss out one thing that might be worth considering: going for the absolute lowest cost mission for farming isn’t necessarily always the best option. I’m not even necessarily talking about away missions versus ship battles for holoemitters, but rather certain missions that can be used to farm multiple items.

For example, Rockslide on Elite drops both 0* textbooks and 0* science experiments, useful for both Galaxy events and crew leveling. This mission isn’t the best for either one individually (that’s the Normal difficulty for Not a Drop to Drink and Assault and Battery, respectively) but you can get both items effectively from one mission. Same goes for 0* Isolinear Rods and 0* Physiostimulators from Xahean Invasion on Normal and 3* Polyalloy and 1* Databases on Shielding the Prey on Normal. There may be others, these are just the ones I have noticed.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said. I’ll toss out one thing that might be worth considering: going for the absolute lowest cost mission for farming isn’t necessarily always the best option. I’m not even necessarily talking about away missions versus ship battles for holoemitters, but rather certain missions that can be used to farm multiple items.

For example, Rockslide on Elite drops both 0* textbooks and 0* science experiments, useful for both Galaxy events and crew leveling. This mission isn’t the best for either one individually (that’s the Normal difficulty for Not a Drop to Drink and Assault and Battery, respectively) but you can get both items effectively from one mission. Same goes for 0* Isolinear Rods and 0* Physiostimulators from Xahean Invasion on Normal and 3* Polyalloy and 1* Databases on Shielding the Prey on Normal. There may be others, these are just the ones I have noticed.

Great point - I think there are at least one or two "two-fer" warp-missions in each event which are the cheapest for two different needed items. Then there are probably some where they're not the cheapest mission to run but pretty close to it, enough that the "two-fer" effect makes them worthwhile. It all adds up to: Galaxy survival is about getting the most bang for your buck, right? :smile:

I love getting to run Rockslide in Galaxies, even if I don't need science experiments for the event, it's an excuse to roll the dice and stockpile some of the dang buggers for daily use instead of wasting chrons or cadet missions on them outside of the event ...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great point - I think there are at least one or two "two-fer" warp-missions in each event which are the cheapest for two different needed items. Then there are probably some where they're not the cheapest mission to run but pretty close to it, enough that the "two-fer" effect makes them worthwhile. It all adds up to: Galaxy survival is about getting the most bang for your buck, right? :smile:

I love getting to run Rockslide in Galaxies, even if I don't need science experiments for the event, it's an excuse to roll the dice and stockpile some of the dang buggers for daily use instead of wasting chrons or cadet missions on them outside of the event ...

Why run in the actual galaxy, prefarm rockslide in a skirmish and get a 60% discount.