Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Ghost in the Machine (rerun) - 11/02 - edited 10/31

Comments

• Options
    Shan wrote: »
    @Shan, does Ilia Probe count as an android?

That crew does not have the Android trait, so no.

Don't want to be antagonistic...but Ilia was actually an android...this is an oversight from DB's part...
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't want to be antagonistic...but Ilia was actually an android...this is an oversight from DB's part...

And I will forward the feedback :)
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have missed it.. do we know yet who the in competition 5 is yet or do we still wait for tomorrow ?
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have missed it.. do we know yet who the in competition 5 is yet or do we still wait for tomorrow ?

You will have to wait until tomorrow to see the rewards in game.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    I'll ask,since it will come up.

Does Arik Song count as a Dr. Soong variant?

No, not the same Soong.

And if you would LIST THE CREW Shan, this question wouldn't be asked

I really don't understand why DB consistently and repeatedly acts incompetently. Why is 'the perfectly obvious' not evident to DB staff?

• Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭

And if you would LIST THE CREW Shan, this question wouldn't be asked

I really don't understand why DB consistently and repeatedly acts incompetently. Why is 'the perfectly obvious' not evident to DB staff?
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    [quote="That’s for sure... that sort of list is easy to get wrong and then everyone will say how can you be so incompetent you can’t even get a simple list right. Well for the past several days, I have seen many posts about the 10 androids and 22 holograms (straight out of the wiki) except that one character is double counted (Hollander having both traits) and lore is already an event crew so double counted there as well. Plus everyone missed Crell Moset who apparently now has hologram (as pointed out by one of my fleet members) and the entire community missed that. So what do we do? Well we fix the wiki and get on with it instead of writing haughty “the wiki keepers are incompetent” posts; which is kind of the way that it should be done.[/quote]

The list is not easy to get wrong unless it is created manually. If it has been created from the mechanism that identifies event crew in the app then the app and list are identical. Moreover mistakes in the list would then directly reflect mistakes in the event (if left uncorrected) which could be corrected before the start of the event.

I didn't say the wiki keepers are incompetent. I said that there may be errors. Errors in Wiki can be identified by a list coming from DB. Crell Moset is an excellent example. Is it in DBs list of event crew? We don't know. Had they listed the crew we could know.

I said that DB is incompetent as the don't have easily implementable measures to verify the veracity of their event crew list. Last week there were three crew members that were miss represented. Easy answer DB list the crew.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were simply by traits and/or tagged version of a characters there might not be as many errors but it is rarely that simple. So there is always some element of “manual” when setting the lists as per this week... Crell is now a hologram so does he count? Ilia is an android and doesn’t have the “trait” so she doesn’t count. Is Arik Soong count as a version of Noonian Soong? Is Lal a version of Data... the answer seems to be sometimes yes and sometimes no. You are correct that a firm list would help identify these issues (hopefully earlier) but we would still be bitching and moaning about why this one and why not that one.

Which gets us back to Dralix Point which is let’s not kid ourselves, the questions would be raised anyway.
  • Options
    Maybe we could do the list and simply address whatever questions are left as they come? Makes sense to me.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    +1 for a list

We still don't know if Arik counts or not. Sometimes ancestors count. Sometimes they do not. A list seems like a no brainer
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for a list

We still don't know if Arik counts or not. Sometimes ancestors count. Sometimes they do not. A list seems like a no brainer

Scroll up. Shan is quoted as saying that Arik does not count.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    +1 for a list

Thank you. It was on page 4. I skimmed looking for post from Shan and missed it.

@Shan_DB Further example of why a list in the first post would be most helpful. Thank you,
  • Options
    Lol now it looks like you missed it on purpose to make your point 😂. That’s okay though it’s a good one.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    +1 for a list

Thank you. It was on page 4. I skimmed looking for post from Shan and missed it.

@Shan_DB Further example of why a list in the first post would be most helpful. Thank you,

Arik being left off a list would not keep you (or any number of other people) from asking if he was accidentally left off.

The fact that the community will never "be content" is probably one of the driving factors in them tightening this down. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't; might as well go the route of least effort and release as little information as late as possible.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for a list

Arik being left off a list would not keep you (or any number of other people) from asking if he was accidentally left off.

The fact that the community will never "be content" is probably one of the driving factors in them tightening this down. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't; might as well go the route of least effort and release as little information as late as possible.

