Home The Bridge
Options

Lower Decks! Lower Decks!

Comments

• Options
    Calhoun wrote: »

And yet they happily enjoy the stuff he did actually hate, including Trouble with Tribbles, Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country and DS9 (he rejected the concept of DS9 outright; it was greenlit a couple of weeks after his death).

As with any creative endeavor, there are always disagreements about the projects viability, its design, and how it should be created. And sometimes the originator is overridden, and the project proceeds along lines that are not in keeping with the originator's vision. That doesn't invalidate the project, but it reinforces the fact that, sometimes, a project is better with a collaborative input instead of singular control.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    FF_Founder wrote: »
    So, I'm guessing Prodigy characters would be a problem?

I can see two potential concerns with Prodigy characters. Adding content from a series with such a young target audience raises some self-evident issues. Even if Paramount is okay with it, there's been a longstanding resistance to introducing adolescent characters into Timelines. For quite awhile an outright ban was surmised until they added Kestra Troi-Riker. Neither of those concerns apply to Lower Decks.

Hologram Janeway should be an easy addition, though, as well as show-specific variants of [redacted] and [redacted].

I see three possibly related issues

1) There seems to be some cross promotion between the game and the shows. We've seen Startek.com promote the game in the past. Adding in prodigy risks children too young for STT being directed towards the game.

2) WRG may expect promotional help as part of the contract the sign. If Prodigy won't come with any cross promotion it's possible WRG isn't interested in paying for the license just for its current players.

3) Paramount may have a strict licensing rule. No content from prodigy in any product targeted at adults.

• Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Kim-Novak wrote: »

I can see two potential concerns with Prodigy characters. Adding content from a series with such a young target audience raises some self-evident issues. Even if Paramount is okay with it, there's been a longstanding resistance to introducing adolescent characters into Timelines. For quite awhile an outright ban was surmised until they added Kestra Troi-Riker. Neither of those concerns apply to Lower Decks.

Hologram Janeway should be an easy addition, though, as well as show-specific variants of [redacted] and [redacted].

What about Alexander? He was in game for years. The one that was always missing was Balok for obvious reasons

KDF Alexander is old enough to serve on a Bird-of-Prey, carry weapons, etc. He's no good at any of it, but he's old enough to do it.* A better example is Teenager Nog, who was there at launch. I should have included Nog. That's on me. In any case, even if one counts KDF Alexander, he, too was also in the game at launch. The closest to a child between them and Kestra was Suspiria. Like Balok and his puppet, they made a point to include her Nycene form so we saw more than just her child appearance.

*I still feel that since so much game text indicates that this KDF Alexander accepted Augmentation that he ought to have the Engineered trait and be classified as a Timelines Original. His flavor text doesn't say anything about it, but the mission text throughout Episode 1 and one of the Augments shuttles do.
    AviTrek wrote: »

I see three possibly related issues

1) There seems to be some cross promotion between the game and the shows. We've seen Startek.com promote the game in the past. Adding in prodigy risks children too young for STT being directed towards the game.

2) WRG may expect promotional help as part of the contract the sign. If Prodigy won't come with any cross promotion it's possible WRG isn't interested in paying for the license just for its current players.

3) Paramount may have a strict licensing rule. No content from prodigy in any product targeted at adults.

Yeah, point 1 is one of the "self-evident issues" I alluded to. Points 2 and 3 pertain to the business side of things, and I quit trying to guess along with what contracts might say. Worth noting, I suppose, is that Playmates is releasing Prodigy toys as well as toys based on live action shows and movies. They have to expect retailers will put all those toys together on the aisle, so kids will see Khan and Saru next to Dal and Gwyndala. Commingling concerns clearly aren't going to be an issue for those toys. The terms of service for Timelines stipulate players must be, what? 14? Whether parents pay attention would be something else entirely, though I can't imagine many kids in Prodigy's target audience remaining interested in Timelines particularly long.

