Home Make It So!
Options

Trait Audit Thread (new)

Comments

• Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Fenris Ranger Seven lacks the Pilot trait. Rios complemented her ability at the the end of "Absolute Candor". She was also seen flying a shuttle in "The Raven", after out maneuvering Tuvok. She should get Crafty or Tactician for that one!
    Also, I would suggest Apollo get the Physician trait. It may seem odd for a Greek god, but, considering he is the main deity addressed in the Hippocratic oath, it seems odd to have these people that mostly swore by him to be doctors, but not him.
    " I swear by Apollo Physician, by Asclepias,.... " The EMH recites it in "Darkling".
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Picard and Number One should have the Gambler trait, since in the first episode, he is seen...
    playing poker with Data. Even though it's just a dream, that really shouldn't matter, imo.

EDIT: A case could also be made for his having the Duelist trait, since he...
    gives fencing lessons to young Elnor. :)

I think a case can be made that this specific version of Picard doesn't display either of those things. He's not normally known for being a gambler, so it isn't quite innate for him as it is for, say, Jadzia or Janeway. I also anticipate there being a Duelist Picard from either that scene or later in the same episode. Also, both things were prominently featured in the teaser trailer so I dunno why spoiler tags are necessary for things so vague.
    Picard and Number One -- Federation, Veteran, Canine
    Kamikawa4 wrote: »
    Picard and Number One should.have the hunter trait since Number One catches the bird and brings it back. It would be nice to give the dog some trait and not just the human.

I am all about Number One getting some traits. Plus, it would give Picard and Number One the Hunter trait, which is a total pain to staff in Voyages. It mostly comes up for SEC slots which they don't have, but periodically CMD which they do.
    Hi all, I've been playing for a little while and have noticed a few things:
    Saavik is a half Romulan in the book of Wrath of Khan so adding the Romulan trait

I'm all for it, but given that it was never explicitly established onscreen, it's disputable whether it's canonical. And by that, I mean some of our fellow forum players are certain to dispute it.
    Adding "Caregiver" to Arik Soong as he shows real care and compassion for the Augments in ENT

Caregiver is mostly just a synonym for parent of a minor. The Caretaker has it, though I think that may have been as much for his name as for his paternalistic role over the Ocampa. Now that I think about it, though, it seems weird that The Caretaker is a Caregiver.
    My 1* Will Riker has the "Trill" and "Ambassador" traits. I'm assuming a Tribble in the system as Will is neither a Trill nor an Ambassador.

I'll be damned! Never noticed that!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saavik is a half Romulan in the book of Wrath of Khan so adding the Romulan trait

I'm all for it, but given that it was never explicitly established onscreen, it's disputable whether it's canonical. And by that, I mean some of our fellow forum players are certain to dispute it.

I'll answer that dinner bell! ;) So, it's not just the book, but the original script which had that mention, and according to Memory Alpha, there was even a scene that was filmed which confirmed that — although it later ended up on the cutting room floor...
    The script for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan notes that, "Lt. Saavik is young and beautiful. She is half Vulcan and half Romulan. In appearance she is Vulcan with pointed ears, but her skin is fair and she has none of the expressionless facial immobility of a Vulcan." (Star Trek Magazine issue 155, p. 62) Spock had a line where he stated this fact to Kirk in scene 5 after the Kobayashi Maru test, "She's half Romulan, Jim. The admixture makes her more volatile than – me, for example." Spock's actually filmed line was however trimmed from the scene and not included in either the theatrical version, the 1985 television version or the 2002 Director's Edition DVD release, or on any of their home media formats. The line was included though, in a contemporary (prior to the "Wrath of Khan" moniker addition) promotional short, voiced by William Shatner. [1]

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options

I'll answer that dinner bell! ;) So, it's not just the book, but the original script which had that mention, and according to Memory Alpha, there was even a scene that was filmed which confirmed that — although it later ended up on the cutting room floor...
    The script for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan notes that, "Lt. Saavik is young and beautiful. She is half Vulcan and half Romulan. In appearance she is Vulcan with pointed ears, but her skin is fair and she has none of the expressionless facial immobility of a Vulcan." (Star Trek Magazine issue 155, p. 62) Spock had a line where he stated this fact to Kirk in scene 5 after the Kobayashi Maru test, "She's half Romulan, Jim. The admixture makes her more volatile than – me, for example." Spock's actually filmed line was however trimmed from the scene and not included in either the theatrical version, the 1985 television version or the 2002 Director's Edition DVD release, or on any of their home media formats. The line was included though, in a contemporary (prior to the "Wrath of Khan" moniker addition) promotional short, voiced by William Shatner. [1]

Oh, I knew all that, too. Likewise, a filmed but unused scene from IV established she was pregnant with Spock's baby after having, uh, helped through pon farr in III. But none of it made it onscreen, and the point of delineation between what is and is not canon has always been whether it was shown in the final cut. As I said, I'd support giving her the trait but it isn't canonically legitimate.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I knew all that, too. Likewise, a filmed but unused scene from IV established she was pregnant with Spock's baby after having, uh, helped through pon farr in III. But none of it made it onscreen, and the point of delineation between what is and is not canon has always been whether it was shown in the final cut. As I said, I'd support giving her the trait but it isn't canonically legitimate.

