Home The Bridge
Options

October Mega Event Speculation

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it really a requirement that Pike traits be related to the mega theme? As in, he could be event crew for the first mega event but not the rest of them, which could still be the costumed trait?

No, not a requirement at all. Just a speculation on my part with the limited info we have and that the last couple megas have been trait megas where almost all the crew in the mega share that trait. But the October Mega may not even start on Oct. 3rd. It could conceivably start Oct. 10 with first event then have events starting Oct. 17, Oct. 24, and Oct. 31.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Is it really a requirement that Pike traits be related to the mega theme? As in, he could be event crew for the first mega event but not the rest of them, which could still be the costumed trait?

No, not a requirement at all. Just a speculation on my part with the limited info we have and that the last couple megas have been trait megas where almost all the crew in the mega share that trait. But the October Mega may not even start on Oct. 3rd. It could conceivably start Oct. 10 with first event then have events starting Oct. 17, Oct. 24, and Oct. 31.

If there are five Thursdays, probably won't start until the second one.......

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/monthly.html?year=2019&month=10&country=1
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    furyd wrote: »
    would love if DB only ran 4 megas (once a quarter) rather than every month. Would be even happier if it was less.

Yup, they've gone from having the wow factor, to the "oh, this again"

Exactly. Megas have lost their luster. Would rather DB run these less often with truly special characters as the recurring. Make Mega Events Mega Again ... MMEMA ?!
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

If there are five Thursdays, probably won't start until the second one.......

Ooooo that means I get paid 5 times in October!!

Cool!!!!!
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    would love if DB only ran 4 megas (once a quarter) rather than every month. Would be even happier if it was less.

Exactly. Megas have lost their luster. Would rather DB run these less often with truly special characters as the recurring. Make Mega Events Mega Again ... MMEMA ?!

Megas have lost their luster because after the Borg Queen there have not been recurring crew worthy of being mega recurring. But I don't see DB fixing that by running 4 instead of 6 per year.

At this point I look at it as soon easy 5/5. Whoever it is will improve my Voyages.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Megas have lost their luster because after the Borg Queen there have not been recurring crew worthy of being mega recurring. But I don't see DB fixing that by running 4 instead of 6 per year.

At this point I look at it as soon easy 5/5. Whoever it is will improve my Voyages.

Sure, there have been some stinkers (Minuet is the dead horse we keep beating on) but I think we have done really well in recent mega events - Qod and Determined Janeway are both fantastic. Honorable mention should go to Etana Jol as well, if only for how many times I send her out on a voyage over other fantastic engineers. Out of the last several mega events, the only sure-fire whiff for me was Thrax - rolling out Kol as a virtual copy of Kortar for the benefit of players who weren’t around for the second mega event wasn’t the worst choice, but doing it again in the very next mega was a bad move even if Thrax is (slightly) better on paper than either Kol or Kortar.

There have been multiple great crew from a stat perspective. Janeway, Qod, Etana, Ruffles, etc... I meant from a character perspective. After Borg Queen, they're all kind of meh. Borg Queen was an iconic villain from the best TNG movie that then became a recurring villain on Voyager. Qod might have been close, but when he's just another Q in the game he doesn't feel special. Janeway is just another Janeway. And Etana was a random silly villain of the weak created just to give a returning Wesley something to do. DB could announce Mott the barber as the recurring legendary with the best combined DIP in the game and a top 10 overall Voyages rank. I'd love to have the card to improve my crew, but is he really in the same league as the Borg Queen?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, there have been some stinkers (Minuet is the dead horse we keep beating on) but I think we have done really well in recent mega events - Qod and Determined Janeway are both fantastic. Honorable mention should go to Etana Jol as well, if only for how many times I send her out on a voyage over other fantastic engineers. Out of the last several mega events, the only sure-fire whiff for me was Thrax - rolling out Kol as a virtual copy of Kortar for the benefit of players who weren’t around for the second mega event wasn’t the worst choice, but doing it again in the very next mega was a bad move even if Thrax is (slightly) better on paper than either Kol or Kortar.

I agree. Q as God is a great addition to anyone’s crew. Etanna has value, Determined Janeway is a great card, and two out of three of those have pretty rare skill combos. For very little effort I say you really can’t ask for much more. Well, you can but that would be ungrateful

• Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB could announce Mott the barber as the recurring legendary with the best combined DIP in the game and a top 10 overall Voyages rank. I'd love to have the card to improve my crew, but is he really in the same league as the Borg Queen?

Oh, I so want Mott; best barber in Starfleet! Riker was in here the other day and he completely agrees with me.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

Surak was/is no slouch in the SCI department, but yeah. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borg Queen was an icon in Star Trek. But so was Surak -- the father of Vulcan logic who featured as a guest character in two different Star Trek series, despite being long deceased. So I thought both of those were worthy of being "mega". I think Kahless similarly would have been very "mega," and the Klingon mega event read to me like they had originally planned for Kahless to fill that role.

