Home The Bridge

What Happens When DB Runs Out Of Characters

Ace BoogieAce Boogie ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in The Bridge
There will come a time when there are no more new characters to release. We are at the 2 year mark with 475 in the vault. So let’s just say 200/year. That is clearly not sustainable in the long run and I feel it’s not sustainable in the short run either.

I’ve watched almost every episode from every series and while there may be some cards that I still want most have already been released.

The rapid release of characters benefits them financially. It may just be smart business to blow through their “resources” and then get out. So the next step is putting out non cannon or obscure cards?

I would propose releasing only one new card per event and slowing down the non event card offers. It would reduce revenue, but would most likely keep the game relevant longer. Another possible workout around for this mismanagement would be to release legendary versions of the common and uncommon crew we all love so much.

Hopefully there will be some changes before the game is deluded by augment rikers. What’s next non-cannon comic versions of Janeway! ;)

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many characters still not done plus we have Stat Trek Discovery to give us more. DB can also put in events the crew that have only been in packs like Commander Burnham, Ripper, Satan's Robot etc. DB can do different versions of crew based on different episodes, like Grand Nagus Quark. And DB can always do more reruns.
    Let’s fly!
  • I disagree, the time won t come when they run out of characters....still thousends and thousends left(including like 50 variants of Janeway and Riker).
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • guest_7456guest_7456 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    i mean, the last 5 events have all had non-canon characters.... they can just make things up when they run out of real characters.

also, there's discovery which is coming out with more content.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are variant possibilitys of main crew and supporting cast galore left.

Hell even characters with decent representation like Kirk, Sisko and Dax still have a lotta mileage left before they are out.

Now that will make faction events fun at some point.. .like now when Dax is bonus and I gotta decide how many I keep on hand lol
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget the hundred or so Janeway versions everyone keeps suggesting.
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lt. Sisko at the beach
    Lt. Commander Sisko at Utopia yards
    Captain Sisko In white diplomatic uniform (non Canon)
    Paradise Lost Sisko
    Dessert Sisko
    Admiral Sisko (non Canon)
    Mental Ward Sisko
    In the wormhole Sisko
    Singing A duet Sisko
    Klingon Sisko
    Wardrobe Error Sisko (first episode with Fc uniforms )
    Changling Sisko
    Chef Sisko
    delusional Bashirs Doctor Sisko
    (When he was zapped by the lasepian)

We've still got a long way to go..

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ace Boogie wrote: »
    There will come a time when there are no more new characters to release. We are at the 2 year mark with 475 in the vault. So let’s just say 200/year. That is clearly not sustainable in the long run and I feel it’s not sustainable in the short run either.

I’ve watched almost every episode from every series and while there may be some cards that I still want most have already been released.

The rapid release of characters benefits them financially. It may just be smart business to blow through their “resources” and then get out. So the next step is putting out non cannon or obscure cards?

I would propose releasing only one new card per event and slowing down the non event card offers. It would reduce revenue, but would most likely keep the game relevant longer. Another possible workout around for this mismanagement would be to release legendary versions of the common and uncommon crew we all love so much.

Hopefully there will be some changes before the game is deluded by augment rikers. What’s next non-cannon comic versions of Janeway! ;)

I have thought this too. It has made me wonder why they release characters people would want in packs only like Armed Georgiou, Dr. Culber, Defensive Phlox....They should save those characters for events so the new event crew machine can keep turning

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we also hope to one day have 100 different Satos?

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

I have thought this too. It has made me wonder why they release characters people would want in packs only like Armed Georgiou, Dr. Culber, Defensive Phlox....They should save those characters for events so the new event crew machine can keep turning

Umm so people will spend money!

Well as long as we get Whiny **tsk tsk** Sato along with I don't like Space Travel Sato, and I really dont wanna be here Sato.....
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Well as long as we get Whiny *hugs* Sato along with I don't like Space Travel Sato, and I really dont wanna be here Sato.....

gagai6m178vu.jpeg

I want Decon Sato along with Decon T’Pol... and a Decon Porthos too !!! Meh to Decon Archer.

You ever see those commercials they used to do for Enterprise with "Wherever you will go" (the Calling) and lots of stomachs with decon gel?

Well as long as we get Whiny *hugs* Sato along with I don't like Space Travel Sato, and I really dont wanna be here Sato.....

gagai6m178vu.jpeg

I want Decon Sato along with Decon T’Pol... and a Decon Porthos too !!! Meh to Decon Archer.

I want all the female Crew to get Decon Alts.....

JyjQKwp.gif
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decon Kira..
    Not to be out done by...
    Decon Intendant :D
    Decon Kira..
    Not to be out done by...
    Decon Intendant :D

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!

• DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dessert Sisko

With mint frosting.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

gagai6m178vu.jpeg

You ever see those commercials they used to do for Enterprise with "Wherever you will go" (the Calling) and lots of stomachs with decon gel?

Actually... no. Between post grad, traveling and then working overseas, I missed DS9, VOY, and ENT and pretty much most of American pop culture for 20 years... but I binge watched all the boxed DVD sets later.