As a quasi-back-on-topic aside, my action figure days are behind me but if/when Playmates gets around to Lower Decks, I could see myself getting Tendi. I already know I'll give in whenever they do DS9.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    So then the problem would be Prodigy specific and not that the series is Y7 FV? TAS is PG, which is about the same as the game itself. There is a game Prodigy: Supernova coming later, so I'll likely have that on my Switch or laptop. Maybe we'll see them here in a few years, when the series isn't current anymore. I can wait. I know gambling was an issue that was brought up, but Pokemon has an E rating and has slot machines.
    I always have had trouble with the rating system. I had a teenage sister that loved horror and action movies when I was a preschooler. I think my mom got a call home because my favorite movie at five was JCVD's "Bloodsport". Still kinda is. It's mostly shorthand for parents and, honestly, it depends on the kid. I was allowed to watch things like martial arts movies, James Bond, et c, and I was fine with that..."The Little Mermaid" gave me nightmares for three or four days. Which one had which rating, lol!?
    Oh, well, I'll take what I get. Now that I got my E&D and Cutler, I don't have a major want right now.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    I was allowed to watch things like martial arts movies, James Bond, et c, and I was fine with that..."The Little Mermaid" gave me nightmares for three or four days. Which one had which rating, lol!?

I have three words: Return to Oz.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was allowed to watch things like martial arts movies, James Bond, et c, and I was fine with that..."The Little Mermaid" gave me nightmares for three or four days. Which one had which rating, lol!?

I have three words: Return to Oz.

I bet that movie messed that young lady up more than anything that happened in "The Craft".
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

What about Alexander? He was in game for years. The one that was always missing was Balok for obvious reasons

KDF Alexander is old enough to serve on a Bird-of-Prey, carry weapons, etc. He's no good at any of it, but he's old enough to do it.* A better example is Teenager Nog, who was there at launch. I should have included Nog. That's on me. In any case, even if one counts KDF Alexander, he, too was also in the game at launch. The closest to a child between them and Kestra was Suspiria. Like Balok and his puppet, they made a point to include her Nycene form so we saw more than just her child appearance.
    he's a klingon. They are expected to start fighting before they can speak or are fully potty trained!
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    "The Little Mermaid" gave me nightmares for three or four days. Which one had which rating, lol!?
    watch the Polish Film "The Lure" which is a proper take on The Little Mermaid. Like most fairy tales, it is actually very dark
    The film is something else. It's a horror/love/fantasy/comedy/musical 😂 And the songs are great

• Options
    "The Little Mermaid" gave me nightmares for three or four days. Which one had which rating, lol!?
    watch the Polish Film "The Lure" which is a proper take on The Little Mermaid. Like most fairy tales, it is actually very dark
    The film is something else. It's a horror/love/fantasy/comedy/musical 😂 And the songs are great

I cannot recommend the "modern fairy tales" versions of a lot of the classics by Charles de Lint

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Lint

His version of The Little Mermaid is haunting in more ways than one. I think I read it in one of the "Year's Best" collections. I had seven or eight of those huge things, but lost several in the hurried move after Mom died. Still have four, I think? I always check the Table of Contents first when I get one for de Lint!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year's_Best_Fantasy_and_Horror
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    The whole Oz movie thing is so far from the idea of the actual book, it is comical. The simple act of making the shoes ruby completely ruins the allegory. The shoes are supposed to be SILVER and the whole thing is a parable about the gold and silver backed currency. We talked about it for a good half hour in my "History of the American West" class.
    On an aside-
    (Great class. I "won" the Little Big Horn as my paper topic by having the most original angle and the best reason for wanting it. Prof let me have it because a) I wanted to look at the AFTERMATH from an anthropological standpoint- the differences between officers, enlisted, and Sioux burials and markers, the effect on the public consciousness, et c. and B) I have a relative buried there. Seventh cousin twice removed, at this point in time, but I am related to Benjamin Franklin Wells III {and last}, Farrier, Co. G, Seventh Cavalry.)
    What sticks in your mind is very much a matter of the individual and Ursula the Sea Witch haunted my dreams. Pulling her Happy Meal toy out of the box in the backseat of Mom's '77 Bronco in the dark as part of a very late supper on the go was not a happy memory in the making for five year old me. Two Star Trek novels actually gave me nightmares- TNG's "Gulliver's Fugitive" and DS9's "Time's Enemy". The first one...well, I'm a voracious reader. Limiting my reading is a nightmare. The second one...I just remember falling off the couch when I woke up.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    I might be the only person who doesn't like The Wizard of Oz. Find it sickening

