Mirror Mariner as gauntlet exclusive is setting some terrible precidents

Comments

• Options
    OH WOW I JUST GOT MORE TRAINERS, THIS IS EXCELLENT

Aren't you on a break from the game? :wink:
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Hey everyone, just wanted to give you a quick update on this. We didn't mix anything up - the information is correct. We intentionally made the voyage crew strong in Gauntlet and vice versa to promote more feature to feature flow.
    As for communication, we always share the information as soon as we receive it. So before directing any negativity towards the team or employees, let's try to be respectful and considerate. Thanks.

Respectfully (and with consideration), I think it would be prudent for the team that flips the switch to make things go live not flip that switch until they've communicated what they're about to do. Ideally, until it's been communicated to us but at minimum to whoever is supposed to communicate with us.

Travis, are you really asking for better communication? Have the past 7 years not disabused you of that notion?

<waits for the hammer>

I’m in the same boat as Travis. There have been times where they’ve met my expectations. Then there’s been most of 2023, which ranks way up with the DB era as a period where the developers actively avoided players.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Have they ever pulled a character out of the Gauntlet before and not introduce it in another part of the game? Was Q originally in the gauntlet and then became available in packs? Similar question does an Honor Hall only character remain there indefinitely until a player decides to purchase it or is it there only for the length of the sale?
  • Options
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    @ Bylo Band:

I'm absolutely with you, but let me tell you something: don't waste your time on gauntlets, it's already tedious enough. I did the absolute minimum, without any real planning, I adamantly kept all my merits, didn't do any refreshes, saving my merit drops even atop them. I got only 2-3 lower crates per final reckoning, but nevertheless I got one Archer, and after it I stopped and cited him up.

That same strategy got me several copies of Guinan in the dark ages long gone. But I must say, I didn't get any other legendary, but those didn't bother me at all, hence not playing Gauntlet.

Long story short: don't make yourself mad. When the time comes, it comes.

So you got incredibly lucky, good for you, but relying on that much luck is no way to get a specific crew you really want. I for one am not that lucky.
  • Options
    OK, wow, it really is all RNG. Finished 13th in the first available gauntlet since Mariner was introduced, and in the very first of the seven rewards ...

crdbnq82rsqi.png

Think I'll just wait for the next honor sale and cite her up then.
  • Options
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    14 hours later and I'm still just as angry as I was when I first read this announcement. To tell the truth I am livid, enraged, irate, seething, etc...this feeling is not going away and I honestly wish there was something I could do about this. I am so mad I want to march down to the office and demand an explanation.

You JUST introduced the new Archer in JANUARY! This was not some random throwaway character like Armus or Tribbled Koloth and Korax this was THE main character from a show with a fair amount of dedicated fans. This is Jonathon freaking Archer, people want that card for non-game reasons, and this decision puts that card out of reach for everyone who did not get struck by lightning over the last three months.

From what I've been able to deduce it sounds like a handful of people got supremely lucky and won multiple copies of Archer but the vast majority of people never got one, and now we never will. Yes, yes, I know, older cards are technically still possible to get but let's be real, that pool of past Gauntlet cards is now 7 deep and in my unsuccessful Gauntlet rampage the last 3 months I have hit exactly ONE gold card from the literal HUNDREDS victory crates I have opened, a lone copy of Armus.

During the last three months I made it my singular mission in this game to win a copy of Archer. I love Jonathon Archer so much I willingly subjected myself to something I actively hate, Gauntlet, and I only know one way to play Gauntlet: full speed. I've left a mass of carnage in my wake as I've carved a swath through every leaderboard since the end of January.

Serious question to WRG people, do you have ANY idea how hard it is to win a Gauntlet? And you do have ANY idea how hard it is to win 30+ Gauntlets in three months? This is why I hate Gauntlet, there has never been an allegedly fun activity that requires so much planning, preparation, commitment, and effort for so little return. I usually don't play Gauntlet at all because it is just the worst experience but you made me do it because that was the only way to get this Archer and after three months of having EVERY victory crate come up empty other than the aforementioned Armus now you just up and decide change the rules of the game and remove Archer after three months?

