Home The Bridge
Options

New Vulcan/Romulan Mega-Event in April featuring the legendary Surak!

Comments

• Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne -- Did you count those yourself, or is that list somewhere online? I loved the TOS films, but can only think of two Romulan appearances - Caithlin Dar from ST:TFF and Amb. Nanclus from ST:TUC. What's the other one?

It's a copy/paste from Memory Alpha, who apparently consider the JJ movies as TOS.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulan#Appearances
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I just want no Discovery characters at all for these events. I hope that isn't too much to ask.

I think DB will be light on Disco until the next season hits the screen, but they may throw in a few just to keep interest up.

I would be happy if they gave us one, just as long as it is Captain Killy Tilly, The Slayer of Sorna Prime.

bcc2a9c7bb986e2a7d38527c978b44ca.jpg

Ok I'll give you that one. But I don't see how she'd play into this event.
    But, seriously, DSC hasn't been represented since the DSC/Andorian mega event so I don't understand the complaint.

TOS: Dress Uniform Scotty, Crashing the Party (February 8)
    TNG: Victorian Pulaski, Consolation Prize (March 8)
    DS9: Zek, Prime Directive rerun (CURRENT)
    VOY: Resistance Neelix, Consolation Prize (March 8)
    ENT: Harris/Mirror Tucker, Prime Directive rerun (CURRENT)
    DSC: Time Loop Mudd, Founders at War (February 22)

My "complaint" is not how long its been since we had a new DIS person, it's having the mega event roster flooded with DIS people. Last mega had 7 crew from DIS out of the 13 offered crew (Saru, Sarek, Cornwell, Mudd, Ash, Landry, Burnham) that's more than 50%. So yes, I'd like this mega to be a break from any DIS overhaul or any DIS at all really.

This mega-event should mostly be TOS, TNG, and ENT with maybe a light sprinkling of DS9 or VOY depending on if they want to put Tuvok in the mega or if they want to do some of the Romulans from DS9. Mainly I would like to have my Vulcan-Romulan mega celebrating the series from which the most focus on Vulcans and Romulans comes, not some thrown-in tangential DIS Vulcan/Romulan. And I don't think it is too much to ask that the event stay on-board with the three series who featured those races the most.

I don't hate DIS so if you think that's my motivation, then you're mistaken. I just like series relevance to be respected if possible and DIS has little to no relevance regarding the Vulcan-Romulan plotlines.

If this is really a Vulcan mega guest starring Romulans I'd agree. However, if Romulans are really going to be represented, DS9 should be in their sights.

List of Romulan appearances by series

◾ENT: (5)
    ◾TOS: (3)
    ◾TAS: (3)
    ◾TOS films: (3)
    ◾TNG: (21)
    ◾ TNG films: (2)
    ◾ DS9: (16)
    ◾ VOY: (6)

I'm already getting more and more disappointed in thinking this is pretty much just gonna be all Vulcan with maybe 2-3 new Romulans.

Wishing they'd just done a Vulcan mega and a Romulan mega later on.

I really hope not on the possibility of Vulcan majority, teeny-tiny Romulan appearance. I'm trying to think of prominent DS9 Romulans though. I mean there's Koval, Vreenak, Cretak, T'Rul, Neral, and I'm blanking on any others. Are the 16 just appearances by Romulans counting in such a way where certain Romulan characters appeared more than once (e.g. Cretak, T'Rul) and not 16 separate individual Romulan characters in the series?

The 5 I can remember are still great Romulan characters and I'm up for them appearing, although we already have T'Rul and Cretak.

Some other prominent DS9 Romulans:
    • Lovok, the Tal Shiar colonel who worked with Enabran Tain to wipe out the dominion homeworld,
      though of course he's actually a changeling and better suited to a Dominion event
    • Letant and Velal, two of the Romulan representatives on DS9 during the Dominion War, before and after Cretak, respectively. I rather liked Letant.
    • Ruwon and Karina, the two Romulan representatives sent to DS9 to receive Gamma Quadrant intelligence. I'm not wild about either character but "Visionary" was a great episode.
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Kolinahr Spock is finally a character I can get excited about
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discovery is the new trek. The only new trek since 2003. Expect there to be lots more Discovery crew coming.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Discovery is the new trek. The only new trek since 2003. Expect there to be lots more Discovery crew coming.

