Home The Bridge

Do you name your voyage ships?

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always name my Krayton "D'Kora Crayon"

Now I'm reminded I have relatives who live in Decorah, Iowa, so that would be another option I could use for that ship... if only they worked in a shipping facility there, then I could name it Decorah Cratin'…

y1kwZW5.gif

I just clear the default & use a keyboard shortcut...

This is my method for using custom ship names — I tend to reuse the same ones for the same ships, so I have created 3-letter shortcuts for them, and have saved them to my Google keyboard personal dictionary. Otherwise, I'd have given up on using them because of the extra typing — and the fact that nobody else but me would ever see them... until now, that is. ;)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • I name my ship 90% of the time, usually based on something that I am doing at the time. It's fun because seeing the name reminds me of that thing.

So for example, my current ship is called Commonwealth because I was watching The Crown.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Krayton is Kray Kray
    Prakesh is Padme Pakesh (anyone get THAT reference?)
  • edited January 2018
    When voyages were new, I called my ship the GSS Suicidal Insanity in tribute to the late, great Douglas Adams.

However DB added a filter which blocked that option, so I now pay homage to the late, great Iain M Banks with the GCU Prosthetic Conscience and similar
    Officer - Second Star to the Right
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
    Fleet for Serious Gamers/Trekkers

Officer - VIP 0 Heroes (SkinterTailor)
    Officer - VIP 0 Champions (SkintestTailor)
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always name my ships, drawing on whatever is on my mind at the time. I'll use the prefix from the ship I'm using. I've sent out a lot of I.S.S. Nausea and H.M.S. Depression. Over the weekend, as I've been making way back through The Sopranos, I've sent out some I.S.S. Soprano and I.S.S. Pasta. My Borg Scout Ship names have been things like One of More Than One.
  • Weeping Somnambulist, and occasionally the Rocinante.

Hmmm....is it considered cheating on the Star Trek multiverse to be a fan of the Expanse?? Funny thing is, I'm literally watching it on Amazon Prime in the background as we speak....guess as long as its SciFi its not cheating...
  • For the mega event my ship was the I.S.S. Meatgazer. Nowadays i fly around in the Meatwad
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto wrote: »
    always default ... the time it takes to type something else in has no return on investment ... if the thing would actually REMEMBER the name you picked ... from last time .. and use it as the default next time ...
    then I might consider setting my own voyage name .. O.o

Same.

I wish it would remember.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper wrote: »
    Hmmm....is it considered cheating on the Star Trek multiverse to be a fan of the Expanse??

There's no inconsistency, Commodore Paris just likes early space colonisation era political thriller holoprograms.
  • I used to then it got boring having to type it in manually all the time. When I was doing it, I used:

H.M.S. Bounty => H.M.S. Brawny (paper towel joke)

Borg Cube => Q*Borg (Dilbert joke)

D'Kora Krayton =>Cornucopia of Excellent Goods at Low Prices (can you guess the reference?)

Prakesh => Tuning Fork

I.S.S. Enterprise => S.S. Ess Ess (spot the reference)
  • ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    I would except that the game usually won't let me because it's against Starfleet regulations. So I've given up and just gone with default names.
  • Indefatigable - ISS Enterprise
    Bon Chance - DeKora Krayton
    Green Dream - HMS Bounty
    Perspective on a Tesseract - Borg Cube
    Praxis - Prakesh
    Silver Wind - IKS T'Ong
  • Kaitee wrote: »
    Yep, every time - there's kind of a theme (except for the cube, which I can't think of a candidate for) but they range from serious to silly:

1701: USS Erika Hernandez
    1701-D: USS Rachel Garrett
    T'Ong: IKS Lukara
    Bounty: IKS Azetbur
    Warbird: IRW Caithlin Dar
    Prakesh: Ocett
    Krayton: Dabo Girl
    ISS-1701: ISS Naughty Hoshi
    Cube: Unimatrix Reloaded

Wow, this is impressive, and at the same time way too committed! ;)
  • Do you name them? All the same name? Each ship with a different name? A certain name for a certain ship? Or do you let the game fill in the default name and just leave it be?

I used to name certain names to certain ships, but now all of my ships are "Queen of Bashir" since I own every Bashir in game, a fact I'm proud of, and consider him my in game husband.

So what do you do? I'd love to know.

I did it once at the beginning, but now I'd rather spend my time doing other things. ;)
  • I usually use whatever '80s pop culture reference pops into my head at the time. The Borg cube is always the USS Rubik though.
    Weeping Somnambulist, and occasionally the Rocinante.

Be careful around Cygnus X-1.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    The Pube Cube is a personal favourite.
  • Borg Scout Ship = Rubik's Cube
    H.M.S. Bounty = Thunderbird 2
    Prakesh = Cinnamon Man
    D'Kora Krayton = Nostromo
    I.S.S. Enterprise = Dark Star
  • I always name mine "Joy". Back in the day when you could put in your initials on arcade machines for high scores I thought it would be funny to use "Joy". (I don't know why, I was kid cut me some slack.) Since then, if I ever needed to name something in a video game I've always used "Joy".
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • All of my voyages, across both accounts, are named the 8008. I appreciate my crew keeping visitors away from sensitive areas of the 8008.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    I always name my ship the " Moe STuff", It amuses me :)

I know that's lots of people use to like to name their ships with suggestive and even dirty names back in the good ole days when Voyages was new and chronotons were just a flowing..
  • bkbroiler wrote: »
    I name my ship 90% of the time, usually based on something that I am doing at the time. It's fun because seeing the name reminds me of that thing.

So for example, my current ship is called Commonwealth because I was watching The Crown.

I am about the same. When Voyages first started, I used existing Starfleet ship names, (USS Lexington, USS Excalibur, USS Trieste, etc.), then I tried some amusing euphemisms, Helpless, Rock, Lollipop, Prestige, Hubris, Chips&Salsa, and the like. The stories and far more entertaining this way! :p
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    "USS Wolverine".
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually leave the names alone but when I roll in the Borg Scout Ship I take the time to name it the USS Tesseract...fans of the Cube movies will probably understand.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ship is always named Ziyal, because my avatar is Garak and I figured that is what he'd most likely call his ship.

During the past Mirror month my avatar was Mirror Garak, so I figured in this case he would probably name his ship "Tain", so I chose that.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we could set default names for each class of ship, or at least have it keep the last used name and have it carry over to the next voyage to save time. It's silly having to retype it every time when one person at DB typing a few lines of code once could probably save us all a lot of time and add to the enjoyment of the game...

I've noticed that if I haven't closed the game, and I'm using the same ship, it does save the name.

The problem of course is that I don't always use the same ship, and most likely the game has been closed/restarted/crashed in the last 6-8 hours.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor