Home The Bridge
Options

WRG layoffs - is Ben all alone now?

Comments

• Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    And here's the lead artist and he references the lead writer as well. (Chunzi)

k6l8tnhm5jsy.png
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    I'm sorta surprised that the recent powerful Timelines Originals crew released over the past year isn't like a license to print money drawing in new gamers by thousands. I mean Toga Chekov = Money in the Bank. New crew - if a developer loves Peter Pan - Worf Peter Pan! $$$ plus year-end awards for best crew and artwork of the year.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    NoblemanDK wrote: »
    Damage controle is almost too late by now, but it would still be nice to hear something from the horses own mouth, otherwise the things we see and rumours alone will definetely kill off STT

Im sure this is a scenario much like bangate, where ben will work with tilting point legal staff to carefully craft an announcement to hopefully shield them from any fallout.

Too bad about all the lies, broken commitments, ignorance and obliviousness of wrg. This game could have easily gone another 7 years with the right leadership.

Always an optimist
    1d7cg7jxxoeb.jpeg

Theres a big difference between being an optimist and being a troll.

You are a professional at the latter.
  • Options
    This really does look like the writing is on the wall, doesn't it? :( Or rather, not in the game any more. I will say that the writing is one of the things I love most about the game. A lot of Star Trek games go too far for me towards the action-y end of things but STT at its best captures the more cerebral, weird and/or goofy feels that the canon often includes. The Q continuum stuff in Episode 10 in particular is a favourite of mine.

Not to get too conspiracy-theorist but looking again at the title of the current campaign ("Spaced") makes me wonder if it's a comment on what's been going on behind the scenes. And does Returning Ezri Dax look quite so miserable because she's going to be the last new crew ever to join our rosters?

And thinking about the mega, we know that this was one of the ones we were offered back at last year's players' choice poll, which would normally take place around this point in the year, if I'm not mistaken. If it doesn't appear soon I think I will take that as a definite sign.
  • Options
    This really does look like the writing is on the wall, doesn't it? :( Or rather, not in the game any more. I will say that the writing is one of the things I love most about the game. A lot of Star Trek games go too far for me towards the action-y end of things but STT at its best captures the more cerebral, weird and/or goofy feels that the canon often includes. The Q continuum stuff in Episode 10 in particular is a favourite of mine.

Not to get too conspiracy-theorist but looking again at the title of the current campaign ("Spaced") makes me wonder if it's a comment on what's been going on behind the scenes. And does Returning Ezri Dax look quite so miserable because she's going to be the last new crew ever to join our rosters?

And thinking about the mega, we know that this was one of the ones we were offered back at last year's players' choice poll, which would normally take place around this point in the year, if I'm not mistaken. If it doesn't appear soon I think I will take that as a definite sign.

Sadly, yes. It looks pretty conclusive that its over. Most of the staff is gone, and no announcement of a sale or new ownership.

Usually when you purge staff its AFTER a takeover, not before.
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Captain Idol , I think you should still hold your regularly scheduled Timelines Talks. It's the one thing that's kept me interested in the game this far, and I would love to hear what you, Auto, Stars, and everyone else is feeling on this topic.

Oh I'll never stop! Just have to change from our regular scheduled programming is what I was referring to
  • Options
    Sonja wrote: »

Sadly, yes. It looks pretty conclusive that its over. Most of the staff is gone, and no announcement of a sale or new ownership.

14% were let go-> 60 out of 440, 380 employees are still there. Tilting Point has a portfolio of games (https://www.tiltingpoint.com/games/). We can not exclude the possibility of internal resources reallocation, business realignments. They said that new hires are in place.

For me it does not look like it is over-> 380 employees are still there, so there is hope. Lets wait for an official announcement & be positive.

You could be right, but wrg was kind of a strange one with tp. Wrg only dealt with timelines.

And now they are all gone except, presumably, ben. It seems pretty clear that the studio was shut down and the game will be taken offline.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to start a new thread with some specifics, but I can see how the game can continue with slower release or no new crew. It looks to me like the creative staff have been let go, but the technical side are still in place (Probably because they were a shared asset between the games in the first place).

We will know probably in a few days to weeks what is going to happen. But there is plenty of middle ground. Unless there is a particular deadline (say a license agreement deadline with ViacomCBS) there is no reason for WRG to stop the game as a day to day entity as they have gutted their costs, it will be about leaving the game in a state that it can generate some (lower) revenue.

I am not saying this is going to happen, no one here, no matter their self belief actually knows.
  • Options
    SonjaSonja ✭✭✭

14% were let go-> 60 out of 440, 380 employees are still there. Tilting Point has a portfolio of games (https://www.tiltingpoint.com/games/). We can not exclude the possibility of internal resources reallocation, business realignments. They said that new hires are in place.

For me it does not look like it is over-> 380 employees are still there, so there is hope. Lets wait for an official announcement & be positive.

You could be right, but wrg was kind of a strange one with tp. Wrg only dealt with timelines.

And now they are all gone except, presumably, ben. It seems pretty clear that the studio was shut down and the game will be taken offline.

Are you sure that all those assigned to Startrek Timelines project are gone? We have this info from an Internet article.

There is a difference between x% employees being fired & company X applied for bankruptcy.

Cost-reduction/project can be applied in many ways: resource allocation from other similar projects, hire new cheaper employees etc (About lT sector actual worldwide wave https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2023/01/30/the-real-reasons-for-big-tech-layoffs-at-google-microsoft-meta-and-amazon/?sh=7ed4b0b12b67).

• Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure that all those assigned to Startrek Timelines project are gone? We have this info from an Internet article.

