Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Neutral Representation - 04/11

Comments

• [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Not really digging Bashir's art... (not bad, just not "grabbing" me)

tg2024p1door.jpg
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna need to put Bashir next to Commander Troi in the Bridge crew. "I told you you can't keep up with me!"
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the new Bashir’s art. He’s got a shell-shocked look on his face, a thousand-yard stare that is fitting for someone stuck in a Dominion prison.

Yes, agreed. It is great.
    Let’s fly!
  • They really outdid themselves with the art on Bashir
  • The expression on the Bashir art is fine, but it looks like the artist tried to “white” him up. His skin tone is lightened, his nose looks more European, his cheekbones are different. It’s off putting.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm rubbish at faces - can't draw them, can't even really describe them - so I don't know what it is specifically, but Bashir feels off to me. A lot of details are right, but there's little things that just make it seem like 'not quite Bashir' when I look at it. Maybe skin tone, I think the bridge of the nose, I dunno. The expression is great, the technical quality seems solid, but it feels kind of like the art's recreating that particular screenshot, but wasn't done with a bunch of other photos of Siddig stuck up for reference, just anything not clearly visible in that one image is filled in generically.

Still I'll be taking a pack or two to get the fourth star on him - although fingers crossed behind my back I get a Commandant, if that happens I may just party and leave Bashir at 3/4.
    The expression on the Bashir art is fine, but it looks like the artist tried to “white” him up. His skin tone is lightened, his nose looks more European, his cheekbones are different. It’s off putting.

Hmm I dont see all that. His nose and cheekbones look about the same to me. His skin tone might be slightly lighter but I think that is just cause the source pic the drawing was based on was Bashir in shadow or grey light and the artist was trying to make him look more like what he would in brighter light. I definitely do not see any trying to make him look more Caucasian.
    Let’s fly!
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just learned that his maternal uncle is Malcom McDowell, one of my favourite actors. Side note, I know but interesting.

"You know, there was a time when I wouldn't hurt a fly. Then the Borg came..."
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    I'm rubbish at faces - can't draw them, can't even really describe them - so I don't know what it is specifically, but Bashir feels off to me. A lot of details are right, but there's little things that just make it seem like 'not quite Bashir' when I look at it. Maybe skin tone, I think the bridge of the nose, I dunno. The expression is great, the technical quality seems solid, but it feels kind of like the art's recreating that particular screenshot, but wasn't done with a bunch of other photos of Siddig stuck up for reference, just anything not clearly visible in that one image is filled in generically.
    I think it's the chin. The point of the chin is just a little too narrow and the jaw is just slightly too sharply defined. Our Alex has a slightly softer, rounder, less action-heroey face.

I think the art is good enough. Actually, it's probably better this way - perfect art isn't as fun as good art with a single imperfection to pick apart!
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I getting a Zoolander "Blue Steel" vibe from Bashir's expression?
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    His soundbyte should be “I am Sparticus”

More like "I am Spockticus"
  • The expression on the Bashir art is fine, but it looks like the artist tried to “white” him up. His skin tone is lightened, his nose looks more European, his cheekbones are different. It’s off putting.

Hmm I dont see all that. His nose and cheekbones look about the same to me. His skin tone might be slightly lighter but I think that is just cause the source pic the drawing was based on was Bashir in shadow or grey light and the artist was trying to make him look more like what he would in brighter light. I definitely do not see any trying to make him look more Caucasian.

His chin is definitely narrowed and his nostrils are smaller too.
    The chins look the same to me. The nostrils on the drawing look to not quite go down all the way so look a lil narrower. Making characters look more caucasian can be a definite issue but in my opinion I do not think this is one of those cases.
    Let’s fly!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siddig describes himself, according to an article I found in HuffPo, as “half English, half Sudanese. I don’t know if it’s an English engine in an Arab body or an Arab engine in an English body... I’m not quite sure which way around it was...”. The writer of the article describes his complexion as “glowing caramel complexion the color of a perfect tan”. That’s a pretty subtle difference from a fully Caucasian person’s skin tone, so I think we can cut the artist a little slack.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed reading the artistic dissection of the new Bashir, but let's remember that art is allowed to vary from source material. If you want true-to-screen, then there's no need for artists. Plenty of screen captures posted every week on the forum.

I like this rendition. There are several of his that I don't care for, but this one captures the moment well, IMO.
  • "I'm a Doctor"'s side-by-side let me see what's been bugging me on the art.

It's the depth. His forehead and chin are more pronounced than the real thing, and the nose less pronounced in comparison. Plus, the light-line on the jaw near the point makes it seem sharper than than reality.
  • I'm just impressed by the final product on pre-HD/fuzzy light 1990s source material. Also, since the only Bashir cards I have are Bells Riot Bashir (Darth Grumpy Face Bashir) 1-Star Bashir (many of the 1 stars have ...odd art) and Racquetball Bashir (that face is just silly) This is a nice change of pace.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spock taking a run at most traits and falling just a little short.

Gladiator Spock (New) - this crew will be featured event crew in the event starting on 04/18.
    Fully Fused Fully Equipped Level 100 Skills: DIP 505 (84-168), SEC 1276 (189-388), SCI 1099 (44-97)
    Traits: Starfleet, Federation, Exobiology, Musician, Astrophysicist, Human, Vulcan, Telepath, Prisoner, Duelist, Athlete
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stash of dil was primed for several event packs, hopefully finding some additional copies of Rura Penthe Commandant while searching for that elusive missing copy of Bashir. Of course this is the event where I get the single copy of Bashir I need on the first pull, along with 600 honor and 3 packs of useless schematics! lol
    I got Bashir in one pull today, too. Not complaining.
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • a7bz9oau8731.jpg

Something wrong with my first event pack pull just now...
  • ImoklesImokles ✭✭✭
    Looks like I will finally be completing the Physician collection with the next Bashir.
    a7bz9oau8731.jpg

Something wrong with my first event pack pull just now...

Yikes. That's not good.