Home The Bridge
Options

What do you expect DB should do to compensate current event (Joy to the World) login/lag issue?

Comments

• Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    ...that isn't another crappy old school useless legendary).
    Speak for yourself. I don't believe there is such a thing as "useless" legendaries. For example, despite only having two skills Minuet is a mainstay on voyages here. Same with T'Kuvma. Even Capt. Scott with his single skill I don't feel is useless, and he's roundly panned on these forums.

Now that I've gone off topic, what do I feel DB should do in this situation? Nothing. The outage wasn't caused by DB but caused by forces outside their control. They made the right call here in not providing global compensation

You'd prefer a 2 stat rubbish legendary with 2016 stats to something else?? Do you have infinite crew slots?

I didn't say that all 2 stat legendaries were crap, I said that the ones DB tend to give us outside of mega events as freebies tend to be crap. And *a lot* of 2 stat legendaries are just -1 crew slot as a 1/5 which is where they are going to stay for most people.
  • Options
    dext74 wrote: »
    2) Important announcements don't have to be made in-game, so obviously all the players who need to know will see them here, so the forum readers are NOT a tiny minority.

Well devil's advocate... people that can't get in game due to the outage won't be able to see a message sent via in-game mail...

If they used an in-game announcement, people could see it when they are/were finally able to log in, which they'd need to do to be able to open a ticket anyway.

Okay, they could use the web form to open a ticket. But they'd need to know their DBID, which they need to get by logging into the game.

Oh, they could get it here, but only if they were a registered forum member.

I'll see your devil's advocate and raise you a logical rebuttal.
  • Options
    Kudos to @SSR Barkley for trying to offer a reasonable analysis and commentary. I am curious about something: How have any other game companies handled this outage? Timelines is all I play, so I'm entirely oblivious to the rest of the gaming world.

I play several other mobile games, and they are headquartered/hosted on various continents (one in Britain, two in Asia, and another in North America). None of these others have had any trouble this weekend. Draw your own conclusions.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SSR Barkley

You seem to have a lot of information about DB's inner workings. Are you a representative of the company? Not an accusation, simply a query.

I work in IT and know how data centers, the internet and deployments actually work ... vs how people think they work.
    I can do a DNS query on disruptorbeam.
    I've also sat in chat rooms where good, former employees used to join us and shoot the breeze.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to @SSR Barkley for trying to offer a reasonable analysis and commentary. I am curious about something: How have any other game companies handled this outage? Timelines is all I play, so I'm entirely oblivious to the rest of the gaming world.

I play several other mobile games, and they are headquartered/hosted on various continents (one in Britain, two in Asia, and another in North America). None of these others have had any trouble this weekend. Draw your own conclusions.

yet ... this is not an apples to apples comparison.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to any problem is free crew slots. :)
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SSR Barkley

You seem to have a lot of information about DB's inner workings. Are you a representative of the company? Not an accusation, simply a query.

I work in IT and know how data centers, the internet and deployments actually work ... vs how people think they work.
    I can do a DNS query on disruptorbeam.
    I've also sat in chat rooms where good, former employees used to join us and shoot the breeze.

I'll get the aloe vera
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options
    I already had a ticket filed and have been told there’s no compo.

I’m fine with that - assuming it’s.the same for all players?
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

I play multiple other games and use other online content. I have been able to access my work machines which are hosted in the US.

The only application that has had problems in my experience has been Timelines.

There might be other applications out there that were impacted but I personally are not aware of them.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    dext74 wrote: »
    2) Important announcements don't have to be made in-game, so obviously all the players who need to know will see them here, so the forum readers are NOT a tiny minority.

Well devil's advocate... people that can't get in game due to the outage won't be able to see a message sent via in-game mail...

But they would be able to get in eventually. They may never check the forums
  • Options
    Curious if anyone actually entered a ticket?

One of my fleetmates did (plays in England and was affected). No word yet on outcome.

4x 5 Star Time Reductions.

Meh.
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tbh I am in Europe and I wasn't affected except for a fact that game was SLOWER than usual and now I am not sure if that is worthy of submitting a ticket.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    furyd wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    There will not be a blanket compensation for this issue.

We regret the impact this major internet outage had on some of our players, and we understand the frustration this has caused.

Please submit a ticket for any specific issue this created for you, our Support Team will assist you. Thank you!

Shame for a couple of reasons - the first being CS is frequently a lottery. I suspect there'd be a lot less requests for blanket compo were CS to be consistent.

The second was it was a golden opportunity to win a lot of goodwill that could also have driven additional sales.

DB/TP need to hire Ferengi with bigger lobes.

I think the problem is that they hire Ferengi but forget that the player base is human.

The Ferengi model doesn't work too well on us hoomans!
  • Options
    I got 10x 5* timeboosts as compensation.
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    NS111111 wrote: »
    I already had a ticket filed and have been told there’s no compo.
    I did. Received a few trinkets. I know people who received more, people who received less. It's Customer Service Lottery and that's part of the hurt people feel.
    I have an Aussie in my squad and she was affected. CS told her that there would be no blanket compensation and anything given out would be through in-game mail.

