Home The Bridge

Medics: Some figures

I like lists. So having noticed that Medics are not only under-represented in the game, there hasn't been a new super-rare since Katra McCoy was introduced in the event Mind and Matter way back in early August last year.
https://stt.wiki/wiki/Mind_and_Matter

Super-rare distribution in the game is very uneven, with Diplomacy and Security making up 50% between them.

Dip / Sec / Cmd / Sci / Eng / Med
27.75 / 22.5 / 16.75 / 12.5 / 11.5 / 9.5

So I did some list, basically comparing the top BASE skill of the top 10 super-rares in each skill. The results were interesting indeed. Image one shows the top 30 (I separated them into 2 purely for screenshot / image creation purposes) and image 2 the lower 30. These are the top 10 of each skill compared, not the top 60 super-rares in the game.

d1i1kervkllz.png

Above you can see that the top 10 security skill (base) are all higher than any medic base.
The top 9 Diplomacy skill crew also fall into the top 30. So, out of the top 30, 19 are security or diplomacy, which is 63%. Two of the top 3 scientists in this group are brand new Discovery crew. Two Medics just scrape in, and there are only 2 Command primary.

ycgbz80zj101.png

Above we can see the rest of the distribution. Command and Medicine are well represented here, and so is Science. Command is shockingly weak, but Medicine takes the cake for taking the last 4 slots, all of them under 700. There are probably a couple of dozen more diplomats and security officers with higher base skills than this bunch of slackers.

Come on DB give us some more Medics. It's not even mildly amusing any more.

Thanks
Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
Check out our website to find out more:
https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/

Comments

• Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    It's worth noting that medical is the least common skill, both in the game requirements and in the Star Trek universe.
  • It's dull. It's like your D&D master saying there's no need for Wizards and I'm only going to give you a few really bad ones.

Bit rubbish if you like wizards. Not much point having the skill in the game if you're going to ignore it.
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    The missions are mostly lacking in medicine, so they would need to change that to make med characters more valuable.
  • MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Could that be because there are less medics than diplomatic or security focused characters in Star Trek?

The version of Quark in this week's event has a medical skill, and various people flagged it up in the thread as being inappropriate for whatever reason. I suppose we need more versions of existing doctors.
  • MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see more versions of the Doctor from VOY - 'Warship Doctor' would be a good start.
  • I'm sure there are more sword-wielding security officers with higher sec ratings than any Medic with multiple degrees and having the ability to save entire planets. Shows a distinct lack of imagination really.

• MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    Sadly, for DB it really is a case of 'here is the pool of characters you have to choose from' verses 'here are how many of them were medical personnel or are likely to have medical skills.' Add to that: "Also, if you add medical skill to a character who is unlikely to have had it then people will fulminate vigorously." I am sad that we don't have more medical crew because it screws me over on voyages, but I'm not all that surprised either.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previous thread on this, for some more viewpoints and suggestions:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/6982
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Some great ideas over there. Good to have the subject raised again.

Nearly 5 months since we've seen a new super-rare Medic. Surely we can squeeze a couple in soon. Just for the folks who started the game since then.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will always have my vote for more MED. I am a MED ho through and through.
    And yes while MED is not used so much in the missions, it is used a ton in voyages and pretty often in shuttles/events. As well as in gauntlet too of course.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Average base skill for the top 10

866 / 889 / 781 / 810 / 806 / 745
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Average base skill for the top 10

So, this is a “Shoot first, ask questions later, then fix things” kind of game.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Average base skill for the top 10

Picard called it "cowboy diplomacy".
  • A few better commanders might help with that. I guess fixing bodies isn't a priority either ;)
  • Burnham isn't impressed with some of our medics too. Who she intends to replace them with is debatable, but maybe Q can give Quark an upgrade and make him the best Medic in the game.

ziryt1nfxysq.jpg
  • That's amazing thanks Lady Gaghgagh.

Those are some terrible stats for Med right there.
  • It is also doubly frustrating when we try so hard to get one of them and DB screws it up for us
  • @Lady Gaghgagh shouldn't one of Scientist Degra's stats be in red (eng if I recall correctly).

It's really interesting to me how DB has given Dr. Culber the best single base stat in the game by a good margin, 11 points. But the next best Medical crew, would be as bad as 8th on the Security list and only reaches the same rank on the Engineering list under another Discovery crew.

By the time you get to Mirror Troi you have fallen off the other lists entirely for the Cowboy Diplomacy stats. The STEM stats could definitely use more crew like a 4* with De Vinci's stat combo.

Which reminds me that without DF Paris and Leonardo Med doesn't have enough 5* crew to fill a top 15.

It's a little pathetic considering 5* command is so stacked that Captain La Forge, who was my best Command crew for the better part of a year, doesn't even make the top 15 and would easily make the Med top 5.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB should make a point of a new super-rare Med every month or two. There are plenty to choose from.

