Home The Bridge
Options

New Vulcan/Romulan Mega-Event in April featuring the legendary Surak!

Comments

• Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Wow, Rara — I like you, and quite enjoy your posts, but I have to say I couldn't disagree with you more.

I agree the newer Bev isn't great — I think it's decent, but not great — it was a lot better than Mirror Data and other awful artwork that preceded it, so I think that's partly why it was met with a generally positive reaction. But I believe it is, as you say, a little dead-looking, compared to how it could be. I think that facially, the Dr Crusher above is leagues better — realistic-looking, fairly detailed, and looks like Ms. McFadden. (The awkward poses and bad drawings of hands that so many crew seem to have is another discussion entirely, I think, lol.)

But really, you are okay with the artwork on Laborer Spock? It looks completely lifeless to me. In fact, I think it more closely resembles a mannikin in a department store than a living person. In my opinion, it's extremely hurried work — something that looks like it was whipped out by some artist in an afternoon, whereas Commander Spock looks like it was created with astute attention to detail, with probably a fair amount of man-hours spent crafting it. One is akin to the 5-minute paintings of landscapes that the artists at county fairs will do while everyone gawks and applauds his speed... the other is more comparable to the work of a talented portrait artist.

(And let me state again for the record that I don't blame the artists here. I like to think that for the most part, they are being instructed not to spend inordinate amounts of time creating the art, and so of course the quality is going to suffer. I think most of them could probably do a lot better work if they were allowed a more reasonable time frame in which to work.)

Surak — I don't really have a huge problem with him, other than it's more of the low-detail stuff we've been getting for awhile, and I feel the shading is weird. But I don't find him "cartoony", as someone else said, nor particularly heinous. I merely ran with the "helmet hair" idea above, and had some fun with it.

But, regarding the rest...
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I guess. :#

I just really don't think it was better before as compared to now and I really feel that the quality varies greatly across all crew ... if you take Paris (current event crew)

2* - a perfectly boring rendition of who the character probably is on the show.

3* - the face and the rest just don't match well ... the highlights on the shirt are blue, whereas on the face white. The face is detailed, whereas the rest isn't

4* Proton - kinda neat, I like the b&w styling.

4* Medic - again, really good, not detailed at all, more in a "comics" style, good shading etc.

4* Mutated - I just really don't like the gown, it doesn't look right and does not fit with the face.

5* boring, fine I guess.

I don't think art needs to be realistic, I'm perfectly okay with an interpretation of the subject ... I'm personally a fan of low-brow/illustration art (Glenn Barr, Clayton Brothers, Travis Louie, Virgil Partch, Jim Flora to the likes of Chris Ware and Seth) ... but that interpretation needs to have continuity (see Combat Medic Paris) ... I also feel that good craftsmanship does not make great art (see for example the discussion around the 1900s between the Royal College of Art and Slades).

On top of this ... I've never watched Star Trek until Disco so have no connection with any of the historical stuff and so maybe don't feel disappointed in renditions because off it ... I just take them as they are without knowing any of the history. :) I have no idea what Labourer Spock looked like in the episode, but when I see the picture I think, "yeah, it works". I might feel different if I had a strong connection with the source material (I have no idea who Ms McFadden is or what she looks/looked like, how cool (or not) her character is etc. etc. etc.). I'll google her. :)

EDIT: read the post below this one ... I do not agree with it on so many levels ... that person basically wants to see craftsmanship/draftsmanship and not art or an artistic interpretation of characters.

e.g. T'Mir's card art is awesome (one for the best in the game in my humble opinion - I really get a sense of muted 1950/60s faded Tim Burtonesque suburbia, fits wonderfully with the advertisements of the age - it makes me want to see the episode on which that card is based just to get an understanding of the story behind the character) ... Commander T'Pol's is average at best (so cookie-cutter standard in subject matter, I couldn't care less about the episode she's from, her face has zero expression etc.).
  • Options
    KTzKTz ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hope to see a re-run of tomalak in this mega event. Live long and prosper!
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain Q wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Has he a helmet on his head, or is this supposed to be hair?

It does sort of bring to mind this pic...

aq1tp4wehv5b.jpg

That's Romulan Grumpy Cat...

this reminds me - could this event finally give us some of these guys??

320x240.jpg
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys wanted Surak and you got Surak. People complain too much.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Some folks complain too much about others complaining too much
    Haha, fair enough. You have to admit though that his robe looks really good.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

And, isn’t that part of the reason for the existence of the Forums? To get feedback from players on the game? One person complaining is an inconsistent data point, multiple complaints would add to validity and reliability of said data. And, as I am sure we all can recognize, there are hollow complaints, constructive criticisms, and general jokes...they aren’t all the same, nor should they all be lumped together under the general heading “complaint.” Having said that, I can see where you are coming from. At times there are a lot of hollow complaints out there.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought on artwork... Surak popped up in the vault quite a while ago, implying he was ready for release, then pulled perhaps for this Mega-Event scheduling. At the same time, people have been complimenting the art for the last few weeks of new cards. Is it possible to assume that this artwork was done before the revision to the art process went into place - so rather than seeing the latest generation of card art, we're seeing something that was completed months ago even though it's just now being released?
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Good enough to cover that face.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    dext74 wrote: »
    Thought on artwork... Surak popped up in the vault quite a while ago, implying he was ready for release, then pulled perhaps for this Mega-Event scheduling. At the same time, people have been complimenting the art for the last few weeks of new cards. Is it possible to assume that this artwork was done before the revision to the art process went into place - so rather than seeing the latest generation of card art, we're seeing something that was completed months ago even though it's just now being released?

Yup. That’s what we think the deal is. It’s also worrying to some who were looking forward to the other crew who popped up at the same time- a new Spock variant, and Amanda Grayson.
  • Options
    Why did they draw him SMILING???
    Please fix!!
  • Options

Good enough to cover that face.

Maybe all they actually did was take Ambassador Soval’s robes/body, change it up a bit, and stick a Surak head on, lol. Mind you, I’m not actually saying they did this, just that they could have, lol.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    Not sure why people are hating on the art. I tgink Surak looks fine.

To illustrate (har!) why:

Older Art / Newer Art
    mb89wmgr2lut.png

Wow, that's bad
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    Tbh i am very much welcoming another almost free 4/5* (still have to play event to get)

DB scores well imo for this
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    Capt Ajamm wrote: »
    Tbh i am very much welcoming another almost free 4/5* (still have to play event to get)

DB scores well imo for this

I'm not complaining, either. Bring on the galaxy events, too...love them!
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's bad

It's worse than bad.

2qdc9dd3503h.jpg
  • Options

I wanted TOS Surak a lot, not the smiling Enterprise Surak.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options

I wanted TOS Surak a lot, not the smiling Enterprise Surak.

At least we aren't getting some 5* we don't want, like last event with the STD reoccurring 5*. I would rather Enterprise Surak than "Michael" Burnham the "Vulcan" (Remember she identifies with being a Vulcan so we have to respect that).
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope for

V'Las
    Valdore
    Vreenak
  • Options
    ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not sure why people are hating on the art. I tgink Surak looks fine.

To illustrate (har!) why:

Older Art / Newer Art
    mb89wmgr2lut.png

Wow, that's bad

You're right, I forgot to fully helmetize the hair and reduce the lips/nose highlights and stuff.

k2zmghkd2bs4.png
  • Options
    science primary
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for an Archer, and Amanda Grayson among the crew as well as expanding the presently limited array of Romulans.
    McCoy bless him carried Spock's katra, but Archer carried briefly no less than Surak, the father of Vulcan logic and teachings, with Surak finally arriving, please lets have the appropriate Archer too, thanks.
  • Options
    Are we getting a Scimitar? I don't usually buy ship packs, but would totally drop some dilithium for that one.
  • Options

And, isn’t that part of the reason for the existence of the Forums? To get feedback from players on the game? One person complaining is an inconsistent data point, multiple complaints would add to validity and reliability of said data. And, as I am sure we all can recognize, there are hollow complaints, constructive criticisms, and general jokes...they aren’t all the same, nor should they all be lumped together under the general heading “complaint.” Having said that, I can see where you are coming from. At times there are a lot of hollow complaints out there.

Yep exactly. I just hope people use constructive criticism to help improve the game. Tell DB what specifically you like and what you dont like. Thats how we get DB to keep improving the game. I agree that not all artwork is good but I think DB has made a concerted effort in the last month or two to improve the artwork. If people just say the artwork is bad even when DB works to make it better than DB might just dismiss complaints and say why bother people dont like the artwork no matter what we do.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m excited for this mega event. Two alien species from Star Trek that I’ve always enjoyed that have an interestingly intertwined history. One the ultra logical, scientific, etc. The other the cunning plotters who are given to subterfuge. Unquestionably the right legendary character. And apologies to the fans of TOS, but I’m glad they chose the version from Enterprise. The one from TOS was so one-dimensional.

Like others, I’m also hoping for Archer, T’Pau (maybe both the version from ENT and the version from TOS), Romulan Picard, maybe Kohlinar Spock from TMP or Captain Spock from TWOK, maybe Ambassador T’Pel (the Romulan spy from TNG), and either Vreenak or Koval of the Tal Shiar (from DS9).
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    well Tongo, if the actor/actress has passed away they usually have a hard time getting the rights

If that's the case good luck getting any new TOS crew. :'(

“You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai