Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Honor Of Andoria + Faction Event Change - Edited

Comments

• I hope DB gets a cool pic of Saru on Pahvo to use for Away Team Saru.

It will probably just be Saru holding a phaser rifle.
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • If the issue is server lag there is no reason to reduce the shuttles is a 2 faction event. At most you could open 20 missions, same as single faction.

And I honestly want to know: Is there crazy dil spending in single faction events to get to 4k?

From a jump start perspective I see it going from 20 down to 18. In single faction events I've used jump starts and not seen people shelling out massive dil to make up the missing 10 missions.
  • Pretty sure anyone who gets over double I get is definitely using dil, either for boosts or quick return. I do have a better than 50/50 return rate to stay in the 4000VP range.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    Or maybe people keep complaining about the server issues, and then complain about the apology, and so they finally said "to heck with it all, here's something that'll fix the problem once and for all."

Saru was wrong - there is such a thing as a no win scenario.

I believe Kirk said it more eloquently when he said he didn't believe in the no-win scenario in Wrath of Khan.... not that they didn't exist but he wouldn't acknowledge them.

(Nice to know Kirk is still wiser than Saru...)
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure anyone who gets over double I get is definitely using dil, either for boosts or quick return. I do have a better than 50/50 return rate to stay in the 4000VP range.

You are absolutely correct. It costs crazy dilithium to finish top 10 in a faction event. As I said before, I’m only two days of faction, before s galaxy, I used 48 4* time boosts, 12 5* and every other mission I used 3*. On top of that, I spent 14000 dilithium in early returns. I placed 4th going into galaxy and first place was WAY ahead of me
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Or maybe people keep complaining about the server issues, and then complain about the apology, and so they finally said "to heck with it all, here's something that'll fix the problem once and for all."

I believe Kirk said it more eloquently when he said he didn't believe in the no-win scenario in Wrath of Khan.... not that they didn't exist but he wouldn't acknowledge them.

Shatners Kirk was the best... but (please don’t flame me) I did get a morbid bit of pleasure watching the reboot Kelvinverse Kirk eat an apple while saying “target the Klingon ships, one torpedo each, don’t want to waste ammo”
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭

Shatners Kirk was the best... but (please don’t flame me) I did get a morbid bit of pleasure watching the reboot Kelvinverse Kirk eat an apple while saying “target the Klingon ships, one torpedo each, don’t want to waste ammo”

Coincidentally, one-shotting Klingon ships seems to be par for the course in Star Trek Discovery.

Can’t forget the gunshot finger.

Grant77 wrote: »
    Some others have mentioned this, but I don't understand why people are upset about the shuttle nerf. We are all competing against each other and we are all on an equal playing field.

Exactly what I just said in the list of complaints thread. I’m glad others share this viewpoint

• To avoid server lag the event could start at different times depending on time zone, and rewards could be handed out at the daily reset time.
    Some others have mentioned this, but I don't understand why people are upset about the shuttle nerf. We are all competing against each other and we are all on an equal playing field.

So by that analogy, we're all in the same boat, if that boat is has a load of rotten fish in a locked compartment that is not airtight, should we all say, hey we all got stinky fish, its all good?

Yes, we're in the same boat as far as the end result, but the end result is not the entire game. The journey should mean something. If the journey is less fun, then that is bad.

For me, I'm less frustrated with the loss of the current formula for a jump start as I am the nerfing of strategy. Picking and choosing and evaluating what mission to run is something i actually enjoy. Drastically (by 40%) reducing my potential choices takes a bit of fun out of things for me.

Now that's just me, and I can only control me and how much time and/or funds I spend.

• SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This has all the signs of an epic dumpster fire in the making... lol.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Pallidyne wrote: »

Isn't that more or less what Saru said as well? I'd have to go back and re-watch the episode, but I thought the quote was "We will not accept a no-win scenario."
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally agree, but for the most part, I am competing against myself more than against each other. If I'm really pushing a galaxy event, then I'm competing, but, for me, a faction even is simply a time to hope I can get threshold. (Just got my 4th shiny new shuttle from my saved up dilithium all month.) On a faction event, I am in No competition with anyone else.
    edited February 2018

Isn't that more or less what Saru said as well? I'd have to go back and re-watch the episode, but I thought the quote was "We will not accept a no-win scenario."

It could very well be because of Saru that they create the Kobayashi Maru simulation at Starfleet Academy... to teach those Kelpiens cadets that they have to learn to face a no-win scenario.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

So by that analogy, we're all in the same boat, if that boat is has a load of rotten fish in a locked compartment that is not airtight, should we all say, hey we all got stinky fish, its all good?

Yes, we're in the same boat as far as the end result, but the end result is not the entire game. The journey should mean something. If the journey is less fun, then that is bad.

For me, I'm less frustrated with the loss of the current formula for a jump start as I am the nerfing of strategy. Picking and choosing and evaluating what mission to run is something i actually enjoy. Drastically (by 40%) reducing my potential choices takes a bit of fun out of things for me.

Now that's just me, and I can only control me and how much time and/or funds I spend.