Since then, I agree, the "mega" characters haven't seemed as "mega". Judge Q is really the iconic version of that character, but he's already in the game. So I think Q as "God" was about as close as DB could have come for a Q-themed mega.

Similarly, Wrathful Khan is an iconic bad guy from Star Trek, but he's already in the game. Perhaps there's a version of Sarek we could still add?

There aren't enough "iconic" Star Trek guest stars to fit this trend, so I think DB has done the best they reasonably could in giving us less iconic, but no less usable, crew as recurring legendaries in mega events.

Really, the other iconic characters in Star Trek are the main cast, especially the captains (and Burnham) and the "lead" second crew member, like Spock, Data, 7 of 9, T'Pol, Worf, and Saru. It's time for more of these to be the recurring legendary crew, in my opinion.

I thought Determined Janeway was one of the iconic moments in Voyager for her character, so that was an excellent choice. Wrathful Kirk is a similarly iconic moment for Kirk, but he's already in the game now. Perhaps "Double Dumb-@$$-on-you" Kirk?

Who else would you suggest as mega-worthy recurring legendary crew?
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been multiple great crew from a stat perspective. Janeway, Qod, Etana, Ruffles, etc... I meant from a character perspective. After Borg Queen, they're all kind of meh. Borg Queen was an iconic villain from the best TNG movie that then became a recurring villain on Voyager. Qod might have been close, but when he's just another Q in the game he doesn't feel special. Janeway is just another Janeway. And Etana was a random silly villain of the weak created just to give a returning Wesley something to do. DB could announce Mott the barber as the recurring legendary with the best combined DIP in the game and a top 10 overall Voyages rank. I'd love to have the card to improve my crew, but is he really in the same league as the Borg Queen?

I can understand that. However, if we limited mega recurring characters to only the most iconic of villains (or heroes), we might run out of them awfully quickly. For the most part, I think the mega characters have been appropriate to the stories told during their events. Even Minuet qualifies there.

Perhaps a way to address that disconnect between a character’s epicness and featured status in a mega event would be to run more of the shorter multi-week events? I think the two-parter that helped introduce the Borg faction was great. And to allow people to come out of such an event with a 4/5* crew, maybe have the recurring crew available at the usual threshold as well as 400k VP?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m guessing the announcement will be tomorrow. Not sure what the Las Vegas odds are but I’ll put $20 on it being The Keeper and The M113 Creature. Did I say that correctly?
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borg Queen was an icon in Star Trek. But so was Surak -- the father of Vulcan logic who featured as a guest character in two different Star Trek series, despite being long deceased. So I thought both of those were worthy of being "mega". I think Kahless similarly would have been very "mega," and the Klingon mega event read to me like they had originally planned for Kahless to fill that role.

Since then, I agree, the "mega" characters haven't seemed as "mega". Judge Q is really the iconic version of that character, but he's already in the game. So I think Q as "God" was about as close as DB could have come for a Q-themed mega.

Similarly, Wrathful Khan is an iconic bad guy from Star Trek, but he's already in the game. Perhaps there's a version of Sarek we could still add?

There aren't enough "iconic" Star Trek guest stars to fit this trend, so I think DB has done the best they reasonably could in giving us less iconic, but no less usable, crew as recurring legendaries in mega events.

Really, the other iconic characters in Star Trek are the main cast, especially the captains (and Burnham) and the "lead" second crew member, like Spock, Data, 7 of 9, T'Pol, Worf, and Saru. It's time for more of these to be the recurring legendary crew, in my opinion.

I thought Determined Janeway was one of the iconic moments in Voyager for her character, so that was an excellent choice. Wrathful Kirk is a similarly iconic moment for Kirk, but he's already in the game now. Perhaps "Double Dumb-@$$-on-you" Kirk?

I'm struggling to think of anyone iconic left without a presence in the game. To your point, outside of the main cast, who really is all that iconic? Q -check. Khan - check. Borg Queen - check. Lore? Changeling Founder? I think you're right to say that DB is doing a good job of pumping out useful, if not always inspiring, cards.

If the next theme is Explorer, then we're probably looking at a CMD/DIP/SEC type recurring mega legendary. But are we going to get some sort of main cast in Explorer Gear (Away Team Kirk?), a random ally (Mirasta Yale?), or an antagonist of some sort (some random Voyager enemy)?
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m guessing the announcement will be tomorrow. Not sure what the Las Vegas odds are but I’ll put $20 on it being The Keeper and The M113 Creature. Did I say that correctly?

