Home The Bridge
Options

Lower Decks! Lower Decks!

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    So happy for Lower Decks coming. Thanks to the WRG for making it happen.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kim-Novak wrote: »
    He's still the OG of Lower Decks crew

Speaking of, when are we gonna get a TNG O'Brien? Transporter Chief?

I want a 4* Groom O'Brien (a groom can never top the bride) with him in his TNG era dress uniform. How many in that uniform do we even have? I can't think of any, except Promoted Sisko, maybe.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just proves that star trek has become a joke ...

I’ll just leave these here… :wink:

fy8g83dioehh.jpeg

Kara: Brain and brain! What is *brain*?
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

ufh1y8kp5ex6.jpeg
    Star-Trek-TNG-Sub-Rosa.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370&dpr=1.5
    ef3ibj2gxdq5.jpeg
    vcqybsazrcgq.jpeg
    fy8g83dioehh.jpeg

I would add that Lower Decks is funny on purpose.

I want a 4* Groom O'Brien (a groom can never top the bride) with him in his TNG era dress uniform. How many in that uniform do we even have? I can't think of any, except Promoted Sisko, maybe.

minmmnvz4rss.jpg
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭

ufh1y8kp5ex6.jpeg
    ef3ibj2gxdq5.jpeg
    vcqybsazrcgq.jpeg
    fy8g83dioehh.jpeg
    LOL, you are comparing the lowest of Star Trek to what is now commonplace in nu trek :D
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    I just want a tendi card as she's my fave

b0dzds0lse9s.jpg
  • Options
    I’m thrilled about it! Can’t wait to get Badgey and Tendi.
    I was reluctant to watch the show, I’m glad I gave it a chance cause it’s so good!
    I can’t understand the hate in some comments like if they were directly insulted about it. Get over it, it’s coming!

It's like the Star Wars or Marvel "fans" on Fakebook.

"If I don't like it, it is trash and no one should like it."
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    I was reluctant to watch the show, I’m glad I gave it a chance cause it’s so good!
    I can’t understand the hate in some comments like if they were directly insulted about it. Get over it, it’s coming!

It's like the Star Wars or Marvel "fans" on Fakebook.

"If I don't like it, it is trash and no one should like it."

Because there are soooo many self-appointed gatekeepers out there. And each of them will try to tell you that {insert hated series} is not something Gene Roddenberry would have approved of, conveniently ignoring the fact that he isn't alive to tell us whether he would have or not.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    Star Wars & Trek fans are their own worse enemy
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭

minmmnvz4rss.jpg

I was hoping for a "That's what she said" when I wrote that, but alas...
    You need to hear some of the things that are said at bridal showers/bachelorette parties in my family, especially when my grandmother was still alive. Think a mix of Betty White and RuPaul...If I had just a fraction of her commentary on the talk shows she used to watch, like Jerry Springer, I'd have a viral video oncve a week.
    I take the advice a professor gave us about anthropological theory and apply it to Star Trek as a whole.
    It's like a buffet. Some things aren't something you'll like or want, but be aware, someone else might be interested and you can send them in the right direction. Sample the rest. Take more or less of this and that until you have what works for you, but always remember that just because it isn't right for you, doesn't mean it isn't perfect for someone else.
    If you don't want the crew, take a break and let those that want them have them. Be kind.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Kanon wrote: »

ufh1y8kp5ex6.jpeg
    ef3ibj2gxdq5.jpeg
    vcqybsazrcgq.jpeg
    fy8g83dioehh.jpeg
    LOL, you are comparing the lowest of Star Trek to what is now commonplace in nu trek :D

Riker’s chest is the lowest of Trek?!?!? You take that back!

Will do. Post warp 10 Janway and Paris, and Sub Rosa are inexcusable, the rest, I don't have much of a problem.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selene 7 wrote: »
    In my part of the world, seeing all the new series would require me to subscribe to two streaming services that I'm not currently subscribed to, so yeah, I'm not going to do that. Maybe one day. 🤷
    It's an easy one to binge. I enjoy watching it, but I don't renew Paramount+ for it, I just catch up when I do.

I enjoy Lower Decks, but find the intermittent crash humor to be a fair distraction from an otherwise heartful celebration of Trek.

"Distraction" is the perfect word for how I feel about it, too. I think I disliked the first episode because it was too imbalanced toward that humor. Since then, though, they've kept it down enough that it doesn't ruin an episode for me. "Mugato, Gumato" is a great example. (No need to even summarize for anyone who's seen it.) Just when it started to lose me, it got right back on track and kept me in it.

Mugato, Gumato is my go-to example for this. I agree it's gotten far better about this. While annoying, it does tend to be brief.

In S1, Mariner also has a bunch of scenes about how annoying she can be . . . which are themselves annoying. I don't recall any of this in S2.

ufh1y8kp5ex6.jpeg
    ef3ibj2gxdq5.jpeg
    vcqybsazrcgq.jpeg
    fy8g83dioehh.jpeg

Riker’s chest is the lowest of Trek?!?!? You take that back!

Will do. Post warp 10 Janway and Paris, and Sub Rosa are inexcusable, the rest, I don't have much of a problem.
    Have you forgotten Up The Long Ladder?