Going with such a strict definition of canon I think would technically mean Nyota Uhura is a non-canon character, given that the Kelvinverse is not represented in the game (never mind the minority opinion that the entirety of the Kelvinverse is itself non-canon) and her first name was never given in the Prime or Mirror universes in any filmed scene.
  • Options

Going with such a strict definition of canon I think would technically mean Nyota Uhura is a non-canon character, given that the Kelvinverse is not represented in the game (never mind the minority opinion that the entirety of the Kelvinverse is itself non-canon) and her first name was never given in the Prime or Mirror universes in any filmed scene.

Unless something unique is going on, TP not having the Kelvinverse license doesn't nullify their canonical status. Like I said, I'm all in favor of giving Saavik the Romulan heritage. I'm not trying to present myself as arbiter of canon. I'm just restating what has been emphasized by writers and producers in interviews I've read or seen throughout my time as a fan. Including an incident that I will only relay in the vaguest of ways in which I had a back and forth with a writer of licensed content about whether something written by a screenwriter directly connected with whatever they wrote that made it to the screen has canonical value; at least quasi-canonical, right? It did not go well, culminating in a third party telling me I was lucky the writer didn't have a bat'leth because they would strike me down where I stood. After that, I was like, "Y'all have fun living in sacrosanct 1996" and skedaddled right the hell on up outta that joint. I'm grateful this forum community has never been that contentious or immature.
  • Options
    FrotexFrotex ✭✭
    Riva should have royalty trait added.

It is explicitly stated in the episode that his deafness is a congenital condition of the royal family of Ramatis III
  • Options
    Fenris Ranger Seven lacks the Pilot trait. Rios complemented her ability at the the end of "Absolute Candor". She was also seen flying a shuttle in "The Raven", after out maneuvering Tuvok. She should get Crafty or Tactician for that one!

I fully agree. Fenris Ranger Seven should be a pilot. Make it so! (and preferably before next week's event .... )

That's Captain Tambourine Man to you.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Cross posting suggestions from coments I made in this weeks event (Need for Speed) discussion:
    Gabrielle Burnham - Should have Section 31, Undercover operative, Federation - and in the possibly category: Caregiver and Desperate.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Dareth - should have Geneticist
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Blast HardcheeseBlast Hardcheese ✭✭✭✭
    Determined Paris should have duelist.
  • Options
    Is this thread still being maintained? I just noticed the last edit on the main post was in 2019....

Captain Level 99

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Is this thread still being maintained? I just noticed the last edit on the main post was in 2019....

Apparently, Lady Gaghgagh hasn't been here since last July. A new curator would seem to be in order.

Edit to add:
    Not "It"!
  • Options

Apparently, Lady Gaghgagh hasn't been here since last July. A new curator would seem to be in order.

Edit to add:
    Not "It"!

I volunteer! :wink:

Captain Level 99

• Options

Edit to add:
    Not "It"!

I volunteer! :wink:

@Shan i actually do volunteer to be thread curator! :smiley:

Captain Level 99

• Options
    On USS Reliant being "Ruthless" -- it depends on who's commanding it when. Since the version in the game has the traits "Federation" (not "Augment") and "Explorer", this suggests it is the Reliant that was under the command of Captain Terrell that went exploring planets looking for a lifeless one on which to test the Genesis device. So "Ruthless" would be totally wrong.

If, on the other hand, it had the "Augment" trait, instead of "Federation" (like the Bounty has the "Federation" trait instead of "Klingon"), to signify that Khan and his crew now control the ship, I think it would be perfectly appropriate to include "Ruthless."

