Home The Bridge

Gauntlet Changes

Comments

• Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I like the changes, though now I'm a little irked that I spent so much honor on Locutus and The Caretaker, including a 4th citation for the latter just yesterday!

I am in a similar situation. I hope they do an honor refund like they did with the Voyage-only crew.

Why? It was ur call alone and since then u took advantage of using the 5/5 gaunt exclusive crew f.e. on voyages. Not sure why u want a refund. Makes zero sense.

They shouldn't refund all citations but maybe go back 30-45 days or so depending on how long it takes the average person to earn a citation as a free play player. This is kind of like buying something and a company announcing a sale in a short time span. They usually honour the sale price to avoid people returning it and repurchasing it or returning it all together.

Given how long it takes to earn citations, they should communicate something like this two months in advance to avoid customer backlash. I spent my last two citations on Caretaker and one was about two weeks ago.
  • Chief Eud{DD}rickChief Eud{DD}rick ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Has it become more likely that you will end up in a gauntlet with your fleetmates? Or is this just gauntlet allocation RNG? Not my fleet, but there sure are a boatload of GoT people in my gauntlet today!

2ugvr3kr6kvi.png

it's called a 'Fleet Gauntlet'. You set a time and day to load as many fleet members as possible into the same gauntlet and then use that power of numbers to promote a member who has yet to get a #1. We do it twice a week on consecutive days so EVERYONE has a chance to get into one, without having to skip a day to sync up.

I, of course, am withholding the days and times. We don't want YOU (generic plural) crashing our party. :D

HOWEVER: Any Fleet interested in going head to head is invited to contact me in game and we'll set up a time and day.
    "Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig" Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love, R.A. Heinlein
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the changes, though now I'm a little irked that I spent so much honor on Locutus and The Caretaker, including a 4th citation for the latter just yesterday!

I am in a similar situation. I hope they do an honor refund like they did with the Voyage-only crew.

Why? It was ur call alone and since then u took advantage of using the 5/5 gaunt exclusive crew f.e. on voyages. Not sure why u want a refund. Makes zero sense.

They shouldn't refund all citations but maybe go back 30-45 days or so depending on how long it takes the average person to earn a citation as a free play player. This is kind of like buying something and a company announcing a sale in a short time span. They usually honour the sale price to avoid people returning it and repurchasing it or returning it all together.

Given how long it takes to earn citations, they should communicate something like this two months in advance to avoid customer backlash. I spent my last two citations on Caretaker and one was about two weeks ago.

I'd much prefer they put their energy into tackling the miserly dribble-of-honor rate game economy issue as a next challenge :smile: (how's that for a false dichotomy?) Once citations start feeling a little less like a major organ donation every time you choose one, it would throttle down a lot of the irksomeness of other game mechanic issues, across the board. So we could then move on to finding new things to be irked about ....

And to restate: THANK YOU AGAIN, DB, for taking steps to improve Gauntlet.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • AviTrek wrote: »
    Has it become more likely that you will end up in a gauntlet with your fleetmates? Or is this just gauntlet allocation RNG? Not my fleet, but there sure are a boatload of GoT people in my gauntlet today!

2ugvr3kr6kvi.png

There are fleets thst will all agree to join a gauntlet at the same time to have a mini-competition together. It looks like you probably stumbled into the gauntlet GoT picked for that.

2ugvr3kr6kvi.png

it's called a 'Fleet Gauntlet'. You set a time and day to load as many fleet members as possible into the same gauntlet and then use that power of numbers to promote a member who has yet to get a #1. We do it twice a week on consecutive days so EVERYONE has a chance to get into one, without having to skip a day to sync up.

I, of course, am withholding the days and times. We don't want YOU (generic plural) crashing our party. :D

HOWEVER: Any Fleet interested in going head to head is invited to contact me in game and we'll set up a time and day.

Well, I've learnt something new today, thanks!
  • Could we get a behold of the 4 of them (or 3) when it drops so we choose so we can immortalize one versus getting 2nd copies of others?
  • Has it become more likely that you will end up in a gauntlet with your fleetmates? Or is this just gauntlet allocation RNG? Not my fleet, but there sure are a boatload of GoT people in my gauntlet today!

2ugvr3kr6kvi.png

I kinda feel sorry for any poor sod who finds themselves in such a Gauntlet.
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I kinda feel sorry for any poor sod who finds themselves in such a Gauntlet.

until you go in and muck it up for said fleet gauntlet :D
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • While I appreciate the added chance at the Gauntlet crew I did not manage to score in their time, I am wondering what the motivation is behind this move. In the long run, this will increase the number of people fielding these crew into the Gauntlet. The walls of Locuti, Guinans and Caretakers have already been abundant as it was. What is the end game here?

