Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: First Impressions - 10/12 - edited 10/10 04:49 PM ET

1234568»

Comments

• PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerfball6 wrote: »
    It is a shame, that as Star Trek fans, we need to find ways to "cope" with this new series. I went into it hoping I would like it, but it's simply impossible for me. I truly wish it had never come to fruition. If other Trekkies can watch this and enjoy it, they are fortunate, and I am happy for them. I wish I could. I wish something had been created that I didn't find a travesty. Unfortunately, even seeing these new characters in the game is bringing my enjoyment of timelines down. But, it is what it is, and unless everyone were to stop watching it, which I doubt, it's going to stay. And I will have to find a way to cope with it's existence myself.

Just cause its Trek doesn't mean you have to watch it. Find something non-Trek to watch! I do> And when I need trek. SIsko's there for m
    Sam Reed wrote: »
    despite Lorca being a hot mess

Truer words have never been spoken!

I actually had huge problems with Discovery the first three episodes, to the point where I just had to keep telling myself, "It's not Trek, it's not Trek, it's just something decorated with Trek stuff!" But episode 4 started to turn it around because finally Burnham and Stamets did something that actually felt like Trek, and now I'm cautiously optimistic.

What also helped was I read someone say that it's like a Trek episode stretched out over multiple episodes... that's why it's so dark and troubling, but by the end of the episode/season, the conflict will be resolved in an appropriately Trek way. IOW, it's a less self-contained story. In classic Trek we're used to the conflict being resolved by the end of the episode (or in the next one for a 2-parter) and Discovery will do the same thing, but take the whole season to do it, fleshing out the conflict and problems more.

Here's hoping this description turns out to be accurate.

So its like a badly written DS9? You had a whole story arc there with things not resolved for entire seasons (or in the main two arcs the entire series) and things weren't wrapped up neatly each ep. Yeah you had a few bottlers like In the Cards, but damn, it got messy. But still felt like the Trek Kirk, Spock and Picard came from.

God why did they have to squish the fan films? Axanar would have done this right.
  • Pallidyne wrote: »
    Nerfball6 wrote: »
    It is a shame, that as Star Trek fans, we need to find ways to "cope" with this new series. I went into it hoping I would like it, but it's simply impossible for me. I truly wish it had never come to fruition. If other Trekkies can watch this and enjoy it, they are fortunate, and I am happy for them. I wish I could. I wish something had been created that I didn't find a travesty. Unfortunately, even seeing these new characters in the game is bringing my enjoyment of timelines down. But, it is what it is, and unless everyone were to stop watching it, which I doubt, it's going to stay. And I will have to find a way to cope with it's existence myself.

Just cause its Trek doesn't mean you have to watch it. Find something non-Trek to watch! I do> And when I need trek. SIsko's there for m

Which is exactly why I discontinued my subscription to CBS All Access.

• Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Grant77 wrote: »
    On top of that, I don't like this spore drive concept and that actor that portrays Stamets has done a horrible job. He will be airlocked.

Why would you airlock a character that will potentially give you dilithium and better placement in the mega-event? So far he's been easy to level except for his thirst for 2* Science Experiments.

My crew quarters are rather limited as F2P and he wouldn't crack my top 3 science. I have to make some tough decisions and airlocking the Neelix of Star Trek Discovery was an easy call. As a biologist myself, his whiny attitude is very off-putting.
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    I don't even play start trek timelines (see this is why the forums need to have more separation), I won't even unearth back the particular convo...but I will say making assumptions or implications about someone you don't know is beyond foolish, and also its a game forum so lets keep certain topics out of it as there is no shortage of actual places on the internet to discuss and debate such topics.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    NN wrote: »
    I don't even play start trek timelines (see this is why the forums need to have more separation), I won't even unearth back the particular convo...but I will say making assumptions or implications about someone you don't know is beyond foolish, and also its a game forum so lets keep certain topics out of it as there is no shortage of actual places on the internet to discuss and debate such topics.

Im puzzled, why if you don't play the game are you here on the forum for that game?
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    forum is mixed and the 1st thing I see when I type forum in my address bar and click on the bookmark is the stt stuff at the top ( I really should bookmark the gota section ), also every now and then I forget and hit recent discussion when I'm on the home page of the forum and it shows discussions from all sections of the forum, when either of those happen and I happen to glimpse a thread title that seems interesting I come in and take a look see.