Home The Bridge
Options

What do you expect DB should do to compensate current event (Joy to the World) login/lag issue?

Comments

• Options
    @Shan

Are we all to open individual tickets and play CS lottery or is a general compensation coming? An announcement about this would greatly reduce the workload of your "cs" agents.
  • Options
    S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan
  • Options
    Give free EMA , it's not like they F up the ranked rewards even more....
  • Options
    I do not see how it could really impact you that much on a faction event. I personally had no problem, but if you are not going for top 50 some slowness in the game is an annoyance and maybe they should comp you for that, but I cannot see it impacting where you place in the event unless it is really severe and prolonged.
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »

You have to remember that any in game compensation costs DB literally nothing and depending on their SLA with their provider they might be actually entitled to compensation.

This is not completely true. DB makes a lot of money from the gold cards. Handing out a cold card of a popular character to everyone will probably lost them a lot of pack purchases.

That doesn't mean I have a better suggestion. The problem was outside of DB's spere of influence, and players were not equally affected, and DB cannot determine who was and who wasn't affected.

Logically, a blanket compensation/ gift makes sense, but then you will never solve the issue of affected players having a handicap this event....
  • Options
    Wundigore wrote: »
    I do not see how it could really impact you that much on a faction event. I personally had no problem, but if you are not going for top 50 some slowness in the game is an annoyance and maybe they should comp you for that, but I cannot see it impacting where you place in the event unless it is really severe and prolonged.

Depends on your crew and dil.

If you're deep in dil, then yes, you can play catchup - for a cost.

If you've got most of the event crew FFFE, along with enough 5* and 4* variants to skill match, then you can empty out your time boosts and rent-a-shuttles to play catchup.

Otherwise, you'll be screwed.

I've fortunately not been hit, but had I been, it would've been 5* equipment and out, as it is I may be competitive for a top 1k spot.

As for compo, surely a global pick from one of the older 5* variants of next weeks crew, like Mobile Doctor or Virtuoso Doctor? Doesn't bite into EMA pack sales and gives everyone a boost for next week?

Could even help sales by pushing up a Quack Pack, and one featuring variants of whoever else is next weeks card(s), of shortly afterwards, with people chasing extras stars on their freebie.
  • Options
    This would be nice:
    "We have reviewed the details of the outage. Although the root cause of the outage was beyond our control, we assume responsibility as we are invested in providing a superior gaming experience for our customers. As such we will be providing the following......"

This is what we will get:
    "This wasn't our fault so bugger off"
    :smiley:

I imagine their hold music is Suicidal Tendencies "Send Me Your Money"...
  • Options
    Considering the issue is not at DB, but a CenturyLink outage that has closed 911 centers in Multiple states. I am not sure there should be any compensation. DB has no control of this issue.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antasil wrote: »
    Hunter247 wrote: »

You have to remember that any in game compensation costs DB literally nothing and depending on their SLA with their provider they might be actually entitled to compensation.

This is not completely true. DB makes a lot of money from the gold cards. Handing out a cold card of a popular character to everyone will probably lost them a lot of pack purchases.

That doesn't mean I have a better suggestion. The problem was outside of DB's spere of influence, and players were not equally affected, and DB cannot determine who was and who wasn't affected.

Logically, a blanket compensation/ gift makes sense, but then you will never solve the issue of affected players having a handicap this event....

But, then you would have some number of those people who would not have gotten a Legendary who will DYC it........

$25 a shot, free money.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options
    I like the suggestion of choice of EMA, High Roller Sisko etc.
    I couldn’t access the game for 12 hours and frankly I am not holding my breath on decent compensation. Not just the event knackered, but voyage, dailies etc.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    [S14] Bri wrote: »

Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan

Are you purposely trying to get people to dislike you? Cause it's working
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    guest_questguest_quest ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Would be nice to get more details on what happened.
  • Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Provider who does this game also does EMERGENCY CALL CENTERS and apparently did not have redundancies in place.......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Considering the issue is not at DB, but a CenturyLink outage that has closed 911 centers in Multiple states. I am not sure there should be any compensation. DB has no control of this issue.
    I disagree. DB have full control over what provider they use for external connectivity. They also have full control over what backups are in place for when something fails.

So I'm guessing that if you got laid off at your job, you wouldn't require a severance package or unemployment insurance since you would have been in full control of having chosen to work there, and then again in full control of having a backup source of income in case you got laid off.

I know we're used to blaming them for everything, and I actually do see value in DB offering some sort of compensation, but I think we should all be able to agree that the outage wasn't actually DB's fault.
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    I disagree. DB have full control over what provider they use for external connectivity. They also have full control over what backups are in place for when something fails.

