Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Constellations - 04/09 - Mega-Event Part 1

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    furyd wrote: »
    But that wasn’t Roddenberry’s ST. In HIS vision, humanity HAD achieved that level of evolution.

Lt. Stiles disagrees.

How many Klingon swagger sticks have you siezed in hand to hand combat with a Klingon Warrior?

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read up on Roddenberry much. I just enjoy the shows. Please take this as an honest question and not sarcasm, baiting, or hostile.

Are we conflating Roddenberry's vision for humanity with his vision for the show?

DS9 and Andromeda (moreso Andromeda) showed the darker side of humanity more than his other shows. Could the networks have been the mellowing factors that kept the older shows from being as dark as the newer shows?

There also seems to be a push toward "raw and real" (I don't care for this trend) in contemporary media. Is this just an unavoidable move because of the times? I'm afraid this is the case, though again, I'm not happy about it.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I haven't read up on Roddenberry much. I just enjoy the shows. Please take this as an honest question and not sarcasm, baiting, or hostile.

Are we conflating Roddenberry's vision for humanity with his vision for the show?

DS9 and Andromeda (moreso Andromeda) showed the darker side of humanity more than his other shows. Could the networks have been the mellowing factors that kept the older shows from being as dark as the newer shows?

There also seems to be a push toward "raw and real" (I don't care for this trend) in contemporary media. Is this just an unavoidable move because of the times? I'm afraid this is the case, though again, I'm not happy about it.

Andromeda is a great example. Weren't the people who launched the attack on Humanity actually a branch of off-world Humans?

That show definitely was dark, what I have seen of it. The third or so episode had surviving children on an Earth station, that had jump-fighters/bombers and nukes. And weren't shy about using said nukes on alien planets.

Oh, and at the end of the episode, Hercules kept the nukes.........
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Roddenberry died before Deep Space Nine and Andromeda were made. He had worked on the ideas for these shows but had no control in what they did. You are correct that every series now is going darker as it is the in thing. Netflix did it with Anne of Green Gables and Lost in Space. When all the shows do it it is no longer original just played out and cliche. In Star Trek Picard to me it felt like most of the deaths were over the top and did not serve a purpose except to say “look how dark we can make the show.” I disagree with those that say DS9 was dark though. They were Starfleet trying to explore and work with others and then the war broke out and they were taxed by it but ultimately triumphed and brought peace back to the Alpha Quadrant. I watched less of Andromeda but if I recall although that show’s version of the Federation was gone Kevin Sorbo’s character was determined to bring it back upholding those ideals. I think where showrunner Michael Chabon made a mistake with Star Trek Picard
    is that what little he showed of Starfleet and the Federation showed that they had given up their ideals and the universe was devoid of hope. Michael Chabon was shocked when viewers saw the universe he had created that way but that was what he depicted. A universe in which the heroes were all corrupt or broken. Even Admiral Picard had failed to save people and given up which is something so anathema to his Captain Picard character. Admiral Picard did find a way to regain that which he lost and bring hope back but that part felt rushed and not earned. If the universe is darker then more is required to bring it back to the light. I think going forward Star Trek Picard will be more like what we have generally seen in other treks.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I think the world tilted too dark the day they made the "The Banana Splits Movie".....
  • Options
    Gene Roddenberry has put up a great way of which he wanted the world to look. Sadly enough the world doesn't turn out to be like this. Majel took part in a huge part of series that took place after his death and his son is now part of Star Trek.
    I would have loved to see his world coming out the way he wanted, but then again... I am pleased with how things like Star Trek are developing, not always the Roddenberry way, but still great SciFi.
  • Options
    How many Klingon swagger sticks have you siezed in hand to hand combat with a Klingon Warrior?

That was Captain Styles in TSFS, I'm referring to the Lieutenant in Balance of Terror.

But who doesn't love a swagger stick?
  • Options
    furyd wrote: »

That was Captain Styles in TSFS, I'm referring to the Lieutenant in Balance of Terror.

But who doesn't love a swagger stick?

But, wasn't he the same Styles,just promoted? That back-story in the novel about him getting the swagger stick was cool. Sad it did not make it into the final script.

The novel of The Voyage Home also contains neat backstory info. {Film novelizations usually come from an earlier version of the script, so the writer has time to write the novel.}

There was mention in the novelization, that the guy at the plastics factory DID create transparent aluminium. {It actually is supposedly still canon to the film, because it remained in the final cut as one of the questions Spock answers during his final testing.}
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, Raffi the kids musician?

