Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Ghost in the Machine (rerun) - 11/02 - edited 10/31

Comments

• Options
    My point was in response to a claim that having a list would eliminate the debate whether so and so should be included. It is clear it would not as even with a list we would still debate this.

No, the claim was not about debate. The primary purpose of the list would be so we know who to level or unfreeze or both depending on your chosen game play style. Answering the question of “does X count” with a list would be for that reason. Not ending/preventing debate.

This is the internet. Eliminating debate is not possible. DB would be better off taking on something less difficult, like world peace.

Shan answered the question of “does Arik Soong count”. With the answer “no he is not a variant of Noonien Soong”. As if it was obvious. Well just a few weeks ago T’Pol counted in the T’Mir event. So in one event the relatives counted and just a few weeks later relatives do not count. pzzz obviously

A sentence saying variants of crew get a bonus without specifically listing who is a variant is useless when they keep changing what counts as a variant from week to week.

• Options
    @Travis S McClain yes, you’re right. It makes much more sense that players should go back and study past events to figure out DB’s patterns. That’s a lot better than the proposed alternatives. :|
  • Options
    [quote="[DB-DO BETTER]DB has been inconsistent about which events allow for family members to be variants and which ones are not.

Funny you should mention Sela/Yar:

The Falcon Fails: Commander Sela is featured crew and all Tasha Yar variants are bonus crew.

Other examples:

Homestead: Lal is featured crew and all Datas are bonus crew

Retrograde: T'Mir is featured crew and all T'Pols are bonus crew

Gates of Hell: Miral Torres is featured crew and all B'Elanna Torreses are bonus crew

Just to elaborate, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't an active player at the time of some of these earlier events, here are some further details about events in which bonus crews have been expanded to include characters related to someone in the featured crew. Here were the rest of the featured crews for the events named above:

"The Falcon Falls" - Mintakan Riker, Ambassador Spock
    "Homestead" - Mirror Bashir, Vedek Bareil Antos; only Bashir has other personae
    "Retrograde" - Laborer Spock, Lieutenant Arex Na Eth; only Spock has other personae
    "Gates of Hell" - Trader Worf, Commander Barak; only Worf has other personae

There are also these other events with expanded bonus crews:

"Rule 125" - Captain Nog, Pel, Klingon Quark were the featured crew. Nog had two non-featured personae, but both were cadets. For this event, all crew members with the Ferengi trait were given a bonus.

"The Captain's Oath" - Captain Morgan Bateson, Captain John Harriman, and Captain Sulu were the featured crew. Only Sulu has any other personae. All Starfleet captains were given a bonus, which I believe is the most generous expansion of event bonuses to date.

"Extinction Point" - Stranded Odo, Laas, Scientist Degra were the featured crew. Only Odo has any other personae. All Dominion crew members were given a bonus.

"Our Thoughts Combined" - Ilia Probe, Author Doctor, Ambassador Sarek were the featured crew. Only The Doctor had any additional personae at that time. All Spocks were given a bonus as supplements for Sarek.

I think when you look at all eight of these events, there is a fairly clear consistency to be found. To come back to Yar/Sela as a microcosm of all this, Yar herself has only featured in one event to date ("The Second Battle of New York" and its replay). Sela did not qualify for the bonus as a variant of Yar, but it did also feature Bashir, Mayweather, and O'Brien, so there was a pretty generous assortment of bonus-eligible crew members available.[/quote]

@Travis - I'm not sure I'm following your premise here. I was talking about inconsistencies where DB has allowed related characters to count as bonus variants. This contrasts all other events where only the specific character is allowed as bonus such as The Isthmian Games where Writer Jake and Prospero Data were featured crew but Benjamin Siskos/Lals/Soongs were not granted family/descendants/ancestors variant status.

I was not talking about expanded bonus crew such as all androids/holograms, all vulcans, all klingons, etc.

Point being: sometimes DB adds related characters, sometimes they don't. Until they make it all or nothing or they start sending out explicit bonus crew lists, there will always be questions asking, "will XXX count as a bonus crew?"
  • Options
    @Travis S McClain yes, you’re right. It makes much more sense that players should go back and study past events to figure out DB’s patterns. That’s a lot better than the proposed alternatives. :|

I wasn't saying anything to the effect of "Ignore all proposed alternatives and just study past events," so that's a confusing criticism. All I did was elaborate on a post in which someone else brought up past events but did not provide full information. Shan has been clear all along that the entire reason that bonus crews are expanded from time to time to include tangential characters is because otherwise, the pool of eligible crew members is considered too small. Any claim that we can't guess along with DB to some reasonable extent willfully ignores that.

If all you knew about "Homestead" was that T'Pols counted because T'Mir was in the featured crew, it is a legitimate question to wonder why that was. It's also implicitly answered by looking at the rest of that event's featured crew, Spock and Arex, the latter of whom has no other personae. That would have left an event with just Spocks being eligible for the event bonus. When you know that--which the person I quoted from did not provide--it does become more self-evident why in that instance, they expanded the bonus crew to include T'Pol.
  • Options
    My point was in response to a claim that having a list would eliminate the debate whether so and so should be included. It is clear it would not as even with a list we would still debate this.

No, the claim was not about debate. The primary purpose of the list would be so we know who to level or unfreeze or both depending on your chosen game play style. Answering the question of “does X count” with a list would be for that reason. Not ending/preventing debate.

This is the internet. Eliminating debate is not possible. DB would be better off taking on something less difficult, like world peace.

Shan answered the question of “does Arik Soong count”. With the answer “no he is not a variant of Noonien Soong”. As if it was obvious. Well just a few weeks ago T’Pol counted in the T’Mir event. So in one event the relatives counted and just a few weeks later relatives do not count. pzzz obviously

A sentence saying variants of crew get a bonus without specifically listing who is a variant is useless when they keep changing what counts as a variant from week to week.

Well said. captures my point succinctly.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no disagreement from me on all these points; I wholeheartedly agree... but the claim was originally (for my post and to which I was replying to) that a list would eliminate the need for questions and/or debate (see below)... which we have seen from this thread, it clearly does not.
    SMM wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    I'll ask,since it will come up.

Does Arik Song count as a Dr. Soong variant?

No, not the same Soong.

And if you would LIST THE CREW Shan, this question wouldn't be asked

I really don't understand why DB consistently and repeatedly acts incompetently. Why is 'the perfectly obvious' not evident to DB staff?
    @Shan, does Ilia Probe count as an android?

That crew does not have the Android trait, so no.

I really don't understand why DB consistently and repeatedly acts incompetently. Why is 'the perfectly obvious' not evident to DB staff?
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no disagreement from me on all these points; I wholeheartedly agree... but the claim was originally (for my post and to which I was replying to) that a list would eliminate the need for questions and/or debate (see below)... which we have seen from this thread, it clearly does not.
    I'll ask,since it will come up.

Does Arik Song count as a Dr. Soong variant?

No, not the same Soong.

@Shan, does Ilia Probe count as an android?

That crew does not have the Android trait, so no.

The thing is, you'll never eliminate, but can you minimize the back and forth by doing the full list? To me that is the question.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it a bit odd that Winn was not available in the ranking, or either package for purchase this go around. I was prepared to spend 50$ simply because I really wanted her even though she is ghastly terrible for a legendary outside the gauntlet. I appreciate the money back in my pocket, but I lost a bit of steam for this rerun I was kinda psyched for all week.
  • Options
    Please comment on whether you think if Automated Unit 3947 should have the android trait and why?

Yes, it should, that is very clearly how it was portrayed in the episode (at least as much so as Ilia Probe anyway). At one point, they even compared it specifically to Data.

By definition, APU 3947 is clearly an android and should have that trait in the game.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    +1 for a list

We still don't know if Arik counts or not. Sometimes ancestors count. Sometimes they do not. A list seems like a no brainer

Scroll up. Shan is quoted as saying that Arik does not count.

Yes she did. How many pages of posts should people have to read to find this information? Why is this info not in the OP?

Why would Arik count anyway? He's not a Hologram or an Android.

Nor is Arik a variant, just as Sarek is not a variant of Spock 🖖🏻 , nor Sela of Yar, et cetera. Relatives or family members are not variants, as far as I know.

DB has been inconsistent about which events allow for family members to be variants and which ones are not.

The Falcon Fails: Commander Sela is featured crew and all Tasha Yar variants are bonus crew.

Other examples:

Gates of Hell: Miral Torres is featured crew and all B'Elanna Torreses are bonus crew

The only time I've noticed DB to count family as bonus, is when a character comes out who would have no variants to offer for bonus otherwise.

Miral Torres had no variants to offer, so B'Elanna was the proxy variant.
    Lal had no variants, so Data was the proxy.
    T'Mir had no variants, so T'Pol was the proxy.
    Sela had no variants, so Yar was the proxy.
    When it comes to Yar, Sela often acts as a bonus because Yar herself has so few variants.
    Sarek when he first came out, had no variants, so Spock was a proxy.
    Lwaxana's proxy would clearly be Deanna, but I don't think Ambassador Troi was an event character.

