Home The Bridge

Your Gauntlet "Just......Wow" moment

Comments

• And, I got my own GFotD with the same set up but both at 5%.

g2i4xtk3pjye.jpg
    Admiral of the Inner Planets Alliance fleets
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, I got my own GFotD with the same set up but both at 5%.

g2i4xtk3pjye.jpg

My condolences :(
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    David Luna wrote: »
    My "Just Wow"?????? I FINALLY got ARMUS!!!!! YAY!!!mvs5joe1f4f6.jpg

Congratulations!

Y’all, we need to watch out for this @David Luna . 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Congrats on your Armus. :)
  • Left...without comment.
    ovrwevb4abve.jpg
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    qtu7xhzub61q.jpg

I worried about this one. Then lost at the next one, going for 21.......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    25% vs 5%

g9dduh3mdt2v.png
    tch3cbug1r1b.png
    syhlx5ah8xpp.png

Yay?
  • usyhnfy1ph65.png

Ouch!
    ÷Dr. Claire Finn - Admiral of the Battleship Yamato & Founder of both the Battleship Yamato & ISS Yamato
    OK, REALLY RNGesus?! This is BRUTAL!

irwakjhzv35n.png
    g41dfihievaq.png
    #WorthIt

xz00u5gah24a.png
    n5e9dw8flvsm.png
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo, seeing these streak posts really makes me feel better about not going for streaks...here’s hoping the next one goes your way!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Bylo, seeing these streak posts really makes me feel better about not going for streaks...here’s hoping the next one goes your way!

I'm feeling the same way, @ByloBand and @Dirk Gunderson . I've only had a streak run into the thirties once, and it similarly produced no valuable rewards for me.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me merits spent chasing streaks towards a low chance of a known specific subset of legendary crew, ALL of which I want to drop, is a great investment. I've been playing about 1.5 years and have not had a legendary merit drop yet. I had one dabo legend, and it was... Grilka. She's the only legend I ever airlocked, because I had slot issues then.

While in Gauntlet, I've had 3x Caretakers, 1x Locutus, 7xArmus... versus 1 Grilka. It's sure been profitable to spend merits on streaks! I always start gauntlets chasing streaks then finish going for top 10. Been on a dry spell for a couple of months but I can't complain with my overall drops. 11.5k gauntlet rounds.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    For me merits spent chasing streaks towards a low chance of a known specific subset of legendary crew, ALL of which I want to drop, is a great investment. I've been playing about 1.5 years and have not had a legendary merit drop yet. I had one dabo legend, and it was... Grilka. She's the only legend I ever airlocked, because I had slot issues then.

While in Gauntlet, I've had 3x Caretakers, 1x Locutus, 7xArmus... versus 1 Grilka. It's sure been profitable to spend merits on streaks! I always start gauntlets chasing streaks then finish going for top 10. Been on a dry spell for a couple of months but I can't complain with my overall drops. 11.5k gauntlet rounds.

Ditto. Quark (DB) rigged the Dabo Wheel, but the Gauntlet drops feel fairer, to me. I use Merits there & break even, usually, as I think @Ivanstone pointed out in another thread. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    Literally "WOW!" I'm in the same Gauntlet with @Lady Gaghgagh!

k27q8fp5oxv5.png
  • Gauntlet WOW moment... EVERY round I get suckered in!

Gauntlet is the worst aspect of this game! And what are we playing for? Crew for THE GAUNTLET to play more Gauntlet to get stomped by the opponent-favored odds. If you win a round, what do you get? 20-99 merits or 1k-9k credits - both usually on the low end of 30-something merits or 1,800 credits. Get lucky enough to get on a streak and what do you get? Basic portals, useless trainers, 0* clothing patterns, and other junk. I like to place 11-15 because I get 7 crates and most of the time I'll get 20-80 chrons and a few 2* components with the other junk mixed in. Rewards just don't equal the effort and headache of these WOW moments.
    Great, skip it then, less competition for the rest of us.
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you want to complain about gauntlet losses, at least post the gauntlet odds calculation? some of these "staggering" losses only had a 60% chance to win in the first place
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
    Gauntlet WOW moment... EVERY round I get suckered in!