Either way, it should have the trait "Battlecruiser" since the game establishes the Miranda-class as having that trait (which makes sense, when you remember the phaser cannons unique to that design). So, I see two options for the Reliant, depending on whether it is Terrell's ship or Khan's:
    1. Federation, Explorer, Battlecruiser
    2. Augment, Ruthless, Battlecruiser

Since we have plenty of Federation ships in the game and no Augment ships, and this ship was introduced as part of the Augment event, my preference would be to go the Augment route.

have to agree with that as the ship was made legendarly infamous by Khan's use of her as a weapon of revenge against Kirk and the Enterprise
  • Options
    HMS Bounty and the Klingon BoP should have Scout, per Chekov’s line in TSFS.
  • Options
    finally someone suggests Romulan be added back in for poor Shinzon

i'd also add in Desperate and maybe even Tactician for him since he was desperate to ya know....not die and he has all of Picard's tactical knowledge and can match him in ship to ship combat
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Krenim Weapon Ship has "War Veteran" trait. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but it was never actually in a war of any kind, it was just built to "erase" the enemy. Nowhere in the episode did they actually mention being at war (that I recall). If anything, perhaps "warship" better applies.

Second, it has "Historic" trait. I would argue how could it be historic if no one knows about it? (History being constantly changed, as it were)

As a game trait, I would agree that it those traits are needed for Voyages, but don't necessarily belong to this ship.

I would however add "Ruthless", because the Krenim expertly and callously just wipe out anyone they choose.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Crash41 wrote: »
    Why does Shinzon not have the "Romulan" trait? I know he was imprisoned on Remus, but he did kill his way to the top of the Romulan government and commanded a Romulan ship. I was shocked to not see him in the Neutral Zone Collection

I agree with this. He should be in the collection. His card is even offered in the Romulan faction store. The Viceroy found his way in the collection and he isn't technically a Romulan either.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    Why does Shinzon not have the "Romulan" trait? I know he was imprisoned on Remus, but he did kill his way to the top of the Romulan government and commanded a Romulan ship. I was shocked to not see him in the Neutral Zone Collection

Possibly for the same reason that Michael Burnham does not have the “Vulcan” trait?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If not all versions of Michael Burnham, at the very least the Prospect and Graduation versions should have the Vulcan trait.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    Homesteader Janeway needs the gardener trait as she was very clearly seen gardening talaxian tomato’s during that episode, her and chakotay even had a conversation about it.
  • Options
    Came up elsewhere and I dunno if it's been brought up before, but maybe the Gorn Captain and Survivalist Kirk ought to be classified as Athletes. They are pitted against one another in competitive combat, albeit involuntarily. The precedent is Tosk, who is likewise committed to a competitive, sadistic form of hide and seek.

Or alternately, replace Tosk's Athlete with a new Prey trait. That would apply to the Hirogen simulator versions of the VOY crew. I'd then also suggest giving it to Admiral Kirk and Hunter to Wrathful Khan. Speaking of which, Hunter comes up as a Voyage trait way too often given how few there are.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mother L’Rell is missing the ‘Chancellor’ (she didn’t stop being chancellor when she had her child...) and ‘Desperate’ (She was desperate when Kol-Sha took her child and killed her uncle...) traits. would also be very nice if she had ‘Diplomat’ but i won’t push it...
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Blast HardcheeseBlast Hardcheese ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Slick wrote: »

I agree with this. He should be in the collection. His card is even offered in the Romulan faction store. The Viceroy found his way in the collection and he isn't technically a Romulan either.

We've had this problem since the beginning. The crux of it are three particular categories of traits: Species, Faction (or Government) and Military.

For, say, Captain Picard, those would be Human, Federation and Starfleet.

But for, say, Commander Tomalak, those are Romulan, Romulan and Romulan.

This can only really be solved by having new Faction and Military traits for all factions and militaries that currently share the name of a species.

(They already laid some groundwork for this by adding the Engineered trait for genetically modified people and reserving Augment for members of the faction.)

This would make Shinzon the following: Human, Romulan Star Empire, Romulan Guard (might not be the name of the entire Romulan military, but it's the only name we have in cannon).

The only exceptions to this I would see is in membership in a Faction with no specific military force (but that's what the Civilian trait is for) or one where membership in the Faction is identical to membership in its military (Borg Collective).
  • Options
    Edward Larkin is missing Exobiology

Captain Level 99

• Options
    I am thinking "The Artifact" should also have the Romulan trait, since they are the current "owners" in the Picard series (for the majority of the time)
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Narissa is missing ‘Duelist’ ‘Crafty’ and ‘Saboteur’

explanation:
    Duelist: When she dueled with Seven
    Crafty: Telling Narek one thing but actually having a different agenda
    Saboteur: Venting the borg drones into space when Seven activated them

🖖

Captain Level 99

• Options
    Emperor Lippy’s event is this weekend, she’s still missing the traits Cultural Figure, Veteran, Crafty, Duelist, Tactician, Resourceful, among others 🖖

Captain Level 99

• Options
    Ice ManIce Man ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Both of the Amanda Graysons (TOS and TVH versions) are missing the Federation trait.

I think she is also culturally Vulcan (like Burnham), but certainly there can be no argument that she is not a Federation citizen.