And hear I figured the new Picard series would be dark.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go back to Sisko: "It's easy to be a saint in Paradise." He went out into the world and preached. Now it's Saint Jean-Luc's turn. It means something to see him walk among us today in a way that returning him to Paradise wouldn't. As reassuring as Sisko would be, it means something else for it to be Saint Jean-Luc. Throughout the season, he did reach some people. One of them was me.
  • Options
    And as we had it for Discovery Mega Event Info threads back then.....
    this turned again into a XY isn t Star Trek convo....🥱😴

You're right. I took the bait this time. I have brought shame upon my family. :(
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    And as we had it for Discovery Mega Event Info threads back then.....
    this turned again into a XY isn t Star Trek convo....🥱😴

Hehe. Star Trek Picard is definitely trek. It has good things and bad things like any show. There was good character development and I think season 2 is going to be awesome. I am happy to have any new trek and not all of them have to be exactly what I want because there are many other people with different tastes and Star Trek works best when each show is different to appeal to a wide audience. If I was too critical of it I apologize. For what it is worth there are many Facebook pages for Picard with people that love the show and feel it is the best ever. They rewatch every episode numerous times and get more and more out of it each time.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think how the federation/human is dealt with changes from TOS to TNG because of experiences Roddenberry had in the 70s. The characters in TOS were all flawed.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think how the federation/human is dealt with changes from TOS to TNG because of experiences Roddenberry had in the 70s. The characters in TOS were all flawed.

My understanding is that conventions became a thing, but Shatner and Nimoy didn't do them so he started playing up the ones who would. Walter Koenig's name wasn't in the main titles, wasn't in the first season and only appeared in 36 of the 54 episodes in the two seasons he was. But if you're gonna pack the house on the show circuit, Ensign Chekov needs to be a big damn deal so you shift away from the Kirk & Spock (& McCoy) show to the "ensemble cast" and "family of characters". When the time came to make TNG, he was shrewd enough to plan ahead so it'd be easier to market any of the nine(!) he originally cast. That's been the template, but it started retroactively in the 70's, not the 60's.

To bring us back to the mega-event starting with the event in this thread, I really dig pretty much everyone enough that I'm excited about getting my grubby little paws on 'em! It has also occurred to me that with 1½ skirmishes, there are two opportunities to introduce a 5* La Sirena (surely obligatory) and a 5* Romulan Bird-of-Prey (should have been obligatory already). I don't expect new ships in the hybrid, but I ain't gonna be mad at 'em if they're there.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Raffi Musiker, skill set:

Smoking some weird vape, getting drunk on what is clearly not synthehol, and ruining a shot at getting to know her son because she’s whacked out on the above two.

Welcome to the dystopian tragedy <snip> ~Shan that is now Star Trek.

Yeah it's definitely not Roddenberry's Star Trek.... don't know if as a kid i would have been attracted to yet another "oh look we are all going to die " show ....
    Except for all those "oh look we are all going to die" episodes and movies.

As for Raffi, are people supposed to no longer have troubled personal lives in the 24th century?

Yes, they're all saints, perfect and born that way. It requires no effort, you cannot fail, and as long as you're nice to everyone everyone is going to be nice with you. At least according to the "not Star Trek" crowd.

As for Raffi, are people supposed to no longer have troubled personal lives in the 24th century?

Exactly, I’ve never believed the humans are perfect unless the plot needs them to be stories. It should be a goal they are trying to achieve but never reach.

But that wasn’t Roddenberry’s ST. In HIS vision, humanity HAD achieved that level of evolution. The writers team for TNG was very unhappy about the direction Roddenberry wanted them to go because of the lack of personal strife. Hard to write compelling kumbaya stories.

In Roddenberry's Trek, the Federation people still commit genocides. If you call that an evolution then we've had very evolved people during the last century.

Exactly, I’ve never believed the humans are perfect unless the plot needs them to be stories. It should be a goal they are trying to achieve but never reach.

But that wasn’t Roddenberry’s ST. In HIS vision, humanity HAD achieved that level of evolution. The writers team for TNG was very unhappy about the direction Roddenberry wanted them to go because of the lack of personal strife. Hard to write compelling kumbaya stories.