Exactly. This is one of the community complaints (walls of unobtainable gauntlet crew), but now that more people will have those crew the walls will be even more frequent for those who did not get the lucky drops yet. I don't think people who complained they wanted guinan and locutus (easier), thought it through. if you get lucky and get a locutus and guinan quickly you'll be happy for a bit while you have an advantage, while others with poor RNG luck will suffer with lower gauntlet ranks for many months than they used to have regularly 2 days ago.
    edited February 2019

I'd much prefer they put their energy into tackling the miserly dribble-of-honor rate game economy issue as a next challenge :smile: (how's that for a false dichotomy?) Once citations start feeling a little less like a major organ donation every time you choose one, it would throttle down a lot of the irksomeness of other game mechanic issues, across the board. So we could then move on to finding new things to be irked about ....

And to restate: THANK YOU AGAIN, DB, for taking steps to improve Gauntlet.

That would be ideal, and yes I like the new changes. However, it may not look like it, but I am sure these changes have been in the works for a while. All they needed to do was send a message saying:

"Greetings, we know our legendaries are over valued. As such, we would like to inform you we will be making the following important change in approximately one months time. 'Fill in change'. This will affect citations for such and such crew. Please note, we will not refund any citations due to this change.

This will keep people who spent a hard earned citation in that short time from wasting it on crew that is now available. If they choose to cite, it is now on them.

I cited Guinan right away because I wasn't going to buy her in any over valued packs and because the achievements didn't include her. I got my money's worth because of at least 6 months of full use without accidentally getting one somewhere. I thought the same of the Caretaker because DB hadn't informed us otherwise. Lack of information now has me irked that I wasted time and money on something they previously kept as unique. Good foresight/a good CS policy would prevent this repetitive feeling players get. It's just a question of who gets the shaft with this news release and game update.
    While I appreciate the added chance at the Gauntlet crew I did not manage to score in their time, I am wondering what the motivation is behind this move. In the long run, this will increase the number of people fielding these crew into the Gauntlet. The walls of Locuti, Guinans and Caretakers have already been abundant as it was. What is the end game here?

Exactly. This is one of the community complaints (walls of unobtainable gauntlet crew), but now that more people will have those crew the walls will be even more frequent for those who did not get the lucky drops yet. I don't think people who complained they wanted guinan and locutus (easier), thought it through. if you get lucky and get a locutus and guinan quickly you'll be happy for a bit while you have an advantage, while others with poor RNG luck will suffer with lower gauntlet ranks for many months than they used to have regularly 2 days ago.

Maybe they can ban Guantlet exclusive and Mega event crew from the Guantlet. They could also make different tiers, just like the arena. 1-2*, 3-4, 5*.
  • While I appreciate the added chance at the Gauntlet crew I did not manage to score in their time, I am wondering what the motivation is behind this move. In the long run, this will increase the number of people fielding these crew into the Gauntlet. The walls of Locuti, Guinans and Caretakers have already been abundant as it was. What is the end game here?

For me, I never wanted Gauntlet crew to do better at Gauntlet. I do not care one iota about walls. I wanted those crew because they are legitimately great crew and I want them for voyages and other parts of the game. If I have to burn some merits to get around a wall, so be it.
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    While I appreciate the added chance at the Gauntlet crew I did not manage to score in their time, I am wondering what the motivation is behind this move. In the long run, this will increase the number of people fielding these crew into the Gauntlet. The walls of Locuti, Guinans and Caretakers have already been abundant as it was. What is the end game here?

Maybe they can ban Guantlet exclusive and Mega event crew from the Guantlet. They could also make different tiers, just like the arena. 1-2*, 3-4, 5*.

I have an idea. No one will probably like it since its complicated, but here it is.

Take the average roll (average proficiency adjusted for crits) for each card and index them. So the best card for any gauntlet would get indexed to say 400, and everything else be a percentage of that.

Then when you sign up for a Guantlet you get a budget of say 1000. If you go over the budget you owe that many merits, if you go under you get that many merits back. So if you have a lineup of great cards (1600 total cost), you might have to pay 600 merits to use it, while if you are just starting and have lesser cards you'd get some extra merits back.

Salary cap, with a luxury tax. Very intriguing.

I have an idea. No one will probably like it since its complicated, but here it is.

