Home The Bridge
Options

How long will it take to hit 10 hour voyages in all 30 skill combinations?

I've decided to begin a challenge within the game - to hit natural 10 hour voyages in all 30 skill combinations!

I know I've already done quite a few, but did not track them, so I've started from scratch.

For context, I usually get estimates of 10 hours or more on most skill combinations, but some skill combinations require some favorable RNG to hit 10 hours, including my first one that I hit yesterday, which was CMD/ENG.

So what do you all think? How long will it take?

I'll post updates as I hit 10 hours with various combinations.

Comments

• Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    10 hour voyage 1/30 - CMD/ENG! (February 18th, 2020).

No screenshot as I didn't have this idea until today.

If you think this makes it not count (pics or it didn't happen) I will begrudgingly start over at 0/30.

EDIT: Typo.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this challenge. I can safely say I have hit them all but I’m not so sure about MED/ENG. I have recently added two crew to help this out, but haven’t got that combo in a while. I am interested to see if my additions have put me over ten for this category
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    My sarcastic answer is a minimum of 300 hours+ return trip time. But lets be serious right?

I don't know that anyone can give you a good ballpark. If you have the crew to do it, then it really comes down to the game randomly giving you the shot at all 30 combos. I'd would assume this project will take well over two months. In straight up voyages 10 hours will probably work out to one a day. Factor in fails to the RNG.

I look forward to the updates.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I like this challenge. I can safely say I have hit them all but I’m not so sure about MED/ENG. I have recently added two crew to help this out, but haven’t got that combo in a while. I am interested to see if my additions have put me over ten for this category

I'm open to you joining in!

I recently hit a 10 hour MED/ENG with very favorable RNG. I usually top out at 9-9.5 with that skill combination. Cheesecake Seven I just got when they offered Indignant in the 490 dil packs helped.
  • Options
    My sarcastic answer is a minimum of 300 hours+ return trip time. But lets be serious right?

I don't know that anyone can give you a good ballpark. If you have the crew to do it, then it really comes down to the game randomly giving you the shot at all 30 combos. I'd would assume this project will take well over two months. In straight up voyages 10 hours will probably work out to one a day. Factor in fails to the RNG.

I look forward to the updates.

I like the super literal answer. :smiley:

I agree, I can't always babyshit a voyage that would be on the brink - due to work, baby, and wanting to sleep due to being tired from work and baby. Sometimes I'm sure I recall a voyage that would hit 10 at 8 because I can't keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Fun challenge!

I've been tracking my own voyages since I started hitting 10-hours fairly regularly, and have data for 68 of the approximately 80 10-hour voyages I've completed. There are only 5 pairs that I'm missing, 2 of which are the dreaded ENG/MED combo - I recently hit 9:55 on a MED-ENG voyage, so there is hope!

Good luck!!!

EDIT: not long after posting this, I sent out a MED-ENG voyage with 12,000 / 10,750 / 22,300 / 2825 AM stats, which is estimated at 9:45 with a 21% chance to hit 10 hours!
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭

300 hours.
  • Options

300 hours.

Someone beat you to that one, sorry. :wink:
  • Options

300 hours.

Someone beat you to that one, sorry. :wink:

s8104omzbd0z.jpg

This is fantastic!

GO CHARGERS GO
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Assuming that you can hit a ten hour voyage with all skill combinations on the first attempt, and that skill combinations are random, then I estimate roughly 2-3 months on average.

It could be quicker, it could be a lot longer or never. If you have hit 29 of the 30 combinations, then there is a 1 in 30 chance that you will get the last one when they reset, or about a 50% chance in the next 15 days.

There is a one in a million million chance that you will have all 30 combinations in the first 30 days of trying this.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool that you did the math! Guess that answers the question pretty good
  • Options
    edited February 2020

I have just put the numbers into a short program that simulates random voyage skills, and on 10,000 iterations, it takes an average of 120 days to hit all skill combinations, so my estimate was down.

The other numbers in my above post I believe are correct.

If you assumed that the gold and silver skills were interchangable, that would give 15 combinations. e.g. Cmd/Sec is the same as Sec/Cmd, and take an average of 50 days.
  • Options
    I really like this idea. I look forward to results! Maybe like a weekly update? Since you brought this up, I am going to start tracking from scratch since I have had a few months of just horrible voyages.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we going screenshots required or a gentleman’s agreement?
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have recently been charting voyages again for a project I am working on, and despite being on day 4 I have already observed an interesting quirk with 10 hour voyages, something I have subconsciously known but have only recently been aware of enough to put into words.

