Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: First Impressions - 10/12 - edited 10/10 04:49 PM ET

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BelleAnna wrote: »
    I'm not really interested in Marla ...

Marla is really strong in DIP -- 2nd best base stats for a 4*. Only Ambassador K'Ehleyr is stronger. So she might be worth the effort.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    I'm not really interested in Marla ...

Marla is really strong in DIP -- 2nd best base stats for a 4*. Only Ambassador K'Ehleyr is stronger. So she might be worth the effort.

She really might. I haven't gotten rid of a 4* yet, and at least she has something that could be useful, unlike some of the others just lurking in the unready room..
  • Oh, hey! Augment Riker is *not* completely useless after all! lol

Augment Riker has been a staple in over three-quarters of my voyages as for ENG/+25 AM boost as there is always a slot for Augment, Gambler, Desperate, Maverick, Jury Rigger, or Survivalist! As for the event, it seems as though all my ENG/MED crew will be shanghai'd from Voyages... however if the last event says anything, I will in no way have the ability to get in the top 1,000 for the 5*, I don't need Marla as I have her FF/FE (though a second wouldn't hurt), and the DSC 4* will be had from VP and Community 600k reward.

I wish other factions would come into play in running missions. Another Federation mission run... whoopa-di-do! Augment isn't bad. But I have others that need to be run for 4* components. I'm getting a lot of new and fusable 4* crew from Voyages, so these events are not as enticing right now as they are the same ole same old. I've been able to inject my crew with some life with the 12,000+ chrons I've got over the last 15 days through Voyages!
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tachyonuk wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »

I cannot guarantee at all that I will be able to provide this every time, but for this event, here is the list of crew who should provide a lower bonus:

That's very decent of you Shan, Thank You Kindly for going the extra mile

Seconded. Expressly spelling this out is appreciated. While easily figured out, I still hate ambiguity.
    P.S. Saw the note about the layoffs, glad you survived it.

I'd like to see a 5* Giant Tardigrade ENG/SCI/SEC. They would hands down be my favourite crew ever.

Looking forward to Stamets (maybe because I'm gay); hope he has 3 skills, and to see him develop as a character.

Thanks for the event heads up Shan! Any chance we'll get expedition again?

First, I bet we get the Water Bear (forgot the word tardigrade, instantly recognized the dehydration proof, radiation resistant, space surviving little guy as soon as I saw him), in the last week. At least I hope so.

Second, there's a reasonable chance we get some med in Stamets, he's clearly got advanced biologiy in his background.
    Second B, wtf cares if you're, he's, she's, gay or not? Isn't Star Trek supposed to be above that? Why does it need to be and be called out as a/the defining trait, when otherwise they'd be just another normal person?

Third, it looks to me like CBS shot down Keyla Detmer as event crew, her being classified as an augment. Probably why we got Marla and had the extra delayed release of information.

Ah heck, fourth, I'm betting our next mega event comes in February; STD, the relapse, as the second half of the season airs.

• Half of the augments are variations of Bashir. It'd be cool to see some of the other augments from Deep Space 9 - Patrick, Jack, Lauren and Sarina from "Statistical Probabilities" and "Chrysalis".
  • The event will have a corresponding pack, yes? When exactly does that go on sale?
  • Sam Reed wrote: »
    The event will have a corresponding pack, yes? When exactly does that go on sale?

Usually they go on sale as the previous pack leaves so likely some time tomorrow 10/11/17, around noon EST.

Also thank you Shan for the update, the Marla part was a surprise but hey I got my Bashirs waiting in the wings. B)
    "If you want level-headed answers to help you fit into polite society I'm not really the right person..." -CMDR Shepard
    "When the people around you are all one way and you're not, you can't help feeling like there's something wrong with you." -B'Elanna Torres
    "Simulations can't prepare you for the real thing. Nothing can." -Dr. Julian Bashir
    "There's no room in justice for loyalty, or friendship, or love. Justice, as the Humans like to say, is blind. I used to believe that. I'm not sure I can anymore." -Odo
    "Sleep, there's no such thing. It's just an old space tale like Sparkle dancers or Klingons with a heart of gold. " -Montgomery Scott
    "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam"? No, "Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Half of the augments are variations of Bashir. It'd be cool to see some of the other augments from Deep Space 9 - Patrick, Jack, Lauren and Sarina from "Statistical Probabilities" and "Chrysalis".