Take the average roll (average proficiency adjusted for crits) for each card and index them. So the best card for any gauntlet would get indexed to say 400, and everything else be a percentage of that.

Then when you sign up for a Guantlet you get a budget of say 1000. If you go over the budget you owe that many merits, if you go under you get that many merits back. So if you have a lineup of great cards (1600 total cost), you might have to pay 600 merits to use it, while if you are just starting and have lesser cards you'd get some extra merits back.

I like it. Not sure they will give merits back, but it definitely deserves consideration as a solution.

Salary cap, with a luxury tax. Very intriguing.

+1. Well said.
  • [GoT] Unsober Shimoda[GoT] Unsober Shimoda ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    "... and then use that power of numbers to promote a member who has yet to get a #1."

You're much too kind... We use the power of numbers to obliterate each other. Unfortunately, there are some non-member collateral damage, but the [GoT]-on-[GoT] crime is much more fun! ;)

P.S. @Chief Eud{DD}rick [GoT] would cut through {DD} like a Zakdorn Strategema Master through a Pakled freighter captain! ;)
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    "... and then use that power of numbers to promote a member who has yet to get a #1."

You're much too kind... We use the power of numbers to obliterate each other. Unfortunately, there are some non-member collateral damage, but the [GoT]-on-[GoT] crime is much more fun! ;)

P.S. @Chief Eud{DD}rick [GoT] would cut through {DD} like a Zakdorn Strategema Master through a Pakled freighter captain! ;)

Tell your fleeties they have you to thank for making them targets. See you in gauntlet.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    If you ask nicely, Customer Service is known to un-cite people for you. If you make a good case, I bet they’ll refund your gauntlet-exclusive citations.

Disruptor Beam did tell us it was our “last chance” to get the exclusives when they left the gauntlet, and they are usually* good at making it right when they change their mind later, after people have made expensive decisions based on those announcements.
  • [GoT] Unsober Shimoda[GoT] Unsober Shimoda ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Tell your fleeties they have you to thank for making them targets. See you in gauntlet.

I've done worse... I'll buy horgons for the lot of 'em to get back in their good graces.

See you... out there!
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
  • "... and then use that power of numbers to promote a member who has yet to get a #1."

Yeah...I don't think so. PM me and let' get it on >:):p
    "Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig" Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love, R.A. Heinlein
  • Yeah...I don't think so. PM me and let' get it on >:):p

Those decisions are above my paygrade... I'm just a Roga Danar-type mercenary soldier who does what he's told (most of the time) ;). Fleet Admiral can arrange all of that... [GoT] Gabe is his name.

I'm not even smart enough to figure out how to PM you in the game!
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    Viscous wrote: »
    If you ask nicely, Customer Service is known to un-cite people for you. If you make a good case, I bet they’ll refund your gauntlet-exclusive citations.

Disruptor Beam did tell us it was our “last chance” to get the exclusives when they left the gauntlet, and they are usually* good at making it right when they change their mind later, after people have made expensive decisions based on those announcements.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about it but the problem becomes that after 3 weeks, many voyages, a collection and who knows else, it will be a mess to undo.
  • I'm not even smart enough to figure out how to PM you in the game!

[GoT] Drunk Shimoda

ROFL..that bodes NOT WELL for the state of your fleet comms
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not even smart enough to figure out how to PM you in the game!

[GoT] Drunk Shimoda

ROFL..that bodes NOT WELL for the state of your fleet comms

I'd imagine they're more entertaining 😉 nothing better than a drunk comms officer
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    Just scored a 1st in my gauntlet. Armus dropped (my first). So can't say 100% it was the changes ... But can't say it wasn't either. (Have had several 1st and top 5s before now).
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I never really expected to get all my honor back, but the citation I bought less than 24-hours ago for The Caretaker does suddenly sting a little, since I wouldn't make the same purchase today after this announcement was made...

I suggest putting in a ticket to customer service with a polite request for help. They have fixed citation mistakes on several crew for me in the past and returned the citation or honor.
  • Well the changes are definitely working. My gauntlet just ended. I finished 12th with 7 boxes to open. I just got an Armus (my first one) and Caretaker (my third)

That ist great...i finished 11th in my gauntlet and got....you name it: trainers!!!!!!!

I've been playing STT for over a year now and i do gauntlet every day and here is the gauntlet crew i own:

Locutus: 0
    Banjo-Man: 0
    Red-hat-woman: 0
    Blackblob: 0

YEAH!!! RNG ftw
  • I usually only get trainers so I was in shock at that