Home The Bridge
Options

What do you expect DB should do to compensate current event (Joy to the World) login/lag issue?

Comments

• Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    robownage wrote: »
    I appreciate the angle you’re coming from, and no disrespect intended, but this issue is compounded by a general lack of understanding of internet based services, connectivity and reasonable levels of access.

Many people are blissfully unaware of how IT and telecoms works, but there is actually a huge industry powering these type of services. I have spent several years in that career, knowledge of disaster planning, backup connections, redundancy, SLAs, contingency plans are essential skills. Planning for failures, even multiple failures happening at the same time (despite odds worse than obtaining the gauntlet gold crew!) are expected to be planned for.

DB chose the level (or lack of) redundancy. Eg Mirrored servers, backup internet connections via differing technologies (not reliant on the same backbones). Sure that comes at increasing costs, but that’s not the customers problem.

You're welcome to make comments about us not understanding this particular industry as well as you do, and you're right that I don't know the first thing about this industry, but I'm also not convinced you understand how business works in general.

If DB's expenses go up, you better believe our costs will go up - they chose a price point that allowed them to get the redundancy they could afford considering how much they charge their customers. I'm sure they could probably pay to have the single best damned redundancy service any company could offer, but I'm also sure that the only way they could afford that is by increasing the price points that we pay because that money needs to come from somewhere, and frankly I'm not sure how many of us would be interested in paying $500 for a monthly dilithium pass.

I agree, there is a balancing point. Most of these necessary infrastructure costs should have been anticipated in their business model before the game even launched.

Chasing down the last .9’s on guaranteed service availability of course costs exponentially more the further you go, but I’m not seeing any indication that any consideration or thought has been given at all over what required for just basic service.

This isn’t a cheap game, no matter how you dress it. We don’t own anything we see in game, we’re merely granted access to pixels on screen for as long as the game runs.

Blaming a SINGLE connectivity provider, based on a server in a SINGLE location, is way below what I feel should be expected here. If DB’s ‘reasonable’ backup is a 56K modem, then I’m afraid that most would agree that falls very short.

Again, don’t forget, I’ve said many times, if DB owned up and accepted responsibility, I’d be perfectly happy provided they were offering to put out an ingame message saying so, some reasonable gesture of goodwill to all and an offer to assess individual issues one by one. They’ve done the latter, but still persisting with the “it’s a global internets issue everyone!!11!1 OMG the internet isn’t our fault” line.
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I am now caught up on this thread, and I feel a sense of loss here, like this was a lost opportunity.

I think most of us realize that this was in no way the fault of DB (I understand there is not consensus on this, but to paraphrase Meatloaf, "14 out of 15 aint bad!") and under no obligation to do anything for anybody, but man, I'm not gonna lie, this feels like the perfect opportunity to mend a few fences and win back some goodwill, and now it seems that this opportunity has been wasted.

Even if it was just something like, "Hey Captains, while this was not our fault, we value you and to try and pick up your spirits, here is a 4* citation. We are truly sorry that this happened and we are working to identify the issue to take every step to assure it does not happen again."

Nobody is going to stick their noses up at a free 4* citation (well again, to paraphrase my earlier paraphrase, I'm absolutely certain 1 out of 15 will!) and it would have IMO gone a great deal toward establishing a greater sense of community and goodwill.

Second paragraph is a good summary of my point, if anyone had trouble following me. {I occasionally wander off-point.} Excellent opportunity to Foster and revitalize Goodwill.

"This was totally beyond our control, but we know it impacted a lot of players during a Fraction Event. Here is something For everyone's inconvenience."

Ones and zeros are free. Happy, satisfied customers are priceless.

Ah, but friends, if they did that you might not buy the great value $9.99 offer to fully fuse K'mtar!
  • Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Provider who does this game also does EMERGENCY CALL CENTERS and apparently did not have redundancies in place.......

They do not. The outage is at CeturyLink.

Was going by what someone else had posted. So, people didn't lose 911? That is good.