Yup. They could easily go with Discovery's Amanda Grayson for this event, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Vulcan Admiral pops up somewhere. They've pretty much tapped the well on the Burnham stories where she was in Vulcan regalia (which I'm sure they're kicking themselves for), but she's so closely tied into that identity that any version of her could fit into the plot, really.

Frankly, I'm rather impressed with their restraint at not immediately turning around and doing a Mirror Discovery event after the season finished. To be honest, that's an event I would be looking forward to, but I appreciate the break from All-Disco, All the Time. Perhaps to celebrate the launch of season 2?
  • Options
    Tongo Rad wrote: »
    We're getting Kohlinahr Spock! I am so happy I've been saving my dilithium and chrons the last two weeks.
    qmkci3v6jy4l.jpg

Me too. :)

dkbnd3040p3x.jpg
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would kill for a Caithlin Dar but not keeping hopes up.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    And first event, no Romulans.
    Human, Human/Vulcan and Vulcan with Vulcan recurring.
  • Options
    KaiRoKaiRo ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This event should be fun. I havent been into the past few Mega Events. Hopefully we get more cannon characters and less Discovery.

Discovery characters are c-a-n-o-n by definition, given that they appeared on screen/film. 🖖🏻

There's only one real Star Trek cannon after all, and that's this one:
    omf84y271q0b.jpg (larger version on Flickr)
    (as appearing in Voyager "Future's End Part 1", this is above Santa Monica Pier, visible in the background of Janeway talking to Chakotay, Paris and Tuvok - and the guy is Larry Nemecek, an expert on Trek canon, telling us "this is real Star Trek can[n]on!" right there)
    "Don't try to be a great man... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."
    -- Dr. Zefram Cochrane, around 2073
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    KaiRo wrote: »
    This event should be fun. I havent been into the past few Mega Events. Hopefully we get more cannon characters and less Discovery.

Discovery characters are c-a-n-o-n by definition, given that they appeared on screen/film. 🖖🏻

There's only one real Star Trek cannon after all, and that's this one:
    omf84y271q0b.jpg (larger version on Flickr)
    (as appearing in Voyager "Future's End Part 1", this is above Santa Monica Pier, visible in the background of Janeway talking to Chakotay, Paris and Tuvok - and the guy is Larry Nemecek, an expert on Trek canon, telling us "this is real Star Trek can[n]on!" right there)

+1 @KaiRo !
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options

Is it still canon if it defiles the canon timeline, apparently the jokes on us.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options

Is it still canon if it defiles the canon timeline, apparently the jokes on us.

In what way has the canon timeline been hurt? Discovery is good. A certain percentage of people hate every new trek and call it not canon. They hated tng cause it wasnt the original, they hated ds9 because it wasnt on a ship, they hated voyager cause it wasnt in the alpha quadrant, they hated enterprise cause it was a prequel, now they hate discovery and call it not canon. Seems to me Discovery is in good company.

Just a few minor things come to mind as far as timeline defiling goes. Super awesome spore drive allowing for instantaneous travel - never mentioned. Spock and Sarek are Mind melding maniacs yet no one says holy crap Spock Michael Burnham is your sister! You have a hot sister! Especially when his half brother takes over the enterprise she would have been brought up. Klingons are messed up which is weird but I can deal with it. Their tech is more advanced yet it takes place in the past. I paid to watch the first season. It was not worth it. I hear the second season is worse. The human Klingon sex is also pretty damn disturbing. They went a little too graphic in that department IMO.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    Will Shinzon be getting the Romulan trait before this event begins? Seems inconsistent, since the viceroy has it, but Shinzon doesn't.
  • Options
    Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a few minor things come to mind as far as timeline defiling goes. Super awesome spore drive allowing for instantaneous travel - never mentioned. Spock and Sarek are Mind melding maniacs yet no one says holy crap Spock Michael Burnham is your sister! You have a hot sister! Especially when his half brother takes over the enterprise she would have been brought up. Klingons are messed up which is weird but I can deal with it. Their tech is more advanced yet it takes place in the past. I paid to watch the first season. It was not worth it. I hear the second season is worse. The human Klingon sex is also pretty damn disturbing. They went a little too graphic in that department IMO.