In Roddenberry's Trek, the Federation people still commit genocides. If you call that an evolution then we've had very evolved people during the last c

Roddenberry died before Deep Space Nine and Andromeda were made. He had worked on the ideas for these shows but had no control in what they did. You are correct that every series now is going darker as it is the in thing. Netflix did it with Anne of Green Gables and Lost in Space. When all the shows do it it is no longer original just played out and cliche. In Star Trek Picard to me it felt like most of the deaths were over the top and did not serve a purpose except to say “look how dark we can make the show.” I disagree with those that say DS9 was dark though. They were Starfleet trying to explore and work with others and then the war broke out and they were taxed by it but ultimately triumphed and brought peace back to the Alpha Quadrant. I watched less of Andromeda but if I recall although that show’s version of the Federation was gone Kevin Sorbo’s character was determined to bring it back upholding those ideals. I think where showrunner Michael Chabon made a mistake with Star Trek Picard
    is that what little he showed of Starfleet and the Federation showed that they had given up their ideals and the universe was devoid of hope. Michael Chabon was shocked when viewers saw the universe he had created that way but that was what he depicted. A universe in which the heroes were all corrupt or broken. Even Admiral Picard had failed to save people and given up which is something so anathema to his Captain Picard character. Admiral Picard did find a way to regain that which he lost and bring hope back but that part felt rushed and not earned. If the universe is darker then more is required to bring it back to the light. I think going forward Star Trek Picard will be more like what we have generally seen in other treks.

The major difference between ST:Picard and 60-80s Trek is that it doesn't ambition to be the opiates of the people anymore, you can't sit on your hands and hope for a bright future, you've got to work for it, it **tsk tsk**, it's frustrating because no one else cares, it's exhausting, people won't thank you for it but if you're a good man then you're still dong it.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back on topic, who do y’all think will have better ship abilities for Week 2, Elnor or Soji? I do not have CBS All Access, so I know nothing about the new characters in STP. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back on topic, who do y’all think will have better ship abilities for Week 2, Elnor or Soji? I do not have CBS All Access, so I know nothing about the new characters in STP. 🖖

Neither did anything noteworthy for a ship ability. It'll be a completely random based on whatever ship ability TP hit on the dart board.

Just stack your other 3 slots with strong crew and don't worry about the ship ability of the bonus crew.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

Neither did anything noteworthy for a ship ability. It'll be a completely random based on whatever ship ability TP hit on the dart board.

Just stack your other 3 slots with strong crew and don't worry about the ship ability of the bonus crew.

Or see who the Existing four 🌟 is.......

Might be a good one.

But, Derka Derka with three Sledgehammer Crew is plenty for a Skirmish.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a crapshoot, Ardra some how is great in Arena.
  • Options

I would say Elnor over Soji because everyone can get Soji so if Elnor is better people will have to buy packs.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

I'd expect Elnor, with something like "Choose to Live" being a 400% insta-damage.
  • Options
    I go back to Sisko: "It's easy to be a saint in Paradise." He went out into the world and preached. Now it's Saint Jean-Luc's turn. It means something to see him walk among us today in a way that returning him to Paradise wouldn't. As reassuring as Sisko would be, it means something else for it to be Saint Jean-Luc. Throughout the season, he did reach some people. One of them was me.

Just watched that Ds9 episode today!
  • Options

Hey you can watch CBS All Access now in the U.S. for 1 month for free. Sir Pat made that announcement earlier this week I think. Good time to check up on Picard and Discovery.

Maintain social distance binge-watching Star Trek while celebrating First Contact Day!

Hey you can watch CBS All Access now in the U.S. for 1 month for free. Sir Pat made that announcement earlier this week I think. Good time to check up on Picard and Discovery.

Maintain social distance binge-watching Star Trek while celebrating First Contact Day!

Check out the short treks too, they are great.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

Check out the short treks too, they are great.

Short Treks are coming to DVD/Blu-Ray in June. Not sure if it is all of them to date or not. But looks like it might be.
  • Options
    Maybe TP will rebalance the Prakesh with boarding damage at a reasonable time, like 2s and give Elnor or Soji boarding damage to shake up the arena just a little bit.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder who will be available tomorrow in the $10 crew offer.

I’d love a Juliana Tainer... since I asked for Stranded Quark last week and got him, so why not ask?
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy moly....Raffis artwork. 😱😰😆 But better her than Soji, which looks awesome. 😜

j5trj9ptu6k8.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•