Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: First Impressions - 10/12 - edited 10/10 04:49 PM ET

Comments

• Ricard Daystrom Ricard Daystrom ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I'm looking forward to getting another T'kvuma. He is a beast.Lorca and Stamets seem pretty cool.

And if I may, I would like to say that what Qxqx said is terribly bigoted. Star Trek is about acceptance and equality. You cannot say you are a Star Trek fan if you do not see that. I like how diverse Star Trek is.

mqk567sxn73h.jpg

Picard Is not happy with you.
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Shouldn't Lorca have the Section 31 trait?

/tinfoilhat

This may come on another version of Lorca if it is indeed true. I am hoping it will be, it is the only thing which can fix Lorca's and the Discovery's questionable ethics which damage Starfleet's reputation and make this series feel wholly unTrek-like.

That said, as much as I don't like Stamets or even need another high command character, I will probably try to get them both.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Awesome to see that event will end Monday ... some of us do work weekdays :) you know so we can spend money on this game :D
  • Most events end on Monday anyways. The last one didn't because it was a long holiday weekend.

I'm not really all into Lucius In Space but I will at least get a few stars of Stamets.
    "If you want level-headed answers to help you fit into polite society I'm not really the right person..." -CMDR Shepard
    "When the people around you are all one way and you're not, you can't help feeling like there's something wrong with you." -B'Elanna Torres
    "Simulations can't prepare you for the real thing. Nothing can." -Dr. Julian Bashir
    "There's no room in justice for loyalty, or friendship, or love. Justice, as the Humans like to say, is blind. I used to believe that. I'm not sure I can anymore." -Odo
    "Sleep, there's no such thing. It's just an old space tale like Sparkle dancers or Klingons with a heart of gold. " -Montgomery Scott
    "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam"? No, "Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
  • I cannot believe that in this day and age, the unstated sexuality of a fictional character in a online TV show is causing controversy. It's truly amazing that people will readily accept and even embrace all manner of violence, destruction and such, but make such a fuss about a character who just happens to be gay... Or so say some early Internet rumours anyway... There's actually no evidence in the show so far one way or another - and if or when it does come up, it's almost certainly going to be a "blink and you miss it" kinda thing like Sulu in Beyond... Why does it even matter?!
    (I'm reminded of the early rumours about Lt. Hawk from First Contact being gay which were vehemently denied by the produces even though there was nothing in the film to suggest that he wasn't - and it was later confirmed, unofficially anyway, in the Section 31 novel Rogue).

On TNG, we had characters who were blind (Geordi), bald (Picard), and even left-handed (Data). Shock horror! - How dare they show people like this on TV!

The truth is, with all the hundreds of characters that have appeared in Star Trek over the decades, it is extremely implausible that every single one of them has been heterosexual, and it would be completely unrealistic to assume that they were.

I should probably say something on-topic... I like the art on Lorca, his head size is perfect.
    I'm not convinced giving him DIP was especially appropriate, and I think "I am not a soldier" Stamets would be much more suited to ENG than SEC. But on a more general level, why do all the newly created characters only have two skills now? - Is this something that DB has done purposely so they're not as good for Voyages?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xanathar wrote: »
    I cannot believe that in this day and age, the unstated sexuality of a fictional character in a online TV show is causing controversy. It's truly amazing that people will readily accept and even embrace all manner of violence, destruction and such, but make such a fuss about a character who just happens to be gay... Or so say some early Internet rumours anyway.

All the mirror universe girl on girl action in DS9 was accepted as well. You know, because girl on girl is hot, and guy on guy is icky.
    I should probably say something on-topic...

Right.
    But on a more general level, why do all the newly created characters only have two skills now? - Is this something that DB has done purposely so they're not as good for Voyages?

When this first happened I said I was ok with it - I can have voyage crew and shuttle crew, just like we had shuttle crew and gauntlet crew. But yeah, that only makes sense if we get a mix and not just all two skill crew now.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »
    UnkieB wrote: »
    FE Stamets stats? Good stats are all that can save this awful character from my airlock.

Reinforcements Stamets (New) 4* Super Rare
    Fully Fused Fully Equipped Level 100 Skills: SEC 614 (58-183), SCI 853 (87-228)
    Traits: Human, Starfleet, Federation, Exomycologist, Prodigy

Thank you. In the airlock he will go, not useful for much at all.

