Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion Thread: Galaxy Event Lower Decks Edition! Medicine for Mayhem - 2022-05-05

Comments

• Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roddenberry, as well as several cast and crew, had been in the service, in one form or another. They would have been very familiar with military rank, even beyond their own service.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Recurring I love Shran and would love a Shran that is usable in game at a high level (maybe a Xindi arch "mining consortium" Shran?)
    1000%

Easily my most wanted ENT crew!

Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    robownage wrote: »
    DaiMon Bok wrote: »
    Ok, as a former US Navy sailor, I have to point out that this is NOT how you describe the uniform for a Lieutenant Junior Grade:
    l83xmmp9bjjt.png

It should be Lieutenant JG or, if abbreviated, Lt JG. This hodgepodge of capital and lowercase letters mixed with too many periods is improper and shows that the design crew failed to research basic naval ranks and designations before putting this out.
    Honestly, I have zero expectation of them to research naval ranks or designations. It's a game about Star Trek, not the US Navy.
    um, Admiral, Captain, Commander, Ensign. All Navy ranks . Don't recall a General, Sergeant or Private on any of the SHIPS
    And pretty sure there was a British - & many other country's - Navy before there was an American one 🤣

• Options
    Kim-Novak wrote: »
    Ok, as a former US Navy sailor, I have to point out that this is NOT how you describe the uniform for a Lieutenant Junior Grade:
    l83xmmp9bjjt.png

It should be Lieutenant JG or, if abbreviated, Lt JG. This hodgepodge of capital and lowercase letters mixed with too many periods is improper and shows that the design crew failed to research basic naval ranks and designations before putting this out.
    Honestly, I have zero expectation of them to research naval ranks or designations. It's a game about Star Trek, not the US Navy.
    um, Admiral, Captain, Commander, Ensign. All Navy ranks . Don't recall a General, Sergeant or Private on any of the SHIPS
    And pretty sure there was a British - & many other country's - Navy before there was an American one 🤣

Enterprise's MACOs used land ranks. We do have Private Money in the game. We still need Major Hayes, Corporal Cole, and a couple others. It's a bit like Marines.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    l83xmmp9bjjt.png

Enterprise's MACOs used land ranks. We do have Private Money in the game. We still need Major Hayes, Corporal Cole, and a couple others. It's a bit like Marines.

But they were not part of Starfleet. And were assigned to Enterprise, very Grudgingly of course from Reed's frustration, so weren't technically Enterprise's
  • Options
    That said, I wouldn't expect someone developing a Star Trek game to know that, let alone sit down and research naval tradition.

I certainly would. When I was working on the unit databases for Steel Panthers:World At War, I carefully researched armour values for the various vehicles, TOEs and TOOs for 20+ nations, and even tactical handbooks and directives from the period before I posted any updated or new OOBs, to be sure I had included accurate data.

I could forgive them for missing the boat on technical minutiae, like the failure to equip the new Romulan BOP with a cloaking device and a plasma torpedo, but not on something as easy-peasy as the proper rank designations.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is Lower Decks though. Mariner prolly changed it just to mess with Boimler.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, I wouldn't expect someone developing a Star Trek game to know that, let alone sit down and research naval tradition.

I certainly would. When I was working on the unit databases for Steel Panthers:World At War, I carefully researched armour values for the various vehicles, TOEs and TOOs for 20+ nations, and even tactical handbooks and directives from the period before I posted any updated or new OOBs, to be sure I had included accurate data.

I could forgive them for missing the boat on technical minutiae, like the failure to equip the new Romulan BOP with a cloaking device and a plasma torpedo, but not on something as easy-peasy as the proper rank designations.

I'm not disagreeing that getting the name of the rank is wrong, though? I fully agree that they got it wrong and it should be fixed. They should absolutely be getting it right - because it's like that in Star Trek. The fact that Starfleet ranks are based on naval tradition is a nice tidbit, but incidental.

I would argue two defining characteristics of the Romulan BOP, both of which were major plot points from the episode that introduced the ship, is just as important. Again - because it was like that in the show.

Expecting them to research naval tradition when they can't be bothered to properly research Star Trek itself might be setting oneself up for disappointment.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭

You seem like an unique worker. But I'm afraid that doing like this is not possible in most working places where everyone has a deadline. I have 8 workers under me and I have 2 who would do the same kind of detail in their work but I'm afraid those people are scare and cost a lot which I don't have a budget for so I have to be "ok" with mediocre. Most humans perform mediocre. It's very hard these days to find someone who is willing to work higher then mediocre.