Thats the thing, when it comes to event crew we had about 6 month or so of pretty much contentment with a few outliers except when we had Rikerapalooza. There's a difference between pissing off the fringe and pissing of a larger number of players.
  • Options
    +1 for a list

Really? Because this is actually the first time I have ever asked if a character counts. :o

The weekly "does X count" by players, only started once they abandoned publishing the list. Which is actually more work because if Shan's "let me check on that" is factual then its actually more contact with Devs as she "checks on it"

In almost any project like this doing less work upfront almost always ends up being more work in the end.
  • Options
    DB why didn’t you tell us 2 weeks ago so I could level all my holograms!? ;)
  • Options
    Ace Boogie wrote: »
    DB why didn’t you tell us 2 weeks ago so I could level all my holograms!? ;)

This event first ran a year ago (October 28th). You probably should have seen that coming.
    "The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination."
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    The weekly "does X count" by players, only started once they abandoned publishing the list. Which is actually more work because if Shan's "let me check on that" is factual then its actually more contact with Devs as she "checks on it"

Maybe Alzheimer’s is kicking in for me but did they used to publish explicit crew lists before (like a year ago)? They might have in early days when I wasn’t playing (and there weren’t so many characters) so I don’t know.

I note that they started publishing an explicit list of Characters only the Discovery Mega-event recently with the caveat that this probably wouldn’t be the case going forward. Previously, they used to say “variants of the event crew will provide some bonus” which led to the inevitable does Spock count as Sarek type questions.

So I’m pretty sure that the weekly “does x count” questions predates any explicit list by a long time unless there used to be a list I’m not aware of. In other words, while I am in favor (yes I am agreeing) on publishing an explicit list (like the one post-event on the wiki... heck that one even has pictures of the bonus crew) the original assertion by Dralix stands... by all means let’s have a list but the questions about “does x count” wouldn’t stop because we would just assume that they “accidentally” or “incompetently” missed x character off the list.

• Options

She is an android. Therefore suggestion: please count her as bonus crew since she's an android, keeping in mind to add it to her traits officially in the next update.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Alzheimer’s is kicking in for me but did they used to publish explicit crew lists before (like a year ago)? They might have in early days when I wasn’t playing (and there weren’t so many characters) so I don’t know.

I note that they started publishing an explicit list of Characters only the Discovery Mega-event recently with the caveat that this probably wouldn’t be the case going forward. Previously, they used to say “variants of the event crew will provide some bonus” which led to the inevitable does Spock count as Sarek type questions.

So I’m pretty sure that the weekly “does x count” questions predates any explicit list by a long time unless there used to be a list I’m not aware of. In other words, while I am in favor (yes I am agreeing) on publishing an explicit list (like the one post-event on the wiki... heck that one even has pictures of the bonus crew) the original assertion by Dralix stands... by all means let’s have a list but the questions about “does x count” wouldn’t stop because we would just assume that they “accidentally” or “incompetently” missed x character off the list.

A year ago we didn't get notice about upcoming events. Correction: we had JUST started getting them.

The only event I remember an explicit list for was the Captains event early this year (The Sulu/Harriman/Bateman one) up til this Discovery event.
  • Options

She is an android. Therefore suggestion: please count her as bonus crew since she's an android, keeping in mind to add it to her traits officially in the next update.

I've noticed this too.

Ilia Probe is a Humanoid Machine often referred to as an "android." So it appears she is lacking that trait.

Wouldn't Automated Unit 3947, also a Humanoid Machine, technically be an android missing the trait? (But it has the oh so useful "automated unit" trait)
  • Options
    Its not like we alread have enough Bonus crew for this event, right? *rolleyes*
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Event notes have been posted.
    And we did a make a change for Ilia Probe and added the Android trait.

Thank you for the expedient attention on this.

• Options
    Dang, I assumed Arik Soong would be alternate event crew for Dr. Soong so just finished getting him FF/FE. Alas. :'(
  • Options
    Event notes have been posted.
    And we did a make a change for Ilia Probe and added the Android trait.

Wow thank you for updating that so quickly!!

Now to give all versions of The Doctor their "doctor" trait. ;) etc (there is a good thread going in Make It So about traits missed/to be added.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some stats:
    Ruk

FE 1/4 level 100

ENG 397 (82-249)
    SEC 613 (102-215)
    SCI 222 (74-160)