Home The Bridge
Options

Do you want Tribble Quark in recap packs?

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minority opinion here: To me, it doesn't matter who is in the recap packs because I can never afford more than a few and I know I'll only get purple crew, and most of those will already be immortalized. This will only matter to me if they make all the drops beholds.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    But Tribble Quark is event specific crew for the skirmish coming up he gets the higher bonus.

Then let me unequivocally state that that decision was a mistake, and the easiest way to fix this mistake is to drop the cost of the recap packs for this mega event from the regular 390 dilithium to the 300-320 range to account for the needless dilution of the legendary pool. Win-win, the tribble theme is maintained, the value of the recap packs are "restored", let's do it.
    I think what is really devaluated here is the legendary citation value. Since "anything goes" in packs (RSK Spock, now Tribble Quark) the strategic value of citing a card that would not be available in the portal for a long time or never is lost. One of the reasons I cite an unavailable card over others is because that other card might drop in a behold, or crew rettrieval, so I have more means to fuse it. Now, that limited time "fuse only via citations" is gettting lost.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Tribble Quark is event specific crew for the skirmish coming up he gets the higher bonus.

Then let me unequivocally state that that decision was a mistake, and the easiest way to fix this mistake is to drop the cost of the recap packs for this mega event from the regular 390 dilithium to the 300-320 range to account for the needless dilution of the legendary pool. Win-win, the tribble theme is maintained, the value of the recap packs are "restored", let's do it.

I'm pretty sure I said something earlier in this thread about self-interest. If it gets the price down, I'm sure I can find a pitchfork lying around somewhere.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Kanon wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I said something earlier in this thread about self-interest. If it gets the price down, I'm sure I can find a pitchfork lying around somewhere.
    If the price of the recap down is discounted, then the event packs already purchased are devaluated and the people that bought them are feeling cheated, and so on. Those discounts are band aids, what we really need is to have rules, clear mechanics, to know what to expect from the game, and plan in a way that at least gives some sense of strategy. If any character can show up in packs, fine, but let's be clear about it, don't mislead the players with the possibilty of (timed or not) exclusivity.

Your point about exclusivity is good, but I disagree about event packs. Event packs are meant to give immediate advantage. In a mega event, the early packs can have extended advantage if the trait matches the theme. Recap packs are discounted because that immediate advantage is gone and the pool is diluted. It would stand to reason that more dilution than normal (among legendaries) could justify a deeper discount. I don't think this devalues normal event packs in any way. YMMV, as peregrine likes to say.
    I agree overall, with a small note: the value of this mega event packs are devaluated when compared with other event packs from past mega events. It's not far-fetched to think that one would consider that a recap pack would be available at the end of the mega before buying one event pack, and that evaluation would change if one knew that the recap pack would be discounted (compared to other recaps)
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

If the price of the recap down is discounted, then the event packs already purchased are devaluated and the people that bought them are feeling cheated, and so on. Those discounts are band aids, what we really need is to have rules, clear mechanics, to know what to expect from the game, and plan in a way that at least gives some sense of strategy. If any character can show up in packs, fine, but let's be clear about it, don't mislead the players with the possibilty of (timed or not) exclusivity.

Your point about exclusivity is good, but I disagree about event packs. Event packs are meant to give immediate advantage. In a mega event, the early packs can have extended advantage if the trait matches the theme. Recap packs are discounted because that immediate advantage is gone and the pool is diluted. It would stand to reason that more dilution than normal (among legendaries) could justify a deeper discount. I don't think this devalues normal event packs in any way. YMMV, as peregrine likes to say.
    I agree overall, with a small note: the value of this mega event packs are devaluated when compared with other event packs from past mega events. It's not far-fetched to think that one would consider that a recap pack would be available at the end of the mega before buying one event pack, and that evaluation would change if one knew that the recap pack would be discounted (compared to other recaps)

That is a possibility. I tend to err on the side of letting players know what to expect, so you make a good point in that regard.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't usually get recap packs, so I don't have a tribble in this race.

However, it's been a lot of fun to do a mega where the last two recurring legendaries were bonus crew. I have a solid roster, especially for exobiology, but having FFed Barry and Quark really supercharged the experience.

I don't expect this to be a frequent occurrence, coming up with crew/stories for a mega is difficult enough without trying to make sure the last recurring legendary is also applicable. This doesn't mean they need to be event crew, but I hope the generally negative opinion to Quark's role in Ep 4 doesn't dissuade something similar to this happening in the future.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    No
    This really **tsk tsk**, I never cited the tribble quark, but I feel for those who did.
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well I didn't get quark today and I don't pull recaps for the low value to me. Mainly because I have all the purples and last time I did it, spent 10k before I even got a gold.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, why not? Got to FF him
    dgnmtql09747.png
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    No
    I never buy the recap packs because I feel like the odds are already severely stacked against me getting a crew I'd actually want/need, but I don't like the inclusion of Quark in this mega's recap packs. Ironically, I must have forgotten to cite him during his mega, since he's still sitting at 4/5 for me. However, I hate the precedent this sets.

Tribble Quark being shoehorned into this mega after being the previous recurring mega 5* just speaks to poor planning. It is yet another in a growling list of bad decisions when it comes to pack standards.