It's great that you work that kind of detailed but we live in a world where that is no longer the case.

So I would totally understand that this detail error happened, I hope they can fix it.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    l83xmmp9bjjt.png

In fairness, the example set by the franchise's current powers that be hardly encourages anything resembling a grasp of rank. Ensigns being made executive officers; civilians given field promotions to become Starfleet captains... *sigh*. Though ironically, Lower Decks is the one current era series that has bothered to recognize a chain of command. That's one of the things I appreciate about it. Mariner should have been court-martialed and sent to the hoosegow years ago, but I'm willing to play along with her antics given that it's a comedy cartoon.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first non-Skirmish Top 750!0o76f4ok439z.jpg
    I also hit Level 99.
    Congratulations on reaching the pinnacle!
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Thanks, @~peregrine~ I kind of surprised myself. I knew I had a decent hoard of chrons, but Boimler was an easier build than I expected and Mariner wasn't bad either. I used both pretty frequently with a couple gold docs filling in for T'Ana.
    I was lower in the ranks than I expected for the first couple days, but I figured a lot of people with threshold out ahead of the repeart, if they don't need Nona, so I waited to worry. I think I cleared thresholds around seven or eight on Sunday morning before I left for church. With Boimler done, Mariner equipped, and a decent amount of chrons left, I just kept going. I was down around 1800 this morning at nine and just climbed steady. I turned in my bonus items at phase change Saturday, so I turned in as I got them afterwards.
    Well, my Nona is 3/5 lvl80 now and my chron stash is back up to 3k, so I'm building up to the Skirmish already. I'll see how I do with something a bit more competitive.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @~peregrine~ I kind of surprised myself. I knew I had a decent hoard of chrons, but Boimler was an easier build than I expected and Mariner wasn't bad either. I used both pretty frequently with a couple gold docs filling in for T'Ana.
    I was lower in the ranks than I expected for the first couple days, but I figured a lot of people with threshold out ahead of the repeart, if they don't need Nona, so I waited to worry. I think I cleared thresholds around seven or eight on Sunday morning before I left for church. With Boimler done, Mariner equipped, and a decent amount of chrons left, I just kept going. I was down around 1800 this morning at nine and just climbed steady. I turned in my bonus items at phase change Saturday, so I turned in as I got them afterwards.
    Well, my Nona is 3/5 lvl80 now and my chron stash is back up to 3k, so I'm building up to the Skirmish already. I'll see how I do with something a bit more competitive.
    I think you were right about the TaO contingent. I was fretting about the late SRTI cashers, but I earned enough on Saturday to let me coast.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    I never really worried about rankings until I became a viable ranker myself, but I've learned that, until I've cleared thresholds, I shouldn't even bother to check rankings. Then, I check to see what the pace is.
    There are certain groups in every event. TaO is a big segment to consider. I, personally, have only done it once or twice and only see a very narrow set of circumstances where I do that. There's also the 4* and out crowd. Not checking until you pass thresholds covers both of those. Lately, there are the ones that have no interest in the gold that either don't play at all really or TaO. Whether it's over objections to the series or complaints about the stats, I don't care. I'm a collector and a competitor. That's basically more for me. It's less competition for rank and gold crew, as far I'm concerned. I've come with 10 of my Top 250 achievement twice now and I want it.
    This is also very much a collector game. One, I have a degree of OCD and can tell you EXACTLY how many crew I'm missing and come close to naming most of them. (94 with a 90/4 gold/purple split and Tam Elbrum will be new for me this Rewards cycle. Thanks, WRG!) Two, eventually, everyone will be in a collection and those buffs are very much part of my playing strategy. What they give me collection wise is a factor in beholds, not the top one, but I do consider it. They may not be useful for play directly, but, if they can get me buffs or clear a slot, they can still help that way.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    This is also very much a collector game. One, I have a degree of OCD and can tell you EXACTLY how many crew I'm missing and come close to naming most of them. (94 with a 90/4 gold/purple split and Tam Elbrum will be new for me this Rewards cycle. Thanks, WRG!) Two, eventually, everyone will be in a collection and those buffs are very much part of my playing strategy. What they give me collection wise is a factor in beholds, not the top one, but I do consider it. They may not be useful for play directly, but, if they can get me buffs or clear a slot, they can still help that way.