Admiral Patrick would be an incredible addition. "That's a stupid question!"
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Tachyonuk wrote: »

I cannot guarantee at all that I will be able to provide this every time, but for this event, here is the list of crew who should provide a lower bonus:

That's very decent of you Shan, Thank You Kindly for going the extra mile

Seconded. Expressly spelling this out is appreciated. While easily figured out, I still hate ambiguity.
    P.S. Saw the note about the layoffs, glad you survived it.

I'd like to see a 5* Giant Tardigrade ENG/SCI/SEC. They would hands down be my favourite crew ever.

Looking forward to Stamets (maybe because I'm gay); hope he has 3 skills, and to see him develop as a character.

Thanks for the event heads up Shan! Any chance we'll get expedition again?

First, I bet we get the Water Bear (forgot the word tardigrade, instantly recognized the dehydration proof, radiation resistant, space surviving little guy as soon as I saw him), in the last week. At least I hope so.

Second, there's a reasonable chance we get some med in Stamets, he's clearly got advanced biologiy in his background.
    Second B, wtf cares if you're, he's, she's, gay or not? Isn't Star Trek supposed to be above that? Why does it need to be and be called out as a/the defining trait, when otherwise they'd be just another normal person?

Third, it looks to me like CBS shot down Keyla Detmer as event crew, her being classified as an augment. Probably why we got Marla and had the extra delayed release of information.

Ah heck, fourth, I'm betting our next mega event comes in February; STD, the relapse, as the second half of the season airs.

As a biologist myself (entomology), I can say that it really has nothing to do with medical skills or knowledge, especially a field like mycology. Science and a bit of engineering and/or command would be more appropriate in my opinion.

Keyla Detmer, from what I understand, is more of a cyborg than an augment.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

As a biologist myself (entomology), I can say that it really has nothing to do with medical skills or knowledge, especially a field like mycology. Science and a bit of engineering and/or command would be more appropriate in my opinion.

Well, thanks for dashing my hopes. I guess we get yet another month with no med and sad eng and sci.

I will say though, I've seen non STT sources cite her as augmented, and there is a reasonable argument, without going into transhumanism, google, musk, et al, that a cyborg is an augmented human.
    Heck, defined loosely enough, the old guy with a pace maker is a cyborg. And he is augmented, as no pace maker makes dead/no human.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

Well, thanks for dashing my hopes. I guess we get yet another month with no med and sad eng and sci.

I will say though, I've seen non STT sources cite her as augmented, and there is a reasonable argument, without going into transhumanism, google, musk, et al, that a cyborg is an augmented human.
    Heck, defined loosely enough, the old guy with a pace maker is a cyborg. And he is augmented, as no pace maker makes dead/no human.

Fair enough. You may very well be right on the Augment thing.
  • Augmented in the Star Trek universe means genetically enhanced not like a Borg which is cybernetic parts or an Android like Data and Lore. It has its own category because of that.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Mordack wrote: »
    Also, can someone remove the homophobe before he derails the thread?

Amazing cognitive dissonance from these people who are fans of Star Trek but also openly bigoted.

Unbelievable. I was almost willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he started griping about the persecution of white males, but now that he's added homophobe to his not-so-subtle racism and misogyny, it's time to bump someone else out of my ignore list so he can join the four others that I'm allowed to block with this new forum software.

Ugh I know right, and he and I were starting to make some headway into understanding one another in that other thread. But then I come here and see this. Yeah no, sorry, as someone who is LGBT I will not put up with him being this flagrant about his stance against having LGBT characters in ST.

---

Now to go back on topic, does anyone know what Lorca's skills are? We find out a bit later today, and as much as I think Lorca is an a-hole, I feel he could grow on me as a character if the writers give him proper explanation and reasoning for what he does. That said, since we just got T'Kuvma who is COM/SEC, I really don't want Lorca to be the same skill formula two weeks in a row.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
    AlloyIV wrote: »
    Augmented in the Star Trek universe means genetically enhanced not like a Borg which is cybernetic parts or an Android like Data and Lore. It has its own category because of that.

I tend to think of them this way in terms of enhancements...
    Augments - think like pumped full of steroids and adrenaline
    Borg - think like strong prostheses and bionic components
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
  • Shan wrote: »
    Bonus crew: The featured event crew + T'Kuvma will provide the best bonuses, but all versions of event crew + non featured Discovery crew and Augments crew will provide some.