https://youtu.be/WgWe9QVqrl0
  • Options
    edited April 2022

{VIDEO LINK REDACTED}

6wqcp040s2xq.jpg

Okay. I'm both intrigued and a little scairt by that video. I love "Fringy" SciFi/Fantasy. But not sure if I would like that. HBOMax has it, so I could watch it after "Moon Knight". But, I'd say probably 55% Intrigued/45% scairt.

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    deleted, wrong thread
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

{VIDEO LINK REDACTED}

Okay. I'm both intrigued and a little scairt by that video. I love "Fringy" SciFi/Fantasy. But not sure if I would like that. HBOMax has it, so I could watch it after "Moon Knight". But, I'd say probably 55% Intrigued/45% scairt.

Well it is a horror film, oh & gives a totally new meaning to a period 🤣
  • Options
    I'd like to note that I said Return to Oz. Not The Wizard of Oz.
  • Options

The first one was questionable and the sequel sounds a lot like the Tolkien series Amazon is coming out with. It's taking the other works (none of which are wholly set in the Second Age) and extrapolating. I have hopes, but not high ones...
  • Options

{VIDEO LINK REDACTED}

That was a weird one! I always thought they traded their voice for legs. And even knowing where it was going, I was like "That dude is totally trash! He called you all those terrible things and you still sacrificed for him?!?!?" After it went like we knew it would, I was at the sister on the screen "EAT HIM! EAT HIM! HE IS TRASH! EAT HIM! THEN HAVE THE REST OF THE FAMILY FOR DESSERT!"

• Options

The first one was questionable and the sequel sounds a lot like the Tolkien series Amazon is coming out with. It's taking the other works (none of which are wholly set in the Second Age) and extrapolating. I have hopes, but not high ones...
    The Second Oz definitely takes a turn. Some of the characters really translate to being more intense than one expects from Diznee. But, the torture in the "hospital", although a common treatment at the time, is horrifying when you realize she is like ten!
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

{VIDEO LINK REDACTED}

That was a weird one! I always thought they traded their voice for legs. And even knowing where it was going, I was like "That dude is totally trash! He called you all those terrible things and you still sacrificed for him?!?!?" After it went like we knew it would, I was at the sister on the screen "EAT HIM! EAT HIM! HE IS TRASH! EAT HIM! THEN HAVE THE REST OF THE FAMILY FOR DESSERT!"

Yeah, in the original tale, once she gets her legs, the description is like walking on shards of glass. Definitely something Disney left out, not to mention the original ending. Oh
    & if you are trying to get rid of a (supposedly) dead mermaid, the last place to put it is in water
    😂

I love it, blind bought the criterion of it
    And I did say it was out there 😉 but was it good weird?
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    This thread has certainly gone off course! 😛
    Little Mermaid, Wizard of Oz.
    I'm gonna have to go back & see how it derailed
  • Options
    edited April 2022

{VIDEO LINK REDACTED}

Yeah, in the original tale, once she gets her legs, the description is like walking on shards of glass. Definitely something Disney left out, not to mention the original ending. Oh
    & if you are trying to get rid of a (supposedly) dead mermaid, the last place to put it is in water
    😂

I love it, blind bought the criterion of it
    And I did say it was out there 😉 but was it good weird?

Oh, I enjoyed it. Even though my glasses are out of date and reading the dialog made my head try to migraine. And being kind of off-kilter from the infections making out of sorts threw me a couple of times. Especially with the dream sequences.

