Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Ghost in the Machine (rerun) - 11/02 - edited 10/31

Comments

• Options
    Ace BoogieAce Boogie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ace Boogie wrote: »
    DB why didn’t you tell us 2 weeks ago so I could level all my holograms!? ;)

This event first ran a year ago (October 28th). You probably should have seen that coming.

They never release info 2 weeks early. I was clearly joking. Did you notice the wink?

Seems like this forum has no room for levity. Most posts are complaints or know it alls talking <snip> ˜Shan

• Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    4507gt175v10.png

Even though I’m never going to rank there, @shan is there something wrong with the rank 2-3 5x3* portal reward as it is there for rank one and 4-10 but disappears for 2-3.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I’m never going to rank there, @shan is there something wrong with the rank 2-3 5x3* portal reward as it is there for rank one and 4-10 but disappears for 2-3.

Consider 5 1x pulls to be half of a 10x pull.

Rank 1 - 2.5-10x pulls
    Rank 2-3 - 2-10x pulls
    Rank 4-10 - 1.5-10x pulls
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »

Consider 5 1x pulls to be half of a 10x pull.

Rank 1 - 2.5-10x pulls
    Rank 2-3 - 2-10x pulls
    Rank 4-10 - 1.5-10x pulls

OK, that makes a lot of sense... thx
  • Options
    The weekly "does X count" by players, only started once they abandoned publishing the list. Which is actually more work because if Shan's "let me check on that" is factual then its actually more contact with Devs as she "checks on it"

Maybe Alzheimer’s is kicking in for me but did they used to publish explicit crew lists before (like a year ago)? They might have in early days when I wasn’t playing (and there weren’t so many characters) so I don’t know.

I note that they started publishing an explicit list of Characters only the Discovery Mega-event recently with the caveat that this probably wouldn’t be the case going forward. Previously, they used to say “variants of the event crew will provide some bonus” which led to the inevitable does Spock count as Sarek type questions.

So I’m pretty sure that the weekly “does x count” questions predates any explicit list by a long time unless there used to be a list I’m not aware of. In other words, while I am in favor (yes I am agreeing) on publishing an explicit list (like the one post-event on the wiki... heck that one even has pictures of the bonus crew) the original assertion by Dralix stands... by all means let’s have a list but the questions about “does x count” wouldn’t stop because we would just assume that they “accidentally” or “incompetently” missed x character off the list.

Yes, It was probably before you started playing. I cannot say exactly when it stopped. But here is a link I pulled up from the event page on the wiki. The Event featured Data and Chekov. Seem pretty straight forward who the bonus crew should be but regardless a list was published anyway. Also I remember a list was published when all Klingons and all Ferengi received a bonus too. Because people like Mirror Intendant Kira have Klingon as trait and a player may not know that. I remember leveling her after the list came out.

In an event like this where all holograms get a bonus I'm not going to level Crell Moset because he's not...oh wait after almost two years he's finally got the Hologram trait. Should I level him? Did he get the trait in time for the event? If they just copy pasted the code from last time he might be left off. Let me check the list that should come straight from the Devs. Oh never mind.

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewannounce/52247_50/

***Thank you the wiki people for archiving this link on the event page.
  • Options
    Hooray, another faction event for the people who spend money that insist it is the superior event type, stockpiling more rewards while those of us who don't spend get a few more worthless scraps.

I wouldn't mind faction events if they were tuned so that they could even be COMPLETED by those of us who don't spend. And I don't even mean "get the final merit reward" completed - just get the final item reward. I don't care about ranking in the 5* ranks, because that's obviously exclusively for people who have dumped money.

And I don't even want to hear you guys pretend you can do these comfortably without spending. Case in point: last week's Discovery faction event. That was the absolute best case scenario for a faction event: up to that point, we were able to acquire and fully max out multiple 4* bonus crew, and get 4/5 of a 5* bonus crew. Further, because the weeks preceding it had been chrono or hybrid events, we were able to stockpile a large number of shuttle bonuses from cadet missions.

