Home The Bridge
Options

What do you expect DB should do to compensate current event (Joy to the World) login/lag issue?

Comments

• Options
    So db is not interested in making events fair. Good to know.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what? You miss out on a legendary? big deal. Its not the end of the world. And as they said if you were impacted submit a ticket (and the implied quit whining about it).
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    So what? You miss out on a legendary? big deal. Its not the end of the world. And as they said if you were impacted submit a ticket (and the implied quit whining about it).

No.... I wasn't negatively affected. I realise that downtime for a lot of players affected myself and others positively though.....which simply means it's not a fair competition.

• Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire internet is build like a set of various connecting highways. If some major ISP/router somewhere in the chain goes down, it's not DB's fault, unless AWS itself goes down, or one of their servers crashes.
    since we are using the highway example, if you hire a cab driver to pick you up at your house at a certain moment, at a given hour, anď he can't get there on time 'cause the road he was going to use is inadvertenly closed, should he be held responsable? (To you who hired him)
  • Options
    Kanon wrote: »
    The entire internet is build like a set of various connecting highways. If some major ISP/router somewhere in the chain goes down, it's not DB's fault, unless AWS itself goes down, or one of their servers crashes.
    since we are using the highway example, if you hire a cab driver to pick you up at your house at a certain moment, at a given hour, anď he can't get there on time 'cause the road he was going to use is inadvertenly closed, should he be held responsable? (To you who hired him)

Yes, he should have planned a different route.,...
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    There will not be a blanket compensation for this issue.

We regret the impact this major internet outage had on some of our players, and we understand the frustration this has caused.

Please submit a ticket for any specific issue this created for you, our Support Team will assist you. Thank you!

I wanna say upfront, you are just the messenger, and the message they give you to pass on is totally beyond your control.

Not your fault. Wanna be clear not blaming you for the message!!!!!

However, that is a VERY unsatisfactory answer, from a customer confidence standpoint.

NOT YOUR FAULT, SHAN!!!!! NOT BLAMING YOU FOR THE MESSAGE THEY ARE GIVING YOU TO PASS ON!!!!!
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    There will not be a blanket compensation for this issue.

We regret the impact this major internet outage had on some of our players, and we understand the frustration this has caused.

Please submit a ticket for any specific issue this created for you, our Support Team will assist you. Thank you!

I wanna say upfront, you are just the messenger, and the message they give you to pass on is totally beyond your control.

Not your fault. Wanna be clear not blaming you for the message!!!!!

However, that is a VERY unsatisfactory answer, from a customer confidence standpoint.

NOT YOUR FAULT, SHAN!!!!! NOT BLAMING YOU FOR THE MESSAGE THEY ARE GIVING YOU TO PASS ON!!!!!

Agreed!
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭

As an internet connection is required to play, it’s a critical part of the whole Timelines game. As such, they absolutely should be paying for the best connectivity options from AWS and redundancy options like mirrored servers in other locations.

If the game didn’t depend on this active connection between server and client, I would agree that being able to talk to DB’s server would just be a ‘nice to have’, that can stand to be put on a basic connectivity service.

If one of AWS's backbone transit ISP's went down, yes AWS would be on the hook to reimburse/credit Disruptor Beam, and they would, in turn, have to credit the player base in some form or fashion. But we don't know if the outage was one of AWS's ISP's, or just some peer down the road, which AWS is not responsible for.

From looking at DB's dns records, their servers are likely housed in the amazon west-2 Oregon DC. if some backbone ISP in Ohio dies, it's not Amazon's fault.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Provider who does this game also does EMERGENCY CALL CENTERS and apparently did not have redundancies in place.......

They do not. The outage is at CeturyLink.
  • Options
    Considering the issue is not at DB, but a CenturyLink outage that has closed 911 centers in Multiple states. I am not sure there should be any compensation. DB has no control of this issue.
    I disagree. DB have full control over what provider they use for external connectivity. They also have full control over what backups are in place for when something fails.

They have control over who they use. But who does Your provider use to get the their provider. I have Centurylink for my landline only. Everything else uses either Verizon or a local Cable provider. I never had connectivity issues. but I was woken ope in the middle of the night by my cell phone as the alerts went out about no 911 service in the state.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Considering the issue is not at DB, but a CenturyLink outage that has closed 911 centers in Multiple states. I am not sure there should be any compensation. DB has no control of this issue.
    I disagree. DB have full control over what provider they use for external connectivity. They also have full control over what backups are in place for when something fails.