I don't see this ever happening unless they do collections for each show. And then you leave out ones from things like Star Trek Shorts. Also, many collections are already maxed out already. Any point updating the 1st 3 levels?
    You can't do purp & gold collections because of the rate that they constantly are added
    Ben has talked on timelines talk in what goes into making a new collection & it isn't that simple. If you do get everyone in a collection, there will be an overwhelming amount that can qualify in so many & devalue the game in which crew is worth aiming to get
    Plus tge time for tgat to happen... 😶
  • Options

I don't see this ever happening unless they do collections for each show. And then you leave out ones from things like Star Trek Shorts. Also, many collections are already maxed out already. Any point updating the 1st 3 levels?
    You can't do purp & gold collections because of the rate that they constantly are added
    Ben has talked on timelines talk in what goes into making a new collection & it isn't that simple. If you do get everyone in a collection, there will be an overwhelming amount that can qualify in so many & devalue the game in which crew is worth aiming to get

Ummm, you do know that there are currently only 112 crew that aren't in at least one collection out of 1192 in the Vault right? Most of those have one or more of the following four traits: Bajoran (63 total in Vault), Desperate (224), Romantic (177), and Trill (31). Musician (79), Gambler (69), or Explorer (92) would pick up a lot of the remaining ones. Considering they generally do one collection a month, so eight more this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one or two of those pop up before year's end. There has been a lot of calls for Bajoran and Musician. Time will tell if which of us is right. I'm just playing the odds.
  • Options

Ummm, you do know that there are currently only 112 crew that aren't in at least one collection out of 1192 in the Vault right? Most of those have one or more of the following four traits: Bajoran (63 total in Vault), Desperate (224), Romantic (177), and Trill (31). Musician (79), Gambler (69), or Explorer (92) would pick up a lot of the remaining ones. Considering they generally do one collection a month, so eight more this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one or two of those pop up before year's end. There has been a lot of calls for Bajoran and Musician. Time will tell if which of us is right. I'm just playing the odds.

I for one had no idea there were that few crew not in any collection. Put this way, yeah, it seems entirely doable. Maybe inevitable. I would think Desperate is already too large a pool to work but the rest ought to be feasible. Also, where's the Bajoran collection petition? I need to sign that.
  • Options
    The total is now at 113 with the new Sito, but she's Bajoran...so, she's easy to pick up. It's like 8...8 1/2% of the crew.
    Ahhh...OCD and Asperger's...numbers, stats, and pattern recognition is my wheelhouse. Think about it. Any 3* or less is automatically in a collection. Only 4* or 5* crew aren't in one.
    There are some surprisingly good crew, like Pah Wraith Keiko, that aren't in any collections. The new Sito has NINE traits and no collection value, but she has good potential. Bajoran, of course, but also Athlete or Duelist. Most new crew automatically go in a collection. Out of four this week- Vance, Sito, OS Torres, and Elnor, only one isn't. Go back further and all of them from last week were. Same the week before, I think.
    Desperate is about the same size pool as Resourceful actually. (Which needs two tiers of Milestones added, fyi.) So, it's not without precedent. I've mentioned about nine traits that would pull multiple "orphan" crew into a collection. Honestly, at least one of those will likely exist before the end of the year. There's eight months left in the year. The number not in a collection will probably be 80 or less by the end of the year.
    A few aren't in a collection because of oversight, I think. How is Leah Brahms NOT an Innovator? Geordi created a hologram of her because he needed her help to figure out the problem, since she'd done so much on the design. How does that not count?
    I'll reaudit at next collection. I'm just a realist. Notice the number of collections a crew is in is now a selling point.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

Bajoran & Klingon should have been collections right from the start. Why they were overlooked (& still are being in the case of Bajorans) is beyond me but stupid. I want to work on completing the collection goals right now, not new ones
    I don't want everything handed to me on a platter. I want to earn & work my way up. I just immortalized Decoy Kira & am 2 * away from getting Scapegoat O'Brien but that will wait for a DYC so I can dupe him
    Trait themed megas are lame IMO because they are too easy now. The Factions become boring with overkill crew. Bring back story/show themed instead & make the bonus just on variants of crew
    It used to be a special occasion when we got a new collection. Now it's just expected