If faction events were tuned well, it should have been an easy complete. Instead, despite maximizing volume through speed bonuses at the latter half of the event, and being able to nearly fully equip every shuttle with epic or legendary bonus crew - as well as our squadron leader's shared 5/5 bonus T'Kuvma - I barely squeaked by the last item reward in the last hours of the final day. The merit reward was far out of reach, and I can count on one hand the number of missions I failed. Faction events are simply for people who spend, either by spending now or having spent in the past to acquire shuttles and crew more likely to fit the events.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some hate galaxy, some hate faction, nearly everyone hates expedition (ok, that was tongue in cheek). That's why there is a mix. Feel free to ignore the ones you don't like.
  • Options
    Feel free to ignore the ones you don't like.

I agree in principle, but considering DB's recent layoffs perhaps the "you don't have to play" meta strategy is not a sustainable business model?
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Jorymask wrote: »
    Hooray, another faction event for the people who spend money that insist it is the superior event type, stockpiling more rewards while those of us who don't spend get a few more worthless scraps.

I wouldn't mind faction events if they were tuned so that they could even be COMPLETED by those of us who don't spend. And I don't even mean "get the final merit reward" completed - just get the final item reward. I don't care about ranking in the 5* ranks, because that's obviously exclusively for people who have dumped money.

And I don't even want to hear you guys pretend you can do these comfortably without spending. Case in point: last week's Discovery faction event. That was the absolute best case scenario for a faction event: up to that point, we were able to acquire and fully max out multiple 4* bonus crew, and get 4/5 of a 5* bonus crew. Further, because the weeks preceding it had been chrono or hybrid events, we were able to stockpile a large number of shuttle bonuses from cadet missions.

If faction events were tuned well, it should have been an easy complete. Instead, despite maximizing volume through speed bonuses at the latter half of the event, and being able to nearly fully equip every shuttle with epic or legendary bonus crew - as well as our squadron leader's shared 5/5 bonus T'Kuvma - I barely squeaked by the last item reward in the last hours of the final day. The merit reward was far out of reach, and I can count on one hand the number of missions I failed. Faction events are simply for people who spend, either by spending now or having spent in the past to acquire shuttles and crew more likely to fit the events.

You do know that you can get dilithium without spending to get shuttles? Achievement tab is your friend.

It does (for most) usually take getting some more shuttles these days to compete in the factions. (I know some have done well with 2 or 3 but to maximize the potential 4 is really needed.) As far as spending, the fact you can have both shuttles for 8$ if you are patient and haven't hit the achievements yet. (2 monthly cards).

So please, the rant on it being PTW... if spending $8 is being a whaling amount of a mess in your eyes, I think you need some perspective adjustments.

Now voyages have given folks other options on Galaxies, but you've got folks dumping even more cash into Chrons to get even further, especially when the 9.95 chron deal hits. Otherwise you pretty much have to suspend other gameplay for days to prepare. Some folks do both.

Realistically, there are purposes for both, and both have advantages if you spend cash.

I actually enjoy both, (though Galaxies in limited doses so i can restock without losing ability to level characters.)
  • Options
    Just because you are lazy to level your crew to 100 is why you don't like faction events ? Too bad so sad waste your chronos in galaxy then. I love seeing the chronos 9.95 for 1250 chronos is a good deal I leveled more of my crew with them .
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree in principle, but considering DB's recent layoffs perhaps the "you don't have to play" meta strategy is not a sustainable business model?

It's up to DB to make the events interesting to the player base, not us to commit to every event to keep their lights on.
  • Options
    Jorymask wrote: »
    Faction events are simply for people who spend, either by spending now or having spent in the past to acquire shuttles and crew more likely to fit the events.

What would you have us do? Forfeit all the progress we've made before you started playing? It's neither fair nor reasonable to attack other players for having invested time and/or money in their crews. And yes, it is demonstrably true that one can become competitive in this game while remaining strictly F2P/VIP 0. I should know; I played for my first entire year that way. It does require patience, though.
  • Options
    Jorymask, playing a VIP0 is difficult, but rewarding. You simply need to be very meticulous and develop a certain mindset - start from the bottom up and know which crew to aorlock, which to keep and which to immortalize. It's best to refer to guides on how to play like that - diving headlong as a F2P in a game that's been around for years and start assuming stuff is the worst way to play.