If you look at every change as a bad thing that that's going to be your attitude. I look forward to helping my fleetmates devise a new strategy to suit the changes. It doesn't have to be bad.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Event Name: The Honor of Andoria
    Event Type: Faction Event
    Event Crew: Away Team Saru 5* (New), Commander Thelin 4* (New) and Commando Shran 4* (Existing)
    Event Dates: Thursday 02/08 until Monday 02/12

Mega Event recurrent featured crew: Prisoner Katrina Cornwell 5* (Existing)

Important We are making a change to Faction Events, starting with this event there will only be 6 unique missions instead of the usual 10. This will also apply to Hybrid Events with a Faction Event. Edit: This change will not apply to Faction Events involving only 1 faction. This change is being made as an effort to reduce server lag during events. We will evaluate the effects and make changes as necessary.

@Shan

What are the factions for this event? I take it there will be more than one?
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    In all honesty, someone will figure out another kick-start of sorts. I’ve not had any significant lag issues, but maybe others have? Given the track record of decisions (and of late), it just doesn’t feel altruistic. Tin-foil hats for the conspiracy?
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Event Name: The Honor of Andoria
    Event Type: Faction Event
    Event Crew: Away Team Saru 5* (New), Commander Thelin 4* (New) and Commando Shran 4* (Existing)
    Event Dates: Thursday 02/08 until Monday 02/12

Mega Event recurrent featured crew: Prisoner Katrina Cornwell 5* (Existing)

Important We are making a change to Faction Events, starting with this event there will only be 6 unique missions instead of the usual 10. This will also apply to Hybrid Events with a Faction Event. Edit: This change will not apply to Faction Events involving only 1 faction. This change is being made as an effort to reduce server lag during events. We will evaluate the effects and make changes as necessary.

@Shan

What are the factions for this event? I take it there will be more than one?

That is a great question and fits the purpose of this discussion better than thirty pages of focus on the changes.

I predict Federation, Klingon, and either Hirogen or Augment.
    In all honesty, someone will figure out another kick-start of sorts. I’ve not had any significant lag issues, but maybe others have? Given the track record of decisions (and of late), it just doesn’t feel altruistic. Tin-foil hats for the conspiracy?

It’s more or less the same limited kick start we use for one faction events. That has 20 shuttles open, this nerf take the three faction total to 18 shuttles instead of 30.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

In one event, I had to wait upwards of 30 seconds for each mission to open. It can get pretty bad.

If you look at every change as a bad thing that that's going to be your attitude. I look forward to helping my fleetmates devise a new strategy to suit the changes. It doesn't have to be bad.

I love when the 'you hate every change' argument comes up.

I'm not going to list them, but there have been times when there has been positive change that I've given positive feedback on. In fact, you blasted my **tsk tsk** for it more than once. So not holding water.

Removing choices = bad. I've been pretty consistent on that front. It makes more of the game closer and closer to just a one arm bandit. Maybe if they like the results from this the next step to get even more performance it'll just be only 4 missions so that they can get maximum performance and there's no choice at all.

There have to be better ways to address this assuming they have 1) A budget to expand as their playerbase expands, 2) At least a couple experts in each the technologies that they use.

IF they do want to kill the jump start (which I would be ok with) you'd have to fix the refresh/display issues and have the values of the shuttles not stay the same once they are opened, but variable based on events that happen while they were open.

Yes, there will be new strategies to figure out an optimal jump start. That'll be fun to figure out for an event or two. Then there will be a new status quo, and then simply lesser choices available when figuring out good ways to use your crew for the 3 days and 22 hours that aren't part of your startup in a full faction and 1 day 22 hours on hybrids.

edited February 2018

<Shrug> It's not how it was posted, and I stopped watching several eps ago.

I held on for a while for Doug Jones sake, but I need something less dark and more uplifting for my entertainment.
  • 18 shuttles is two less than a two faction event, which will have 20. 6 of those shuttles will have 5 slots and are probably rarely used by the player base.

It's less writing for the team. Less server stress. Less dozens of shuttles sent after the faction part of a hybrid is over. Kind of makes sense really, and stops the quick start all the way to 4000 and instead stops it to 2250 which then makes it a bit tougher to hit the thresholds. It will also reduce the ranking and make it more variable all up.

In many ways its good because players will have to find different strategies. It will be nice if they change things around more often: not even Shan has said this is going to be permanent, without review.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

I love when the 'you hate every change' argument comes up.

I'm not going to list them, but there have been times when there has been positive change that I've given positive feedback on. In fact, you blasted my *hugs* for it more than once. So not holding water.

Removing choices = bad. I've been pretty consistent on that front. It makes more of the game closer and closer to just a one arm bandit. Maybe if they like the results from this the next step to get even more performance it'll just be only 4 missions so that they can get maximum performance and there's no choice at all.

There have to be better ways to address this assuming they have 1) A budget to expand as their playerbase expands, 2) At least a couple experts in each the technologies that they use.

IF they do want to kill the jump start (which I would be ok with) you'd have to fix the refresh/display issues and have the values of the shuttles not stay the same once they are opened, but variable based on events that happen while they were open.

Yes, there will be new strategies to figure out an optimal jump start. That'll be fun to figure out for an event or two. Then there will be a new status quo, and then simply lesser choices available when figuring out good ways to use your crew for the 3 days and 22 hours that aren't part of your startup in a full faction and 1 day 22 hours on hybrids.

There are still 18 choices in all likelihood, which is more than enough. As Belle'Anna said, we already had faction events with only 20 choices. That's barely any different.

Your overuse of hyperbole does nothing to convince me that this is some sort of horrible change that will boil everything down to luck. Good crew and dedication will be no less important in this event than they were in the past.