And it's not about who's right or wrong. I would suggest watching the Timelines Talk interview from their charity night when they talk to Ben & co if you haven't already. It may happen? Not for a long time. Just make Bajoran & Film collections
  • Options
    I'm just saying I would expect most crew will be in one collection or another within 18 months. I'm chugging along on collections too. There are at least thirteen Milestones that need added to existing collections. I keep a list.
    I need two stars on Diversion Yates to have Scapegoat myself. I'm one away from next Milestone on two collections and I should make it during this Skirmish. My fleet is plugging away on buffs, but we're not there yet. Collection buffs are big moments for me. I totally agree about Bajoran being an oversight. There are 64 Bajorans in the Vault and 5 have no other collection:
    Mok'bara Sato Jaxa (9 Traits)
    Fisticuffs Audio (6 Traits)
    Prophet Kira (5 Traits)
    Disguised Kira (4 Traits)
    Iden (8 Traits)
    Trill has 31 crew and 7 have no other collection.
    Duelist- 98- 11 in no other collections
    So, yes, I enjoy every collection, existing or new. It adds a new layer or two for me strategy wise. I watch TT sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. I'm just saying, intentional or not, it has a good chance of happening sooner rather than later. If every new collection picks up an average of five crew that weren't in another collection before, that's forty this year and sixty next. I go by numbers and what I see. I've got a counter going on my whiteboard. There is a 113 in a square in blue that I will adjust with new orphan crew or new collections accordingly. It's right there above my missing crew split. I'm watching.
    8v44hdi5s7fk.jpg

• Options
    Trait themed megas are lame IMO because they are too easy now. The Factions become boring with overkill crew.

On that note, it's way past time to do something with the Hirogen and KCA. Their paltry rosters stand at a combined seven crew. Four were included at launch. The last was added on 9/14/16. When they add the first Tendi from Lower Decks, there will be more Orions than these two combined. I understand the KCA feeling obligatory but I've never understood making the Hirogen a faction. I say replace the Hirogen with the Orion Syndicate. Transfer players' reputations so no one's progress is wasted. As for the KCA, we're still lacking Overseer Odo and Bareil Antos. Lursa & B'Etor were named but never seen. Outside of them, I guess it's time for more Timelines Originals. There are plenty of possibilities for those.
  • Options
    l83xmmp9bjjt.png

As of today, this naming error has been fixed.

I would like to thank Shran and anyone else involved in correcting this mistake. Apologies if my comment was insensitive to any of the parties responsible for it.
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »

I can assure you that, SHRAN, had nothing to do with it >:)o:)

:o
    My sincerest apologies for my mis-attribution!
  • Options
    a3hzae6zkpnp.jpeg

If u are to be confused with a Star Trek character, Shran is a good one to be confused with. Much better than to be confused with this guy.

96vvxxug9j2v.jpeg
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    I always have to think at AoE 1, Shang civilization. Was my favorite one.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    Trait themed megas are lame IMO because they are too easy now. The Factions become boring with overkill crew.

On that note, it's way past time to do something with the Hirogen and KCA. Their paltry rosters stand at a combined seven crew. Four were included at launch. The last was added on 9/14/16. When they add the first Tendi from Lower Decks, there will be more Orions than these two combined. I understand the KCA feeling obligatory but I've never understood making the Hirogen a faction. I say replace the Hirogen with the Orion Syndicate. Transfer players' reputations so no one's progress is wasted. As for the KCA, we're still lacking Overseer Odo and Bareil Antos. Lursa & B'Etor were named but never seen. Outside of them, I guess it's time for more Timelines Originals. There are plenty of possibilities for those.

With Discovery well under way, even Picard & Lower Decks, Isn't it time to introduce some more factions & give the game a bit more life?

When was Borg introduced?

The only problem would be how to make it a challenge as it most likely would be easy with the cards now
    Unless only certain crew could complete the missions that were from pull packs & events & at immortalized
  • Options

With Discovery well under way, even Picard & Lower Decks, Isn't it time to introduce some more factions & give the game a bit more life?

When was Borg introduced?

The only problem would be how to make it a challenge as it most likely would be easy with the cards now
    Unless only certain crew could complete the missions that were from pull packs & events & at immortalized

New factions is a great idea. If space is an issue, remove Hirogen and Maquis since they are almost never used. I just airlock all Hirogen and Maquis items when my inventory gets close to full.
    Let’s fly!