Wendell.....I must be behind the times, I didn't know they had even filmed the second season yet.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

Wendell.....I must be behind the times, I didn't know they had even filmed the second season yet.

It doesn't start filming until May, so either Wendell has impressive time travel powers or he's referring to the second half of the first season. Either way, the timeline defiling being referred to is the pretty standard stuff that Disco haters bring up (how dare the technology they have looks more advanced than what was in TOS even though our own technology today looks more advanced than the TOS tech/heaven forbid we've never heard of Spock's sister considering the number of times we heard about his brother before meeting him/producers said they would explain why we've never heard of the spore drive and it's been X number of episodes without an explanation).
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't mind more Disco crew, but not even Burnham has the Vulcan trait. Mix it up. Crew from each of the main series. There's enough to go around. There's plenty of people ready to take offense at the new trek, it just takes them a whole to adjust. Change seems to affect some people very negatively for some reason.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wish list for this mega-event:

Ambassador Nanclus
    Caithlin Dar
    Mirror Tuvok
    Romulan Commander (TOS "Balance of Terror")
    Senator Vrenak
    Romulan Bird-of-Prey (TOS with the orange bird painted on the bottom of the hull)

I'd be perfectly content with a 3* Dar. And since we have absolutely no idea what Mirror Tuvok's skills were, I'd love if he was made ENG/SCI/MED.

Also, I need three more stars on Commander Nevesa and Subcommander T'Rul, so I'd be cool with either of them being an existing crew member.

Re: Disco

Not only has there not been a Disco crew member in an event since "Ghosts of the Past", but there hasn't even been a new Disco crew member added to the game since Mirror Shukar back on 27 February. I'm expecting Amanda Grayson to be the Disco incarnation, and she'd be my preferred Amanda, frankly. (Of Jane Wyatt's appearances, I'd favor her from Star Trek IV to "Journey to Babel".)

Having said that, as my wish list demonstrates, I do agree that the lion's share really ought to be drawn from TOS, TNG, and DS9. (Granted, I'd be content if the whole game was just DS9.)
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

Ambassador Nanclus
    Caithlin Dar
    Mirror Tuvok
    Senator Vrenak
    Romulan Bird-of-Prey (TOS with the orange bird painted on the bottom of the hull)

I'd be perfectly content with a 3* Dar. And since we have absolutely no idea what Mirror Tuvok's skills were, I'd love if he was made ENG/SCI/MED.

Also, I need three more stars on Commander Nevesa and Subcommander T'Rul, so I'd be cool with either of them being an existing crew member.

Not only has there not been a Disco crew member in an event since "Ghosts of the Past", but there hasn't even been a new Disco crew member added to the game since Mirror Shukar back on 27 February. I'm expecting Amanda Grayson to be the Disco incarnation, and she'd be my preferred Amanda, frankly. (Of Jane Wyatt's appearances, I'd favor her from Star Trek IV to "Journey to Babel".)

Having said that, as my wish list demonstrates, I do agree that the lion's share really ought to be drawn from TOS, TNG, and DS9. (Granted, I'd be content if the whole game was just DS9.)

Yeah, I actually didn't mind the DIS incarnation of Amanda Grayson, but I just prefer the ST:IV "motherly" vibes from Jane Wyatt's version (also that was my first ever introduction to the character, so I might be a bit biased).

I'd think that most Romulans would likely come from DS9 and TNG (but we really do need Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander), whereas most Vulcans would be from TOS and ENT.

VOY really had no Vulcans or Romulans except for Tuvok, R'mor (who's already in the game) and Taurik (who frankly needs to be added, but not necessarily for this event).

If there's a non-Amanda Grayson DIS character added to the game as part of this event, I'd like it to be the bald Vulcan Admiral because he was cool and I liked him (I have a thing for Vulcan Admirals, so I'd also like the Vulcan Admiral from TNG to be added too please).
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Of course, we could end up with this Amanda:

phihdplb6dmc.jpg

That would be...interesting :P

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Ambassador Nanclus
    Caithlin Dar
    Mirror Tuvok
    Senator Vrenak

Yeah, I actually didn't mind the DIS incarnation of Amanda Grayson, but I just prefer the ST:IV "motherly" vibes from Jane Wyatt's version (also that was my first ever introduction to the character, so I might be a bit biased).