I thought the lady who found them was actually one of them for a while after that one dream sequence. I was like "How has she hidden all these years?" But then, I was like "Everyone in that bar just seems to accept that two real-life, honest-to-Dog Mermaids showed up and started singing." So I thought maybe that was part of the fantasy. In their world, people KNEW Mermaids and other fantastic creatures were real.
    This thread has certainly gone off course! 😛
    Little Mermaid, Wizard of Oz.
    I'm gonna have to go back & see how it derailed

Not as far afield as some have gotten. Maybe this would fit better if it had skewed in the Rumplestiltskin thread instead. :D:D:D

I gotta add Tanith Lee. For the great modern fantasy writing. I forgot her until I was looking through my "Year's Best Fantasy & Horror". She has a story, as does de Lint, in Volume Two {when it was just "Fantasy". Horror got added later. Somewhere between Volume Two and Volume Five, the next one I have.}

Volume Five has de Lint's "Our Lady of the Harbor", which is his "urban fantasy" version of the "The Little Mermaid".

I like how de Lint and {IIRC} Tanith Lee build worlds with their stories. Recurring characters. Recurring locations.

Reminds me of John Steakley. {He is probably best known, if he is, for his book which John Carpenter turned into "Vampires".|

My three favorite science fiction books, maybe in no particular order are:

"Starship Troopers" by Robert Anson Heinlein
    "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman
    "Armor" by John Steakley

"Armor" actually has a character named "Jack Crow", the same name as James Woods' character in "Vampires".

Anyone who likes science fiction and unexpected twists and turns would likely enjoy "Armor".
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The packs and offers will be very popular. Well done WRG!
  • Options
    He's still the OG of Lower Decks crew

Speaking of, when are we gonna get a TNG O'Brien? Transporter Chief?

Ms. Novak has a point. It took a team to rescue Picard from the Borg & he's the only member of it who doesn't have a character in the game.
  • Options
    To answer Mr. Carlisle's question, Timelines has 4 characters in dress uniform in all.
    Dress Uniform Beverly Crusher
    Dress Uniform Bashir
    Dress Uniform Scotty
    Formal Dress Wesley Crusher
  • Options
    I want a 4* Groom O'Brien (a groom can never top the bride) with him in his TNG era dress uniform. How many in that uniform do we even have? I can't think of any, except Promoted Sisko, maybe.
    To answer Mr. Carlisle's question, Timelines has 4 characters in dress uniform in all.
    Dress Uniform Beverly Crusher
    Dress Uniform Bashir
    Dress Uniform Scotty
    Formal Dress Wesley Crusher

None of those are the three-quarter length, wrap fronted dress coat with the gold braid along the neck and edge, except, ironically, Promoted Sisko, a DS9 character in a NG era uniform. Except for him and Scotty, they are all in the grey shoulder era whites. It is a lovely uniform and I love a nice uniform. I would like to see the TNG era one a bit more though. I want a "Dressed to Impress" vanity collection with a podium or champagne flute avatar.
    And, no big deal really as it happens in person too, but it's Miss or Ms at this age. I don't really pay attention to it anymore, but some people do. I've had mail addressed to "Mr" from about 14. I share my first and last name with my great-uncle and have masculine hobbies and interests- woodworking, military history, and models, so that doesn't help. The middle initials differ. His was L. So, I use my initials and have for decades at this point.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

Ms. Novak has a point. It took a team to rescue Picard from the Borg & he's the only member of it who doesn't have a character in the game.

Also apart from the main crew, O'Brien, Tasha, & Q were the only people to be in the first & last episodes
  • Options

Now I want Rescuer versions of that quartet. Data, Shelby (who ought to have been a 5* in the first place), and Worf from the top pic and Crusher from the second:
    v6alhy0upy5u.jpg
    hjkofru39sog.jpg
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I want Rescuer versions of that quartet. Data, Shelby (who ought to have been a 5* in the first place), and Worf from the top pic and Crusher from the second:
    v6alhy0upy5u.jpg
    hjkofru39sog.jpg

Slight nitpick. That was the failed rescue attempt. It was only Data and Worf in the final rescue mission that brought Picard back. And yes, we should have a 5* Shelby.
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    Well it would have made a lame episode(s) if they had rescued him....