Home The Bridge
Options

WRG layoffs - is Ben all alone now?

Comments

• Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭

While it is sad when people are let go it may not be as bad as some are saying here.

I just rechecked for an exact number.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/tilting-point-buys-star-trek-timelines-from-disruptor-beam

The team was always small for game development standards, now after the layoff it has become even smaller. So I hope STT will continue, but should we get new features etc. they will come in snail pace.

• Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    So perhaps this winds up being the catalyst for a shifting of priorities and TP/WRG actually taking the player perspective to heart going forward.

Hopefully. Otherwise I am enjoying Marvel Snap more and more anyway. I love Marvel nearly as much as Star Trek. It is a card collecting and card battle game. And many of the things that we do not like in here, are not present here. And it is very very fair for a mobile game:

You can play whenever you want, for as long as you want. No timers or other money grabbing stunts prevent that.

You don´t need to freeze or unfreeze cards. The cards will always stay in your unlimited inventory.

When you get a card you can level it up for graphical improvements or to climb higher in the collection level so can get new and better cards. But as soon as you get a card, it already has the best power/skills.

While, same as here, you could spend much zero spending is needed to be competive after a little while with just playing (and the right strategies).

The bug fixing in the latest patch was massive - and many more fixes are on the way fast.

The team is very transparent with their nerfing decisions and their reasons are sound.

There are not too many game modes right now, but already the way it is, Marvel Snap is highly entertaining.

• Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    We have no idea what percent of the workforce was let go. Plenty of tech businesses have had layoffs and they are still operational.

14%, representing in the neighborhood of 60 people according to this article:

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/80753/tilting-point-lays-of-14-of-its-workforce/

While it is sad when people are let go it may not be as bad as some are saying here.

14% is overall number , not the number at WRG.

Pretty obvious(thx to the reddit comments of the laid off ex employees)
    that way more than just 14% of all WRG stuff has been released.

Looks more like 70-80% to me imho.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have no idea what percent of the workforce was let go. Plenty of tech businesses have had layoffs and they are still operational.

14%, representing in the neighborhood of 60 people according to this article:

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/80753/tilting-point-lays-of-14-of-its-workforce/

14% is overall number , not the number at WRG.

Pretty obvious(thx to the reddit comments of the laid off ex employees)
    that way more than just 14% of all WRG stuff has been released.

Looks more like 70-80% to me imho.

Do you mean LinkedIn?
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I'm not assuming the worst just yet, but of course my wallet just sealed shut until I've been reassured.

Same, and I suspect we are not alone. At this point though I really fear the answer is already clear.

It is. The people that they let go, looking at the job titles in the first post, are not the people you let go if the game is going to continue. QA Lead in particular - that's an essential position.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my 6.5 years in STT, the game has been declared dying/dead so many times that I’ve lost count. These layoffs are not a good sign, but I still need 693 citations to FF my entire 5* roster and I simply refuse to believe anything bad will happen before then. 🫣🤞

This is at least the third round of layoffs (with probably hires in between) since the game has been in existence. I wouldn't stick a fork in it yet.
  • Options
    In my 6.5 years in STT, the game has been declared dying/dead so many times that I’ve lost count. These layoffs are not a good sign, but I still need 693 citations to FF my entire 5* roster and I simply refuse to believe anything bad will happen before then. 🫣🤞

This is at least the third round of layoffs (with probably hires in between) since the game has been in existence. I wouldn't stick a fork in it yet.

The lack of communication hardly supports your stance.

Ben keeps tabs on the chats, discords and forums. Hes fully aware of what we know and hes not chiming in saying “hey dont panic timelines will continue some way somehow”.

They put the precaps in to try and make a fast buck on the way out.

If you see the 22,000 dilithium for 24.99 (for the 4th time in 6 months) you know its completely over.
  • Options
    bennybenny ✭✭✭
    I would assume that not all linkedin profiles were updated yet. And it looks like the artist was laid off too. Then you have TP clearly stating that they are moving away from all this. It looks dire.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like this might explain the devastating news we all got a few weeks ago. The news that looked like a two weeks notice was not involved........
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    imdwalrus wrote: »
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I'm not assuming the worst just yet, but of course my wallet just sealed shut until I've been reassured.