I'd think that most Romulans would likely come from DS9 and TNG (but we really do need Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander), whereas most Vulcans would be from TOS and ENT.

VOY really had no Vulcans or Romulans except for Tuvok, R'mor (who's already in the game) and Taurik (who frankly needs to be added, but not necessarily for this event).

If there's a non-Amanda Grayson DIS character added to the game as part of this event, I'd like it to be the bald Vulcan Admiral because he was cool and I liked him (I have a thing for Vulcan Admirals, so I'd also like the Vulcan Admiral from TNG to be added too please).

On Voy, don't you mean Vorrik the Engineer we have as a 3*?
    Taurik I think was TNG but the same Actor.
  • Options

Ambassador Nanclus
    Caithlin Dar
    Mirror Tuvok
    Senator Vrenak

He should. Vorrik was on Voyager and Taurik was his twin brother on TNG.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Ambassador Nanclus
    Caithlin Dar
    Mirror Tuvok
    Senator Vrenak

I thought it was the other way around, and Vorik was from TNG and Taurik was the one on VOY?

EDIT: Yup, I'm just confused, Vorik was VOY and Taurik was TNG. Which just means that there's even less reason for VOY to be represented in this event :P

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »

It doesn't start filming until May, so either Wendell has impressive time travel powers or he's referring to the second half of the first season. Either way, the timeline defiling being referred to is the pretty standard stuff that Disco haters bring up (how dare the technology they have looks more advanced than what was in TOS even though our own technology today looks more advanced than the TOS tech/heaven forbid we've never heard of Spock's sister considering the number of times we heard about his brother before meeting him/producers said they would explain why we've never heard of the spore drive and it's been X number of episodes without an explanation).

Yes second half of first season. Potatoes Patatoes. I have talked with lots of trekkies that all really wanted to like Discovery as did I. The truth of the matter is that the show completely disrespects the franchise. It doesn’t even feel like trek. It is entertaining Sci-fi with a few talented actors. I just wish if they were going to be so cavalier with the timeline why not just pick up after VOY and DS9?
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    Captain LostCaptain Lost ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    My guess on why they aren't doing a Post-VOY Star Trek series:

When CBS was spun off of Viacom, the rights for Star Trek got split down the middle. Paramount Pictures got the rights to Star Trek films, CBS got the rights to Star Trek TV. Now, both of them can use and make reference to the Star Trek canon from before the split, but neither of them can make reference to what the other is doing. In Star Trek 2009, It is established that in the Prime timeline, the planet Romulus was destroyed in the late 24th century, a major event in the Star Trek universe. If CBS Star Trek TV made a post VOY series, they would have to address this in some way... but they might not be allowed to because of the series split. Probably best to avoid this rights issue and set the series BEFORE Romulus is destroyed. We already have three Trek series (that's 21 seasons!) and four movies set in the 24th Century. It's saturated, that era is pretty well covered. So the 23rd Century it is.

Anyway, I'm not 100% happy with everything they have done in Discovery (everything about the Klingons is a mess), but the series has promise, and I'm looking forward to the next season. Hopefully they have learned some lessons from season 1.
  • Options
    My guess on why they aren't doing a Post-VOY Star Trek series:

When CBS was spun off of Viacom, the rights for Star Trek got split down the middle. Paramount Pictures got the rights to Star Trek films, CBS got the rights to Star Trek TV. Now, both of them can use and make reference to the Star Trek canon from before the split, but neither of them can make reference to what the other is doing. In Star Trek 2009, It is established that in the Prime timeline, the planet Romulus was destroyed in the late 24th century, a major event in the Star Trek universe. If CBS Star Trek TV made a post VOY series, they would have to address this in some way... but they might not be allowed to because of the series split. Probably best to avoid this rights issue and set the series BEFORE Romulus is destroyed. We already have three Trek series (that's 21 seasons!) and four movies set in the 24th Century. It's saturated, that era is pretty well covered. So the 23rd Century it is.

Anyway, I'm not 100% happy with everything they have done in Discovery (everything about the Klingons is a mess), but the series has promise, and I'm looking forward to the next season. Hopefully they have learned some lessons from season 1.

I remember when Discovery (I don't think it had a name yet though) was first announced, it was speculated/implied it'd be set in the TNG era of the Kelvin timeline, so I'm not sure about that theory?