Honestly, you act as if it is inconsistent, but it makes perfect sense to me. It is actually all too predictable to me when family will act as a variant.

Just like if we ever got T'Les, you can bet money that T'Pol will act as a variant, T'Mir quite possibly will too.
    If we ever got Lorian, you can bet money that both T'Pol and Trip will act as variants.
    If we ever got Miral Paris, you can bet money that Tom and B'Elanna will act as variants, Miral Torres quite possibly could too. It's a bit harder to tell when the relationship is removed more than one generation.

Now when a familiar relationship has two people who grow into having many variants, then the familial proxy will be less likely to occur. For example, I'm unsure if Bev will count as proxy for Wesley anymore because we have 5 version of him, that's more than enough versions to stand on his own.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Arik Soong then should obviously count as a variant of Dr. Soong because there are no variants of Dr. Soong. If T'Pol counts for T'Mir then it's self-evident that Arik should count for Noonien.

Also AU3947 is obviously an android. I have no idea why AU3947 doesn't have the android trait.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clanof wrote: »
    Arik Soong then should obviously count as a variant of Dr. Soong because there are no variants of Dr. Soong. If T'Pol counts for T'Mir then it's self-evident that Arik should count for Noonien.

It's not just about whether a given featured crew has any variants. It's whether the event has enough bonus crew. In this case, all holograms and all androids is plenty.

• Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Clanof wrote: »

Also AU3947 is obviously an android. I have no idea why AU3947 doesn't have the android trait.

Not quite on Arik. Because Arik is very far removed generationally from Noonian. Arik is about 5 generations or more to Noonian, assuming that a generation for humans is about 30 years. Arik was alive in 2154, Noonian wasn't alive until the 2300s. Data and Lore on the other hand are a one-generation removal from Noonian.

T'Mir is only three generations removed from T'Pol because a generation of Vulcans is larger than that of humans, and there was no T'Les to breach the gap between T'Pol and T'Mir, so T'Pol was the closest possible relative.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Also posting this here...when I send out shuttles 3500 vp they return at 2750 points. Did I completely miss that for months or is that new?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also posting this here...when I send out shuttles 3500 vp they return at 2750 points. Did I completely miss that for months or is that new?

The app vs server sync has been awful since the game began. You likely failed your previous set at 3500 so your next set were 2750, but the app didn't refresh to show this even though the server which was is the source of truth had 2750.
  • Options
    Pablo PawlyPablo Pawly ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    AviTrek wrote: »

The app vs server sync has been awful since the game began. You likely failed your previous set at 3500 so your next set were 2750, but the app didn't refresh to show this even though the server which was is the source of truth had 2750.

But now it just got interesting...out of 4 shuttles two returned at 3500, two at 2750. At both these point totals one was successfull and one failed. Does the above also explain that? (Sorry I know very little about IT stuff)

Edit: and I sent them out at the same time, not unloading any failed shuttles in the meantime
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭

But now it just got interesting...out of 4 shuttles two returned at 3500, two at 2750. At both these point totals one was successfull and one failed. Does the above also explain that? (Sorry I know very little about IT stuff)

Edit: and I sent them out at the same time, not unloading any failed shuttles in the meantime
    But did you *open* them at the same time without unloading any failed shuttles in between? The point value doesn't get locked in when you send them, but when you open the mission.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is further proof that the success is calculated when you launch.

Shuttle 1 launches at 2750 succeeds
    Shuttle 2 launches at 3500 succeeds
    Shuttle 3 launches at 3500 fails
    Shuttle 4 launches at 2750 fails
  • Options
    JorymaskJorymask ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    And here we are, end of the event, only failed a relatively small number of missions, used about 10 speed boosts (the most I had between the cadet mission, and buying a few credit packs hoping for a higher rarity pull)... and I'm going to end the event 3000 short of the third Ruk. Without additional shuttles, a complement of full 4/4 or 5/5 bonus crew from either a very long play history or paid pulls, and additional high-tier speed boosts from paid packs and dilithium pulls, shuttle events cannot be completed - let alone ranked - by those that don't invest in this game.

I'm fine with not ranking or getting the last merit reward without pay, because obviously you guys should be getting some return for your investment. But don't you dare lie to me and say shuttle events are the "superior" event! Especially when you go so far as to say they're superior for those that don't pay to play. Chrono events give far more return to F2P or dilithium carders, by so large a margin that it should be criminal to even hint otherwise.
  • Options
    Jorymask wrote: »
    And here we are, end of the event, only failed a relatively small number of missions, used about 10 speed boosts....