There is a difference between x% employees being fired & company X applied for bankruptcy.

Cost-reduction/project can be applied in many ways: resource allocation from other similar projects, hire new cheaper employees etc (About lT sector actual worldwide wave https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2023/01/30/the-real-reasons-for-big-tech-layoffs-at-google-microsoft-meta-and-amazon/?sh=7ed4b0b12b67).

This is what was posted - Where are the layoffs occurring?

So far, it appears that members of Wicked Realms, the team behind Star Trek Timelines, have been let go, as well as those in the company’s web3 division.
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what was posted - Where are the layoffs occurring?

So far, it appears that members of Wicked Realms, the team behind Star Trek Timelines, have been let go, as well as those in the company’s web3 division.

Unless TP is bringing timelines back "in house" it seems to be gone. All of the WRG employees seem to indicate that their team was all let go.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Unless TP is bringing timelines back "in house" it seems to be gone. All of the WRG employees seem to indicate that their team was all let go.

Also in case of a restructuring that Shan is no longer on board is massive. She was the binding tie between the creators and us. Did the work of many peeps alone. And would have been perfect to guide a potential new team.

• Options
    Jurati_whoaJurati_whoa ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Navarch wrote: »
    j94pcbq7klsm.jpg

Great news!!!

He had to say that. We’re going to need details in order to feel confident in spending money on Timelines.

Yeah. Not believing it.

And coming from someone who dosnt seem to fully understand the game or how ifs played, the bit where they say the game wont look or feel different to the players perspective is hard to believe.

And, this is coming 3 weeks after shan and all other wrg staff was let go, and only after people started talking about if.

Im betting that they are just going to try and automate as much of the process as possible. Whoch means the game will get even more repetitive. Not sure how to find positive when the only possibilities at this point are:

1: tp employees will take on duties responsibilities of laid off employees, with presumably little to no pay increase. Will lead to burn out and staff turnover, resulting in inconsistent and frustrating gaming experience.

2: games new content will be automated to be run by one or two staff. Game will get even more boring and repetivite than it already is. Quality will take a nose dive Leading to decreased player purchases, reduced game revenues and less new content.

3: game will shut down, in contradiction of bens statement.

Ill wait and see what is announced later. But i am girmly in the camp of “i dont trust what wrg says, i trust what wrg does”.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    j94pcbq7klsm.jpg

Great news!!!

He had to say that. We’re going to need details in order to feel confident in spending money on Timelines.

Yeah. Not believing it.

And coming from someone who dosnt seem to fully understand the game or how ifs played, the bit where they say the game wont look or feel different to the players perspective is hard to believe.

And, this is coming 3 weeks after shan and all other wrg staff was let go, and only after people started talking about if.

Im betting that they are just going to try and automate as much of the process as possible. Whoch means the game will get even more repetitive. Not sure how to find positive when the only possibilities at this point are:

1: tp employees will take on duties responsibilities of laid off employees, with presumably little to no pay increase. Will lead to burn out and staff turnover, resulting in inconsistent and frustrating gaming experience.

2: games new content will be automated to be run by one or two staff. Game will get even more boring and repetivite than it already is. Quality will take a nose dive Leading to decreased player purchases, reduced game revenues and less new content.

Ill wait and see what is announced later. But i am girmly in the camp of “i dont trust what wrg says, i trust what wrg does”.

There's an easy answer for you. Uninstall the app, close this tab and get on with your life. You can then choose to believe whatever you want and you'll never have any evidence of your ignorance to face.

In this case, I agree with jurati_whoa. TP/WRG may have a plan to go forward, but if a large enough chunk of the playerbase doesn’t feel comfortable spending, it’s game over anyways.

The fact that TP/WRG failed to give us a reason for confidence for 3 weeks does not inspire confidence in their future ability to do so.

I'll withhold major judgement until I see the official statement/update and see when if we get a new crew/event etc post mega and if 9.2 ever arrives.
  • Options
    SonjaSonja ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    j94pcbq7klsm.jpg

Great news!!!

Yeah. Not believing it.

There's an easy answer for you. Uninstall the app, close this tab and get on with your life. You can then choose to believe whatever you want and you'll never have any evidence of your ignorance to face.

In this case, I agree with jurati_whoa. TP/WRG may have a plan to go forward, but if a large enough chunk of the playerbase doesn’t feel comfortable spending, it’s game over anyways.

The fact that TP/WRG failed to give us a reason for confidence for 3 weeks does not inspire confidence in their future ability to do so.

How many companies review and justify their personnel decisions with their customers? There are many potential reasons for the layoffs that have nothing to do with the game itself.

Over the past year there have been many complaints from players about artwork, game direction, new features, bugs, quality control, etc... and for all we know, the people let go could have been responsible for a lot of our collective angst and frustration with the game.

Seems like a lot of 'the sky is falling' talk to me.

How many companies lease art that can only be used in a platform that can go away at anytime, leaving you with nothing but the memories?

I’m not saying WRG is required in any sense to be transparent with us. I’m saying that for me to feel confident spending any additional money, I need to feel confident that the art that I buy will last long enough for me to enjoy it. Until I do so, I will play, but spend nothing.

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    j94pcbq7klsm.jpg

Great news!!!

First time? He's basically saying the same kind of stuff Diznee/PlayDumb said when people figured out about MAA.

That line pretty much implying we would have just totally been blindsided if word had not been gotten out by the players themselves may be the most telling......

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    j94pcbq7klsm.jpg

Great news!!!

Yeah. Not believing it.

Quoted so cannot be "adjusted" when does not age well.

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?