There are guides and tons of tips on the forum here, including my guide on steam. Try reading some, implement their tips in your game, and you will be competitive in both events and the gauntlet in 4 months or so even if you start from scratch. And as Odo says "Luck had nothing to do with it".
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    If it were simply by traits and/or tagged version of a characters there might not be as many errors but it is rarely that simple. So there is always some element of “manual” when setting the lists as per this week... Crell is now a hologram so does he count? Ilia is an android and doesn’t have the “trait” so she doesn’t count. Is Arik Soong count as a version of Noonian Soong? Is Lal a version of Data... the answer seems to be sometimes yes and sometimes no. You are correct that a firm list would help identify these issues (hopefully earlier) but we would still be bitching and moaning about why this one and why not that one.

Which gets us back to Dralix Point which is let’s not kid ourselves, the questions would be raised anyway.

I do not have a problem reading posts as to whether so and so should be included or not. It is healthy debate and enjoyable to read. DB can also read it and make changes if they wish.

Automated Unit 3947 is a version of APU 3947 from the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Prototype". Its traits are "Automated Unit, Desperate, Quantum Mechanics". I think it should also have the trait android. Definition of android; :a mobile robot usually with a human form.

Please comment on whether you think if Automated Unit 3947 should have the android trait and why?
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    Holograms:
    • ★★★★ Admiral Picard:cmd::dip::sci:
    • ★★★★ Anastasia Komananov:dip::sec:
    • ★★★★ Author Doctor:dip::med:
    • ★★★★ Command Hologram:cmd::sec::med:
    • ★★★★ Cyrus Redblock:cmd::dip::sec:
    • ★★★★ Danara Pel:sci::med:
    • ★★★★★ Doctor Chaotica:cmd::sci:
    • ★★★★ Dr. Hippocrates Noah:dip::sci::med:
    • ★★★★ Duchamps:cmd::dip::sec:
    • ★★★★★ Falcon O'Brien:cmd::eng::sec:
    • ★★★★★ Frank Hollander:cmd::sec:
    • ★★★★★ Goddess of Empathy Troi:dip::med:
    • ★★★ Holodeck 3 Dr. Brahms:eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Hologram Barclay:eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Holonovel Doctor:sci::med:
    • ★★★★★ Mobile Doctor:dip::sci::med:
    • ★★★★★ Musketeer La Forge:cmd::eng::sec:
    • ★★★★ The President of Earth:cmd::dip::med:
    • ★★★★★ The Professor:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Vic Fontaine:dip::med:
    • ★★★★ Warship Chakotay:cmd::sec:
    • ★★★★ Warship Janeway:cmd::sec::sci:

Androids:
    • ★★★★★ Detective Data:eng::sec::sci:
    • ★★★★★ Emotion Chip Data:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Lal:dip::eng:
    • ★★★★ Lore:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★ Lt Commander Data:eng::sec::sci:
    • ★★★★ Prospero Data:cmd::dip::eng:
    • ★★★★★ Romulan Data:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★★★★ Tempted Data:dip::eng::sec:
    • ★★★★★ The One, Lore:cmd::eng::sci:

This list does not include Lila Probe whom has the trait android. That's because this list is out of date. Some therefore may not notice that their Lila Probe is event crew.

Having DB list event crew, would render it editable by DB in their OP instead if this, now obsolete post, possibly confusing people. People would not have to trawl through an entire thread for updates.

The problem with trying to convince DB, that the best practice is to list the crew, is that they do not explain their rationale for withholding this information, nor do we know whom is making the decision.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMM wrote: »
    Holograms:
    • ★★★★ Admiral Picard:cmd::dip::sci:
    • ★★★★ Anastasia Komananov:dip::sec:
    • ★★★★ Author Doctor:dip::med:
    • ★★★★ Command Hologram:cmd::sec::med:
    • ★★★★ Cyrus Redblock:cmd::dip::sec:
    • ★★★★ Danara Pel:sci::med:
    • ★★★★★ Doctor Chaotica:cmd::sci:
    • ★★★★ Dr. Hippocrates Noah:dip::sci::med:
    • ★★★★ Duchamps:cmd::dip::sec:
    • ★★★★★ Falcon O'Brien:cmd::eng::sec:
    • ★★★★★ Goddess of Empathy Troi:dip::med:
    • ★★★ Holodeck 3 Dr. Brahms:eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Hologram Barclay:eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Holonovel Doctor:sci::med:
    • ★★★★★ Mobile Doctor:dip::sci::med:
    • ★★★★★ Musketeer La Forge:cmd::eng::sec:
    • ★★★★ The President of Earth:cmd::dip::med:
    • ★★★★★ The Professor:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Vic Fontaine:dip::med:
    • ★★★★ Warship Chakotay:cmd::sec:
    • ★★★★ Warship Janeway:cmd::sec::sci:

Androids:
    • ★★★★★ Detective Data:eng::sec::sci:
    • ★★★★★ Emotion Chip Data:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★★★ Lal:dip::eng:
    • ★★★★ Lore:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★ Lt Commander Data:eng::sec::sci:
    • ★★★★ Prospero Data:cmd::dip::eng:
    • ★★★★★ Romulan Data:dip::eng::sci:
    • ★★★★★ Tempted Data:dip::eng::sec:
    • ★★★★★ The One, Lore:cmd::eng::sci:

This list does not include Lila Probe whom has the trait android. That's because this list is out of date. Some therefore may not notice that their Lila Probe is event crew.

Having DB list event crew, would render it editable by DB in their OP instead if this, now obsolete post, possibly confusing people. People would not have to trawl through an entire thread for updates.

The problem with trying to convince DB, that the best practice is to list the crew, is that they do not explain their rationale for withholding this information, nor do we know whom is making the decision.

Somehow, I think people will notice that their Ilia is sorted to the top of their list and says bonus in big shiny letters. People aren't nearly as stupid as you make them out to be.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    I believe that someone told Shan that the event crew list (assignments) could not be released because someone was reviewing traits. Further I believe that someone said going forward, we need that few days 'reserved' to be able to make changes.

This is the wrong approach.

The correct approach is that the Event Crew should be assigned as per the previous schedule. Changes that would render a previously published event crew member to no longer be eligible would be considered for removal. Normal practice would be that it would not be removed.

This approach would also be consistent with the promise made to the players by DB.
  • Options
    "SMM wrote: »

Please comment on whether you think if Automated Unit 3947 should have the android trait and why?

No.
    I don't think he "looks like" an android.
    Totally subjective.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    [quote="Paund Skumm;c-9043

Somehow, I think people will notice that their Ilia is sorted to the top of their list and says bonus in big shiny letters. People aren't nearly as stupid as you make them out to be.

The post quoted was prior to the start of the event where there was no sorted list and no bonus in big shiny letters.

Please do not infer my intentions and then comment in that manner. It is patronising, condescending and borderline abusive as the premise of your assertion is wrong.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    +1 for a list

We still don't know if Arik counts or not. Sometimes ancestors count. Sometimes they do not. A list seems like a no brainer

Scroll up. Shan is quoted as saying that Arik does not count.

Yes she did. How many pages of posts should people have to read to find this information? Why is this info not in the OP?
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Shan wrote: »
    @Shan, does Ilia Probe count as an android?

That crew does not have the Android trait, so no.

However, my Ilia is getting a bonus. So yes. A probe I suppose is kind of an android in Ilia's case.

43f48p2jif58.png
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for a list

We still don't know if Arik counts or not. Sometimes ancestors count. Sometimes they do not. A list seems like a no brainer

Yes she did. How many pages of posts should people have to read to find this information? Why is this info not in the OP?

Why would Arik count anyway? He's not a Hologram or an Android.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for a list

Nor is Arik a variant, just as Sarek is not a variant of Spock 🖖🏻 , nor Sela of Yar, et cetera. Relatives or family members are not variants, as far as I know.

"In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relatives or family members are not variants

Unless we ever get Bashir's great-grandfather.
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

It's up to DB to make the events interesting to the player base, not us to commit to every event to keep their lights on.

Well said.
  • Options
    +1 for a list

Nor is Arik a variant, just as Sarek is not a variant of Spock 🖖🏻 , nor Sela of Yar, et cetera. Relatives or family members are not variants, as far as I know.

DB has been inconsistent about which events allow for family members to be variants and which ones are not.

Funny you should mention Sela/Yar:

The Falcon Fails: Commander Sela is featured crew and all Tasha Yar variants are bonus crew.

Other examples:

Homestead: Lal is featured crew and all Datas are bonus crew

Retrograde: T'Mir is featured crew and all T'Pols are bonus crew

Gates of Hell: Miral Torres is featured crew and all B'Elanna Torreses are bonus crew
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    @Shan, does Ilia Probe count as an android?

That crew does not have the Android trait, so no.

However, my Ilia is getting a bonus. So yes. A probe I suppose is kind of an android in Ilia's case.