I already thought the recap packs were poorly designed, believing that the existing 4* crew from the mega events should be excluded. Given the extremely high likelihood of getting a 4* crew I have already immortalized, either prior to the mega or during the mega (from all but straight skirmish or faction events, when I feel the odds are far better to purchase an event pack or use a free 4* campaign citation, to fully fuse the new 4* crew), I have a hard time seeing good value in the recap packs even before they are further diluted by adding another 5* crew unnecessarily.
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Color me confused. I didn’t think Quark was going to turn up in this week's recap. I thought he was going to be “just” in the end event recap. If he’s going to be in both that’s just overkill. The only plus I see to his being in this week’s pack is you’re guaranteed a Phlox if you roll for a purple drop. If I cared about Chekov I’d be REALLY mad.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It occurs to me that there's a solution that would make everyone happy: Make the 5* drops Beholds.

Won't happen, of course. But it would definitely change a whole lot of attitudes.

That would be great even if the other two in the behold were just from portal.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It occurs to me that there's a solution that would make everyone happy: Make the 5* drops Beholds.

Won't happen, of course. But it would definitely change a whole lot of attitudes.

I've always felt recap packs should be a behold of the event crew. I'd be much more likely to buy then. Even if they had them at a standard 650 Dil cost.

The funny thing is, they already do sometimes (rarely) turn up as beholds. The programming is clearly already in place. It just needs to be set for "all" instead of "rarely random" (randomly rarely?).
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    No

That deserves another awesome. I like your idea on this one. I think it makes sense and is a win-win

Edit: For me I would spend the same amount of dil. So more packs to open would not feel bad about taking honor for those dupes that I probably would get.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    No
    I'm indifferent. Insofar as Tribble Quark having just recently been featured, I'm sure there are plenty of players who still haven't fully fused him and would like to. Admittedly, this is likely to be a rather small pool of players. I guess I've just never lost the perspective I had during my first year as a VIP 0 player.

I understand that statistically, the odds will change statistically by adding Quark and is detrimental to my chances of pulling what I want. However, in a practical sense, adding Quark doesn't make these recap packs any different for me than any other recap packs. I already go into recap packs hoping to dodge at least one 5* and that goes up to 2/5 once I pull the fifth star for the recurring 5*. This time will be different because I want stars for all the 5*'s. Adding Quark spoils the 100% want percentage, but that only leaves me where I'm used to being with recap packs.

That said, I think what would be spiffy would be if there were two recap packs; one featuring the previously existing crew, and the other featuring the new. I'd be all about that.

I read this. I guess it stuck. Because, I ended up saying the same thing. It would be a possible option. But, @Bylo Band I do like the idea of the recap packs being reduced as he suggested 300-320 dil. The self interest is certainly on the player side for everyone . I do not think that it would hurt DB extensively. For me I would spend the same amount of dil. and I think that would be true for many buying the recap packs, only guessing here.

But it would pretty much make up for the dupes of Quark. Assuming one opens a good amount of packs. I suppose if one opens 8 packs and all they get is one dupe of Quark, it could be rough for those players it happens to.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted days ago and told myself there was no need to comment, but this thread keeps going, so here it is.

I stopped citing the mega recurring crew after the TOS mega (2019). As a TOS fan, I cited Garth in week 1, then giddily pulled a bunch of wrap-up packs in hopes of improving any of the other 4 legendaries I’d earned in the event. As you can guess, I only got another Garth, and didn’t even finish off the 3/4 SR crew, meaning that I got nothing of value (other than honor). ‘Bummed’ is not a strong enough word for my reaction. I kept the unleveled 1/5 Garth on my roster for 18 months because I like Garth and I hate wasting dilithium, but I finally airlocked him when I accepted that the expense of getting him FF’d outweighed the benefits to my roster.

My Tribble Quark is 4/5. If I happen to pull him next week, I’ll obviously be happy, but I voted “no” because it’s bad precedent for the game. My personal interest in improving the card doesn’t matter in this discussion.

My post-2019 wrap-up pack rule is all about risk avoidance: pull until I reach my predetermined spending limit, but stop immediately if I pull the 5th star for the recurring. Sometimes that means I miss out on FFing the SR cards, but that’s a better outcome to me than getting 550 honor for a card I used 50,000 honor to improve just a few weeks earlier.

That sums it up for me perfectly. Thank you for being eloquent. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    My personal interest in improving the card doesn’t matter in this discussion.

This right here, 100%. I had a piece I was working on to say this, but there is no longer a need. That one sentence is perfection.
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Recap packs purchased: 35
    Tribble Quarks needed: 1
    Tribble Quarks received: 0
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Well they went and put Quark in, despite a nearly 80% vote for no. I think very reasonable arguments were made here for him NOT being included. I’m passing on these recaps.
  • Options
    [10F]risky Dingo[10F]risky Dingo ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    No
    My final thoughts: now that I've pulled a fair few packs, I realize just how low the drop chance is, for one of the mega gold cards. The hubristic attitude of WRG is mind-blowing. The drop chance was that low and yet you still diluted it with Tribble Quark.. unbelievable...

I would ask WRG to "do better," but I believe the sentiment is moot. If feels like they *clearly* do not care. And, that, makes me tired of this game (and any other game by WRG/TP).
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Got 3 Tribble McCoy, 0 Tribble Quark
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Yes
    I don't believe the results of this poll to be an accurate representation of how the player base as a whe feels about Quark being in the pack. 80% of people who participate in the forums and chose to respond to this topic did not want him in the packs. I don't think that was enough to make WRG change their minds. The much bigger issue in my opinion was Spirk in ET, and they stuck to their decision. I expected no different here.
    I was all for it, and sadly didn't get one.