Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Captain Proton to the Rescue! - 10/25 (Mega-Event Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »
    There would have been opportunities to have some nice sci/med character like this cardassian exobiologist hologram from voyager for instance, but instead we got a lot of boring cards and we're also getting two 3/4s.

Crell Moset has been in the game since launch.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Crell_Moset

I thought he might've been talking about Kejal from Flesh and Blood, who would be pretty awesome skill-wise as she'd be ENG/MED/SCI or ENG/MED/SEC

fa6m0p95pjbt.jpg

Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »
    There would have been opportunities to have some nice sci/med character like this cardassian exobiologist hologram from voyager for instance, but instead we got a lot of boring cards and we're also getting two 3/4s.

Crell Moset has been in the game since launch.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Crell_Moset
    Yes but never been in an event.

True, but DB has never used an existing 5* as a reward for a new event, much less a mega. I would love Moset to be a threshold card like Uhura or T’Pol, but that seems very unlikely.

No, it isn't common, but it has happened. Off the top of my head, the first event in the Klingon Meg featured Grilka, who was already in the game.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    No interest in any of the crew except the fifth star for Minuet, but Skirmishes are always lucrative enough I'll dabble throughout the weekend.

As for the new 5* reward structure, I'm largely ambivalent but if I fell one way or another, I'd be in favor. I would object if the 5* was entirely unrelated to any event, but since it's part of the following week's event, I don't have any objection. Admittedly, I still have that reflexive impulse to associate the 5* character with this week's bonus crew, but that's a habit that I'm sure I can break after a few more weeks.

It's not a problem that we're not getting any further advance info. This gives us an earlier heads up about part of the bonus crew for the next event several days before the Key Information thread goes live--which still happens during the event in which we can earn that 5*. We don't know what kind of event Silva La Forge will be part of yet, but before "Captain Proton to the Rescue!" is over, we will--just as we would have anyway. Some of y'all are just overthinking this into being a problem that it isn't.

I'm mostly ok with the reward structure, but I do wish they provided the full next event info on Wednesday with the crew stats instead of on Friday. There are faction/hybrid events where I don't care about rank so I'll skip the kickstart to save boosts. But if the next event is a faction event where I'll use the 5*, then I'd be more likely to go all out in the previous event. But right now I don't know what that next event is until after I've committed to running a kickstart or not.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    No interest in any of the crew except the fifth star for Minuet, but Skirmishes are always lucrative enough I'll dabble throughout the weekend.

As for the new 5* reward structure, I'm largely ambivalent but if I fell one way or another, I'd be in favor. I would object if the 5* was entirely unrelated to any event, but since it's part of the following week's event, I don't have any objection. Admittedly, I still have that reflexive impulse to associate the 5* character with this week's bonus crew, but that's a habit that I'm sure I can break after a few more weeks.

It's not a problem that we're not getting any further advance info. This gives us an earlier heads up about part of the bonus crew for the next event several days before the Key Information thread goes live--which still happens during the event in which we can earn that 5*. We don't know what kind of event Silva La Forge will be part of yet, but before "Captain Proton to the Rescue!" is over, we will--just as we would have anyway. Some of y'all are just overthinking this into being a problem that it isn't.

I'm mostly ok with the reward structure, but I do wish they provided the full next event info on Wednesday with the crew stats instead of on Friday. There are faction/hybrid events where I don't care about rank so I'll skip the kickstart to save boosts. But if the next event is a faction event where I'll use the 5*, then I'd be more likely to go all out in the previous event. But right now I don't know what that next event is until after I've committed to running a kickstart or not.

Ultimately, it comes down to one question that has not changed: Do you want the 5* in the rewards table or not?

If I'm a Picard collector, I'm going after Musketeer Picard this week because this is when I can earn him. I've also known since last Friday to work on any unfinished Picards in my crew because they'll be Bonus Crew next week. Those Bonus Crew Picards aren't being kept out of Event A. They were always going to be in Event B.

The only hitch is that we don't know the rest of the bonus crew, so in a case like this one, where the 5* is Silva La Forge, we just have to kinda guess. Precedence would suggest that Geordis would be Bonus Crew, but there's no guarantee of that. But if I spend some resources leveling and equipping Geordis that I end up not using next week, the penalty is...I now have some leveled and equipped Geordis?

Ah, you might argue; those are a few days wasted if he isn't Bonus Crew! But those are days in which we wouldn't have known who was in the crew anyway. Which brings me back to the worst case scenario here being that I have leveled and equipped some Geordis that won't be Bonus Crew next week, and I can shift to working on whoever is when I get that information on the same schedule that I was getting it before this change.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, not gonna tell us what the 11/1 event TYPE is? it kind of matters, you know?