How dare you?! In my opinion the odds of those crates are broken, or if not they are woefully inadequate. People need to actually be able to win these cards once in a while, or you need to let us just buy them.

In my opinion, this needs to be addressed somehow, Make First Flight Archer available for everyone so all of us who want a copy but were swindled by your miserly RNG can get one. And fix your RNG for those crates/boxes, if people can do this for months, put in serious effort, and never win anything, your model is broken.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that, I can understand how frustrating it is to put in so much effort and not get the reward you were hoping for. I'll pass your feedback along to the team, and hopefully we can figure out a way to bring Archer back in the future. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
  • Options
    SimsSims ✭✭✭
    I play the gauntlet every day and in over 3 years have never had a Locutus drop (got him after 20k rounds), only got my first Armus a couple of months back and still don't have the tribble guys so don't hold out much hope of my luck suddenly changing. What does annoy me is when we have the oe event that requires gauntlet wins and I'm confronted by a row of tribble guys with a huge bonus.
    Such is life. :(
  • Options
    SimsSims ✭✭✭
    I guess I should threaten to quit just to give Colli another chance to post! :)
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really need to swap mirror mariner for admirol black. I mean the gauntlet exclusive mariner isn't a gauntlet card. Change her and black around. Black is the real gauntlet king or should I say admirol. They need to start checking there work before they let it out. This is a game but most of us are hear because we love trek. We are fans so please get things right wrg

I hate to say this, but TP tends to get things wrong about as often as they get things right. For example, traits and skills tend to be all sorts of messed up.
  • Options
    Agree with OP . This seems a bad decision ...
  • Options
    Gotta catch em all!
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, just wanted to give you a quick update on this. We didn't mix anything up - the information is correct. We intentionally made the voyage crew strong in Gauntlet and vice versa to promote more feature to feature flow.
    As for communication, we always share the information as soon as we receive it. So before directing any negativity towards the team or employees, let's try to be respectful and considerate. Thanks.

Respectfully (and with consideration), I think it would be prudent for the team that flips the switch to make things go live not flip that switch until they've communicated what they're about to do. Ideally, until it's been communicated to us but at minimum to whoever is supposed to communicate with us.

Travis, are you really asking for better communication? Have the past 7 years not disabused you of that notion?

<waits for the hammer>

Nobody ever believes me when I say it, but I'm an optimist! How else could I be a Reds fan all these years?
  • Options
    AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    PROPOSAL: Put First Flight Archer in the Honor Hall at a 50% discount.

That won't do anything to address the terrible drop rates from Gauntlet crates/boxes but it would at the very least be a positive step in the right direction toward fixing the burn we all got from the rug being pulled out from under Archer so forcefully.
    Then let us solve the terrible Gauntlet drop rates issue. As several times mentioned before, people were proposing a special Gauntlet crew behold. At least this eases the current problems a bit.

But the real problem is: winning the Gauntlet is compared to winning the other ingame features the least satisfying winning situation of all. Bylo's post made it really obvious. The Gauntlet feature is still a good addition to Timelines, but all other events give you a guaranteed legendary for good rankings. The Gauntlet doesn't give this to you. It's only guaranteed, that you get a certain sort of crates and the amount of these. That's it. And then RNG steps up, slaps into your face, strucks you down with a lightning, and RNG's dog finally pees over you while you're lying on the road to heaven.

Live Win. Die. Repeat. Worse than watching a Tom Cruise movie.

If we don't get a Gauntlet behold, when a legendary is about to show up, at least give us Gauntlet crew shards based on rankings for building a Gauntlet crewman, similar to building ships with schematics. This would at least mean, that winnings and the Gauntlet rankings in general actually mean something. Mean something more than winning is plain pain.