He has the prodigy trait (which is required for 4 nodes), his base SCI is like # 2 for 4*s, and he's SCI/SEC which is a fairly rare combination.

Seriously? What more do you want from a character? Like does he need to also go to the store for you to buy iTunes giftcards to replenish your dilithium?

It depends what characters you have, I suppose. I already have the nodes unlocked and 2 stat characters are generally not relevant in gauntlet or on voyages.

On top of that, I don't like this spore drive concept and that actor that portrays Stamets has done a horrible job. He will be airlocked.
  • This show is a joke. It is NOT Trek. It could be any science fiction show with Starfleet logos and Orcs calling themselves klingons. Fancy special effects doesn't fix the lame acting, characters you could care less about, the stupid spore drive/space slug navigator concept, and technology way beyond what is supposed to be only 10 years before TOS. Sorry, but I will have nothing to do with this event or these new characters. Let me know when you get back to actual Star Trek.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I am looking forward to the event and getting Lorca and Stamets. Hope we can get Tilly and Burnham too this month. I think the new show is great! Eps 3 and 4 were so good! I like seeing new trek, new storylines, and unique characters we havent seen before in Trek. If people dont like the show because it is on a pay channel or feel it is too JJ Abrahams Trek that is fine but if you dont like it because of the racial makeup or sexual orientation of a character then you should not be asking what is wrong with CBS but do some serious self-reflecting.
    Let’s fly!
    Nerfball6 wrote: »
    This show is a joke. It is NOT Trek. It could be any science fiction show with Starfleet logos and Orcs calling themselves klingons. Fancy special effects doesn't fix the lame acting, characters you could care less about, the stupid spore drive/space slug navigator concept, and technology way beyond what is supposed to be only 10 years before TOS. Sorry, but I will have nothing to do with this event or these new characters. Let me know when you get back to actual Star Trek.

I feel you pretty much 100%, but I am holding out hope.

I will be collecting Lorca and Stamets for their usefulness, that and despite Lorca being a hot mess in terms of Starfleet principles, I kinda like him.

My way of coping with Discovery for the time being is to pretend the show is really about a Section 31 mission, that way it feels like Starfleet hasn't been entirely compromised and undermined by the show writers (so far) not respecting the Star Trek lore.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't understand how Stamets doesn't have the engineering skill. The spore drive is an engine

I really don't understand how Stamets doesn't have the engineering skill. The spore drive is an engine

I feel a later version of him might get that skill.
    Reinforcements Stamets is from when he and Burnham and Landry and whoever else went over to that ship that Ripper was on and they were armed in their investigation of it.
    It doesn't explain why he isn't SCI/ENG/SEC but still, I just say it is more likely to occur on a later version.
  • Dralix wrote: »

All the mirror universe girl on girl action in DS9 was accepted as well. You know, because girl on girl is hot, and guy on guy is icky.

Please tell me you actually meant that word for word.

OT. Is it just me or since voyages appeared, the new chars are bi-skilled only? Even the pre-mega event featured only bi-skilled chars.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭

The post does not reflect my personal views.

The post does not reflect my personal views.

so, instead of saying something about a dude that said a crappy thing...you actually go all out against all straight dudes? And that makes you different than qxsx how?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, instead of saying something about a dude that said a crappy thing...you actually go all out against all straight dudes? And that makes you different than qxsx how?

I believe you missed my point.

I believe you missed my point.

No, i didn't, that's why i asked what you meant. How that statement was meant. And it was meant sarcastically, you wanted to point out that it's not ok to like seeing girl-on-girl if you don't like seeing dude-on-dude...like it's hypocritical. Correct?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    you wanted to point out that it's not ok to like seeing girl-on-girl if you don't like seeing dude-on-dude...like it's hypocritical. Correct?

Not quite.

And with that, I'll end my participation in the off topic discussion. You can have the last word.
    you wanted to point out that it's not ok to like seeing girl-on-girl if you don't like seeing dude-on-dude...like it's hypocritical. Correct?

Not quite.

And with that, I'll end my participation in the off topic discussion. You can have the last word.

so, you didn't mean what you said...but you were also not sarcastic...not quite. Maybe you can understand my confusion...
    Dralix wrote: »

Not quite.