Will T'Kuvma provide the best bonus as described this time?
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • I sort of don't get people who accept that Star Trek influenced generation(s) of scientists and astronauts, as well as inspired Whoopi Goldberg and tons of African and Asian Americans to have the guts to become actors or how media in general make you feel like a badass but queer people? Feel empowered by seeing queer representation? Unthinkable. Whatta bunch of fakes. Diversity? Open-mindedness? what? The cognitive dissonance is real.

Bah, back on topic, will we get stats soon? I'm excited for Stamets; I love Science officers and I need more SCI characters.
    if there no images then its not really a sig is it? #givemeimagesorgivemedeath
    member of (Brooklyn 9)9RS
    magik wrote: »
    I sort of don't get people who accept that Star Trek influenced generation(s) of scientists and astronauts, as well as inspired Whoopi Goldberg and tons of African and Asian Americans to have the guts to become actors or how media in general make you feel like a badass but queer people? Feel empowered by seeing queer representation? Unthinkable. Whatta bunch of fakes. Diversity? Open-mindedness? what? The cognitive dissonance is real.

Bah, back on topic, will we get stats soon? I'm excited for Stamets; I love Science officers and I need more SCI characters.

Stamets doesn't personally empower me, but I can respect that he may do so for other LGBT people. Personally, I find him to be the kind of person I don't like lol - arrogant, judgmental, snide. I hope his personality gets some kind of revamp as he grows.
  • Stamets doesn't personally empower me, but I can respect that he may do so for other LGBT people. Personally, I find him to be the kind of person I don't like lol - arrogant, judgmental, snide. I hope his personality gets some kind of revamp as he grows.

Agreed, though I am a bit partial because yay science! but doesn't change that he's a very one note character? Like so far he's the usual jumble of mean nerd/pacifist scientist tropes. But. Science. :(
    if there no images then its not really a sig is it? #givemeimagesorgivemedeath
    member of (Brooklyn 9)9RS
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    magik wrote: »
    Stamets doesn't personally empower me, but I can respect that he may do so for other LGBT people. Personally, I find him to be the kind of person I don't like lol - arrogant, judgmental, snide. I hope his personality gets some kind of revamp as he grows.

Agreed, though I am a bit partial because yay science! but doesn't change that he's a very one note character? Like so far he's the usual jumble of mean nerd/pacifist scientist tropes. But. Science. :(

But Star Trek hasn't had a mean nerd pacifist science officer before. Of course everyone in Starfleet 'wants' peace, but all the science officers have been willing to use force easily. Spock, Data, Tuvok, Jadzia, T'pol. This guy seems to mean it when he says he doesn't want his sciencey stuff used for war. Data actually might be the closest to him - like when he refused to let the exocomps be destroyed.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • First, I bet we get the Water Bear (forgot the word tardigrade, instantly recognized the dehydration proof, radiation resistant, space surviving little guy as soon as I saw him), in the last week. At least I hope so.

Ripper would have been a super 4/5 mega-event crew. Guess that would have given too much of the story away.

I understand, and agree; it was sarcasm, poking fun in response to the thread's earlier homophobic statements against Stamets (is he even gay? It's irrelevant like you said), and the whole idea that we must fit into the same skin colour/gender/orientation boxes as a character to identify with them.
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like his snippy, talk back at anyone sarcastic remarks personality. If he falls in line, yes sir, no sir, realign the phase inducer.. sure !
    I'd be rather disappointed.

They've scrambled enough eggs in the timeline already, don't need his personality to be another annomolyy. I think he and Saru are my favorites at the moment.. except for the animal running the Spor-Core .
    Yep.
    That's what I'm calling it.
    You can thank me later.

Sporep nine, engage !
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tng did have a chief engineer that was a jerk during the early seasons. They were one offs mostly. LaForge was promoted to that role till season 3.
  • As Sarek is featured in Discovery, could Ambassador Sarek be bonus crew in the mega-event going forward?
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirming here that T'Kuvma will provide a bigger bonus, for both phases of this event.
  • Half of the augments are variations of Bashir. It'd be cool to see some of the other augments from Deep Space 9 - Patrick, Jack, Lauren and Sarina from "Statistical Probabilities" and "Chrysalis".

I can get behind this.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirming here that T'Kuvma will provide a bigger bonus, for both phases of this event.
    Thanks Shan! We've been anxiously awaiting that info.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    And letting you know also that the announcement in game will be delayed.
  • Shan wrote: »
    And letting you know also that the announcement in game will be delayed.

thanks, but that definitely **tsk tsk**. Any chance you know how long?