It's understandable that you would've missed this, since information regarding this event has kind of been spread all over the place, but as per this thread:
    Change: We have added the Android trait to Ilia Probe.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for a list

DB has been inconsistent about which events allow for family members to be variants and which ones are not.

The Falcon Fails: Commander Sela is featured crew and all Tasha Yar variants are bonus crew.

Other examples:

Gates of Hell: Miral Torres is featured crew and all B'Elanna Torreses are bonus crew

I was wrong. Thank you for pointing those out. So, um, yeah, a little consistency from DB would not go amiss, would it?

*snorts milk through nose*
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    If it were simply by traits and/or tagged version of a characters there might not be as many errors but it is rarely that simple. So there is always some element of “manual” when setting the lists as per this week... Crell is now a hologram so does he count? Ilia is an android and doesn’t have the “trait” so she doesn’t count. Is Arik Soong count as a version of Noonian Soong? Is Lal a version of Data... the answer seems to be sometimes yes and sometimes no. You are correct that a firm list would help identify these issues (hopefully earlier) but we would still be bitching and moaning about why this one and why not that one.

Which gets us back to Dralix Point which is let’s not kid ourselves, the questions would be raised anyway.

I do not have a problem reading posts as to whether so and so should be included or not. It is healthy debate and enjoyable to read. DB can also read it and make changes if they wish.

Automated Unit 3947 is a version of APU 3947 from the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Prototype". Its traits are "Automated Unit, Desperate, Quantum Mechanics". I think it should also have the trait android. Definition of android; :a mobile robot usually with a human form.

My point was in response to a claim that having a list would eliminate the debate whether so and so should be included. It is clear it would not as even with a list we would still debate this.

I also made it clear that having said this, I am in favor of having an explicit list of bonus characters, preferably earlier so we can debate it. In this case, Ilia Probe was added at the last minute because of this despite an earlier reply from Shan that she wouldn’t be because she didn’t have the android trait (it was subsequently added last minute). I unfortunately am still leveling Ilia Probe now a day into the event and am using her for my shuttles but more notice would have been nice.

As for AU 3947, it is debatable but as it has roughly human form, it probably does qualify as an android but clearly not one that could “pass” as human... but you could make that same argument about data as well. Nonetheless, I’m not upset one way or another if AU 3947 is not included for the event (possibly because I don’t have one anyways 😇)
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    [quote="[DB-DO BETTER]DB has been inconsistent about which events allow for family members to be variants and which ones are not.

Other examples:

[/quote]

Just to elaborate, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't an active player at the time of some of these earlier events, here are some further details about events in which bonus crews have been expanded to include characters related to someone in the featured crew. Here were the rest of the featured crews for the events named above:

"The Falcon Falls" - Mintakan Riker, Ambassador Spock
    "Homestead" - Mirror Bashir, Vedek Bareil Antos; only Bashir has other personae
    "Retrograde" - Laborer Spock, Lieutenant Arex Na Eth; only Spock has other personae
    "Gates of Hell" - Trader Worf, Commander Barak; only Worf has other personae

There are also these other events with expanded bonus crews:

"Rule 125" - Captain Nog, Pel, Klingon Quark were the featured crew. Nog had two non-featured personae, but both were cadets. For this event, all crew members with the Ferengi trait were given a bonus.

"The Captain's Oath" - Captain Morgan Bateson, Captain John Harriman, and Captain Sulu were the featured crew. Only Sulu has any other personae. All Starfleet captains were given a bonus, which I believe is the most generous expansion of event bonuses to date.

"Extinction Point" - Stranded Odo, Laas, Scientist Degra were the featured crew. Only Odo has any other personae. All Dominion crew members were given a bonus.

"Our Thoughts Combined" - Ilia Probe, Author Doctor, Ambassador Sarek were the featured crew. Only The Doctor had any additional personae at that time. All Spocks were given a bonus as supplements for Sarek.

I think when you look at all eight of these events, there is a fairly clear consistency to be found. To come back to Yar/Sela as a microcosm of all this, Yar herself has only featured in one event to date ("The Second Battle of New York" and its replay). Sela did not qualify for the bonus as a variant of Yar, but it did also feature Bashir, Mayweather, and O'Brien, so there was a pretty generous assortment of bonus-eligible crew members available.