So I'm guessing that if you got laid off at your job, you wouldn't require a severance package or unemployment insurance since you would have been in full control of having chosen to work there, and then again in full control of having a backup source of income in case you got laid off.

I know we're used to blaming them for everything, and I actually do see value in DB offering some sort of compensation, but I think we should all be able to agree that the outage wasn't actually DB's fault.

I think offering something, even though it is not their fault, would be good PR. This company has been good about doing SOMETHING when something goes wrong. That does not obligate them in any way. But, as I said above, they give out a Legendary from the Event, that costs them nothing, people who otherwise did not get the 5* will be doing DYC. The Legendary is just ones and zeros on the server, so costs them nothing. The DYC nets them $25 a pop. And the good will of the players. If they do nothing, I can see that. As I said, they have no obligation to do something this time.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is related to the century link issue that seems to be widespread in the US. If any of their data centers use them then they would be having issues. I know my company has had issues the last couple of days due to it and there is not much we can do about it as our backup is not as robust.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this gets addressed before the weekend.
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    I wonder if this is related to the century link issue that seems to be widespread in the US. If any of their data centers use them then they would be having issues. I know my company has had issues the last couple of days due to it and there is not much we can do about it as our backup is not as robust.

Apparently it is. They also do 911 Centers in the Midwest or something. Hope no one has a negative outcome because they did not prepare properly to provide a vital service......
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Nothing. That is to say they shouldn't' have to do anything. They are as responsible as if your kid broke your tablet and you were unable to play or that it was slow.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very difficult to put this right with a blanket compensation. I think most of us would appreciate how it would be difficult to work out who was affected and to what extent.

So, with that in mind, I’d expect something like this:

50K honor points to all players (can’t be specific 5* crew, as that has its own problems) with an apology and commitment to look into resilience for connectivity issues within DB’s control.

And the offer to look into cases one by one if people have made extra purchases in preparation and were severely affected due to timezone issues (Eg most European players won’t be able to get to the higher VP missions until tomorrow now).

This seems the most fair solution to me. Lobbing a free Etana Jol at everyone would be a horrible way to memorialize Picardgate’s first anniversary and a free Warship EMA might hurt pack sales next week (as a free Gambler Sisko would probably hurt pack sales between now and Monday). I would think DB might also want to instruct CS to have a default additional compensation package of boosts, shuttle tokens, and perhaps even a premium ten-pack for players who were more severely affected - something to replace crew lost in the re-enlistment waiting room and lost positioning in the event.

DB has no control over the root cause but that doesn’t mean they had no ability to do something to mitigate the impact of the outage. Honestly, I’m not sure if putting the event on pause and either waiting for the outage to be fixed or running next week’s (assumed) re-run instead may have been the better of two bad options. When a non-trivial percentage of your player base can’t participate in game activities or have an extra reason to spend money, just saying “not our problem, go pound sand” isn’t a very appropriate response. I get that switching events around is tougher now that the ranked 5* crew is a week off but there has to be something in the bag that could be whipped out on short notice for when massive game-breaking errors (regardless of who is at fault) rear their ugly heads.

At this point, where the event is nearly a quarter complete, switching to a backup event really isn’t practical any longer. However, some sort of gift/reward/compensation should cost DB little to nothing and gain them some much-needed good will.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

The outage is not their fault however the message from them and their lack of contingency is their fault.

The IT company I work for has alternatives in place for such issues (and we need to as we have clients who have very strict SLAs regarding uptime)
  • Options
    The fault is not with my ISP.

It is with DBs ISP.

I pay DB money. They are the ones responsible for compensation.
    @Shan

Are we all to open individual tickets and play CS lottery or is a general compensation coming? An announcement about this would greatly reduce the workload of your "cs" agents.
    @Shan can you answer this?
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I don’t think that analogy works.

DB provide us with a service, it is totally in their control who they choose to sub-contract in to make it all come together. But from our point of view as customers, when something goes wrong the responsibility stops with DB.

The exception should only be reasons truly beyond their control, natural disaster or act of terrorism as 2 examples. Failure to have a backup internet connection, or at least a contingency plan, is a pretty big failing from an IT point of view. For a high availability/business critical IT service, you should never depend on a single service or supplier in this way and I’m certain most business IT professionals would agree.

They can seek redress for the outages from CenturyLink due to failing to meet SLA’s. But that should be behind the scenes/not something we need to concern ourselves with, provided DB accept responsibility for the outage and put things right with their customers. And NOT try to shift the blame onto one of their providers.

Also don’t forget - DB decided to start the event even though the problems were known.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will not be a blanket compensation for this issue.

We regret the impact this major internet outage had on some of our players, and we understand the frustration this has caused.

Please submit a ticket for any specific issue this created for you, our Support Team will assist you. Thank you!