No CenturyLink is a major provider to 911 services. Numerous states lost it per the morning news. What I thought originally as being the Western portion of Washington state, turned out to be all of Washington state. Out cellphones woke us up when the emergency notifications went out.
  • Options
    FetaroFetaro ✭✭✭
    Fetaro wrote: »
    Just give us a flipping slot sale. It will make my day

Or raise the Slot Cap by ten, also giving each player ten Slots. Cost? Zero. Goodwill? Priceless.

Why not both?
  • Options
    easypeasy wrote: »
    Kanon wrote: »
    The entire internet is build like a set of various connecting highways. If some major ISP/router somewhere in the chain goes down, it's not DB's fault, unless AWS itself goes down, or one of their servers crashes.
    since we are using the highway example, if you hire a cab driver to pick you up at your house at a certain moment, at a given hour, anď he can't get there on time 'cause the road he was going to use is inadvertenly closed, should he be held responsable? (To you who hired him)

Yes, he should have planned a different route.,...

He shouldve used google...
  • Options
    guest_questguest_quest ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I hope the people who were affected receive sufficient compensation from their tickets. The passion of the posts shows how important this issue was to many players.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've got to say, very unsatisfactory response. We even told them what to do. Communicate, be honest, and turn a loss into a win.

So what is our expected resolution? We overload CS with tickets, wait days for an answer, and roll the CS RNG and see if we actually get something, or get told to go rub your genitalia vociferously against a cactus?
  • Options
    [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    Since it is impossible to know who was affected give everyone 10 free crew slots. Much goodwill gained at zero cost.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    [QH] Oxmyx wrote: »
    Much goodwill gained at zero cost.

until the wet paper mysql server dies

in all seriousness, they never scaled their database structure very well. This is why Nod harped on the fact that they can't just freewheel add blanket slots. they take major major performance hits when this happens. It was inferred fixing the problem would almost be a page 1 rewrite of their system, and then you'd just kiss the game goodbye
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    I would expect a business customer would have a better SLA with their provider thsn I do with mine because their business depends on it

again, i'm sure the AWS ISP's were solid. it's not DB's or AWS' problem when some random downstream border router dies. anytime a backbone provider goes down, EVERYONE feels some kind of pain.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Poor showing DB. At least make Warship EMH a reward for the first 1,500 or 2,000 in the event.
    That way you aren’t rewarding every single person, but definitely many people who were disadvantaged and falling just outside the 1k.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    There will not be a blanket compensation for this issue.

We regret the impact this major internet outage had on some of our players, and we understand the frustration this has caused.

Please submit a ticket for any specific issue this created for you, our Support Team will assist you. Thank you!

Called it...
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    [QH] Oxmyx wrote: »
    Much goodwill gained at zero cost.

until the wet paper mysql server dies

in all seriousness, they never scaled their database structure very well. This is why Nod harped on the fact that they can't just freewheel add blanket slots. they take major major performance hits when this happens. It was inferred fixing the problem would almost be a page 1 rewrite of their system, and then you'd just kiss the game goodbye

They need a better DBA then. I'll admit, MySQL (If that's really what they use) is the database that is most foreign to me, but almost every other real one out there (Postgres, Oracle, MSSQL with MVCC enabled) would require some of the most brain-dead designs to make this problem unmanagable.

You may have to pay some cost for the disk space/IOPS involved in the indexes required. You may have to do some rewriting of SOME queries.

But, that cost is often still cheaper than actually fixing a bad design.
  • Options
    Wow. No compensation huh? That’s pretty cold. DB seems done with the goodwill gestures I suppose
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Provider who does this game also does EMERGENCY CALL CENTERS and apparently did not have redundancies in place.......

They do not. The outage is at CeturyLink.

Was going by what someone else had posted. So, people didn't lose 911? That is good.

No CenturyLink is a major provider to 911 services. Numerous states lost it per the morning news. What I thought originally as being the Western portion of Washington state, turned out to be all of Washington state. Out cellphones woke us up when the emergency notifications went out.

I finally saw the news report on the outage. It covered about half of North America, and about 1/3 of Europe & UK. They said it would take "4 hours to get back online" and 14 hours later still not. Inexcusable.

However, there was absolutely nothing DB could have done about it, so my 2¢ is that players that are upset about the outage need no compensation from DB, and I doubt Centurylink will take your complaint about a game outage.

