Home The Bridge
Options

Mirror Mariner as gauntlet exclusive is setting some terrible precidents

12346»

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    No Mariner yet, but I just picked up Black. So now I have two crew slots wasted with 1/5 random-drop voyage-exclusive crew, which will likely take years to immortalize. Yay

I'm torn. With the drop rate, wait for natural FF? Or Cite them and move on, if I hit a copy?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options
    No Mariner yet, but I just picked up Black. So now I have two crew slots wasted with 1/5 random-drop voyage-exclusive crew, which will likely take years to immortalize. Yay

Just use cites. 🤗

Golf Mike Tango Alpha!
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the crew will help you immediately, cite it up. I have crew space, I plan to wait. It won't happen quickly, but theoretically it will happen.
  • Options
    If the crew will help you immediately, cite it up. I have crew space, I plan to wait. It won't happen quickly, but theoretically it will happen.

That is if you expect the game to be around for say another 50 years. And you playing it hard all that time.
  • Options

Congrats on your drop! Black's first star is arguably his best. Unless of course, you don't play Gauntlet!
  • Options

What a shame 😉
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭

Just use cites. 🤗

Ugh, I know, but there’s something about using cites for crew that will eventually come naturally, just like gauntlet crew. As was mentioned, his primary function only requires a single copy, so at least he’s more bearable than voyage-Chakotay.
  • Options
    -:- AZ689-:- AZ689 ✭✭✭
    Just use cites. 🤗

You mean those overprized things, where you have to dump hundrets of crew to get enough honor to buy 1 cite?
  • Options
    Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    Gauntlet crew are never worth citing as you only need 1 copy. Just let them immortalize naturally
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gauntlet crew are never worth citing as you only need 1 copy. Just let them immortalize naturally

Mirror Mariner may well be the exception here as she is an excellent voyage crew. By the time you wait for her to drop naturally, her usefulness may well be at an end.
  • Options
    BeefywillowBeefywillow ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Navarch wrote: »

Mirror Mariner may well be the exception here as she is an excellent voyage crew. By the time you wait for her to drop naturally, her usefulness may well be at an end.

Did either of you do some math on how likely you are to finish old gauntlet crew?
    Looks to me you didn"t. Oke lets do it anyway, each gauntlet legendary has 50% chance of being the newest one. So 50% is an old one but there are now allready 8 old crew so the chance to get any 1 is 50% / 8 so 6.25 %. Now this doesn"t matter as long as you have none of them since then any 1 will be fine. But if you allready have say 2 old ones fully fused then 13% of the legendaries will be useles. (except for honor) The further along you get the worse the situation becomes. And that asumes no new gauntlet crew. This asumption however is extremely unlikely as the newest edition gauntlet crew got there less then 4 months after the last one. So in a few months your chance to get any 1 specific old crew will drop to 5.56 % then a few months after that to 5% and so on. The chance of you completing all gauntlrt crew just from the gaunlet, are so miniscule as to be basicly zero. (calculating that is not quite that easy the simplest way to do so is by simulation.)
  • Options

Mariner is possibly the exception, since she is actually Voyage Crew. But, I am still not sure if I will be Citing someone that drops in Gauntlets. I am one BurnAngel from the second copy being Immo and several of the others are Immortalized the first time or close. So, can't decide yet if I am going to want to Cite her if she drops.
  • Options
    Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭

But Mariner is voyage crew that is available through gauntlet.

I am talking specifically about the crew used in gauntlet - included exclusive & non like Shrax
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    A1llas wrote: »

Did either of you do some math on how likely you are to finish old gauntlet crew?
    Looks to me you didn"t. Oke lets do it anyway, each gauntlet legendary has 50% chance of being the newest one. So 50% is an old one but there are now allready 8 old crew so the chance to get any 1 is 50% / 8 so 6.25 %. Now this doesn"t matter as long as you have none of them since then any 1 will be fine. But if you allready have say 2 old ones fully fused then 13% of the legendaries will be useles. (except for honor) The further along you get the worse the situation becomes. And that asumes no new gauntlet crew. This asumption however is extremely unlikely as the newest edition gauntlet crew got there less then 4 months after the last one. So in a few months your chance to get any 1 specific old crew will drop to 5.56 % then a few months after that to 5% and so on. The chance of you completing all gauntlrt crew just from the gaunlet, are so miniscule as to be basicly zero. (calculating that is not quite that easy the simplest way to do so is by simulation.)

I didn’t need to. In this case the math is largely irrelevant to my thinking.

For most old gauntlet crew, finishing them provides at best a marginal benefit (especially if you have gotten the first 6 tiers of the gauntlet collection finished). My rationale is that cites are better used on most other crew than gauntlet crew (Mirror Mariner being the exception). None of these crew have huge voyage potential, few have huge event value, and few are must haves for collections (unless you’re a relatively new player). Aside from Mirror Mariner, the other potential exception is Tribble Koloth and Kang due to the difficulty in completing the Tribbled collection.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    A1llas wrote: »

I didn’t need to. In this case the math is largely irrelevant to my thinking.

For most old gauntlet crew, finishing them provides at best a marginal benefit (especially if you have gotten the first 6 tiers of the gauntlet collection finished). My rationale is that cites are better used on most other crew than gauntlet crew (Mirror Mariner being the exception). None of these crew have huge voyage potential, few have huge event value, and few are must haves for collections (unless you’re a relatively new player). Aside from Mirror Mariner, the other potential exception is Tribble Koloth and Kang due to the difficulty in completing the Tribbled collection.

Some old gauntlet crew used to have good voyage value. Red Angel and Locutus still make the cut sometimes. Having high proficiency crew on your voyage gives you greater potential voyage lengths.

Some also have solid collection value. Archer, Red Angel, Caretaker, Locutus and TKK are top 100. Yeah you could replace them but it’s better to concentrate on crew that excel in multiple game areas.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    A mistake has been made and not corrected Admiral Black should've been listed in Gauntlet as he's a Beast. Mirror Mariner should've been the Voyage 5*.

Whoever did the email or data entry swapped them by mistake and no correction has been made.

The game should just admit the characters are in the opposite event than originally planned.

Why offer a unique 5* in Gauntlet who is so incredibly weak for that event, but at 5/5* is a good choice for Voyages.

Admiral Black at 1/5* is hopeless for Voyages, but a great option for Gauntlet
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is another instance of how simple communication could have changed things. All we needed was a heads up: "We're going to add new, crisscrossed 5* rewards to the Gauntlet and Voyage loot tables to promote engagement in both aspects of the game." Then the conversation becomes whether we hate the Gauntlet more than we want someone strong for Voyages and whether Admiral Black would be useful enough in the Gauntlet to offset that should he drop for us in Voyages. Instead, we've spent weeks going around in circles about whether the cross-pollination was a screw-up and the official "Ha ha, I meant to do that" line is just a feeble coverup. (For what it's worth, I hate the Gauntlet more than I want someone strong for Voyages and Admiral Black is not useful enough to offset that.)