That would be a great pairing for the October campaign, if that’s what you were thinking of. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »

I'm struggling to think of anyone iconic left without a presence in the game. To your point, outside of the main cast, who really is all that iconic? Q -check. Khan - check. Borg Queen - check. Lore? Changeling Founder? I think you're right to say that DB is doing a good job of pumping out useful, if not always inspiring, cards.

If the next theme is Explorer, then we're probably looking at a CMD/DIP/SEC type recurring mega legendary. But are we going to get some sort of main cast in Explorer Gear (Away Team Kirk?), a random ally (Mirasta Yale?), or an antagonist of some sort (some random Voyager enemy)?

K’mpec isn’t in the game yet.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a great pairing for the October campaign, if that’s what you were thinking of. 🖖

It most certainly was. Love Halloween!!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yes a Keeper campaign would be great. DB could even tie it to a Tuesday pack with a Keeper from Discovery.

apjiy0mkralh.jpg
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the Borg Queen is Iconic and worthy of the Mega Legendary title. Problem is, very few other characters hold up to that standard or are already in the game.

From DB's perspective, I can even imagine them beating themselves over the head for handing out the Borg Queen for free. Iconic characters are highly desired and can bring in cash, of course.

Having said that, there are still a few Iconic characters left. Henry Starling, Captain Ransom, Commander Shelby come to mind. And a few other versions of already present characters. Ceti Alpha Khan for instance.

If you lower the bar from the pretty high Borg Queen standard, most recurring legendaries have been ok. I didn't much care for Kol, Minuet, Jol or Kortar myself. But opinions differ, no problem.
  • Options
    with fewer megas, DB could reserve the highly regarded characters that are still not in the game for those megas, and truly invest in those characters. When you run one every other month, you're bound to end up with duds.

There are still characters like Inner Light Picard, or Shelby that are not in game that would make pretty good mega characters

• Options
    with fewer megas, DB could reserve the highly regarded characters that are still not in the game for those megas, and truly invest in those characters. When you run one every other month, you're bound to end up with duds.

There are still characters like Inner Light Picard, or Shelby that are not in game that would make pretty good mega characters

I fail to see the logic of this. Fewer megas means fewer mega recurring legendaries. DB would still have to make events and run events so how would this lower their workload and give the players better mega recurring people? And fewer mega recurring crew means DB would have to get each one perfect or people would be angry. DB could just do a Shelby now. I think the megas are probably easier for DB to make. DB can pick a trait, see which crew in game has that trait, then think of crew they could have with that trait. Then tie a story together that involves a conflict spread out over a month instead of having to come up with four different stories like they do in a regular month.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    more does not mean good, that's where the logic lies
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more does not mean good, that's where the logic lies

More certainly does mean good if I get a free 4/5 legendary every mega and can buy discount packs during the month.

That certainly sounds good to me

• Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, yes there are, like "Glad to see his son" Sarek!

ScalyPleasantEastrussiancoursinghounds-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all the piling on Minuet takes, she’s sitting there in droves in every stinking gauntlet with that touchy 800+ waiting to sink a streak or drink up 50 merits. I think maybe the criticism is less warranted than what folks make of her.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antasil wrote: »
    Yes, the Borg Queen is Iconic and worthy of the Mega Legendary title. Problem is, very few other characters hold up to that standard or are already in the game.

From DB's perspective, I can even imagine them beating themselves over the head for handing out the Borg Queen for free. Iconic characters are highly desired and can bring in cash, of course.

Having said that, there are still a few Iconic characters left. Henry Starling, Captain Ransom, Commander Shelby come to mind. And a few other versions of already present characters. Ceti Alpha Khan for instance.

If you lower the bar from the pretty high Borg Queen standard, most recurring legendaries have been ok. I didn't much care for Kol, Minuet, Jol or Kortar myself. But opinions differ, no problem.

Sorry but, if you have to google a character to confirm who they are, they're not iconic. Henry Starling and Captain Ransom may

yes, yes there are, like "Glad to see his son" Sarek!

ScalyPleasantEastrussiancoursinghounds-size_restricted.gif

All of the movie Sareks are still missing too.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torias327 wrote: »
    For all the piling on Minuet takes, she’s sitting there in droves in every stinking gauntlet with that touchy 800+ waiting to sink a streak or drink up 50 merits. I think maybe the criticism is less warranted than what folks make of her.

I could get on board with the idea that she is a good defender to have out there. On offense? Her COM proficiency isn’t anything to write home about and there isn’t a third skill at all. And I don’t pick gauntleteers based on defense.
  • Options
    Clarice, I know. But who the hell is Henry Starling? Also, my 1/5 Keeper would welcome snagging the other four stars in a campaign.