I do agree though that DB could gain a lot of smiles by a goodwill gesture.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    I'm a bit confused as to the extent of this impact. Are the people where CenturyLink went down in the USA affected? Or was it mostly Europe as per the early reports? I'm in APAC and not felt any lag beyond the usual, but that's due the terrible network service in this country!

Also, does CenturyLink provide a connection from DB to consumer, or DB USA to a kind of DB exit point in Europe? Does it handle all the traffic from MA to Europe, or if, for example, the European consumer has a provider using a different ISP exchange into the USA, then they can still connect? Very curious about the relationship here and if DB have dedicated bandwidth with CenturyLink or if they were just caught out by a middleman going down.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused as to the extent of this impact. Are the people where CenturyLink went down in the USA affected? Or was it mostly Europe as per the early reports? I'm in APAC and not felt any lag beyond the usual, but that's due the terrible network service in this country!

Also, does CenturyLink provide a connection from DB to consumer, or DB USA to a kind of DB exit point in Europe? Does it handle all the traffic from MA to Europe, or if, for example, the European consumer has a provider using a different ISP exchange into the USA, then they can still connect? Very curious about the relationship here and if DB have dedicated bandwidth with CenturyLink or if they were just caught out by a middleman going down.

Good questions. It does not affect my Samsung phone with Sprint, nor my home internet, which I think is Cox. For that, I've not heard complaints from coworkers or Customers here in Arizona. My parents are in Washington State. I'll ask them tomorrow, since I read earlier that Washington is affected.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    I say a free Polywater Yar as the standard DB compensation, from now on

Hahahahahahaha. They will never live that fiasco down.

Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. No compensation huh? That’s pretty cold. DB seems done with the goodwill gestures I suppose

If you were affected by the outage, Shan has requested that you submit a ticket.

They have also added a big yellow box to the top of the forum, repeating this request.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    At the end of the day it is still a performance issue I would have thought at least sorrytons would have been widely accepted.

Honestly there have been other direct outages in the past where we received these and I wasn’t affected eg not online at the time.

After mulling this over a day or so, I ask myself, Am I upset about my rank, missed out on extra cadet missions and x2 ad rewards for extra boosts, delayed sending out new voyage etc? Absolutely but would my rank be different with thousands more competing as well no one could possibly know. My delayed voyage yielded a 4th star on Noah ok that’s a win there, boosts yeah that’s a bit of a loss there as I was quite low on those and really could have done with those.

In short do the basic thing give sorrytons at the least as a gesture of good will.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Let's be clear. Prevention is always better than cure. And most players don't want compensation, just a level playing field. So the best way to deal with a known outage that was affecting alot of their players would have been to simply delay the start of the event until it was sorted. There is precedence for this - back in the early days, I remember the first(?) Galaxy being pulled because it wasn't working correctly.

I know the horse has bolted now and it's too late to close the proverbial stable door. But that is all people have ever wanted - a level playing field.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    I would expect a business customer would have a better SLA with their provider thsn I do with mine because their business depends on it

again, i'm sure the AWS ISP's were solid. it's not DB's or AWS' problem when some random downstream border router dies. anytime a backbone provider goes down, EVERYONE feels some kind of pain.

Believe me AWS would not have been down for that length of time. They would have redundancy in place (or certainly should do)

Our company uses Azure and if many of our big European customers could not access our platform for several hours we could be looking at very large compensation bills
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    CurzonD wrote: »
    Poor showing DB. At least make Warship EMH a reward for the first 1,500 or 2,000 in the event.
    That way you aren’t rewarding every single person, but definitely many people who were disadvantaged and falling just outside the 1k.

I am not sure about others but I bought event packs to prepare for this event but as I missed the first 15 hours of the event I am not even going to bother fighting for top spots because it just won't be possible

Many of the people who suffered from this event are at a great disadvantage at getting the top 2500 spots so increasing the reward level would be a further kick in the teeth
  • Options
    Free Warship EMA.

I say this as someone who is unaffected by these issues.

This would be nice but would be unfair on those who don't have the issue (unless it was for everybody)

What I expect we will get is a message (basically) saying "**tsk tsk** to be you!"

Seriously you can't say an 's' word that rhymes with ducks here?

Wot ? You can't say shucks anymore ?