We all understand that the more rare skill combos are harder to hit 10 hours with because it is generally harder for players to get those crew. For example, there are only two crew I am aware of with strong Eng/Med voyage score (White Rabbit, Imprinted Archer) so it is much harder for a player to have both of them immortalized than say Com/Dip or Sci/Med, that makes sense, but what I had not fully taken into account is that even with multiple copies of both the White Rabbit and Imprinted Archer the Eng/Med voyage is still less likely to hit 10 hours due to RNG.

Let me explain. RNG plays a huge role in determining voyage success in all aspects, among those are skill checks that determine if you lose 30 AM or gain 5. The more AM your voyage has at the start the more you are able to control for RNG on skill checks because theoretically, the more time your RNG has to flip its coins, the more likely your checks will approach the mean. In other words, the more AM you start with, the more chances you have to have your feature skills come up, which will make your voyages last longer.

Going back to our Imprinted Archer, White Rabbit situation, while their Eng/Med scores are strong, because you are getting those scores on only 2 crew, the odds of them hitting a 25 AM bonus are reduced, meaning odds are good that voyage will start with less AM, leaving the 10 hour mark much more in the hands of RNG.

I hope that makes sense, I might not be explaining it well.
  • Options
    GhaziGhazi ✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I have recently been charting voyages again for a project I am working on, and despite being on day 4 I have already observed an interesting quirk with 10 hour voyages, something I have subconsciously known but have only recently been aware of enough to put into words.

We all understand that the more rare skill combos are harder to hit 10 hours with because it is generally harder for players to get those crew. For example, there are only two crew I am aware of with strong Eng/Med voyage score (White Rabbit, Imprinted Archer) so it is much harder for a player to have both of them immortalized than say Com/Dip or Sci/Med, that makes sense, but what I had not fully taken into account is that even with multiple copies of both the White Rabbit and Imprinted Archer the Eng/Med voyage is still less likely to hit 10 hours due to RNG.

Let me explain. RNG plays a huge role in determining voyage success in all aspects, among those are skill checks that determine if you lose 30 AM or gain 5. The more AM your voyage has at the start the more you are able to control for RNG on skill checks because theoretically, the more time your RNG has to flip its coins, the more likely your checks will approach the mean. In other words, the more AM you start with, the more chances you have to have your feature skills come up, which will make your voyages last longer.

Going back to our Imprinted Archer, White Rabbit situation, while their Eng/Med scores are strong, because you are getting those scores on only 2 crew, the odds of them hitting a 25 AM bonus are reduced, meaning odds are good that voyage will start with less AM, leaving the 10 hour mark much more in the hands of RNG.

I guess that makes sense, but speaking for myself, I play to get a new high voyage time, like a high score. So more consistently making it to 10h 15 minutes, or taking a little risk of not hitting 10h if RNG screws you for that 11h+ one time in 20 is totally worth it.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are saying that using the same two cards for 4-6 spaces limits your trait pool for matching for bonus AM... No?
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned in the 10hr med/cmd thread, I started doing this same personal challenge in Aug 2019. I’m still 7 pairs short. You may have a stronger crew than me, so maybe you’ll get there faster. Med combos are my albatross (6 non-completed pairs). Good luck!
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realy like this idea. I look forward to results! Maybe like a weekly update? Since you brought this up, I am going to start tracking from scratch since I have had a few months of just horrible voyages.

The other benefit of tracking successful voyages (8 hours or 10 hours, depending where you are at as a player) is figuring out where your skill gaps are, either individually or as combos. That really helped me prioritize my citations list, since it isn't just about the 'best' overall voyagers, but where your own crew has shortcomings.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »

I think people sometimes get too hung up on the skill pairs. I threw together this example of a ENG/MED voyage and avoided both Imprinted Archer and White Rabbit.

I came up with
    ENG: 12752
    MED: 11807
    SCI: 9118
    CMD: 6136
    SEC: 4324
    DIP: 3482

There may be a bit of RNG there, but that should have a good shot at 10.

The crew I used
    Leucon
    Mycelial Culber
    Tribble Herder Scotty
    Ishan Chaye Sisko
    Indulgent Seven
    Amelia Earhart
    Laborer Kirk
    Warship EMA
    The Caretaker
    Q as "God"
    Dr. Pollard
    Torpedo Surgeon McCoy

Only Indulgent Seven, Caretaker, and McCoy had both ENG and MED. The rest are just strong crew with either ENG or MED.

• Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I think how long it will take mainly depends on your current crew. The skills and bonus traits are assigned randomly, but if you recall your voyage after a couple of minutes you'll usually get a new skill combination and bonus trait for the next one. So you can skip the ones you don't want to waste time on.