As an LGBT person, what matters to me isn't people's personal preferences, it is how people express those preferences in the larger scale of what they will allow or not allow to be present.

Liking girl on girl = fine
    Liking guy on guy = fine
    Disliking girl on girl, or guy on guy = also fine

But...

Saying girl on girl displays are fine to have because of your preference or even indifference to it, yet saying guy on guy displays are wrong and should not be had because of your dispreference for it, is what is hypocritical. Like or dislike whatever you want, but if you give one set of representation a free pass but not the other, you've just endorsed a double standard and that is where the hypocrisy lies.
  • @Lady Gaghgagh Thank you!
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying girl on girl displays are fine to have because of your preference or even indifference to it, yet saying guy on guy displays are wrong and should not be had because of your dispreference for it, is what is hypocritical. Like or dislike whatever you want, but if you give one set of representation a free pass but not the other, you've just endorsed a double standard and that is where the hypocrisy lies.

I guess I'm not ending my participation in the off topic discussion.

My point was that the double standard you describe exists. I do not subscribe to, nor endorse it.

My point was that the double standard you describe exists. I do not subscribe to, nor endorse it.

I just asked you several times...but as soon as someone comes and says something rational "that's what i meant!"

Talk about hypocritical...

I actually knew that, I totally read that in the first post you made about the topic lol. I really don't see how She wants the didn't read it that way but I guess if you read everything super literally (which I can do) then maybe they'd mix up the message pretty hard.

I actually knew that, I totally read that in the first post you made about the topic lol. I really don't see how She wants the didn't read it that way but I guess if you read everything super literally (which I can do) then maybe they'd mix up the message pretty hard.

if i took it literally, i actually wouldn't have had a problem with that. if you follow the discussion u can see that i actually asked several times what he meant. But, that's not really the point, is it now?
  • I really badly needed a fully fused 4* engineering crew member, and I thought Stamets might be close enough. He's not even close to what I need, much as I wanted the character card, so with no luck in the event pack this week I'm pretty much back on leveling the two 1*4 engineers I have.

I feel quite deflated about this, I'd been working myself up all week about this event and now there's some goodies but not what I need. And I can't even get excited about next week because I'm literally in the dark as to whom 'may' be picked and whether they'll even have the stats I expect. It will probably be a faction event anyway and I can never do well on those. Grumpy I am.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite.

As an LGBT person, what matters to me isn't people's personal preferences, it is how people express those preferences in the larger scale of what they will allow or not allow to be present.

Liking guy on guy = fine

But...

Guy on guy displays are inherently disgusting to straight men and I will skip over that part in any episode, but I fully support having it in Trek. This is a show for all people, not just people that are like me. Hopefully it inspires some to get into the sciences.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BelleAnna wrote: »
    I really badly needed a fully fused 4* engineering crew member, and I thought Stamets might be close enough. He's not even close to what I need, much as I wanted the character card, so with no luck in the event pack this week I'm pretty much back on leveling the two 1*4 engineers I have.

I feel quite deflated about this, I'd been working myself up all week about this event and now there's some goodies but not what I need. And I can't even get excited about next week because I'm literally in the dark as to whom 'may' be picked and whether they'll even have the stats I expect. It will probably be a faction event anyway and I can never do well on those. Grumpy I am.

I wouldn't expect an engineer next week. Stamets seems to be the Discovery engineer and I can't see them having his character two weeks in a row. Sounds like you didn't get a FF Lal. She scores 879 in engineering.

Not quite.

Liking guy on guy = fine

But...

Guy on guy displays are inherently disgusting to straight men and I will skip over that part in any episode, but I fully support having it in Trek. This is a show for all people, not just people that are like me. Hopefully it inspires some to get into the sciences.

I mean it's fine if you don't like it and it is fine to skip over whatever you prefer not to see for yourself. But 'disgusting' is a bit of a loaded word to throw around, because it says more than "I don't like it", it also says "And it's absolutely vile". So maybe be careful how you word that, unless you mean it is vile, then we might have a problem with you voicing that so openly.
    PS - maybe don't presume to speak for all straight men either. It is rather imprudent to do so.