Because if you have, please tell me how you managed it, I desperately need to know. :D
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭

The same hate exhibited by fans with the release of any new series which often have shaky first seasons. The pitchforks were out after the first season on TNG.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

The same hate exhibited by fans with the release of any new series which often have shaky first seasons. The pitchforks were out after the first season on TNG.

With respect, they were out before the first season (that article has one great quote, among many: "unknown British Shakespearean actor" :D ). But the rest of your point is solid. The one thing that can bring several generations of Star Trek fans together is not liking the latest installment. Everyone wants new, interesting things that are exactly like all the old things they are familiar with.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DS9 documentary What awe Left Behind went into all the hate by a small portion of fans when they started too. That’s how we know Lower Decks is real trek.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    The DS9 documentary What awe Left Behind went into all the hate by a small portion of fans when they started too. That’s how we know Lower Decks is real trek.

I absolutely adore the current Renaissance that DS9 has enjoyed the last several years. I remember the snubbing it got from fans at the time. I joke that there were only seventeen people who even watched it, and my friends and I were three of them. I heard other fans grouse at conventions I attended at that time, too. I even tried to get some people who had started watching but gave up on it to give it another chance. They said they hated what they saw in its first season too much to waste their time.

Confession: I hated "Emissary" the first time I saw it. I went into school the next morning and complained about everything down to the orange they used in the font of the credits. I stuck with it, though, and it won me over quickly. It took me awhile to understand my only problem with "Emissary" was that it wasn't The Next Generation. I see now that it was the most mature, ambitious pilot of all of Star Trek.

Back to Lower Decks: I saw a clickbait article that I fell for that I won't reward with a link here. They purported that some Lower Decks characters were set to appear in live action. When I looked into it, they were saying it was supposed to happen on Strange New Worlds, which of course would make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Then I realized what site I was reading it on and was disappointed in myself.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    EnderW wrote: »

With respect, they were out before the first season (that article has one great quote, among many: "unknown British Shakespearean actor" :D ). But the rest of your point is solid. The one thing that can bring several generations of Star Trek fans together is not liking the latest installment. Everyone wants new, interesting things that are exactly like all the old things they are familiar with.

That "unknown British Shakespearean actor" had already been:

Sejanus
    Leondegrance
    Gurney Halleck
    Dr. Armstorng
    Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk
    Antonio Salieri

I'd seen him as Dr. Armstrong in the best vampires in space movie ever, Leondegrance father-in-law of the one true king of England, and the ultimate Gurney Halleck. Going into battle against the evil Harkonnen with a carbine in one hand and the Atreides House Pug in the other.

08v9xp5nwrt0.jpg

Them acting like people had never heard of him smells of sour grapes.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »

That "unknown British Shakespearean actor" had already been:

Sejanus
    Leondegrance
    Gurney Halleck
    Dr. Armstorng
    Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk
    Antonio Salieri

None of that matters though when you consider he's been in Coronation Street. Decades before Sir Ian Mckellen too (1967)

https://youtu.be/FUwYwJ2DT_I

• Options
    So, I'm guessing Prodigy characters would be a problem?
  • Options
    FF_Founder wrote: »

I can see two potential concerns with Prodigy characters. Adding content from a series with such a young target audience raises some self-evident issues. Even if Paramount is okay with it, there's been a longstanding resistance to introducing adolescent characters into Timelines. For quite awhile an outright ban was surmised until they added Kestra Troi-Riker. Neither of those concerns apply to Lower Decks.

Hologram Janeway should be an easy addition, though, as well as show-specific variants of [redacted] and [redacted].
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

I can see two potential concerns with Prodigy characters. Adding content from a series with such a young target audience raises some self-evident issues. Even if Paramount is okay with it, there's been a longstanding resistance to introducing adolescent characters into Timelines. For quite awhile an outright ban was surmised until they added Kestra Troi-Riker. Neither of those concerns apply to Lower Decks.

Hologram Janeway should be an easy addition, though, as well as show-specific variants of [redacted] and [redacted].

What about Alexander? He was in game for years. The one that was always missing was Balok for obvious reasons
  • Options
    edited April 2022

I'm okay with [redacted], but if they add ]redacted] I am lighting the pitchforks and sharpening the torches!

cvyawdn9pq1s.gif

I know others used to play Marvel Avengers Alliance. I remember there were "concerns" when they added the Runaways to the game. Because Molly Hayes is like ten in the original comics. People did not want to have their "adult" "heroes" beat up a ten year old in PvP. Then they introduced her broken, and she could win any PvP match if she got to where she used her Buff skill. Until that was fixed, it was not much of an issue "beating her up". She also had a Heroic Battle that had a chance to win either her E-Iso or the one for Punisher. She fought Punisher in that one.

This game having a much more "Static" PvP component might not be such a concern if they add more "kid" crew.

• Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaiMon Bok wrote: »

Because there are soooo many self-appointed gatekeepers out there. And each of them will try to tell you that {insert hated series} is not something Gene Roddenberry would have approved of, conveniently ignoring the fact that he isn't alive to tell us whether he would have or not.

And yet they happily enjoy the stuff he did actually hate, including Trouble with Tribbles, Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country and DS9 (he rejected the concept of DS9 outright; it was greenlit a couple of weeks after his death).