How very DB.

We're told to open tickets about this, and the result?

Some people are being told there's no compensation.

Some people receive some minor compensation.

Some people are being told it will be handled through in-game messages.

So very typical of DB. Just like everything else, Customer Service is handled by RNG.

This.
  • Options
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    You'd prefer a 2 stat rubbish legendary with 2016 stats to something else?? Do you have infinite crew slots?

I didn't say that all 2 stat legendaries were crap, I said that the ones DB tend to give us outside of mega events as freebies tend to be crap. And *a lot* of 2 stat legendaries are just -1 crew slot as a 1/5 which is where they are going to stay for most people.
    1. Without going into too many details, I'll have roughly 30 free slots after the event: I currently have 155. As I finish cards, they stay or go depending on if they meet my criteria or fulfill a need in the Arena. This is called "discipline".
    2. Regulars on this forum routinely rag on any legendary with less than three stats. Whether the card is old or new makes no difference. Less than three stats = bad, unless they have a decent Arena ability.
    3. If those cards stay at 1/5 then "most" people probably lack discipline, have no free slots, and probably need to rethink their strategy for accumulating honor.

• Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    =GBP= Bear wrote: »

One of my fleetmates did (plays in England and was affected). No word yet on outcome.

Meh.
    [S14] Bri wrote: »

Hmmm.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh.

Hmmm.

There's definitely some lottery there, but it could also be the way the person articulated their case for compensation and what they requested. Since @Shan clearly stated that they won't be taking a blanket approach, those things matter. If you go in saying "this wasn't fair, gimme something" you probably won't get the same result as someone who goes in and says "I know it wasn't your fault, but here is how I was clearly disadvantaged and based on these facts, I think I deserve X."

Like all things customer service, you're more likely to get something if you're clear in what you want, and go in with a spoonful of honey instead of vinegar.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, they tell @Shan to tell us to send "Customer Service" Tickets, then "Customer Service" tells people an assortment of things, including "Things will be taken care of through in-game mail", which sounds suspiciously like a blanket compensation package........

AGAIN: NOT SHAN'S FAULT THEY TOLD HER WHAT TO SAY!!!!!
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    robownage wrote: »

Meh.

Hmmm.

There's definitely some lottery there, but it could also be the way the person articulated their case for compensation and what they requested. Since @Shan clearly stated that they won't be taking a blanket approach, those things matter. If you go in saying "this wasn't fair, gimme something" you probably won't get the same result as someone who goes in and says "I know it wasn't your fault, but here is how I was clearly disadvantaged and based on these facts, I think I deserve X."

Like all things customer service, you're more likely to get something if you're clear in what you want, and go in with a spoonful of honey instead of vinegar.

You're probably right but that doesn't make the situation right. Players shouldn't have to "sweet-talk" anyone to have their issue resolved.

It shows a clear lack of professional integrity.

I'm not sure I agree. They've been clear in their belief that they are not responsible for the outage, but that they are willing to entertain any requests for compensation if you feel you were unfairly disadvantaged. Regardless of whether we agree on their liability, this is clearly the position they have taken.

That puts the onus on the customer to justify their need for compensation, seeing as the baseline is "you get nothing." The better you are at articulating why they should compensate you and how, the more likely you are to get something. There's clearly a lack of professional empathy at the top, but this is not the same as a lack of integrity. I would argue that a lack of integrity would, however, present itself if DB themselves is able to extract some sort of compensation from CenturyLink and then fails to pass any of that on to their customers. However, based on how companies operate, I wouldn't expect us to ever find out about that.
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Oh, they could get it here, but only if they were a registered forum member..
    You know you can log in with your in-game credentials... so in that sense every player is a registered forum member automatically.

Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, they tell @Shan to tell us to send "Customer Service" Tickets, then "Customer Service" tells people an assortment of things, including "Things will be taken care of through in-game mail", which sounds suspiciously like a blanket compensation package........

AGAIN: NOT SHAN'S FAULT THEY TOLD HER WHAT TO SAY!!!!!

Not necessarily. In-game mail can be used on an individual basis.

#RememberSmudge
  • Options
    Gib - Admiral MarinersGib - Admiral Mariners ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    DB had nothing to do with the outage. CenturyLink did, and there is already a Federal Communications Commission investigation, as it closed Emergency Services Call Centers in multiple states.
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    DB had nothing to do with the outage. CenturyLink did, and there is already a Federal Communications Commission investigation, as it closed Emergency Services Call Centers in multiple states.

Indeed, it seems DB aren’t the only entity with poor contingency plans. While a video game outage might be annoying and upset large chunks of players, that’s a business decision, not life and death. I don’t know who would be responsible for the IT operation of those call centres, but I wouldn’t be surprised if heads roll over this [no macabre pun intended].

• Options
    When one of the Major Telecommunications companies in the US has a problem. There are going to be heads rolling, not at the 911 call centers, but at CenturyLink. They have bought up most of the competition.