Same, and I suspect we are not alone. At this point though I really fear the answer is already clear.

It is. The people that they let go, looking at the job titles in the first post, are not the people you let go if the game is going to continue. QA Lead in particular - that's an essential position.

They had a QA Lead?!?!?

And still so much slipped through the cracks?!?!?
  • Options

Ben keeps tabs on the chats, discords and forums. Hes fully aware of what we know and hes not chiming in saying “hey dont panic timelines will continue some way somehow”.

If you see the 22,000 dilithium for 24.99 (for the 4th time in 6 months) you know its completely over.

Somebody saying "We aren't going anywhere" is not always a guarantee they aren't going anywhere.....

• Options

Somebody saying "We aren't going anywhere" is not always a guarantee they aren't going anywhere.....

I agree. But, even with best case thoughts, i would assume that any prospective buyer wouldnt want the customer base (cash cow) losing faith in the game.

We shall see. But its probably over.
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scraps all his plans for a regular Timelines Talks tonight
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the resurgence of Trek with the number of new shows in the last 5 years, I think the game will continue for the foreseeable future with a decent possibility of being sold to a new entity rather than shutting down.

That hasn’t really translated to players of Trek games, unfortunately. The Prodigy game was DOA and the Lower Decks mobile game has barely 100-odd active players. Online is steady but hardly spectacular. Even in the late ‘90s Trek games didn’t do that well.

It’s a tough sell for another company.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mid-week event released yet for next week....... :'(
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Bummer. I’ve been playing since 2017…I’m not as active as I once was going for the gold every week but I still let it rip when it’s a gold I really want like Kira a couple weeks ago.

I hope the game goes on, it would be weird without it, and I feel bad for all those impacted by the layoffs.
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those so inclined, email your inquiries - comments here:

hello@tiltingpoint.com

Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Given the resurgence of Trek with the number of new shows in the last 5 years, I think the game will continue for the foreseeable future with a decent possibility of being sold to a new entity rather than shutting down.

That hasn’t really translated to players of Trek games, unfortunately. The Prodigy game was DOA and the Lower Decks mobile game has barely 100-odd active players. Online is steady but hardly spectacular. Even in the late ‘90s Trek games didn’t do that well.

Wow! That's amazing, considering that every Trekker but me loves Lower Decks. :D

Lower Decks EWWWW...
    ÷Dr. Claire Finn - Admiral of the Battleship Yamato & Founder of both the Battleship Yamato & ISS Yamato
  • Options
    Calhoun wrote: »

Wow! That's amazing, considering that every Trekker but me loves Lower Decks. :D

Lower Decks EWWWW...

Half {at least} of the problem is likely "This game is not compatible with your {brand new} device"......

• Options
    Damage controle is almost too late by now, but it would still be nice to hear something from the horses own mouth, otherwise the things we see and rumours alone will definetely kill off STT
  • Options
    @Captain Idol , I think you should still hold your regularly scheduled Timelines Talks. It's the one thing that's kept me interested in the game this far, and I would love to hear what you, Auto, Stars, and everyone else is feeling on this topic.

• Options
    NoblemanDK wrote: »
    Damage controle is almost too late by now, but it would still be nice to hear something from the horses own mouth, otherwise the things we see and rumours alone will definetely kill off STT

Im sure this is a scenario much like bangate, where ben will work with tilting point legal staff to carefully craft an announcement to hopefully shield them from any fallout.

Too bad about all the lies, broken commitments, ignorance and obliviousness of wrg. This game could have easily gone another 7 years with the right leadership.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    NoblemanDK wrote: »

Im sure this is a scenario much like bangate, where ben will work with tilting point legal staff to carefully craft an announcement to hopefully shield them from any fallout.

Too bad about all the lies, broken commitments, ignorance and obliviousness of wrg. This game could have easily gone another 7 years with the right leadership.

Always an optimist
    1d7cg7jxxoeb.jpeg