Kes, we only have two, and no super-rares. She had medicine, science and diplomacy.
    McCoy was big in TOS, and the films. Mad McCoy from the city on the edge of forever.
    Guinan. Dip/Med. She has many costumes, but I like 19th C her in Times Arrow.
    The Hirogen that Tsunkatse Seven fights. Sec/Med/Dip.
    CMO Nambue from the USS Shenzhou.
  • The most irritating thing is when they bring out a new version of someone like the Doctor and Medical is not their top skill!
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point you guys are going to have to ask yourselves:
    1 - Are you hurting for MED for the Gauntlet? (Hell no)
    2 - Are you hurting for MED for the Voyages? (Mebbe but see above)
    3 - Are you hurting for MED for Shuttles? (Hell no, when was the last time you needed more than two?)

MED typically only hurts on base stats which is ok, you mostly don't need high base MED. You do need MED with strong proficiencies (Gauntlet) and that helps Voyages as well.

Considering the shows have zero lead characters that have the MED skill and usually only one supporting MED character, I think they're doing OK.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Med crew is greatly underrepresented according to sheer numbers. It does make sense that their numbers are so low because it is the least prominent skill in the game/trekverse. However, there is absolutely no reason that their individual statistics per crew should be so low. Asides from maybe counselors, the med crew in the series and movies are typically much better at what they do, all things considered. Eng would be a close second. Com/sec/dip aways seem to be making mistakes and creating more work for med/eng. And sci is just there, doing there thing like always, just like Disco Stu. I don't mind having less med crew, but at least give them the stats they deserve.
  • XanatharXanathar ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Agreed.

It is also infuriating when great MED are released in packs only. Culber would be a "must have" for almost anyone - he should have been in a event where almost anyone can get him.

More often than not however, we get a relatively weak CMD/SEC/DIP legendaries in events which are hardly worth keeping because we've all got a lot better crew with those skills already.

Before Voyages, I would agree this this didn't matter as much. On average, MED doesn't show up in shuttles as often as other skills (although there are a couple of good missions in the current event that require multiple MED). With Voyages however, all the skills become equally useful. One encounters MED voyages with the same frequency as CMD/DIP/SEC ones and although I can do well with the latter, I tend to struggle with MED Voyages because I simply don't have the crew. Holonovil Doctor, Katra McCoy, Combat Medic Paris, and most recently Mirror Troi are the only decent MED crew that have been available to everyone over the past year or so. That isn't enough, especially compared with the constant influx of CMD/DIP/SEC crew that we are bombarded with every week.
  • cannabinationcannabination ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The point isn't that we need *more* medical crew, it's that we need *better* medical crew. I would wager you could make a similar sheet regarding 5* distribution, though the addition of Mirrors Beverly and Troi has helped. Short of touching up existing crew to make Med more balanced the only thing they can do is release more characters, obviously, but there isn't a huge clamor for 15 average medics; just give us an 850+ purple and another like the two mirror ladies with cmd in place of dip.

It only really becomes an issue with event shuttles as it is rarely used in normal ones, but it can make medical shuttles at high difficulty prohibitive depending on event crew. Obviously you can just open another shuttle and let that one die off, but that seems like a less than optimal outcome from a development perspective.

More like DaVinci would be great for voyages, preferably a med heavy like the melded Doctor/Seven suggested in an older thread.
    Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
    -Lord Wizzlestix I
  • DB have literally no issues pulling out obscure characters like Commander Barak or one hit wonders like T'Mir, or fake crew like Augmented Riker. Even if they haven't read the forums and all the possible different versions of Bashir or the Holographic Doctor they could use they surely have enough material for more than one super rare Med every six months. I mean seriously. It's ridiculous that people are saying there's not enough to work with. There's heaps. And it's all been gathered for them by the fans.
  • Average base skill for the top 10

Actually, it's:

1. Shoot first
    2. "Fix" a feature to the dismay of the players.

DB doesn't ask questions.

• IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean seriously. It's ridiculous that people are saying there's not enough to work with. There's heaps. And it's all been gathered for them by the fans.

There isn't. Period. The number of MED characters is very limited because that's what happened in the show. Yes, you can pad it out by making even more versions relative to other crew but even that's difficult because the shows usually leaned on more Captain and First Officer orientated episodes. The Doctor is probably the only outlier here because his character was somewhat more malleable than almost every other supporting cast.

The best thing DB can do is keep the number of MED shuttle seats limited and make use of more AND/OR seats to give people more flexibility.

The current event has:
    6 AND Seats (2 3 Seat shuttles with 2 AND MED seats). All usable by Tourist Quark.
    1 OR Seat (SCI or MED; not ideal but tolerable)
    2 MED Seats (Scratches head, stares at DB)
    This is an OK lay out, you can certainly get by without using too many MED. You probably only need one good main stat MED. The meanest part is most people won't have Quark during the shuttle part which is problematic.

VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • I don’t think anyone has mentioned it yet, so I thought I would. Tourist Quark is a super rare with Medical as his secondary skill. I’ve no idea about stats or any of that, but I thought I should point out that even if it is secondary, he’s still medical crew. So Tourist Quark is the only super rare med crew we’ve had in a long while, instead of Katra McCoy, lol.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.