I checked that song out (because you brought it up) and as much as I’m not a fan of vocals on any ST theme song (I’m glad DIS is back to old school orchestra and paying homage to TOS)... I personally think that would have been even worse for the intro than the one they ended up using.
  • The game ends. There is nothing to do in this game except level crew, so if DB stops releasing new crew, what would you do? Play PvP ship battles? Wait for new Episodes/Distress Calls?
    Those are your only options because every other mechanic in the game is to level crew.

The reality will be a law of diminishing returns for existing players unless they power creep (which only buys so much more extra time).
    At some point, even the most diehard of fans/players will not care about Sisko #29 from when he was wearing different pants, no matter his stats.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Umm so people will spend money!

People spend money on events too. I didn’t want to participate in the Tilly event but I wanted a Tilly so I dropped $50 to get her. That’s way more than I’d spend on packs

WOLF 359 wrote: »
    The game ends. There is nothing to do in this game except level crew, so if DB stops releasing new crew, what would you do? Play PvP ship battles? Wait for new Episodes/Distress Calls?
    Those are your only options because every other mechanic in the game is to level crew.

The reality will be a law of diminishing returns for existing players unless they power creep (which only buys so much more extra time).
    At some point, even the most diehard of fans/players will not care about Sisko #29 from when he was wearing different pants, no matter his stats.

But, the pocket was torn!!!!!!!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game ends. There is nothing to do in this game except level crew, so if DB stops releasing new crew, what would you do? Play PvP ship battles? Wait for new Episodes/Distress Calls?

Wrong. Only Enterprise Star Trek had pockets. The technology was later lost.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    13lguzrhebmw.jpeg

Sisko #29 was obviously wearing pants with pockets, because he was in 2024, being Gabriel Bell.

• WOLF 359 wrote: »

Sisko #29 was obviously wearing pants with pockets, because he was in 2024, being Gabriel Bell.

Nah. He's from an alternate timeline where the technology to make pockets wasn't lost.
  • This game will shut down long before that happens. Never mind interesting, one off characters like Lokai and Bele from TOS that we still don't have, there's tons of variations of main cast we don't have.

We have Warship Yar. How about Warship Picard? Warship Data? Warship Riker? Warship Wesley? What about Captain Garrett?

Take an episode like Parallels or Genesis. We have Proto Worf, Lt Wesley, Doctor Ogawa.. How about Cave Man Riker? Cave Woman Ogawa? Hobo Riker? Captain Riker? Blue-eyed Data? Spider Barclay? Amphibious Troi?

That's a few events worth of crew from 4 episodes. There's hundreds more, and that's not getting into unnamed crew like "Cardassian Helmsman" or "Ferengi Helmsman"

They'll never run out of crew, what's more likely to happen is people will get sick of the prices, limits on crew slots, constant "events" (it's not an event, it's 5 days of every single week. The "Event" is Tuesdays and Wednesdays when we can do something else), etc etc. And quit.
  • Lt. Sisko at the beach
    Lt. Commander Sisko at Utopia yards
    Captain Sisko In white diplomatic uniform (non Canon)
    Paradise Lost Sisko
    Dessert Sisko
    Admiral Sisko (non Canon)
    Mental Ward Sisko
    In the wormhole Sisko
    Singing A duet Sisko
    Klingon Sisko
    Wardrobe Error Sisko (first episode with Fc uniforms )
    Changling Sisko
    Chef Sisko
    delusional Bashirs Doctor Sisko
    (When he was zapped by the lasepian)

We've still got a long way to go..

Lightship Sisko - ENG primary with the explorer trait
    Boxing Sisko - from Q-Less
    Toasting Sisko - from the incredible "In the Pale Moonlight"
    Saratoga Sisko - in the starship TNG-style uniform
    Commander Sisko - three seasons as a commander, folks!
  • Even if we confined DB to cannon crew (which, they aren't), we'd have the following to draw from:
    - 79 TOS episodes
    - 22 TAS episodes
    - 178 TNG episodes
    - 176 DS9 episodes
    - 172 VOY episodes
    - 98 ENT episodes
    - 15+ DIS episodes
    That's a total of 740 episodes, most of which had one or more unique guest stars, and excludes all movies and variants of main crew.
    Give me two days, and I could give you a list of two years worth of new crew.
  • Even if we confined DB to cannon crew (which, they aren't), we'd have the following to draw from:
    - 79 TOS episodes
    - 22 TAS episodes
    - 178 TNG episodes
    - 176 DS9 episodes
    - 172 VOY episodes
    - 98 ENT episodes
    - 15+ DIS episodes
    That's a total of 740 episodes, most of which had one or more unique guest stars, and excludes all movies and variants of main crew.
    Give me two days, and I could give you a list of two years worth of new crew.

I would love to see that!

I think that DB will not run out of charcters. DIS will have more episodes, with new characters. Whatever Show that follows DIS would have characters and episodes. Heck, maybe DB will eventually gain the rights to the Kelvin Timeline.

There is also a bunch of non-canon characters from the numerous comics and book covers. They are always making more comics and books. DB could also make up new characters. The possibilities are almost endless.
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan