Home The Bridge
Options

New Vulcan/Romulan Mega-Event in April featuring the legendary Surak!

Comments

• Options
    My thoughts on this event:

1a) It definitely looks like Surak's smiling
    1b) I hope that Surak's stats are Dip-Cmd-Sci
    (Dip & Cmd because he persuaded a planet to change philosophies; Sci because he pushed Vulcan focus that direction, and I think in the novels he was a scientist before becoming a philosopher)
    2) We just had a Vulcan-Andorian event, and now we're doing a Vulcan-Romulan event? You couldn't have given this mega a different focus, and brougtht this topic back in, say, the Fall?
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

(Dip & Cmd because he persuaded a planet to change philosophies; Sci because he pushed Vulcan focus that direction, and I think in the novels he was a scientist before becoming a philosopher)
    2) We just had a Vulcan-Andorian event, and now we're doing a Vulcan-Romulan event? You couldn't have given this mega a different focus, and brougtht this topic back in, say, the Fall?

Technically that was a Discovery-Andorian mega that had Vulcans as the target, but I do agree with you in that the timings odd.

I was hoping for a pure Romulan mega. There's so many Vulcan characters already that the bonus list is going to be heinous for each of the events. I like me some good bonus crew, but towards the end of the mega, this might be like the 'brutal' event.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

As Pallidyne said, it was an Andorian-Disco event, Vulcans weren't the focus.

So long as this even is majority Romulans, I'll be happy.

Also not including Vreenak is a crime, so he better be there, with his iconic voiceline. Seriously. There will be riots.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

There's so many Vulcan characters already that the bonus list is going to be heinous for each of the events. I like me some good bonus crew, but towards the end of the mega, this might be like the 'brutal' event.

You're right in that there will be an awful lot of bonus crew, but I see that as a feature, not a bug. For me, as someone who has played more than a year, it will be fun to put some of those crew to use. (Kal-if-fee Spock, Amb. Spock, Cmdr. T'Pol, Cmdr. Sela, etc.) But, because some of those crew are from the early days of the game, they don't have the skill power creep of newer crew. So, as the 4-week event goes on, the newer players that acquire the new crew will be able to equal older players like me since I'll need to newer crew with higher skill levels, too.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

There's so many Vulcan characters already that the bonus list is going to be heinous for each of the events. I like me some good bonus crew, but towards the end of the mega, this might be like the 'brutal' event.

You're right in that there will be an awful lot of bonus crew, but I see that as a feature, not a bug. For me, as someone who has played more than a year, it will be fun to put some of those crew to use. (Kal-if-fee Spock, Amb. Spock, Cmdr. T'Pol, Cmdr. Sela, etc.) But, because some of those crew are from the early days of the game, they don't have the skill power creep of newer crew. So, as the 4-week event goes on, the newer players that acquire the new crew will be able to equal older players like me since I'll need to newer crew with higher skill levels, too.

Normally I agree with this philosophy, but too much of a good thing can exist and we did see that in Brutal-land. I'm sitting at over 20 FE Bonus crew that is 4 and 5 star if its Both Rom and Vulcan and counting not counting if they throw in other characters for one or the other event. And I know I probably don't have all the Vulcans that are out there.

• Options
    It's sort of standard at this point though for Megas to have lots of bonus crew. The Klingon event had plenty, as did the Disco and Mirror ones. And the amount of bonus crew just grows as the Mega progresses.

We have 31 Vulcans, but 57 Klingons, just to give some perspective here.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It's sort of standard at this point though for Megas to have lots of bonus crew. The Klingon event had plenty, as did the Disco and Mirror ones. And the amount of bonus crew just grows as the Mega progresses.

We have 31 Vulcans, but 57 Klingons, just to give some perspective here.

Disco started with almost none. And that is Klingon post-mega.
    It got ridiculous with Klingon as well.
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Normally I agree with this philosophy, but too much of a good thing can exist and we did see that in Brutal-land. I'm sitting at over 20 FE Bonus crew that is 4 and 5 star if its Both Rom and Vulcan and counting not counting if they throw in other characters for one or the other event. And I know I probably don't have all the Vulcans that are out there.

I'm similarly situated with more than 20. So I should be able to fill every slot on four shuttles with bonus crew. I suspect you and I are not so unique in this regard. A lot of newer folks will be able to fill some slots in the first event, and almost all the slots before the end. For us, we'll just be replacing one bonus crew with a newer, slightly better bonus crew. It gives them time to catch up. As Mr. Spock said of entering the Mutara Nebula and losing shields and sensors, "the odds will be even."
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    I'm hoping it's Romulan-only for the bonus crew. I don't want to unpack all my vaulted Vulcans!
  • Options
    I'm hoping it's Romulan-only for the bonus crew. I don't want to unpack all my vaulted Vulcans!

Well, if it's Romulan-only, there will be some holes. Only Romulan with significant Science skill is a 2-star cadet. Only Romulans with significant medical are Rakal Troi (and that's not her primary trait) and a 1-star cadet. Best Romulan for security is Tomalak and, again, it's not his primary trait.

So, I'm hoping for Vulcans, even though the unvaulting (and vaulting of others to make room) will be a pain in the tookus.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if it's Romulan-only, there will be some holes. Only Romulan with significant Science skill is a 2-star cadet. Only Romulans with significant medical are Rakal Troi (and that's not her primary trait) and a 1-star cadet. Best Romulan for security is Tomalak and, again, it's not his primary trait.

So, I'm hoping for Vulcans, even though the unvaulting (and vaulting of others to make room) will be a pain in the tookus.

Remember there may also be other variants. Lord help us if Romulan Picard is in there. Roms, Vulcans and Picards bonus in an event would be ridiculous.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip-Sci-Med.

Med because he healed an entire race and culture, and he did that twice. He did this with diplomacy, psychology and mind-melding.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured out the trait for this Surak — Dream
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am, rather illogically, hoping for a sci primary.

Mostly because I could use a lot more sci. (:
  • Options
    well Tongo, if the actor/actress has passed away they usually have a hard time getting the rights

There are plenty of actors and actresses that have passed away that have their likenesses represented. Deforest Kelley, James Doohan, the TOS Klingons, Jeffrey Hunter, Merritt Butrick, Persis Khambatta, etc.

There is likely a different factor in not being represented in timelines.
    Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam
  • Options
    I am, rather illogically, hoping for a sci primary.

Mostly because I could use a lot more sci. (:

That's not illogical.

In Wrath of Khan, David Marcus compares Surak to Newton and Einstein for his scientific contributions. You could make a case he should have the best SCI base in the game.
  • Options

Remember there may also be other variants. Lord help us if Romulan Picard is in there. Roms, Vulcans and Picards bonus in an event would be ridiculous.

They would throw us a Romulan Janeway or a Romulan Burnham before a Romulan Picard! lol
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

They would throw us a Romulan Janeway or a Romulan Burnham before a Romulan Picard! lol

Same difference from a numbers standpoint...
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the mega event coming up is not about how many vulcans and romulans you have but how many crew slots you have to pull them all out of vault.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    well Tongo, if the actor/actress has passed away they usually have a hard time getting the rights

There are plenty of actors and actresses that have passed away that have their likenesses represented. Deforest Kelley, James Doohan, the TOS Klingons, Jeffrey Hunter, Merritt Butrick, Persis Khambatta, etc.

There is likely a different factor in not being represented in timelines.

I think the issue is usually whether they can properly ID who holds the rights from the actor's estate. I believe that's why we haven't gotten a TOS Mudd; they aren't sure who inherited Roger Carmel's rights.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree on the Ambassador Spock front. Especially considering Romulan Data and Troi get the Romulan attribute.
  • Options
    I agree on the Ambassador Spock front. Especially considering Romulan Data and Troi get the Romulan attribute.

Unless we get a separate Romulan Spock, from a different scene in that episode.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens, honestly.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

One should not invalidate the other.
  • Options

One should not invalidate the other.

I'm not saying that it should, only that I could see an argument being made that one is meant to be more specifically "Spock dressing as a Romulan" and one is meant to be "Spock during the TNG era being an ambassador".

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Interested in being part of the TLA fun?
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    This event should be fun. I havent been into the past few Mega Events. Hopefully we get more cannon characters and less Discovery.