I think a re-run of The Captain's Oath ... a hybrid Faction/Galaxy event. That's what I'm preparing for anyway ... a faction or galaxy event (or both!). :)
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Edit: I wrote a lovely comment here about a slightly different topic, sorry! I really shouldn't comment when dozing off!
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think this event is worse than the Killy event.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think this event is worse than the Killy event.

Worse, how? I, for one, have never done better. It had required an absurd waste of faction transmissions and an obscene amount of time reducers, (I'd say about fifty 3*,) but I'm looking to hit below the 500 mark. This will be the second faction event I've surpassed 1000, I believe.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, am I safe buying a Double the Crew offer for Skirmish Picard? ;)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, am I safe buying a Double the Crew offer for Skirmish Picard? ;)

The question is who will help you most next week. Musketeer Picard, Minuete, or Captain Proton? I will leave my new Picard at one star for now.
  • Options
    I just meant 8wm1t77cf1xw.jpg

I would think so. His arena ability doesn't look like anything special.
  • Options
    I don't get why people don't think it's awesome! It's a comical ST reference! I don't even like those holodeck episodes, but that ship is going to be hilarious to see in-game.

You should finally get that people are individuals Commander Synthehol, have different tastes and not always try to enforce your personal opinions on others ;)

Seriously? The only reason I made my comment, was because others were trying to tell DB they made a bad decision. If the board were full of nothing but negative comments, it appears there is not much player support for fun ship options like this (or maybe fun crew options like porthos, etc). If you wish to support people having differing opinions, I'm surprised you are not supporting my message since I believe the majority seemed not in favor.
  • Options
    I am looking forward to the next event. Love skirmishes. Gives me a place to burn my email and collection chronos on.
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Faction/skirmish events are basically free for people to play(except the very top), so people keep playing regardless of the crew quality.

also you actually can get stuff you need from those events instead of just wasting chrons for top 1k finish... like event shuttles at 90+ % vs normal shuttles a 65% and basically free farming from ship battles for the things you need. also that sweet honour

edit just realized my avatar wasnt showing correctly, looks like the site uses square pictures and mine was widescreen so it cut off the far sides, fixed it with paint! yaaaa!
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    If I'm a Picard collector, I'm going after Musketeer Picard this week because this is when I can earn him. I've also known since last Friday to work on any unfinished Picards in my crew because they'll be Bonus Crew next week. Those Bonus Crew Picards aren't being kept out of Event A. They were always going to be in Event B.

Why are you working on your unfinished Picards... for a Skirmish event where you only need one Event crew for the full bonus?

I think you've accidentally highlighted the problem perfectly.

UGH. Sunscreen on a Care Bear! I haven't highlighted any problem with the rewards structure. I've only tangentially highlighted a problem with Skirmishes. You're overthinking it. The point isn't how strategically useless Bonus Crew is in a Skirmish. That part is irrelevant. The point is to model the "5* in Event A is used in Event B" structure using the Event A and Event B at hand. That's it.
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    ... so if I would have obtained them through rank rewards I would have levelled them anyway.
    B. If you are one of those players who constantly rank top 1000 ... then what is levelling up one 5* in a couple of days?

--> So, there is only one scenario where you might consider not levelling the 5* ... it is Skirmish and you have the 4* returning crew already levelled.
    I think you either misread my comment or quoted me by mistake? I didn't talk about the cost or choice of leveling the 5*.

But assuming your comment was directed at me, I'll say it again: one word. Three days. Problem..?
  • Options
    The Captain's Oath? Always loving a bunch of redshirts in my crew in case I need the space.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    ... so if I would have obtained them through rank rewards I would have levelled them anyway.
    B. If you are one of those players who constantly rank top 1000 ... then what is levelling up one 5* in a couple of days?

--> So, there is only one scenario where you might consider not levelling the 5* ... it is Skirmish and you have the 4* returning crew already levelled.
    I think you either misread my comment or quoted me by mistake? I didn't talk about the cost or choice of leveling the 5*.

But assuming your comment was directed at me, I'll say it again: one word. Three days. Problem..?

You keep saying three days, but really it's two from Friday to Wednesday.

Personally, I don't think having the information a few days earlier will change anything for the vast majority of players - but sharing the information wouldn't exactly hurt DB either.
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Oh, the hell with it.

I liked your flow chart and agree with it completely.