You need to use exactly 10 speed boosts at the start (ok, about 3 minutes in) of the event, and shouldn't really need any more after that. Are you kick-starting right? If you are then you should very easily reach the 3rd 4* crew.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    And here we are, end of the event, only failed a relatively small number of missions, used about 10 speed boosts (the most I had between the cadet mission, and buying a few credit packs hoping for a higher rarity pull)... and I'm going to end the event 3000 short of the third Ruk. Without additional shuttles, a complement of full 4/4 or 5/5 bonus crew from either a very long play history or paid pulls, and additional high-tier speed boosts from paid packs and dilithium pulls, shuttle events cannot be completed - let alone ranked - by those that don't invest in this game.

I'm fine with not ranking or getting the last merit reward without pay, because obviously you guys should be getting some return for your investment. But don't you dare lie to me and say shuttle events are the "superior" event! Especially when you go so far as to say they're superior for those that don't pay to play. Chrono events give far more return to F2P or dilithium carders, by so large a margin that it should be criminal to even hint otherwise.

Keep playing and you'll become competitive in faction events. Took the better part of a year for me to get over the hump of playing with weaker crew. I liked galaxy events then because I could get super-rares that way. I suspect that hump is somewhat higher today, but it just takes patience. And saving dilithium for extra shuttles.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I'm F2P, used zero speed boosts, have only 3 shuttles, and have no 5* bonus crew. Had 2 immortal bonus 4* holograms, and no event crew other than my squad leader's 4* Lore.

I just reached 150k this morning for the 5* item. No problem getting the 3rd Ruk at 120k. So I'm sorry, but it is possible to do well. Now I'll admit that this gets me very little as far as Ranked rewards, but maybe someday.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Lol its a 'lie' since you have to actually play the game a while a build up crew? Double lmao. (Feeling a lil ST IV there)

You invest enough time in the game (get your shuttle from Achievement DIL) and build a few crew up that are bonus and you'll see the difference. You can actually LEVEL crew during the Faction event. I Immortalized 3 characters during this event alone thanks to Voyages chrons. (Not from level 1, one started in the 50s this weekend.) You cannot do that during a galaxy and still compete as your chrons are for your event not your characters.

• Options
    Magisse wrote: »

But did you *open* them at the same time without unloading any failed shuttles in between? The point value doesn't get locked in when you send them, but when you open the mission.

Yes, I opened one and sent it away, then opened one and sent it away...etc
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    You invest enough time in the game (get your shuttle from Achievement DIL) and build a few crew up that are bonus and you'll see the difference. You can actually LEVEL crew during the Faction event. I Immortalized 3 characters during this event alone thanks to Voyages chrons. (Not from level 1, one started in the 50s this weekend.) You cannot do that during a galaxy and still compete as your chrons are for your event not your characters.

This was the first time I managed to fully equip three event crew from scratch during an event. (I had Lore done previously). Voyages + Faction = Awesomness
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have had a bunch of fails over a few runs, it always wise to click the event icon on the bottom left to see the shuttles point value before send off.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    +1 for a list

We still don't know if Arik counts or not. Sometimes ancestors count. Sometimes they do not. A list seems like a no brainer

Scroll up. Shan is quoted as saying that Arik does not count.

Yes she did. How many pages of posts should people have to read to find this information? Why is this info not in the OP?

Why would Arik count anyway? He's not a Hologram or an Android.

Nor is Arik a variant, just as Sarek is not a variant of Spock 🖖🏻 , nor Sela of Yar, et cetera. Relatives or family members are not variants, as far as I know.

DB has been inconsistent about which events allow for family members to be variants and which ones are not.

Other examples:

I was wrong. Thank you for pointing those out. So, um, yeah, a little consistency from DB would not go amiss, would it?

*snorts milk through nose*

Consistency would be irrelevant if they listed the crew. They could change every week or at a whim.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    [quote="Paund Skumm;c-10397

As for AU 3947, it is debatable but as it has roughly human form, it probably does qualify as an android but clearly not one that could “pass” as human... but you could make that same argument about data as well. Nonetheless, I’m not upset one way or another if AU 3947 is not included for the event (possibly because I don’t have one anyways 😇)[/quote]

I don't think most people care if crew members are included or not. They just want to know what DB intend to include.
  • Options
    Interesting to see a quick still of Ruk in After Trek this week. (Yes in Australia it takes a while for things to filter through)