If you already can, theoretically, reach 10 hours on all skill combinations, then it shouldn't take you too long to get there. Maybe a couple of months, if you consider that RNG will still play a big role for the weaker skill combinations.

If you have skill combinations that can not currently reach 10 hours or are very unlikely to get there, no matter your initial AM, then you'll have to cite up some crew first. There are some tools created by players to estimate voyage duration. Depending on how many cards you have to cite up, it could take a long time.

As an example, I've reached 10 hours on 24 skill combinations so far. Of the 6 that I'm still missing, on one of them I know that I'd have a good chance to make it, I just didn't see it in months. On four others, I know that it's technically possible, but unlikely and on the last one it's currently impossible (CMD/MED), unless I should get some very very lucky RNG.

I like this challenge though, so I think that I'll start to go about it more systematically. I also didn't take screenshots of all of them (the obvious ones like CMD/DIP seemed unnecessary) so I'll try to get some for all of them now :)

• Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I rate a CMD/DIP voyage pair equal to DIP/CMD even though there is a slight percentage difference because of ... in my case ... limited crew choices, so I'm throwing the same crew onto both combo voyages. I haven't made 10 hrs in combos of SEC/MED, SCI/MED and ENG/MED ... though for both SEC/MED and SCI/MED I've now got the crew to do so (or to give it a good shot) ... just need the combo to appear ...

I agree with @AviTrek ... there's often a strong focus by players on main skill pairs ... there are many examples of voyages where I have few crew with the main skill pair, but have hit 10 hrs.

Fully in agreement with @Webberoni ... if you track any voyage (successful in your goal or not) you can see exactly where you need to improve. Critical in making a step change from 8 hrs to 10 hrs (or 6 to 8).

Anyway, interested in your results, especially the list of crew you used for each voyage combo. That might give some players looking to reach 10 hrs a new, fresh perspective on their own method. Provide an opportunity for reflective learning as it were.

e.g. My last tracked 10 hr CMD/ENG was (aeons ago) ... Braxton(1/5), Tenavik(4/5); Borg Queen, KG Paris (1/5); RAF O'Brien, Determined Janeway; Borg La Forge (2/5), Mirror Picard; Ru'afu, The Caretaker; TP Chakotay, Cornwell.

This just illustrates how long between combos it can be! That was during the pre-previous mega-event between weeks 3 and 4! Both Tenavik and Borg La Forge are now immortal. Granted, I don't track voyages where I'm not really trying for 10 hrs because of event restrictions on the available crew. Still, maybe someone can learn something from that list ... if only that you don't need all immortal crew to hit 10 hrs! :)
  • Options

I'll be happy to include screenies. My first voyage that I got Tuesday I didn't get one because I didn't have the idea until afterwards. If you think that invalidates that first one, I'll start over.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be happy to include screenies. My first voyage that I got Tuesday I didn't get one because I didn't have the idea until afterwards. If you think that invalidates that first one, I'll start over.

No not at all. It’s just that pesky MED/ENG that may require validation. I’m actually looking forward to my next one to try it with my new bullets

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    EDIT: not long after posting this, I sent out a MED-ENG voyage with 12,000 / 10,750 / 22,300 / 2825 AM stats, which is estimated at 9:45 with a 21% chance to hit 10 hours!

Thanks to some bad RNG, my MED-ENG voyage had to be recalled at the 9:57 mark... hopefully you have better luck in your quest!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to some bad RNG, my MED-ENG voyage had to be recalled at the 9:57 mark... hopefully you have better luck in your quest!

Bummer...still, that’s a pretty good time for such a challenging skill combo.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man I hate it when that happens!

• Options

I have just put the numbers into a short program that simulates random voyage skills, and on 10,000 iterations, it takes an average of 120 days to hit all skill combinations, so my estimate was down.

If you assumed that the gold and silver skills were interchangable, that would give 15 combinations. e.g. Cmd/Sec is the same as Sec/Cmd, and take an average of 50 days.

If we consider the pairs interchangeable, the probability of hitting 15 Voyages in a row with no repeats is 0.0003%.

If they are NOT interchangeable, the probability of hitting 30 Voyages in a row with no repeats is 0.00000000013%.
  • Options

If we consider the pairs interchangeable, the probability of hitting 15 Voyages in a row with no repeats is 0.0003%.

If they are NOT interchangeable, the probability of hitting 30 Voyages in a row with no repeats is 0.00000000013%.

Yes, like I said above, about one in a million million.