Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Captain Proton to the Rescue! - 10/25 (Mega-Event Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this get the legendary for the next week stuff seems to be making the events harder which would then give more money to db as people are spending more for the same positions. So I guess it is working for db. In some ways it has reinvigorated the player base. Players are no longer playing for a legendary that will be of very little use as a 1/5 and possibly be in another event in a year. Players now play for a legendary that can be used the next week. So I guess it is sort of a win-win unless the players stop playing the events which I doubt they will.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wundigore wrote: »
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    If I'm a Picard collector, I'm going after Musketeer Picard this week because this is when I can earn him. I've also known since last Friday to work on any unfinished Picards in my crew because they'll be Bonus Crew next week. Those Bonus Crew Picards aren't being kept out of Event A. They were always going to be in Event B.

Why are you working on your unfinished Picards... for a Skirmish event where you only need one Event crew for the full bonus?

I think you've accidentally highlighted the problem perfectly.

UGH. Sunscreen on a Care Bear! I haven't highlighted any problem with the rewards structure. I've only tangentially highlighted a problem with Skirmishes. You're overthinking it. The point isn't how strategically useless Bonus Crew is in a Skirmish. That part is irrelevant. The point is to model the "5* in Event A is used in Event B" structure using the Event A and Event B at hand. That's it.

I think you have forgotten that not everyone can rank in the top 1000 in every event. Choosing to pursue the rank reward legendary this week to help out next week can literally be a game-changer for some people.

If one invests their limited resources in acquiring this week's ranked legendary, only to find out after two days of expensive investment that next week will be a skirmish anyway, this can easily cost them a top 1000 rank in another event.

I understand that this problem is unlikely to affect spenders like yourself, but given that the solution is as simple as bringing one word forward three days to the Wednesday briefing, as part of the information about the ranked legendary, I cannot follow why anyone would be against it.

You said before that we wouldn't have known who was bonus crew in the following week's event anyway, but you're looking at it backwards. The fact is, we have never before not known the event type in which the ranked legendary prize is event crew.

I do not see how this is the case. I see this point made often in this debate. But, under the old system, you got the character at the end of the event. You could not use the bonus in the event and the character certainly did not give 3x bonus in the next event. Now you get the character and can use it to help you in the next event. You know you have a free one before the event packs come out. This strikes me (a lower spend player) as a benefit. Whales do not care. They want the card, they buy packs till they get 5. This lets someone who otherwise would just have a 1/5 sit in inventory actual get some use from it.

I think it kinda gets lost too that these crew are not completely useless once they are not event crew any longer. I keep getting the feeling that some are of the mindset that they are useless once their event is over but there are still daily Voyages, shuttles, faction events...(quoting you may not have been totally fitting for what I said. My bad. Just a quote habit I guess)
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    The problem is for a lot of players competing for top 1k, a 1/5 is useless. The best ones are usable in gauntlet or have a super high base for shuttles, but otherwise they sit there gathering dust. And even at higher fusion levels, not every 5* makes a top 10 for any use case. So yes, a lot of these crew do end up being useless after their event.

A 1/5 legendary does not make any significant difference in any kind of event if the other puzzle pieces don´t fit. Saying before you blame the new reward structure for certain disadvantages. That aside it is simple:

In case you regard a certain 1/5 legendary as useless don´t try for Top 1000. Pick your "battles". Which is also healthy for the rest of your resources.

And yes, there are awesome legendaries, there are sucky legendaries. So here the same goes: Pick smartly on whom to spend Citations. Despite your trademark negativism and complain, complain, complain attitude you have a brain. So simply use it.

That aside, "surprisingly" ;), there are also casual players who don´t care for stats, but for artwork or a certain character.

And furthermore if players don´t care to upgrade their 1/5´s, mainly freeload what DB gives to them that "problem" is a selfmade choice. And not on DB.

If you are not willing to invest in something you spend much time on of course others who are willing to do that have a wider and better team.

Accept your limitations and (spending) mentality. And make the most out of it. Again very simple. And much more fulfilling than constant negative attitude ;)

• Options
    wgxdbbamimvm.png
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Wundigore wrote: »
    If I'm a Picard collector, I'm going after Musketeer Picard this week because this is when I can earn him. I've also known since last Friday to work on any unfinished Picards in my crew because they'll be Bonus Crew next week. Those Bonus Crew Picards aren't being kept out of Event A. They were always going to be in Event B.

Why are you working on your unfinished Picards... for a Skirmish event where you only need one Event crew for the full bonus?

I think you've accidentally highlighted the problem perfectly.

UGH. Sunscreen on a Care Bear! I haven't highlighted any problem with the rewards structure. I've only tangentially highlighted a problem with Skirmishes. You're overthinking it. The point isn't how strategically useless Bonus Crew is in a Skirmish. That part is irrelevant. The point is to model the "5* in Event A is used in Event B" structure using the Event A and Event B at hand. That's it.

I think you have forgotten that not everyone can rank in the top 1000 in every event. Choosing to pursue the rank reward legendary this week to help out next week can literally be a game-changer for some people.

If one invests their limited resources in acquiring this week's ranked legendary, only to find out after two days of expensive investment that next week will be a skirmish anyway, this can easily cost them a top 1000 rank in another event.

I understand that this problem is unlikely to affect spenders like yourself, but given that the solution is as simple as bringing one word forward three days to the Wednesday briefing, as part of the information about the ranked legendary, I cannot follow why anyone would be against it.

You said before that we wouldn't have known who was bonus crew in the following week's event anyway, but you're looking at it backwards. The fact is, we have never before not known the event type in which the ranked legendary prize is event crew.