And either way, I'm fine with more stuff set in the 23rd Century, but they really are screwing with the timeline. And not just because of the updated-looking tech. Enterprise did that and I'm fine with it. The difference between what Enterprise did and what Discovery did, is that Enterprise updated the look of the tech, whereas Discovery inserted/added/changed tech in a way that makes no sense. Discovery didn't just make the interface look cleaner and design things to be less 60's looking, they gave them holodecks and holographic communications. Things that were supposed to be revolutionary in TNG and DS9. That's the kind of thing that bothers me. They can make the transporters, communicators, uniforms, viewscreens etc. look as modern as they like, but keep the major technological limitations intact please.

Also I'm sorry but the Klingons just look horrid and the prosthetics don't allow the actors to properly emote and it's annoying.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Captain LostCaptain Lost ✭✭✭✭

I remember when Discovery (I don't think it had a name yet though) was first announced, it was speculated/implied it'd be set in the TNG era of the Kelvin timeline, so I'm not sure about that theory?
    Early rumors are often wrong. I've also heard that Bryan Fuller wanted to set the series in the 25th Century, but CBS said "no".
    And either way, I'm fine with more stuff set in the 23rd Century, but they really are screwing with the timeline. And not just because of the updated-looking tech. Enterprise did that and I'm fine with it. The difference between what Enterprise did and what Discovery did, is that Enterprise updated the look of the tech, whereas Discovery inserted/added/changed tech in a way that makes no sense. Discovery didn't just make the interface look cleaner and design things to be less 60's looking, they gave them holodecks and holographic communications. Things that were supposed to be revolutionary in TNG and DS9. That's the kind of thing that bothers me. They can make the transporters, communicators, uniforms, viewscreens etc. look as modern as they like, but keep the major technological limitations intact please.

Also I'm sorry but the Klingons just look horrid and the prosthetics don't allow the actors to properly emote and it's annoying.

They could have done a better job balancing staying true to Star Trek canon and making the tech look modern and futuristic, no doubt. And I agree about the Klingons.
    Back when Enterprise premiered, I was so furious that it contradicted what was said about the technology of the 22nd century in earlier Treks (no subspace radio, primitive nuclear weapons were used in the Earth-Romulan war, phasers and transporters being new technology in the 23rd century) that I didn't want to accept it as canon at all. This time I guess I'm a little more willing to accept the fact that things aren't going to be exactly the way that I want or expect. Star Trek needs to look futuristic.

Still, if they are going to be so blasé with the canon and radically change the established aesthetic so much, I kind of wish Discovery was just set in a third Trek timeline. It would make things a little more neat.
  • Options

Early rumors are often wrong. I've also heard that Bryan Fuller wanted to set the series in the 25th Century, but CBS said "no".

They could have done a better job balancing staying true to Star Trek canon and making the tech look modern and futuristic, no doubt. And I agree about the Klingons.
    Back when Enterprise premiered, I was so furious that it contradicted what was said about the technology of the 22nd century in earlier Treks (no subspace radio, primitive nuclear weapons were used in the Earth-Romulan war, phasers and transporters being new technology in the 23rd century) that I didn't want to accept it as canon at all. This time I guess I'm a little more willing to accept the fact that things aren't going to be exactly the way that I want or expect. Star Trek needs to look futuristic.

Still, if they are going to be so blasé with the canon and radically change the established aesthetic so much, I kind of wish Discovery was just set in a third Trek timeline. It would make things a little more neat.

I was okay with Enterprise because they still showed a clear effort to stay within the timelines (transporters being sketchy, no phasers for most of the early episodes, temporal stuff that possibly accounted for the occasional inconsistency). With Discovery I'm not getting any "we care about the timeline/canon" vibes. There's a pretty clear "we'll just scrap whatever we want and disregard anything inconvenient" mentality that shines through which irks me.

That said, I've wanted to like Discovery from the beginning, and I still do, and I still like some characters so I'll stick around for the next season. It's pretty standard Trek for the first season to be rocky.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of characters we want this month - nobody else wants Robin Curtis Saavik

350?cb=20170501212158&path-prefix=en

OR Tallera?

350?cb=20141214022928&path-prefix=en

??