They have control over who they use. But who does Your provider use to get the their provider. I have Centurylink for my landline only. Everything else uses either Verizon or a local Cable provider. I never had connectivity issues. but I was woken ope in the middle of the night by my cell phone as the alerts went out about no 911 service in the state.

Any internet based business whuch doesn't have a solid SLA with their provider will not be in business very long (as long as there is competition in the market).

I seem to have a better SLA with my ISP and I am a home user!
  • Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Provider who does this game also does EMERGENCY CALL CENTERS and apparently did not have redundancies in place.......

Was going by what someone else had posted. So, people didn't lose 911? That is good.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I am now caught up on this thread, and I feel a sense of loss here, like this was a lost opportunity.

I think most of us realize that this was in no way the fault of DB (I understand there is not consensus on this, but to paraphrase Meatloaf, "14 out of 15 aint bad!") and under no obligation to do anything for anybody, but man, I'm not gonna lie, this feels like the perfect opportunity to mend a few fences and win back some goodwill, and now it seems that this opportunity has been wasted.

Even if it was just something like, "Hey Captains, while this was not our fault, we value you and to try and pick up your spirits, here is a 4* citation. We are truly sorry that this happened and we are working to identify the issue to take every step to assure it does not happen again."

Nobody is going to stick their noses up at a free 4* citation (well again, to paraphrase my earlier paraphrase, I'm absolutely certain 1 out of 15 will!) and it would have IMO gone a great deal toward establishing a greater sense of community and goodwill.

Second paragraph is a good summary of my point, if anyone had trouble following me. {I occasionally wander off-point.} Excellent opportunity to Foster and revitalize Goodwill.

"This was totally beyond our control, but we know it impacted a lot of players during a Fraction Event. Here is something For everyone's inconvenience."

Ones and zeros are free. Happy, satisfied customers are priceless.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

Was going by what someone else had posted. So, people didn't lose 911? That is good.

WE DID!

9hwrceaqzwzk.png
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    The questions is, if whoever failed to provide the service compensates their customers, and those compensate their customers as well, and so on, following that chain of compensations would get to the affectef players, or it would reach DB first?
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »

Any internet based business whuch doesn't have a solid SLA with their provider will not be in business very long (as long as there is competition in the market).

I seem to have a better SLA with my ISP and I am a home user!

But if you had CenturyLink at home you'd be down too. Also may providers lease their service lines from someone else so even if you had a redundancy, that may have been down too. It doesn't matter how much redundancy you have in place, at some point you can't switch over when so much is down and so many companies lease from other companies, etc. Its crazy and this was definitely an extreme case that impacted Phone and Internet across the country.
  • Options

WE DID!

9hwrceaqzwzk.png

So, two providers are down at the same time? And one supports ECCs? Has anyone made sure it was an accident?!?!?
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the comment was more that DB does not do Call Centers, CenturyLink does and the yes 911 was down in many places.
  • Options

WE DID!

9hwrceaqzwzk.png

We did in MA as well.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    I appreciate the angle you’re coming from, and no disrespect intended, but this issue is compounded by a general lack of understanding of internet based services, connectivity and reasonable levels of access.

Many people are blissfully unaware of how IT and telecoms works, but there is actually a huge industry powering these type of services. I have spent several years in that career, knowledge of disaster planning, backup connections, redundancy, SLAs, contingency plans are essential skills. Planning for failures, even multiple failures happening at the same time (despite odds worse than obtaining the gauntlet gold crew!) are expected to be planned for.

DB chose the level (or lack of) redundancy. Eg Mirrored servers, backup internet connections via differing technologies (not reliant on the same backbones). Sure that comes at increasing costs, but that’s not the customers problem.

You're welcome to make comments about us not understanding this particular industry as well as you do, and you're right that I don't know the first thing about this industry, but I'm also not convinced you understand how business works in general.

If DB's expenses go up, you better believe our costs will go up - they chose a price point that allowed them to get the redundancy they could afford considering how much they charge their customers. I'm sure they could probably pay to have the single best damned redundancy service any company could offer, but I'm also sure that the only way they could afford that is by increasing the price points that we pay because that money needs to come from somewhere, and frankly I'm not sure how many of us would be interested in paying $500 for a monthly dilithium pass.

The more 9's you want, the exponentially higher your costs go.
  • Options
    FetaroFetaro ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just give us a flipping slot sale. It will make my day
  • Options
    Fetaro wrote: »
    Just give us a flipping slot sale. It will make my day

Or raise the Slot Cap by ten, also giving each player ten Slots. Cost? Zero. Goodwill? Priceless.