I do not see how this is the case. I see this point made often in this debate. But, under the old system, you got the character at the end of the event. You could not use the bonus in the event and the character certainly did not give 3x bonus in the next event. Now you get the character and can use it to help you in the next event. You know you have a free one before the event packs come out. This strikes me (a lower spend player) as a benefit. Whales do not care. They want the card, they buy packs till they get 5. This lets someone who otherwise would just have a 1/5 sit in inventory actual get some use from it.

I think it kinda gets lost too that these crew are not completely useless once they are not event crew any longer. I keep getting the feeling that some are of the mindset that they are useless once their event is over but there are still daily Voyages, shuttles, faction events...(quoting you may not have been totally fitting for what I said. My bad. Just a quote habit I guess)

The problem is for a lot of players competing for top 1k, a 1/5 is useless. The best ones are usable in gauntlet or have a super high base for shuttles, but otherwise they sit there gathering dust. And even at higher fusion levels, not every 5* makes a top 10 for any use case. So yes, a lot of these crew do end up being useless after their event.

This is my reality. I cannot place in the top 1000 on a consistent basis but could do it in a Faction event when I want to (with a good supply of 3* time boosts) and now that I have slowed down on power-leveling crew and spend chrons on farming components, I could probably make a serious push in a Galaxy event. I have a number of 1/5* crew from lucky event pack or 10 for $10 drops and very few of them are useful to me. A couple go on shuttles, a few more will end up on voyages, and several more find ways to help in the gauntlet.

This is because I have a decent set of 5/5* crew (and a couple of useful 2-4* crew) and a robust set of 4/4* crew that see regular use. Mid-level players like me don’t see a non-event benefit for most 1/5* crew...just one less crew slot. Players who would find such crew helpful on a daily basis are those would have to halt their overall growth for, what, multiple months (?) to get a Galaxy event’s 5*, have no chance at a Faction event, and maybe could do well in a Skirmish if the right things fall into place. But instead of chasing a lone 5* crew, those resources maybe could have had a larger overall effect if spent on other things.
  • Options
    Unless Michael Sullivan is an absolute beast I’m Minuet and out on this thing. It just doesn’t resonate for me at all and I don’t have the time or want-to for LaForge.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    gobolts07 wrote: »
    Unless Michael Sullivan is an absolute beast I’m Minuet and out on this thing. It just doesn’t resonate for me at all and I don’t have the time or want-to for LaForge.

All I know that I care about is Minuet, but if they spring another new 3* in the rank table, I'll go for that. I'll keep playing off and on throughout the weekend anyway, though, just 'cause Skirmishes can be so lucrative. If nothing else, they're a built-in excuse to farm those pesky holoemitters.
  • Options
    0739toln5gap.jpeg
    Artwork looks great.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    "Here's the story…"

oozcgiw0dgpv.jpg

Gotta say, Peter is looking good.

And Bonny is looking BRUTAL

• Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    0739toln5gap.jpeg
    Artwork looks great.

Agreed. SOOOOOOO happy they didn't go with the yellow/blue highlighting.
  • Options
    SarjoSarjo ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Definitely prefer winning next week’s big bonus legendary from current event. The legendaries won in rank rewards used to stack up till as a variant they were useful for an event. So I much prefer it way it is now.

Appreciate that might [be small comfort] for people that don’t usually finish in rank top 1,000. But the way round that might be to have the current legendary for that event as a big threshold reward. So want to play hard you can get them and not be muscled out by other players. It might be late, but then as rank rewards they were always too late and that just seemed pointless to win after the event the were a bonus for.

The old way was nuts for that reason alone.
  • Options
    Man, I really hope she's not a new power creep must-have, I don't remember her at all even seeing the art and screenshots from the episode others posted.

I push hard in skirmishes anyways because I love the bonus honor and chrons to level crew aggressively in one weekend, but I have so little excitement for her.
  • Options
    Art for Momma La Forge

winhqe9mgi22.png

Are we sure it isnt the weird energy creature impersonating his mom?
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Art for Momma La Forge

winhqe9mgi22.png

Are we sure it isnt the weird energy creature impersonating his mom?

Yeah we are because of the human trait.

I am glad that Cap'n Proton is in the threshold so I will immortalize him, Sullivan is laughably bad, Cap'n Silva is okayish at best.
  • Options
    7dey11f335v4.png
    Eww why med primary
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »
    575 schematics only? Letting us get some 1/10th of a silly ship would be too extravagant?

During the last skirmish, the last threshold reward for Valdore schematics glitched for me and I got them twice. I'm hoping that happens again.
  • Options
    They give us 575 schematics for the same reason they changed to offering the next event's 1/5: To tempt you into spending money.

For the schematics, "it's just one pack to unlock the ship." (not a real quote) Of course, a L1 5* ship is useless, so of course once you've unlocked it, you might as well buy more packs to make it usable...

And for the 1/5, it's not for the players. It's to get people to participate in EVERY event, to get the best character for the next event. But with the increased competition, that will steadily require increased spending to stay in the top 1k.

It's all about the $, not being nice to the player base. I play another mobile game that just took a similar sharp turn in that direction, and will probably be quitting both games in the not-too-distant future.
  • Options
    @Shan can you clarify what you mean by this:

Please note that from now on each player will start the phase with 100 Intel

Will intel reset at phase change? Or will it work as usual where you carry forward intel from Phase 1 to 2 and the above just refers to the start of the event?
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eww why med primary

It's better than dip/cmd primary. That being said the stats aren't outstanding at all.