Gauntlet is the worst aspect of this game! And what are we playing for? Crew for THE GAUNTLET to play more Gauntlet to get stomped by the opponent-favored odds. If you win a round, what do you get? 20-99 merits or 1k-9k credits - both usually on the low end of 30-something merits or 1,800 credits. Get lucky enough to get on a streak and what do you get? Basic portals, useless trainers, 0* clothing patterns, and other junk. I like to place 11-15 because I get 7 crates and most of the time I'll get 20-80 chrons and a few 2* components with the other junk mixed in. Rewards just don't equal the effort and headache of these WOW moments.

I have both Armus and The Caretaker immortal and they are great voyagers. Early on, I used Locutus and Guinan as well and they might make it back into the rotation with a few more stars (both are only 2/5*). If you don’t want to chase any of them specifically, you can use the gauntlet as a merit farm and spend those elsewhere - shuttle transmissions, merit packs, equipment in faction stores...whatever you need to improve your crew.

If that still isn’t enough of a reason for you, you don’t really have to even play. There are no daily missions tied to gauntlet participation, there are no resources (other than the four legendary crew) that are hard or impossible to obtain elsewhere, and the only other thing you would miss out on are achievements (one of which is pretty hard to get unless you’re lucky and the other is quite the grind even if you don’t hate the gauntlet with a burning passion).

I can’t stress enough that if something doesn’t make you happy while you’re doing it or when you get a reward at the end (whether it is a single part of this game, the entire game, or any other game or pastime), don’t feel forced to do it. When it feels like work instead of fun or frustrates you rather than pleasing you, it’s time to pull back or move on. It might be hard at first but it’s worth it.

Such was the case with a free Star Wars MMORPG I played years ago. I was at the point where I spent 20 minutes in the morning before work, 30 minutes immediately after getting home from work, and another hour or two later in the evening grinding through something in-game (be it city construction or prospecting) and organizing people on our group’s forum...every single day. It started to feel like a second job rather than a fun diversion and my activity dwindled until I didn’t even log into the game anymore. I tried to make a comeback, feeling like I owed it to people to at least help with the newsletter and in-game work, but even at a reduced time commitment the feeling of “work” didn’t go away. I haven’t logged in there once for at least two years; I miss some of the friends I made along the way but I do not miss the feeling of obligation that I put on myself to spend a lot of time and effort on participation. Maybe I will go back someday (like I have done with Astro Empires) but that day isn’t today or in the near future.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gauntlet WOW moment... EVERY round I get suckered in!

I don't really worry about the failures too much although getting shanked out of a first place finish is disheartening.

I've gotten tonnes of 3* pulls and 4 useful Voyage crew out of the Gauntlet. Locutus and Guinan are also potentially decent for events. Hell, Armus is having its day in the sun right now. Still worth the effort most of the time.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was worried on the numbers beforehand.

0lee4cdq6cfz.jpg
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • j1g9txs8q5az.png
    guantlet must really be dead, if i placed in top 5
    j1g9txs8q5az.png

How do I get in that Gauntlet?! Mine are usually over 1,100 trophies after the first cycle!
    ByloBand wrote: »
    j1g9txs8q5az.png

How do I get in that Gauntlet?! Mine are usually over 1,100 trophies after the first cycle!

24 hours in and B schedule is already at about 1800 right now for first place.
    @SSR Barkley

What were the odds on this one?

nf27onp043fx.png
    mct20dzth1vn.png
  • jx3ox4mcq290.jpg
    k171dyk2j2u3.jpg

Yep. Guess who's not playing Gauntlet for the next 48 hours :/
    ByloBand wrote: »
    @SSR Barkley

What were the odds on this one?

nf27onp043fx.png
    mct20dzth1vn.png

By my rough mathing attempts I'm getting 58% vs 42%.